Bleeding at Week 5

melodychic

Hi everyone,
I am new to the forum. I just went through my 3rd IVF cycle and my results came back positive. I am currently at Week 5 Day 3 of pregnancy but I experienced vaginal bleeding yesterday. Went to TMC and was given Duphaston injection. Does anyone has similar experience? I hv been trying to conceive for 6 years and this is the 1st time I am seeing some light but now, my hope has trashed. Thank you for reading.

Hi and congrats!

I experienced some slight bleeding (about half a pad) just before my period was due. It seems like implantation bleeding for me. After that on and off there was slight spotting so my gynae put me on duphaston pills.

Are you still bleeding after the injection?

Hi CookieMonMon,
Thank you for replying. After the injection, the bleeding has reduced to spotting...i don't know when the spotting or bleeding will stop. My 1st ultrasound scan is on 26 December.

What about u? When are you going for the test?

Just keep monitoring and don’t hesitate to call your doc if it starts bleeding again. I think week 6 is a good time to check ultrasound for confirmation. Stay strong and have lots of rest! Don’t give up and remember it’s never your fault.

I’m nearing the end of 1st trim. My doc put me on the pills up to week 11 to stabilise the pregnancy. Just hope for the best :)

Hi! I am also doing IVF...i am bleeding and thought was menses...requested for early blood test...hcg came back 33.4...subsequently increased to 93...monday going for blood test again..i am taking all the support medicine...took proluton jab 250mg once a week...duphaston 1 tab 3 times a day...and progynova 3 tabs 2 times per day...and crinone gel once per day...

Last edited:
Just keep monitoring and don’t hesitate to call your doc if it starts bleeding again. I think week 6 is a good time to check ultrasound for confirmation. Stay strong and have lots of rest! Don’t give up and remember it’s never your fault.

I’m nearing the end of 1st trim. My doc put me on the pills up to week 11 to stabilise the pregnancy. Just hope for the best :)

The gynae did an ultrasound scan for me yesterday but all he could see is only a sac but couldn't detect fetal pole or heartbeat because it is too early at Week 5 Day 3. My next scan is on 26 December. I am on Duphaston twice a day now till 26 December.

Hi! I am also doing IVF...i am bleeding and thought was menses...requested for early blood test...hcg came back 33.4...subsequently increased to 93...monday going for blood test again..i am taking all the support medicine...took proluton jab 250mg once a week...duphaston 1 tab 3 times a day...and progynova 3 tabs 2 times per day...and crinone gel once per day...

Jiayou! We shall all hope for the best...let me know the results if you don't mind...all the best to you

Are you on full support meds? Maybe you can request for weekly proluton injection also

Yes, I am on full support meds - Progynova, prednisolone, Utrogestan and Duphaston daily. I am now monitoring the bleeding...hope it stops soon. My next ultrasound scan is on 26 December and I hope they can detect a yolk sac/fetal pole and heartbeat by then. I am praying hard that it will turn out well...the waiting is struggling...

Yes, I am on full support meds - Progynova, prednisolone, Utrogestan and Duphaston daily. I am now monitoring the bleeding...hope it stops soon. My next ultrasound scan is on 26 December and I hope they can detect a yolk sac/fetal pole and heartbeat by then. I am praying hard that it will turn out well...the waiting is struggling...

I feel you. I’m almost the same timeline as you and will be week 6 in two more days. I’m having dark brown discharge which fills up 1/4 of my pantyliner. Hopefully we both can get to detect the little heartbeats soon.

I feel you. I’m almost the same timeline as you and will be week 6 in two more days. I’m having dark brown discharge which fills up 1/4 of my pantyliner. Hopefully we both can get to detect the little heartbeats soon.

Yes, let's hope & pray for the best. When is your ultrasound scan? Is your scan in 2 more days? Did u contact your gynae or doc for the dark brown discharge?

Yes, let's hope & pray for the best. When is your ultrasound scan? Is your scan in 2 more days? Did u contact your gynae or doc for the dark brown discharge?

My spotting just happened today :( and I think my only way is to email him. But I’m seeing my Gynae tomorrow afternoon so I guess I will know.

This is my 3rd fet praying I can last through birth this time..

My spotting just happened today :( and I think my only way is to email him. But I’m seeing my Gynae tomorrow afternoon so I guess I will know.

This is my 3rd fet praying I can last through birth this time..

I will keep you in my prayers...There is nothing much we can do right now...all the best to you tomorrow! Hope all is well for u tomorrow...keep me updated.

The gynae did an ultrasound scan for me yesterday but all he could see is only a sac but couldn't detect fetal pole or heartbeat because it is too early at Week 5 Day 3. My next scan is on 26 December. I am on Duphaston twice a day now till 26 December.

