Cooking Tips & Recipe

LittleCat,
Your ds is cute!
happy.gif

Great rosy complexion, which I think takes after you right?
Very strong looking even though he is pui pui
happy.gif

lyn,
Thanks for info on cooking wakame for babies... I'll try that next time!

cecelia, annlee,
If go to the Seletar Hills Restaurant and if it's someone's birthday, remember to call and tell them ahead so they can make complimentary red date buns for you!

annlee,
Check with you, I think you use lots of California Baby products?
Do you use their sunscreens? Any good?Cos got BP on Calif Baby products now, and this shopping queen is tempted
happy.gif

LittleCat,
What a handsome prince u have... BTW, how old har.. think of pairing with my gal lei... Ha.. ha... ;)

Lyn,
Thx for the advise.

Sop,
I try their soyabean with wasabi which i find it yummy. Ooic.. meaning bean will cause wind for ur dd?

Annlee, Sop
Thank u for the addie.

Annlee,
Why are u on lil confi? Kinda of detox?

Cecelia,
Woah, you very fast leh... annlee just told you about the Seletar Hills Restaurant and you went already?
happy.gif

I'll try that next time.
As for beans, yep, my PD says anything that causes wind in myself will cause wind in breastfed babies, so just try to avoid for now while still bf. I think it's esp. for super-windy babies like mine.

annlee, cecilia & Sop, thanks !
happy.gif

annlee, during the little confinement, do u eat all the heaty stuffs? do you pick certain date to start? like may be after menses?

Cecilia, the Seletar Hill Restaurant, i tried before, good! but hor abit difficult to spot the place.. but worth the effort to go there to eat.
My boy is 8month+, how old is your girl?

Lyn, i give the most commonly use 'ngo-he' leh.. somehow he can't take it..
oh local got discount till 30/june? whao better go tomorrow liao..

Sop, wait till u see him cry haha! and he really can't sit still, always want the maid to hold him so he can walk and very greedy, want to walk with BIG step...
haha may be he is fair so looks more rosy...
How's is sophie ?

sophie,

Thanks for the infor of complimentary red date bun!

Hey...I'm thinking of getting their sunblock too...and also their swimmers shampoo. Not sure abt the sunblock yet but twinkle given some comments... I find their aloe vera cream not bad.

littlecat,
yes...I eat all the heaty stuff, those confinement food for 7 days. Let me know if you want the procedure of what to eat and when to eat during the 7 days. Must start from the first day of menses.

hi gals! long time no see!!
Little cat,
Ur son is so cute!!! v big bright eyes!!!
Sophie
I like CB products for their scents. esp shampoo n wash. The sunblock with insect repellent smells heavenly too!!
Ladies,
I need to chk for rice cooker chicken rice, wats the portion of water to rice. Mine always turn out soggy!!

annlee, yes yes, can you send to me?
do u feel heaty after eating all those?
i m abit toward the heaty type leh, easily get sore throat if dun take care..

Ambrosial/muffin, thx, thx!
Long time no see, how r u gals?

this thread is like so quiet u gals must drop by more often leh..

yeah i want to know the tips also, my also soggy not like those shop one ...

annlee,
Can send the confinement food info to me too?
I didn;t do a proper confinement this round... fell sick twice during confinement so wondering if I shd do a "makeup" confinement.
But like LittleCat, I am also the heaty sort, and now bf, easily constipated too!

Ambrosial,
I was just thinking about you when I ordered my cat food today!
happy.gif

hey girls,
Thanks for info on the Calif Baby products... I just ordered the shampoo/bodywash & sunblock/bug repellent
happy.gif

Chicken Rice in rice cooker
I add just enough water to cover the rice and ingredients, so far so good.

LittleCat,

been busy with work..will come in more often.
happy.gif

Sophie,

I switched Sally's catfood to Royal Canin... Taste yummy and has hairball control.
happy.gif

hi Ambrosial,
I'll try Royal Canin next time!

Btw, you bought a sewing machine last year right?
What brand is it... Brother?
How much did you pay for it?
Have you tried sewing T-shirt material? Does it sew T-shirt material well i.e. does it gather up the material?

I'm wondering if I should invest in a sewing machine
happy.gif

Then can make pretty clothes for my baby... haha, but that's more like daydreaming... only if I have time to even sleep
wink.gif

Sophie,

It's Janome and costed abt $250.
Haven't been sewing lately cos' i'm busy...want to make bags actually
happy.gif

Are you taking care of your dd alone? Do you have help?

