• 5 weeks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6 weeks

• More than 6 weeks

• Total voters

Wlj

Setting this thread up to share my D&C experience and recovery journey, and hope this can help support others who may have to undergo, have undergone the procedure, or are in the process of recovery.

Sorry for our losses... and wishing all a smooth recovery.

First time pregnant, was told at 7 weeks that embryo stopped growing at 6 weeks and measured only 3mm with heart rate 71-74bpm. This was from two opinions sought on two consecutive days. Doctor advised that even if we waited longer, would likely result in a miscarriage in the next 2 weeks to come. Furthermore, as parents, we'd not be able to stop worrying about accompanying abnormalities throughout. We were heartbroken. Nevertheless, made the tough but - as we saw it - rational decision to schedule D&C for the next day.

D&C on 30 April 2016 (Day 0)

Fasted (no food, no water) from 2.00 am last night.
05:30 Arrived at hospital and registered for admission.
06:00 In ward. Took Cytotec orally.
06:15 Cramps started to build up.
06:30 to 07:15 Intense and painful cramps, body chills during which my body kept trembling and teeth chattered occasionally.
07:15 to 07:30 Discomfort subsided and ceased.
08:00 D&C surgery under general anesthesia.
After D&C (which typically lasts 15 minutes), rested, ate crackers with milo while watching TV.
09:00 Doctor stopped by to check on condition - no pain, slight grogginess from the anesthesia, slight spotting on pad which they put on for me after the surgery, soft tummy area - told me that I could arrange for discharge when I was ready, and said it's important I urinate once before I leave. If I can't urinate, she was to be notified immediately as it may be a complication from the anesthesia.
10:45 Having slept a lot and drank 500 ml of water by then, I urinated. Copious amount of blood gushed out too. It felt like a heavy second day menstrual flow with slight pain as it came out, nothing more.
11:00 Arranged for discharge and headed home to rest.

Symptoms after D&C
(Bathed daily as usual throughout and made sure to dry off properly before wearing clothes to avoid getting han3.)

Days 1 to 6:
Moderate amount of bleeding, no more than 1 medium sanitary pad per day.
Discomfort from heavy bloating. Tummy area looks 12-week pregnant.
Slight pain and bleeding when urinating.
Moving too much seems to set back the recovery process as more blood can be seen after more movement, so basically sat myself down on the couch everyday after I awake and either watched TV or read books. Only got up to cook light healthy meals - most often porridge with fish and leafy vegetables, and to use the washroom.
Weepy for the first few days.

Days 7 to 8:
Brown spotting. One pantyliner per day was sufficient.
Bloating less but still looked 12-week pregnant. Gassy.
Calm emotional state.

Days 9 to 11:
Bloating gradually subsided.
First semblance of normalcy and sense of recovering well.
Still refrained from moving too much.
No longer grieving.

Days 12 onwards:
Bloating gone.
First time happy after D&C.
Able to vacuum and mop our home without spotting/bleeding.

Days 15 to 16:
First 2 days of my period. Surprised as I thought my period wouldn't return so soon, but it feels like my usual menstruation does and flow amount is the same as my period prior to D&C too. Researched that most periods return between 4 to 6 weeks after. Then came across http://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancy-complications/d-and-c-procedure-after-miscarriage/ which says "your next regular period, which could be anywhere from 2-6 weeks after the D&C procedure."

Waiting to see if this continues normally as a 7-day period like I had before D&C, and hope to be able to ttc again the following cycle!

Hi Wlj, thank you so much for sharing this. Really appreciate it.

I have some questions:
1) how long were you on MC after the op?

2) did your gynae arrange for a post-op review?

3) was your second period after the op regular?

Thanks so much.

chenbet, I was on MC for two weeks - fortunately boss was very understanding.

Yes, gynae arranged to see me 10 days after the op to check on physical and emotional well-being including an intravaginal ultrasound to examine if the uterus was back to normal size. She also offered me the option of a miscarriage profile, which I took up and provided blood and urine samples for testing. At the same appointment, she was also able to do a Pap smear for me (unrelated to D&C).

Second period came exactly when I expected it; the cycle duration was the same as pre-op's. Period duration one day shorter than pre-op's.

Hope this helps

chenbet, I was on MC for two weeks - fortunately boss was very understanding.

Yes, gynae arranged to see me 10 days after the op to check on physical and emotional well-being including an intravaginal ultrasound to examine if the uterus was back to normal size. She also offered me the option of a miscarriage profile, which I took up and provided blood and urine samples for testing. At the same appointment, she was also able to do a Pap smear for me (unrelated to D&C).

