BREASTFEEDING - Personal musings on how I managed to do it successfully

tingting:how old is your baby? i need to feed baby fr both sides to have sufficient milk so can't tandem pump.. do you think it could be the pump? mind me asking which brand fm your baby is on..? when i have to supplement i usually use nan..

tingting:how old is your baby? i need to feed baby fr both sides to have sufficient milk so can't tandem pump.. do you think it could be the pump? mind me asking which brand fm your baby is on..? when i have to supplement i usually use nan..

hi bf mummies...I'm in the midst of arranging a bp for Motherlove Goat's Rue which has proved to be good for me. Heavy workload and tight deadline has dipped my ss again, needed another booster of goat's rue.

Fenugreek doesnt have any effect one me and I'm not comfortable with the recommended dosage to be consumed, which is 3-4times more than what is stated on the bottle!!

hi bf mummies...I'm in the midst of arranging a bp for Motherlove Goat's Rue which has proved to be good for me. Heavy workload and tight deadline has dipped my ss again, needed another booster of goat's rue.

Fenugreek doesnt have any effect one me and I'm not comfortable with the recommended dosage to be consumed, which is 3-4times more than what is stated on the bottle!!

Personally, I also find it uncomfortable to take more than what is indicated on the bottle. So far, I followed the the instructions on the bottle and it had not much effect on me. Hence, I stopped taking it.

Personally, I also find it uncomfortable to take more than what is indicated on the bottle. So far, I followed the the instructions on the bottle and it had not much effect on me. Hence, I stopped taking it.

fushistar, my boy is coming to 1 YO in a week's time. I supplement with Nan 2, but will be moving on to Friso 3 soon. I have no problem with the avent manual pump while i was at home leh. the problem started right after i started work. I wonder if it's bcos body is already too used to baby's suckling motions.

hi annissa, thanks, but don't think mine is a supply prob cos baby is satisfied when he latches.

fushistar, my boy is coming to 1 YO in a week's time. I supplement with Nan 2, but will be moving on to Friso 3 soon. I have no problem with the avent manual pump while i was at home leh. the problem started right after i started work. I wonder if it's bcos body is already too used to baby's suckling motions.

hi annissa, thanks, but don't think mine is a supply prob cos baby is satisfied when he latches.

Snort/Tingting
Yes, I do feel a couple of letdowns during latch on but difficult to achieve letdown during pumping after latch on.

I'll try tandem pumping one of these days and c how...

Snort/Tingting
Yes, I do feel a couple of letdowns during latch on but difficult to achieve letdown during pumping after latch on.

Snort/Tingting

tingting.. my situation same as yours.. baby satisfied when latches but unable to pump milk out.. some mummies fr another thread suggested hand express.. i'm gonna try tonight and see if it can work.. you're not continuing w the nestle range of fm?

tingting.. my situation same as yours.. baby satisfied when latches but unable to pump milk out.. some mummies fr another thread suggested hand express.. i'm gonna try tonight and see if it can work.. you're not continuing w the nestle range of fm?

fushiastar, you can try hand express. i did that also. with pump i can only get 25-30ml, plus hand express i got total 40ml. haiz... i think the neslac range doesn't seem v good. a fren did a comparison of several brands and concluded that Friso is the most value-for-money one.

fushiastar, you can try hand express. i did that also. with pump i can only get 25-30ml, plus hand express i got total 40ml. haiz... i think the neslac range doesn't seem v good. a fren did a comparison of several brands and concluded that Friso is the most value-for-money one.

wow... many bf rangers here... so happy for everyone for all the effort in giving the best to our bb.

n snort, totally agree with ur first post. it was so discouraging wen i hear pple ask "enough milk or not? if not must give fm". if not they will say must give water. if not will say baby hungry. then will ask bb wanna complain issit?? my gosh... so hard to face these comments, very discouraging. n face stress also, cos if anything dun go rite, i wil be blamed for being so persistent in tbf. feel guilty also cos i was like excluding all others from hving the chance to bond with bb thru feeding. like only i can bond with him.

snort, my bb also drink only bout 5min on one side.. so we are not alone... *hugz* so comforted... thanks so much for ur encouragement... we new moms really need lots of encouragement for succeeding in bfing.