Ambrosial,
Oh, my MIL's one is also Janome... ok, I'll go check it out at Spotlight, then decide if I got time to sew
happy.gif

Yep, taking care of dd alone. No help cos my mum is taking care of my sis' ds for her, and my MIL... eh, I think she's not really a baby person
wink.gif
The few weeks she stayed with me - she was quite stressed about what to cook cos I think she don't really cook much... then she's out almost every afternoon, either to the gym or to color her hair or weave eyebrows... so I don't find it much help to me that's why didn't ask her to help anymore
happy.gif

You got a new job? Hope everything is going well!
How's Sally?

Sophie,

If you need some time out, think your mil will still be pretty helpful.
happy.gif

I got my Janome from Mustafah.

Add me on Flickr? I do most of my updates there now.
happy.gif

Ambrosial,
Added you to Flickr!
I'll upload some pics of baby when I am more free...

Heee.. in order for my MIL to be helpful, I have to first travel from Bishan to Bukit Panjang to "deposit" my baby with her, then I can do my stuff... cos she hardly comes to my place
wink.gif

Too far to travel with a baby!

Hmm.. Mustafa used to be my fav hangout! But now got baby, hardly go there cos too crowded.

annlee,
Got the mini confinement thingy!
I'll prob try it once baby starts more solids
happy.gif

annlee,
I just found this organic website that does online shopping... it's the same company as Vitakids that is in Vivocity & Paragon.

http://www.zenadu.ecrater.com/

Of course only thing is have to pay delivery charges.
But ti's a useful site for checking out prices online
happy.gif

"Delivery charges: Delivery is free if your total purchase is above S$100.00. If your order is less than $50, the delivery charge is $12. For purchases between $50 - $100, the delivery charge is $8."

Cecelia,
Is yr gal feeling better now? Hope she has a speedy recovery.

Lyn,
Yes, am still breastfeeding in the evening and morning.
Trying to wean off but can't.
Tried SY's method. Tried leaving baby at my mum's place in the evening. But he cried so much and can't sleep. In the end brought him back home.

Pris,
Kai is very lucky to have so many fun-filled activities lining up for him.
Fm yr website can see that he's having so much fun.
happy.gif

Twinkle,
Take yr time to look for a suitable job. Meanwhile enjoy the time with yr DS.
happy.gif
Think babies grow and change so fast.

Littlecat,
Confirm yr DS2 take over the pui pui title! He is so chubby and rosy!
happy.gif

Annlee,
By now u should have finished yr little confinement. Salute u, and its really an achievement. Last june was doing my confinement and washed my hair everyday. Cannot tahan. Now that u finished yr little confinement, do u feel better? Do u find it good? If its good, think i will do one little confinement after stop breastfeeding.

Ambrosial,
Long time since u since chatted with us.
U have been busy with yr new job?

Sophie's Ma,
How is princess Sophie doing? Are u starting her on semi-solid soon? Pls try to refrain fm coconut stuffs also. Cos realised that if i take coconut or coconut by-product, my baby will get windy as well. Are u bringing Sophie out often?

Gals,

I need some gift ideas leh. my ds infant care teacher is leaving wondering what gift is suitable. i want something she will remember my son lor since he is her favourite pet.

u gals hv any idea?

hb say photo mug then i think if broken then no more liao.

starry,
Actually I stopped coconut too, since baby was 2 mths old. Cos I ate nonya chicken curry once, and Sophie started merlion-ing lots... and really projectile ones!

I'm starting semi-solids on 8 Aug
happy.gif
The day Soph turns 6 mths old! But very hard to find Earth's Best rice cereal (went to a few Cold Storages all don't have), so maybe just use Healthy Times.

Not bringing her out as often as I like cos
1. she can't sleep well at night cos of colic, so during daytime, I try to let ehr nap as much as possible
2. she has problem sleeping in stroller outside i.e. someone has to keep carrying her, so very difficult for me to take her out alone.

I thinkn photo mug is good idea leh - something she'll use everyday and can see your ds. Breakable yes, but no choice leh.
Maybe add a homemade card with your ds' pic in it too?

Hmm.... your contract work sounds good! Hope it works out well for you! How long is the contract?

Annlee, thanks for the recepi, wah like not easy leh.. cos i am very bad in following instruction :p

twinkle, how about unbreakable handmade photo frame from cloth? ok dun ask me how to make hor haha!

