Cup cakes for birthday

Eliz, for some colours especially like the yellow and black i used for my spongebob cake.....have to put alot of the col gel. u have to knead and try, not enough, add more and knead.

Hi ladies,
I'm an amateur in baking. May I know where can I find good recipes to start off with. Simple baking like cup cakes, cheese cakes? Where can I buy good quality baking equipment? Thanks for sharing.

Your cakes and macs all looks very pro leh, really makes me salivates and motivate me to try baking.

FAtmum, Pink,
ya hor. what caused the hollowness in the macs?
Regarding my hard like stones macs...the dunno why cos when i baked abt 15min, the whole things still spongy to touch...so i tot not cooked yet. i throw it back into the oven again. then came out aft cooled, hard like stones...heheheh

Pink,
Thanks for providing so yummy refreshment during the workshop. Otherwise, I seldom get to "taste" your bakes. Good luck in your conquest of the "Pink Macaroons" !!!!

1-0, Cat, 0 & Yany
CONGRATS!!! Much success on first attempt..so enouraging. So sad cldn't join.

Catika/S@L
Thanks for sharing. I bought Wilton for my colouring but got brown, didn't see any black.
Must go find again.

S@L
Your Spongebob cake very nice!!

eliz, saw about 4/5 bottles at Sunlik during our last meetup to eat chicken rice... last week? ... i bought a bottle... costs about 4 if i didn't rememeber wrongly...
happy.gif

most of the time... black sold out pretty fast... can try PH at JE also...
happy.gif

mash, no prob!
happy.gif

I tried baking choco chip cupcakes over the wkends using Peng's recipes. It tastes nice leh.. but huh.. when my cupcake looks like a mountain? I thought cupcake should be flat top. Any experts can tell me what went wrong? Thanks
happy.gif

1828486.jpg

juz baked macs... using 4hr chao sng eggs... hmm... juz blended almond+sugar... sky turned grey... POINT of NO RETURN... carry on experiment...

all nicely folded etc... not watery batter...

piped... waited about 20-25mins... still a bit stick to finger... aiyah! push whole tray into oven... *cross fingers*

result... FAIL lor... but they are nice cookies... all nicely done and texture and taste and bite-feel is RIGHT... except no feet lor...
happy.gif

1828683.jpg

1828684.jpg
1828685.jpg

Wah, a few days busy with Deepavali never log in so mnay wonderful goodies. Also dunno got miss the spree or not.

Cookiepie, got place for me for 1 mat? Now that I have got a new oven can start my baking again. So the mat can fit Tecno 42L right?

Peng & Macs-crazed mums, can u i check how u all age the eggs? i cracked the eggs seperate the white and leave in air tight container overnight. is that correct? Will not go chao sng right?

Eliz, ya black quite difficult to get. but today i was at Haig Road bake king shop i saw. maybe u want to go there and buy? or jus call any phoon huat see where they hv stock. The hougang one always no stock

sol, to age the eggs is to 'dry up' the eggs a bit... i didn't put air tight lid leh... i just use those ceramic container with loose lid to cover....
happy.gif

CAt, so wont go chao sng? Peng, in fridge no need cover hor? hahaha. so i hv been 'aging' the eggs meaninglessly...whahahaha....

nvr mind try again.

Wow all into macaroons.

Me also curious how it is baked, hence tried out my first attempt. FAILED. hahahaha
1829713.jpg

Same as Cat, I find the taste is good lei, chewy too. But totally flat. hee Lucky behind not hollow. Using parchment paper veri hard to remove. Lucky use the tip from PINK.
So Pink, what went wrong???? Can you tell? :)

J's mum, S@L,
pls do count me in if can find the tupperware sifter!