fushiastar,
there was once i felt low ms also, then almost cant pump out at all. then i use hand express after that, and i must say it was so much better. during the first few days after birth, my bb got jaundice, and he got so thirsty, and yet tired, plus me new in bfing, it was hard to bf him direct. so i also use hand express, much much better also. think sometimes the hand express more effective, cos the massaging effect encourages more milk flow. plus try using some hot towel to massage, wil help as well. then if hv time, switch sides after one side cannot get anymore. that was wat i did during hosp stay. i spent an hour jus to express the colostrum. keep switching side and using hot towel. all the best, hope things improve for u.

terrier, think pump is harder to let down, esp wen latch on already let down le. i felt the same too...

and i must say relaxing during bfing is very important also. i personally feel the big difference in getting bb to suck calmly by staying calm. n bb hates to have a nursing mom talking to other, which was my experience. he will fuss during the feed if i answer my hb something, even a simple answer "yes/no". jus like epi, i refuse to take it and was told to relax, and indeed i relax and "enjoyed" (not endure) the pain and dilated super fast after that. so to all moms, do not be stressed but enjoy and relax. think of nothing but love for bb. its not only milk we are pouring into bb, but love as well.

cheers to all

wow... many bf rangers here... so happy for everyone for all the effort in giving the best to our bb.

n snort, totally agree with ur first post. it was so discouraging wen i hear pple ask "enough milk or not? if not must give fm". if not they will say must give water. if not will say baby hungry. then will ask bb wanna complain issit?? my gosh... so hard to face these comments, very discouraging. n face stress also, cos if anything dun go rite, i wil be blamed for being so persistent in tbf. feel guilty also cos i was like excluding all others from hving the chance to bond with bb thru feeding. like only i can bond with him.

snort, my bb also drink only bout 5min on one side.. so we are not alone... *hugz* so comforted... thanks so much for ur encouragement... we new moms really need lots of encouragement for succeeding in bfing.

fushiastar,
there was once i felt low ms also, then almost cant pump out at all. then i use hand express after that, and i must say it was so much better. during the first few days after birth, my bb got jaundice, and he got so thirsty, and yet tired, plus me new in bfing, it was hard to bf him direct. so i also use hand express, much much better also. think sometimes the hand express more effective, cos the massaging effect encourages more milk flow. plus try using some hot towel to massage, wil help as well. then if hv time, switch sides after one side cannot get anymore. that was wat i did during hosp stay. i spent an hour jus to express the colostrum. keep switching side and using hot towel. all the best, hope things improve for u.

terrier, think pump is harder to let down, esp wen latch on already let down le. i felt the same too...

and i must say relaxing during bfing is very important also. i personally feel the big difference in getting bb to suck calmly by staying calm. n bb hates to have a nursing mom talking to other, which was my experience. he will fuss during the feed if i answer my hb something, even a simple answer "yes/no". jus like epi, i refuse to take it and was told to relax, and indeed i relax and "enjoyed" (not endure) the pain and dilated super fast after that. so to all moms, do not be stressed but enjoy and relax. think of nothing but love for bb. its not only milk we are pouring into bb, but love as well.

cheers to all

fushiastar,

cheers to all

tingting and cin, tried to hand express.. about the same as you 30-40ml.. better than 10-20 mls.. sigh.. thnk i better start to think about fm..

tingting and cin, tried to hand express.. about the same as you 30-40ml.. better than 10-20 mls.. sigh.. thnk i better start to think about fm..

hello all bfg mummies, my ds coming to 9mth and i am still tbf him. my road to bf got lots of hiccups and i fully agreed with snort that PERSEVERANCE is very impt.
i delivered thru c-sec so bf from the start a liitle tough but managed to pull thru, then baby got breastmilk jaundice, i was pressured to give him fm. which i only switch one feed to fm and did it for only two days. (i dun care despite lots of nagging)..
then one fine day, there is blood in baby's poo. then we realised he could be sensitive to some of the food i take, and i found out i couldnt take dairy prdt like eggs and milk etc. so me haven been taking all these stuffs for quite some time.
ms for me has always been enuf and steady till one day i couldnt even pump out 1/3 of my usual supply and i do not keep fbm. No choice me got to increase pumping session in the day and night even thou it might be just 20 or 30ml.