My salad/vege meal still on, now i discover more variety instead of just the lettuce + tomato + cucumber...
i will try bake/toast the following with some olive oil & salt & pepper :
- mushroom
- asparagus
- capsicum (green/yellow/red), taste abit sweet and nice
- red/green chilli, even better than capsicum since it got extra chilli hot taste
- brinjal/eggplant, slice it, add abit of venegar
- for protein, either a hard boil egg, can tuna or breast meat (steam or bake)

yummy!!

sophie mum,
the contract is only a year but i signed for 6 mths . ha ha ha me still looking around for opportunities so i guess it give us both some benefits. aiyo today is my 1st day at work and they ask me interested to be permanent after 6 mths, i told them will decide then hahaha. i really need some life ho ho ho.

Little cat,
photoframe also gd idea. i can use the ones my ds did in his wkend classes hee...

i also wan to go on diet leh but me no determination one. guess what the days that i dun work i actually lost 2kg so i m proposing it to my hb me dun wan to work :p

Twinkle starry,
Wow means ur performance so good that they offered you permanent on the 1st day. BTW, which line are you in?

Y, dun work can lose weight. Am agree fully on it as me dun work 1 week lost 2 kg.

cecelia,

aiyo pai say me no good lah but they need someone to fix problems mah. i m in IT

Now i think i am started to gain back my weight again, these few days hv been eating nice food with my US mates hee
happy.gif

annlee,
Remember you told me about Bellamy Baby Rice?
I bought it, but is it the same as rice cereal? i.e. is it suitable for baby's first solid food?

Abit blur now...
wink.gif

Also, I think starry mentioned Earth's Best is good, but since I could not find Earth's Best at most places, I got Healthy Times instead.
But Healthy Times & Earth's Best are brown rice... I thought brown rice harder to digest compared to white rice? (Bellamy is white rice)

sophie mummy,

i got the Earth best at Brown rice paradise or Vitakids. my ds took brown rice better than white when he is on cereals. i think they do hv websites but not sure do they do delivery. If u need the brown rice paradise discount card, i can give u my card no.

Hi all mummies

Glad to know that all of you are still so active in here. I hardly have time now when it is summer that Kai can't wait for more fun in the sum.

Yummy yummy all the recipes that are mentioned. Wakame according to the nutrient value on the package that are sold in Vancouver does not show that it has calcium or any vitamin as I used them for miso soup and also for noodle soup for Kai who loves any kind of seaweeds. So I am wondering the one in Singapore as it has calcium, vitamin etc?

hey mummies,

not sure abt the calcium in the wakame but i bought mine at the hokkaido fair at tampines last weekend and the lady told me contain calcium . I also not very sure bcos the packaging din mentioned.

Pris,

looking for you. Like to find out how you extend yr leave. Call headquarter or write in (to whom). Normally, how long wil they take to approve. My AM gave me an email add which I wrote in for extension of leave but have not received any reply. Current one-year leave is ending soon. Pls advise.

starry,
Thanks for the card no.!
happy.gif
I was at United Square Globetrotters yesterday and there was a new Vitakids there - finally saw the Earth's Best cereal.
I'll get the Brown Rice Paradise card no. from you when I need to go there and stock more organic stuff... they don't need the actual card itself?

My baby is coming 24 weeks old next Thurs! So exciting about starting semi solids for her
happy.gif

Pris, starry,
My wakame packaging is all in Japanese, so cannot read leh, but here is a link on nutritional value of sea veges:
http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/kitchentips/seaveg.html

I think nutritional value of all wakame, wherever it is packaged, should be roughly the same.

sophie,
the organic link is good...can see the price of the fish oil I bought, luckily I bought from the spree.

Abt Bellamy rice, I can't remember but I saw my nephew is taking it and is rice cereal. Is for 6 months onward right? You can start with white rice cereal first and if you think doesn't cause sophie any constipation then switch to brown rice. Brown one is healthier lor...

twinkle,
yeah...the aloe vera cream not bad huh... wanted to go hokkaido fair but later found out is at Tampines not Isetan scott so drop the idea. Did you get any ramen or sweet stuff at the fair? Saw them on the newspaper, looks good.

annlee,
Yeah, I think sprees are still cheaper.
I'm gonna start looking out for more Lucky Vitamin spree too - bought some nursing mom tea from a Lucky Vit spree, but still waiting for it.

Oh, I checked the Bellamy baby rice already. Yeah, it's rice cereal, so like how you advise, I'm gonna start baby on white rice cereal first, then if OK, switch to brown rice cereal.

sophie,

regards to the brown rice paradise card hor, i normally tell them my card no. and they ok leh. i was at United Sq on Sat but no time to shop shop. i dun hv vitakids VIP leh i think need huge purchases and i did mine mostly at my neighbourhood organic store liao.