S@L,
ya hor, mayb can bring my MMF to ur place to show u how it looks like! hehe, and mayb can see how urs look like while u practising making for ur girl's party! kekeke

yany,
paiseh lah, will post more later if i have more 'creations' but now, the only pics i hv is only the baked donuts, cream puff and one or two cupcakes :p

hmm, the macs look like very difficult to make... i must go 'read up' the recipe first :p

pink,
ur creations are always so nice!

n2inpink,
wow... you really made a lot of food during weekend... looks so yummy... your cakes very nice...
happy.gif

I think I'll store the figurine in fridge if I can successfully make it... :p I'll heed your advise and make it 1 week ahead. Btw, if I put the figurine on a cream covered cake, can stick to it? or I need to insert stick in both figurine and cake as my figurine will be a standing one (ideally)... btw, I watched a few video clip about making figurine... some use a toothstick to connect the head and body, some don't... which is better?

hi jacelyn,
thks for your kind words...
happy.gif

for 1st bday? hm.......
what you comfortable with? b'cream? whipping/fresh cream? fondant?
if b'cream or fresh cream, you can use sponge cake.
if fondant, then u need madaira cake.
if you don't want to waste time in decorating or doing figurine.
perhaps you can use fresh cream, then deco it with fruits, that's really save time
happy.gif

let me know what is your comfort level, then i'll try my best to guide you.
Pls bear in mind i'm only an amateur, not a pro chef, my advise might be not really the right way for real chef
happy.gif

anxylyn,
welcome onboard !
plenty recipes are available in the internet.
if you want the tasted recipe, you may visit aunty yo, or peng or my blog:
http://auntyyochana.blogspot.com
http://pengskitchen.blogspot.com
http://myhumblearts.blogspot.com
perhaps you can start with muffin, or butter cake
happy trying!

KENG,
u most welcome !
actually if i've more time during lunch, i can meet you at queens town or commonwealth oso
happy.gif

Eliz,
last week i saw PH simei hv stock for black color. perhaps u can give them acall.

snowbelle,
hehehe! thks for your kind words
happy.gif

figurine not advisable put inside the fridge wor, scared will effect the texture if you put too long.
perhaps juz put at the room temperature, you got any corner more cooling side?

janiviy,
thks for the link.... looks very chim
happy.gif

perhaps will try, so many step hor?

wow, u from shermay school leh.. then very expert in macs liao.... then your advise is more than $20 worth... kekeke!
can nominate u as our macs mentor?
if you have time, pls visit us and advise us ya?
give us some important pointer
happy.gif

cos i never attend any class, so really rely on trial and error.
yes, i understand you can't release the recipe at here, it's a courtesy, infact, i respect your decision
happy.gif

again, thks ya?
what is your advise on my pink "failed" macs?
to me, seems like underbake, but the taste no doubt, when i put into mouth, can melt.
u have any idea why got feet but hollow inside?

last nite i tried pink macs again, using silpat, the result is excellent.
the last round failed macs, i'm using silicon mat.

haiyoo.... can't wait for my silpat to arrived !!!!

my "fruits":
chocolate macarons ready to go:
1831085.jpg

S@L,
keke, we sama sama, use same design...kekeke!

anyone can spot wat is missing? luckily before the collection, i've attached the missing part.. haha!
1831086.jpg

1831087.jpg

barney head:
1831088.jpg

barney with cupcake (to "poke" the candle)
1831089.jpg

shinkansen train cupcakes, the train is edible, from MMF:
1831090.jpg

hey pink. u forgot to include the barney cake as yr fruit.. Thanx for the lovely & yummy cake! My boy cant stop touching the cake the moment he saw it.. During photo taking, his eyes cant take off the cake too.. : p

1831141.jpg

Hi Ladies,

Just managed to sneak in here for a while...haiz...been banned by hubby from coming into this HIGH temptation thread.

Really PEi Fu all mummies here who have so much energy n passion in your baking. I hv nothing to contribute though, just come in to kapoh here and there niah...hehe.

For those who are looking for tupperware siever, I am trying my best to help you gals source from other tupperware members. I have listed here and please let me know if I hv miss out anyone.

<u>Waiting list for Tupperware Sift N Stor</u>
1) S@L
2) Fatmum
3) Lynzi
4) Mashmallow
5) Kathy
6) Yany
7) Pink
8) Peng
9) Sally
10) Plim

<font color="0000ff">Pink,

OMG...you got so many NEW CREATIONS!!! So NICE and YUMMY!!! Got my hint or not? </font>

Peng,

U never fail to impress me too.