i really salute those mummies like duchess and kola who has been bfg for past 2 years mark. breastfeeding is tough but truely rewarding. it is even tougher when you are a 9-6 working and 6-9 nursing mum.
happy.gif

hello all bfg mummies, my ds coming to 9mth and i am still tbf him. my road to bf got lots of hiccups and i fully agreed with snort that PERSEVERANCE is very impt.
i delivered thru c-sec so bf from the start a liitle tough but managed to pull thru, then baby got breastmilk jaundice, i was pressured to give him fm. which i only switch one feed to fm and did it for only two days. (i dun care despite lots of nagging)..
then one fine day, there is blood in baby's poo. then we realised he could be sensitive to some of the food i take, and i found out i couldnt take dairy prdt like eggs and milk etc. so me haven been taking all these stuffs for quite some time.
ms for me has always been enuf and steady till one day i couldnt even pump out 1/3 of my usual supply and i do not keep fbm. No choice me got to increase pumping session in the day and night even thou it might be just 20 or 30ml.

i really salute those mummies like duchess and kola who has been bfg for past 2 years mark. breastfeeding is tough but truely rewarding. it is even tougher when you are a 9-6 working and 6-9 nursing mum.
happy.gif

happy.gif

hi cin, thanks for sharing and it's nice to know my bb not the only superfast drinker!! HUGS To you too!!! thanks for your sharing...
happy.gif

littlefire, so nice to hear your heartening story. it is tough isn't it, facing all sorts of comments at a point when you least need that! that's why it's good to encourage all friends who are about to become mothers on the pitfalls to expect, hence my thread...
happy.gif

littlefire, we both have similar exp with bf-ing incl the blood in the stool. happened with my boy around 6 mos for 3x... i think it was the explosive poo, LOL!!! may have been a fissure in the anus. but i think he also reacts to the spices in my food, in particular becos his anus will have a reddish ring around it... poor thing.

now that your ds is almost 9 mos, of cos milk ss not like previously. now ms is no longer hormone driven but bb driven meaning it's bb's stimulation that keeps our ss going. in that respect, there will be less to pump becos our breasts now produce what is needed. you still pump? i stopped....
happy.gif

hi cin, thanks for sharing and it's nice to know my bb not the only superfast drinker!! HUGS To you too!!! thanks for your sharing...
happy.gif

littlefire, so nice to hear your heartening story. it is tough isn't it, facing all sorts of comments at a point when you least need that! that's why it's good to encourage all friends who are about to become mothers on the pitfalls to expect, hence my thread...
happy.gif

littlefire, we both have similar exp with bf-ing incl the blood in the stool. happened with my boy around 6 mos for 3x... i think it was the explosive poo, LOL!!! may have been a fissure in the anus. but i think he also reacts to the spices in my food, in particular becos his anus will have a reddish ring around it... poor thing.

now that your ds is almost 9 mos, of cos milk ss not like previously. now ms is no longer hormone driven but bb driven meaning it's bb's stimulation that keeps our ss going. in that respect, there will be less to pump becos our breasts now produce what is needed. you still pump? i stopped....
happy.gif

happy.gif

happy.gif

happy.gif

hi snort, i really think you started a good post, i believe for new mum, the more they read, they more they will be well-informed and can handle bfg issues better.
my boy had this blood streak poo for almost near two months. sigh.. at that point i really had second tot abt bfg but couldnt bear to stop as i cannot believe any fm could be better than bm. so decided to continue.

you mean you into total latch on now? ya me still pumping my way. i think you are rite. its really base on demand. no matter hard i tried it will stop at the same amount. strange....
happy.gif

hi snort, i really think you started a good post, i believe for new mum, the more they read, they more they will be well-informed and can handle bfg issues better.
my boy had this blood streak poo for almost near two months. sigh.. at that point i really had second tot abt bfg but couldnt bear to stop as i cannot believe any fm could be better than bm. so decided to continue.

you mean you into total latch on now? ya me still pumping my way. i think you are rite. its really base on demand. no matter hard i tried it will stop at the same amount. strange....
happy.gif

happy.gif

i think pumping is so hard. my boy is 3 mths old, and i dun really pump out, jus latch him on wenever he wans. cos pump waste so much energy and time. cant even let down after pumping 20mins sometimes. the other day went to parentcraft, they insisted that i should pump, esp wen they heard tt i only feed him on one side.. then made me so worry. i also dunno shld listen to them to pump or should continue the way i have been doing. then i think last time pple dn pump also mah, the still doing ok. my hb also say now use pumping make ms too much then bcome dependant on pump so will get plugged duct if never pump. any advice? anyone dun pump and go on total latch on?