Annlee,
u know what , i knew abt the fair and forgot all abt it. then on Sun i went tampines to get a gift then saw the fair and quickly grab a few things and run off bcos ds want to sleep. no chances to eat there also and long long q... i bought the Jap rice, the dried salmon flakes and wakame.

starry,
Good to hear that Brown Rice Paradise is quite easy with the card number thingy. Cos lots of places e.g. Kiddy Palace requires the actualy cards. But so leychey to bring so many cards out!

Your neighbourhood has an organic store? So good...

sophie,

here is a very small store but ok for me bcos now my ds is bigger liao he take mixture of organic and non organic food now. like beancurd, mee sua , mee hoon and pasta i gave organic stuff only. rice will be Jap no rinse rice.

Augustmum...write in formally at least 3 months in advance. I usually will also follow up with an email to the HR too depend on your school zone. And I will ask them to inform me thru' email the approval of my leave first even before they send the offical letter.

Sophie, thanks for the website. I have been using it so frequent in Singapore, Japan and here in Vancouver and when I was looking at the nutrients value one day and found nothing much and no mention of calcium and vitamins at all.

Sophie's mom and all

Good morning....hope everyone is well...

Hey, can someone please advise me on this...Anyone know of a good BBQ sauce for chicken wings?I hope to marinate the chicken wings for my party on this sunday...thanks again and have a beautiful weekend....

hi Joy,
I don't have any, cos I normally use cajun seasoning + Olive oil (more angmoh style, but yummy).
I managed to dig out 3 recipes from the Yahoo DB... here they are:

Grilled Chicken Wings (II)
by Van
Van chicken wings
soya sauce
oyster sauce(optional)
pepper
sesame oil
honey

Marinate the wings, the longer the better,preferably overnight,then grill/fried, is also very yummy.

Grilled Chicken Wing
by LittleCat

Chicken Wings
Teriyaki sauce or Char Siew Sauce or Black Pepper sauce

Marinate the chicken wings with any one of the sauce you prefer for about 3 hours. If u want it more tasty u can do it overnite, put in in the fresh room in the fridge.Take out the Oven Toaster tray, cover with aluminium foil. Spread some oil/butter on the foil surface, little bit will do, just to make sure the wings won't stick on it. Arrange the chicken wing there, try to put the same size one together. eg. if u have the mid wing and the little drumstick, u cook the mid wing together and little drumstick together then u dun have to worry some over cooked and some not cooked. Turn the timer to max, i think is 15min.Then leave it grill the wings. Turn the wings every 5-8 min time to make sure both side are evenly cooked. cos some got 'strong fire' easily burnt. so adjust your own time.How to check if the wings are cooked. Use chopstick to poke on the wings, if the water came up is clear then is cooked, if got red colour blood coming out, u need to grill for another few minutes

Baked chicken wing
by Ambrosial

Light soy sauce
Dark soy sauce
Hinode mirin (make sure it's hinode and not hon-mirin) Honmirin has high alcohol content whilst hinode mirin has more corn syrup and it's better for marinades
Sake
Sesame oil(optional)

Marinate your chicken wings and bake them in the oven at 200C for about 30 mins.

Twinkle,
hee.. are u tempted to convert into perm staff with yr new company?
Is yr ds still with infant care?
am currently staying at home for 2 weeks, and will join a new company. think will be very sad if i when i need to start work end of this month. Don't know when i can next take leave to accompany baby.

Lyn,
is yr weaning successful and tears free?
still latching on at night now. But only 3 times, before baby sleep, abt 2am and 6+am now.
Think supply getting lesser as at times can feel the pain after baby latch.

Joy,
Think u can add a little ginger juice to the marinate. And think after u defroze the chicken, try not to freeze it again. Heard fm my mum that chicken if re-freeze will have the smell.

Hello gals..
Long time never come in here
happy.gif
Have been quite busy lately.

Sophie,
Last Wed, I went to Junction 8. There's a make shift exhibition stall that's selling raw wakame
happy.gif
3 packets for $10. But gotta wash a few times to get rid of the natural salt. When I was buying, I was thinking of you. hahaha... So here I come.. :p

zzzcookie,
Yes, i finally weaned off breastfeeding
happy.gif
A used to latch on to sleep and latch on during sleep. Then one day, I realised that he dun need any milk at nite, just for comfort. Sometimes he refused to latch on and cried. So I took the opportunity not to latch on but wake up to carry and pat. Initial first few days, he woke up like almost every hour. Very tiring. Now he sleeps through the nite without any feeds already. I updated this story in my blog too ;)

Back