Second period came exactly when I expected it; the cycle duration was the same as pre-op's. Period duration one day shorter than pre-op's.

Hope this helps
Hi Wlj

Inspired by your optimism... :)

Can you share more about the miscarriage profile? I had a natural mc of my first pregnancy in June (7wks), went to Kkh cos of sudden bleeding. But docs just checked my womb and stuff and ask me to go back in end July after 2 checks. I'm thinking to check the cause of mc as I'm but the docs didn't offer and gave me the impression that it's rather common. Thinking what should I ask the doc at Kkh when I'm back for review.

Thanks!

I think this verywell site outlines what testing can be done. A few vials of my blood was taken and sent to the lab. When the results came back, and my ob-gyn ran me through the results (all normal), I didn't pay it much notice further and tucked it away somewhere (sorry can't share more on this!)

Post-D&C, we only took a month off ttc.

By early October, I tested pregnant again and am now in the 13th week :) Hoping all goes well from here.

Setting this thread up to share my D&C experience and recovery journey, and hope this can help support others who may have to undergo, have undergone the procedure, or are in the process of recovery.

Sorry for our losses... and wishing all a smooth recovery.

First time pregnant, was told at 7 weeks that embryo stopped growing at 6 weeks and measured only 3mm with heart rate 71-74bpm. This was from two opinions sought on two consecutive days. Doctor advised that even if we waited longer, would likely result in a miscarriage in the next 2 weeks to come. Furthermore, as parents, we'd not be able to stop worrying about accompanying abnormalities throughout. We were heartbroken. Nevertheless, made the tough but - as we saw it - rational decision to schedule D&C for the next day.

D&C on 30 April 2016 (Day 0)

Fasted (no food, no water) from 2.00 am last night.
05:30 Arrived at hospital and registered for admission.
06:00 In ward. Took Cytotec orally.
06:15 Cramps started to build up.
06:30 to 07:15 Intense and painful cramps, body chills during which my body kept trembling and teeth chattered occasionally.
07:15 to 07:30 Discomfort subsided and ceased.
08:00 D&C surgery under general anesthesia.
After D&C (which typically lasts 15 minutes), rested, ate crackers with milo while watching TV.
09:00 Doctor stopped by to check on condition - no pain, slight grogginess from the anesthesia, slight spotting on pad which they put on for me after the surgery, soft tummy area - told me that I could arrange for discharge when I was ready, and said it's important I urinate once before I leave. If I can't urinate, she was to be notified immediately as it may be a complication from the anesthesia.
10:45 Having slept a lot and drank 500 ml of water by then, I urinated. Copious amount of blood gushed out too. It felt like a heavy second day menstrual flow with slight pain as it came out, nothing more.
11:00 Arranged for discharge and headed home to rest.

Symptoms after D&C
(Bathed daily as usual throughout and made sure to dry off properly before wearing clothes to avoid getting han3.)

Days 1 to 6:
Moderate amount of bleeding, no more than 1 medium sanitary pad per day.
Discomfort from heavy bloating. Tummy area looks 12-week pregnant.
Slight pain and bleeding when urinating.
Moving too much seems to set back the recovery process as more blood can be seen after more movement, so basically sat myself down on the couch everyday after I awake and either watched TV or read books. Only got up to cook light healthy meals - most often porridge with fish and leafy vegetables, and to use the washroom.
Weepy for the first few days.

Days 7 to 8:
Brown spotting. One pantyliner per day was sufficient.
Bloating less but still looked 12-week pregnant. Gassy.
Calm emotional state.

Days 9 to 11:
Bloating gradually subsided.
First semblance of normalcy and sense of recovering well.
Still refrained from moving too much.
No longer grieving.

Days 12 onwards:
Bloating gone.
First time happy after D&C.
Able to vacuum and mop our home without spotting/bleeding.

Days 15 to 16:
First 2 days of my period. Surprised as I thought my period wouldn't return so soon, but it feels like my usual menstruation does and flow amount is the same as my period prior to D&C too. Researched that most periods return between 4 to 6 weeks after. Then came across http://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancy-complications/d-and-c-procedure-after-miscarriage/ which says "your next regular period, which could be anywhere from 2-6 weeks after the D&C procedure."

Waiting to see if this continues normally as a 7-day period like I had before D&C, and hope to be able to ttc again the following cycle!
Hi,

If you dont mind, how much is the D&C procedure cost?

Back