<font color="119911">Westerners (Catika, Eileen, Ling, Yany)

Heard you gals had a great time baking the marcorons. It must be fun baking together.</font>

Ok, got to run now...'police' coming back soon. <font color="ff0000">'whistle' </font>

Js'mum
Can I check the price of the sifter? I am also looking for something like this. Thanks

Pink
Wat the barney's head made of? Paper mache? Not edible right? Just curious...
happy.gif

hi ladies..
long time no post here..very nice to see all the delicious 'fruits' here.. especially the macaroons..is it a must to get the silamat to bake macaroons? Can use only baking paper?

i bake bread over the long weekend but why mind dun rise very high after 2 hrs? Can i ask a few qns to the shifu here.. can advise me.. :p
1) Can open the cloth when proofing bread?
2) The clingwrap actually stick on the dough, when i carefully remove it, the dough actually collapse abit. i guess i disturb the proofing process, after that the dough dun rise anymore higher.

i have put in some pics in my blog.. any shifu here can advise me?
http://baking-in-me.blogspot.com/

J'smum, im interested to get the sifter.. maybe i know how much issit?

Elaine77...first proofing put the dough in a bowl and cover the bowl with clingwrap..the wrap does not touch the dough..second proof cover the dough with damp kitchen towel..

yesterday nite bake a wholemeal bread...guess wat..i sotong head again..put PLAIN FLOUR instead of Bread Flour!!..lucky the bread still can eat leh

1831615.jpg
1831616.jpg

today's lunch...Beer Chicken Stew..no water add only beer :D
1831617.jpg

Hammie...hahaha...i thought so loh..at least this time round it raise a bit nicely...

Maruolin...yah like almond cookie think next round going to add green tea powder for diff taste liao :D

good to have different taste but i remember pink mention that the green tea one quite difficult to handle wor! I have been doing the plain ones only.

Pink, ya hehehe same design. i actually recommended my fren to you. thats Pauline's cake right?
happy.gif

i no confidence to make for her la...so i ask her to contact you....very nice she told me!

but cannot tell what is missing le...hehehe u added on already ma, so hard to tell la.But let me make a guess...the HANDS!! Cos i missed that part too before i packed my Spongebob into the box...*LOL
looking forward to my nice nice HK cake kekekekee.,

n2inpink,
thanks for the recommendation. I will go into the web to see see look look.

This is such a bubbly thread. Really very motivating for aspiring bakers leh.

n2inpink,
Your cakes look very lovely. Must be such a memorable birthday.. For the shinkansen trains, can I know where to get it from (MMF)?

S@L,
kekeke! u oso sotong like tat? lucky u still remember huh...
yes, tats Pauline's cake... she told me abt u
happy.gif

the sponge bob picture i posted is missing "tat part"...
look one more time.... it's NOSE lah... hahaha! lucky i faster make the nose and put it on the cake... hahaha!

3rascals (june06) ,
glad the kids like it..... especially your boy
happy.gif

and.... u looks younger than i first meet u !! who will believe u hv 2 kids? neither your face nor figure can tell at all.... haha!

iadji,
thks for your kind words.... hope u coping well with your kids
happy.gif

muffin (cupcake),
barney head made from madeira cake, then crumb coated with b'cream. all edible.
how are u? your princess still jelous with baby?

maruolin,
yes, to me, matcha macs is not easy to achieve, perhaps 'cos i'm amateur with macs.
perhaps PENG can handle? we never know mah.

muffin, joanne,
i kpo? i think last time i get it at S$19.90
but hor, now the issue is, phased out liao... dunno how is the price, let's wait for jsmum to advise us.

js'mum,
no forget abt u lah..... will pass some macs and other goodies for u ;)
then hor.....
i Q #7 in the shopping list? die lah.... got hope to get it?
can jump Q? hahaha! later i kana parang knife from 6 mommies......
lucky i got 1 liao.... very useful, especially if i want to sift the almond ground.... less than 5mnts done!
then when i wanna make MMF, gotta sift the icing sugar to make sure no lump.... use tupperware is the fastest lor....
then very easy to wash also.
phased out oredi, i've to treasure it liao.

elaine77,
for me, i'll still prefer silpat mat rather then silicon mat. the macs "butt" will be beautiful and easier to handle.

for bread, i do open the cloth when proofing bread, ofcourse once in awhile lar... dun open every 5minutes.
pls check your yeast and make sure is not expired?
did your bread content salt? if so, it might be another story liao....

Anxylyn (lwg26),
u most welcome, u'll addicted with aunty yo blog, so many mouth watering recipes there.

for the shinkansen train, it's edible, i mould it my self, free hand mould, made from fondant.
i'm using marshmallow fondant to make.
it's like play dough.

Back