Breastfeeding and supplementing with formula

ayeo7081

Hi all mummies!

my baby is 7 weeks old and I have been mixing between latching, EBM and formula ever since he was born. I just went to consult a lactation consultant and realized that my baby has been doing having shallow latching the whole time and the lactation consultant mentioned that as my baby is close to 2 months, it may be difficult to change his latching style.

I have been training him to do deep latching but it is a challenge and I always have to top up with either EBM or formula after latching. This is very tiring for me as I spent almost 30 minutes latching then had to top up at the end. Makes me think whether should I just do exclusive pumping and feed from bottle.

Should I perservere in latching my baby until my baby latches correctly so that there is no need to top up? Or should I just do exclusive pumping?

This is very frustrating for me as I really wish to exclusively breastfeed and feel like a useless mother that I cannot supply the demand and need to supplement with formula.

Any advise or sharing of experience is appreciated.

Hi mummy, if you have the supply, you may want to pump and bottle feed instead?

I don really let my kids latch as my maternity leave only 2mths, I worried they can’t used to drink from bottle by then, so I started to pump out and bottle feed after latching for 2-3weeks..

I fully breastfeed my kids for 1yr ++ and I choose to stop after my kids started solid food..

You may let ur baby latch at day time, pump out and bottle feed at night sth like that..

Jia you ;)

Hi mummy, if you have the supply, you may want to pump and bottle feed instead?

I don really let my kids latch as my maternity leave only 2mths, I worried they can’t used to drink from bottle by then, so I started to pump out and bottle feed after latching for 2-3weeks..

I fully breastfeed my kids for 1yr ++ and I choose to stop after my kids started solid food..

You may let ur baby latch at day time, pump out and bottle feed at night sth like that..

Jia you ;)

Hi Mummy, thanks for sharing and giving advise =)

Currently my supply is low and unable to meet my baby’s feeding demand at the moment. That’s why I try to let my baby latch as much as possible to stimulate the milk production.

Did you fully breastfeed by using bottle without formula?

Yeap that’s what I’m doing at the moment. Let baby latch in the day time then top up. During the night, I’ll pump and bottle feed because latching can be quite tiring especially during the night time.

Hi mummy, latching can help stimulate your body to produce more milk. But your diets are also really important becos what you eat and drink will turn into milk. You have to try your best to drink much more water and fluids as you can, and it will help a lot for boosting milk. You can try soups such as fish soup, papaya pork rib soup, dang gui mutton soup, chicken essence with vaccaria seed (wang bu liu xing) and pork knuckle with peanuts soup, they work well for me! Jia you mummy!

Agreed with homemacathy, at first my milk were not enough as well, try to drink n eat more, pump more as well..

I pump every 2hours even at midnight, no matter got milk or not as demand = supply, I keep this routine until I got milk.. and got extra to share with frien cox her boy sensitive to cow milk, it’s not easy but to give baby the best, you can do it too!!!!

Only first mth I top up with formula for first baby..

Continue to take fish oil and the prenantal vimamins you have...

Back