5 weeks is still too early to see unless your doc does a transvaginal scan. Even at 6weeks, I remember barely seeing edge of the yolk sac on the normal abdominal scan. Anyway, keep me posted after your next appointment!

I will keep you in my prayers...There is nothing much we can do right now...all the best to you tomorrow! Hope all is well for u tomorrow...keep me updated.

I managed to see the sac today (which brought some relief) and probably a flicker. Other than that, I can’t really see anything maybe cos only 5w5d. Seems too early to see anything but doctor said spotting is common.. he’s given me some meds to stop the spotting as I was worried.. just feel like not out of the woods yet. But let’s keep the prayers and hope going !

I managed to see the sac today (which brought some relief) and probably a flicker. Other than that, I can’t really see anything maybe cos only 5w5d. Seems too early to see anything but doctor said spotting is common.. he’s given me some meds to stop the spotting as I was worried.. just feel like not out of the woods yet. But let’s keep the prayers and hope going !

Congrats!! So happy for you that you can see the sac and flicker. I understand when u said it brought some relief...i am just praying and hoping that my scan (Week 6) this Thursday will turn out well too...

Congrats!! So happy for you that you can see the sac and flicker. I understand when u said it brought some relief...i am just praying and hoping that my scan (Week 6) this Thursday will turn out well too...

will be praying for you too ! All will be gd .. do update us here

Hi melodychic...hows ur scan? Everything ok ma? Don't know why cannot pm you...all my message also gone..

Hi yy116, I went for transvaginal scan today...i saw the heart beat, couldn't hold my tears. Doc said bleeding is quite normal especially for those who underwent IVF...I was given intralipid today and more Duphaston tablets. My next scan is on 21 January. You are going for your beta HCG test tomorrow right? All the best!

Hi yy116, I went for transvaginal scan today...i saw the heart beat, couldn't hold my tears. Doc said bleeding is quite normal especially for those who underwent IVF...I was given intralipid today and more Duphaston tablets. My next scan is on 21 January. You are going for your beta HCG test tomorrow right? All the best!
Congrats! Great news to end the year! Rest well and take things easy...

Yup yup going tomorrow...thanks! But i don't know what to expect also...hoping for the best but somehow also prepared for the worst coz of the heavy bleeding previously....if everything is ok, my scan should be next week..

That’s really great news! Good to see your updates here

Hi Rainbowskies,
Thank you...but just like what you have said, I feel I am not out of the woods yet. Everytime i go to the bathroom now, I am really worried...when is your next scan?

Same here! Afraid when I feel anything leaking. I actually still spot on and off but it’s quite light so I’m not too bothered.

My next scan is in another 2 weeks and I’m still a bunch of nerves

Hi ladies! Am currently week 5 pregnant and started having brownish discharge as well. Was really worried.. hopefully the little one will be a sticky one...

Hi ladies! Am currently week 5 pregnant and started having brownish discharge as well. Was really worried.. hopefully the little one will be a sticky one...
Hi, did you contact your clinic or gynae? It’s best to contact your gynae or clinic and inform them about your situation. The doc may recommend Proluton injection or provide more medicinal support..

I’m with KKH IVF. Went to 24hrs O&G yesterday and was given Progesterone injection + increase of Duphaston to 3 times a day (from 2 times a day). The Doc said it’s all up to God and there’s nothing can be done. So yeah.. am still having discharge on and off as of today. :(

I’m with KKH IVF. Went to 24hrs O&G yesterday and was given Progesterone injection + increase of Duphaston to 3 times a day (from 2 times a day). The Doc said it’s all up to God and there’s nothing can be done. So yeah.. am still having discharge on and off as of today. :(
After the injection, it will take 1-2 days for the spotting to clear. That was what happened to me at Week 5. When is your 1st scan?

After the injection, it will take 1-2 days for the spotting to clear. That was what happened to me at Week 5. When is your 1st scan?
I see... the doc didn’t mentioned that to me! She only told me that MC for IVF pregnancy is very high when I asked when will the discharge stop. :mad: It only made me damn worried and helpless.. I really hope the discharge will stop and not seeing it anymore.. it’s nerve wracking whenever I make trips to toilet. Were you on bed rest since you saw the discharge? What about work? Did you take leave to rest instead?

I had a transvaginal scan when I went to the 24hrs O&G and saw a little water bag. The next scan will take place on 6 Jan.

mhmm seems like a few of us had week 5 spotting.. I showed my panty liner to my doc and he said it looked a lot.. it filled 1/4 of it..but he later on told me that some people bled red blood and the pregnancy still went on and progressed till birth

I see... the doc didn’t mentioned that to me! She only told me that MC for IVF pregnancy is very high when I asked when will the discharge stop. :mad: It only made me damn worried and helpless.. I really hope the discharge will stop and not seeing it anymore.. it’s nerve wracking whenever I make trips to toilet. Were you on bed rest since you saw the discharge? What about work? Did you take leave to rest instead?