anyone knows how to differentiate between plugged ducts and ecgorgement?? cos since i feed him one side most of the time, then the side that i dint feed him becomes more engorged. but the lady said that was a lump already... then i got worried, wondered if its really plugged ducts?? she say if dun pump later need to do treatment... dunno leh..

also my boy got this bad habit to wanna lie down to feed, dun like me to use other positions, then he will fall asleep, then wen he wakes up he wanna feed again though its not really due his feeding time yet, like a walking pacifier... dunno if this will be bad for him? its practically like feeding through the night, the 2 of us lying facing each other, and he gets his human pacifier as and wen kinda thing..

any advice??

i think pumping is so hard. my boy is 3 mths old, and i dun really pump out, jus latch him on wenever he wans. cos pump waste so much energy and time. cant even let down after pumping 20mins sometimes. the other day went to parentcraft, they insisted that i should pump, esp wen they heard tt i only feed him on one side.. then made me so worry. i also dunno shld listen to them to pump or should continue the way i have been doing. then i think last time pple dn pump also mah, the still doing ok. my hb also say now use pumping make ms too much then bcome dependant on pump so will get plugged duct if never pump. any advice? anyone dun pump and go on total latch on?

anyone knows how to differentiate between plugged ducts and ecgorgement?? cos since i feed him one side most of the time, then the side that i dint feed him becomes more engorged. but the lady said that was a lump already... then i got worried, wondered if its really plugged ducts?? she say if dun pump later need to do treatment... dunno leh..

also my boy got this bad habit to wanna lie down to feed, dun like me to use other positions, then he will fall asleep, then wen he wakes up he wanna feed again though its not really due his feeding time yet, like a walking pacifier... dunno if this will be bad for him? its practically like feeding through the night, the 2 of us lying facing each other, and he gets his human pacifier as and wen kinda thing..

any advice??

any advice??

hi cin, why are u not feeding him on both sides? even if its only 1 side per feed, you should alternate sides for each feed. Else there's a possibility that you may end up with lopsided breasts. Engorgement refers to a lot of pent up supply of milk in the breasts, while blocked ducts refer to ducts that are unable to eject milk even when expressed/latched. sometimes frequent latching/expressing may just help to unclog the duct, but sometimes it doesn't work.

hi cin, why are u not feeding him on both sides? even if its only 1 side per feed, you should alternate sides for each feed. Else there's a possibility that you may end up with lopsided breasts. Engorgement refers to a lot of pent up supply of milk in the breasts, while blocked ducts refer to ducts that are unable to eject milk even when expressed/latched. sometimes frequent latching/expressing may just help to unclog the duct, but sometimes it doesn't work.

littlefire, yes, i only nurse on demand now. no pumping. too tiresome and besides i'm a SAHM. also, he's come to a point where he doesn't want the bottle... Oops. so, pump also no use, wasted!

cin, let me clarify... u are only feeding your bb on ONE side all the time? if you are, then you should alternate. pumping is NEVER as efficient in clearing blockage as a bb's suckling. NEVER.

is there something to your story i missed? why are they asking you to pump? i only feed my boy one side per feed but i alternate and i haven't had a problem with engorgement since i stopped pumping at about 4 months. is your bb peeing and pooping enough times in a day?

as for lying down to drink... yes, there becomes a suck to sleep association. whether you find that a problem is for you to decide. some mothers don't mind but if it becomes too often in the nite, then you might find that it interrupts your own sleep. in that case, you might want to do an unlatching as he slows down his sucking. if he tries to grab on, let him. then as he slows down again, unlatch. keep doing this, eventually he'll learn. also, if you manage to unlatch him, turn away from him to sleep.

at 3 months, you can still "train" your bb, so try to use other methods esp during the day n bedtime.

littlefire, yes, i only nurse on demand now. no pumping. too tiresome and besides i'm a SAHM. also, he's come to a point where he doesn't want the bottle... Oops. so, pump also no use, wasted!

cin, let me clarify... u are only feeding your bb on ONE side all the time? if you are, then you should alternate. pumping is NEVER as efficient in clearing blockage as a bb's suckling. NEVER.