I had a transvaginal scan when I went to the 24hrs O&G and saw a little water bag. The next scan will take place on 6 Jan.

After I went to 24 hours O&G last Saturday because I had fresh bleeding, my gynae gave me hospitalization leave and I have been on bed rest for 1 week. I went for my 1st scan on Week 6 on 26 December and I asked my doc about the bleeding/spotting. She said it’s quite common for women who underwent IVF to experience bleeding or spotting. I am currently clearing my annual leave and I will be at home resting till I start work on 2 January.

mhmm seems like a few of us had week 5 spotting.. I showed my panty liner to my doc and he said it looked a lot.. it filled 1/4 of it..but he later on told me that some people bled red blood and the pregnancy still went on and progressed till birth
Seems like it.. has your spotting/bleeding stopped? hopefully it’s nothing serious!

After I went to 24 hours O&G last Saturday because I had fresh bleeding, my gynae gave me hospitalization leave and I have been on bed rest for 1 week. I went for my 1st scan on Week 6 on 26 December and I asked my doc about the bleeding/spotting. She said it’s quite common for women who underwent IVF to experience bleeding or spotting. I am currently clearing my annual leave and I will be at home resting till I start work on 2 January.
I see...but do you still have spotting? Or has it been totally cleared? Today’s my 3rd day of spotting. sigh.

Seems like it.. has your spotting/bleeding stopped? hopefully it’s nothing serious!

I see...but do you still have spotting? Or has it been totally cleared? Today’s my 3rd day of spotting. sigh.

i think probably yours should stop tomorrow .. is it light spotting?

I almost thought it came back again today because I felt leaking .. so much so that I have to check once inside the car

Actually I just pray hope week 8 growth will be on par and everything is ok. Every two weeks seem to be a milestone now.

i think probably yours should stop tomorrow .. is it light spotting?

I almost thought it came back again today because I felt leaking .. so much so that I have to check once inside the car

Actually I just pray hope week 8 growth will be on par and everything is ok. Every two weeks seem to be a milestone now.
I desperately hope that so!!! It’s those light brownish mucus where it appear when wipe and stain the pantyliner. I’m so afraid to see increase in quantity and the change in colour each time I go toilet.

Week 8!! I’m sure it’s going to be a smooth one for you! Where did you do your IVF? And got yourself a Gynae already?

I totally feel you ladies! Every 2 weeks seem to be a milestone...after my 1st scan on Week 6, my gynae scheduled my next scan to be 4 weeks later, which is on 21 January but it’s too long for me. I told my gynae that I want to scan every 2 weeks.

I desperately hope that so!!! It’s those light brownish mucus where it appear when wipe and stain the pantyliner. I’m so afraid to see increase in quantity and the change in colour each time I go toilet.

Week 8!! I’m sure it’s going to be a smooth one for you! Where did you do your IVF? And got yourself a Gynae already?

I did mine at Nuh.. but what I heard is that other Gynae may not take us in so early? Most clinic their packages start from week 16 I think!

@melodychic did you do yours at kkh also? Or maybe you can go elsewhere to try to get a scan at week 8

actually really hope we all here can zoom past to get to second trimester soon!

I did mine at Nuh.. but what I heard is that other Gynae may not take us in so early? Most clinic their packages start from week 16 I think!

@melodychic did you do yours at kkh also? Or maybe you can go elsewhere to try to get a scan at week 8

actually really hope we all here can zoom past to get to second trimester soon!
I did mine at Thomson Fertility Centre under Dr Loh. I called the clinic up today and I told them I want to schedule an appointment for the scan at Week 8, they said ok. I think you are right, I also heard before that other gynae don’t usually take in IVF mummies so early...usually after 1st trimester.

I did mine at Thomson Fertility Centre under Dr Loh. I called the clinic up today and I told them I want to schedule an appointment for the scan at Week 8, they said ok. I think you are right, I also heard before that other gynae don’t usually take in IVF mummies so early...usually after 1st trimester.

I see that’s better I think at least it won’t keep you waiting for so long!

yes plus heard not many Gynae may wanna take in Ivf mummies also..

Oh dear... then finding a gynae of our choice is not going to be an easy task. Hope we can all pass our trimesters smoothly!!!