is there something to your story i missed? why are they asking you to pump? i only feed my boy one side per feed but i alternate and i haven't had a problem with engorgement since i stopped pumping at about 4 months. is your bb peeing and pooping enough times in a day?

as for lying down to drink... yes, there becomes a suck to sleep association. whether you find that a problem is for you to decide. some mothers don't mind but if it becomes too often in the nite, then you might find that it interrupts your own sleep. in that case, you might want to do an unlatching as he slows down his sucking. if he tries to grab on, let him. then as he slows down again, unlatch. keep doing this, eventually he'll learn. also, if you manage to unlatch him, turn away from him to sleep.

at 3 months, you can still "train" your bb, so try to use other methods esp during the day n bedtime.

tingting,
i dun feed him both sides cos he doesnt want anymore after finishing the first. and i alternate every feed, else get very lopsided. heard theres 25 nipple holes, but dun seem to see 25 strems of milk... or is that suposed to be the case? wen engorged, after bb feed, do feel its much much lighter.. so i presume its ok?

snort,
i alternate them every time, unless my boy latches on it for few hours in the nite wen sleeping. as for the pumping, the parentcraft person insisted i pump cos she heard my boy only wanna feed on one side. so she said i must pump the other side out to prevent the milk from sitting too long in the other side, and resulting in plugged ducts.

i think mabe something wrong with my feeding hours. sometimes wen he is very tired, he doesnt finish his feed at one go. he drinks a bit, fall asleep a while, then drink again, and the cycle goes on. then after that he can dun drink for like 4/5 hours. so the other side becomes engorged at times. then wen parencraft said tt, i got kinda worried will really get plugged ducts, and ended up my milk dry up.

actually i dun mind feeding him in the lying down, but wen it bcomes a habit, i cant feed him in that way wen we are out lor.. then i try to move away before, but he wakes up after that, then will his sleep bcomes very disturbed?? i try ur method see how.

then the lying down recently dun work very well le. dunno is it bcos he still quite full or wat, but he doesnt wanna feed as often, and cries very badly wen i try feed him, even walk around the house while latching him.. and bouncing arn as well.. isit a nursing strike? or isit bcos of the effect of letting him sleep in a sarong? or isit really so accurate, the doc said his weight gain was gd, so for such bbs, they will start to drink less from now on.

to all,
anyway, i found a hotline, quite helpful in answering our enquiries on breastfeeding. its called "joyful parenting", with certified lactation consultants to help. i called them and the lady was very helpful. if anyone wants to seek urgent help or whatsoever, feel free to call 64880286. email: [email protected]

tingting,
i dun feed him both sides cos he doesnt want anymore after finishing the first. and i alternate every feed, else get very lopsided. heard theres 25 nipple holes, but dun seem to see 25 strems of milk... or is that suposed to be the case? wen engorged, after bb feed, do feel its much much lighter.. so i presume its ok?

snort,
i alternate them every time, unless my boy latches on it for few hours in the nite wen sleeping. as for the pumping, the parentcraft person insisted i pump cos she heard my boy only wanna feed on one side. so she said i must pump the other side out to prevent the milk from sitting too long in the other side, and resulting in plugged ducts.

i think mabe something wrong with my feeding hours. sometimes wen he is very tired, he doesnt finish his feed at one go. he drinks a bit, fall asleep a while, then drink again, and the cycle goes on. then after that he can dun drink for like 4/5 hours. so the other side becomes engorged at times. then wen parencraft said tt, i got kinda worried will really get plugged ducts, and ended up my milk dry up.

actually i dun mind feeding him in the lying down, but wen it bcomes a habit, i cant feed him in that way wen we are out lor.. then i try to move away before, but he wakes up after that, then will his sleep bcomes very disturbed?? i try ur method see how.

then the lying down recently dun work very well le. dunno is it bcos he still quite full or wat, but he doesnt wanna feed as often, and cries very badly wen i try feed him, even walk around the house while latching him.. and bouncing arn as well.. isit a nursing strike? or isit bcos of the effect of letting him sleep in a sarong? or isit really so accurate, the doc said his weight gain was gd, so for such bbs, they will start to drink less from now on.

to all,
anyway, i found a hotline, quite helpful in answering our enquiries on breastfeeding. its called "joyful parenting", with certified lactation consultants to help. i called them and the lady was very helpful. if anyone wants to seek urgent help or whatsoever, feel free to call 64880286. email: [email protected]

Back