Hello all... I am in the same situation as well. Had a successful FET under KKH and have been bleeding since week 6. Went to KKH A&E as I had dark brown discharge all week. Doc increased my duphaston dosage to 3 times a day from 2. Managed to see a heartbeat and was kind of relieved. However, 3 days later I suddenly bled red blood heavily and filled 5 liners within 4 hours. Scared out of my mind, I went to KKH A&E again. Scan showed that everything was still intact and heartbeat was normal but the doctor told me that this will be classified as threatened miscarriage. I asked if more meds was necessary but he seems reluctant to provide since I was already medicated with duphaston, progynova and aspirin.

Its coming to week 9 now and ever since the heavy bleed, it has sort of tapered off into a light brown discharge daily. Honestly, I'm so stressed up over this as I had 3 prior failures and it all started with bleeding. Just kind of hanging in there and counting the days to my next appointment on Thursday. It's been so difficult since nobody around me except my husband and mum know about my situation.

My current gynae at KKH scheduled my next appointment 2 weeks apart but I'm not sure if it's because I have recurrent losses. I had to switch because I was previously with Dr. Tan HH. For popular gynaes it will definitely be tough to get an appointment every 2 weeks. I also considered going to private gynae clinics for more frequent scans if the need arises.

Good luck and hang in there as well everyone!

Hello all... I am in the same situation as well. Had a successful FET under KKH and have been bleeding since week 6. Went to KKH A&E as I had dark brown discharge all week. Doc increased my duphaston dosage to 3 times a day from 2. Managed to see a heartbeat and was kind of relieved. However, 3 days later I suddenly bled red blood heavily and filled 5 liners within 4 hours. Scared out of my mind, I went to KKH A&E again. Scan showed that everything was still intact and heartbeat was normal but the doctor told me that this will be classified as threatened miscarriage. I asked if more meds was necessary but he seems reluctant to provide since I was already medicated with duphaston, progynova and aspirin.

Its coming to week 9 now and ever since the heavy bleed, it has sort of tapered off into a light brown discharge daily. Honestly, I'm so stressed up over this as I had 3 prior failures and it all started with bleeding. Just kind of hanging in there and counting the days to my next appointment on Thursday. It's been so difficult since nobody around me except my husband and mum know about my situation.

My current gynae at KKH scheduled my next appointment 2 weeks apart but I'm not sure if it's because I have recurrent losses. I had to switch because I was previously with Dr. Tan HH. For popular gynaes it will definitely be tough to get an appointment every 2 weeks. I also considered going to private gynae clinics for more frequent scans if the need arises.

Good luck and hang in there as well everyone!
Thanks for sharing! Were you given Proluton injection at KKH A&E? Since my bleeding episode on Week 5, my gynae has told me to stop my aspirin medication, but I am still taking the rest of the hormonal support medication. I truly feel you..the 2 weeks wait to the scan is definitely a mind-torturing wait. Hang in there...u r at Week 9, which is nearing the end of 1st trimester. Let’s Jia you together!!

Hmmm I’m also on aspirin and prednisolone.

are you girls going for weekly jabs?

I kinda agree that it’s abit tough when we can’t really share what we are going through and with all the festivities going on also!

I asked the A&E doctor if the jab was necessary but he didn't think it was. I will ask my regular gynae on Thursday for his advice. The first thing I did was to ask the A&E doc whether the bleeding was due to aspirin but he said no and that it was okay to continue with it. I'm so confused but decided to just trust the doc and continue with it as long as the bleeding doesn't worsen.

Agreed that it's tough during this period! Supposed to be on bedrest but there are just so many pre planned gift exchanges, Christmas dinners and I feel bad for declining.

Stay strong ladies, it's a new year soon!

I don’t know if it’s because off the hormonal medications that I am taking or the hormonal changes that are taking place but I am feeling really down lately...my emotions are up and down, feel upset out of the blue..

Hi Ladies, I am also having fresh blood spotting since last Wednesday and went to KKH O&G last Friday to check. The A&E doctor said as long as the spotting does not fill more than half a pad, I should not be worried. She increased my Duphaston to 3 times a day as well (from 2 times a day) and said to monitor. I am still spotting today and was thinking to visit a gynae tomorrow to check. I also conceived via IVF under Doc Sadhana and my next scan with her is next Monday. Should I just wait and let the spotting continue? I heard it is really common for IVF patients but.. this is my first time success so I am quite anxious.

Hi Ladies, I am also having fresh blood spotting since last Wednesday and went to KKH O&G last Friday to check. The A&E doctor said as long as the spotting does not fill more than half a pad, I should not be worried. She increased my Duphaston to 3 times a day as well (from 2 times a day) and said to monitor. I am still spotting today and was thinking to visit a gynae tomorrow to check. I also conceived via IVF under Doc Sadhana and my next scan with her is next Monday. Should I just wait and let the spotting continue? I heard it is really common for IVF patients but.. this is my first time success so I am quite anxious.
I’m with Dr Sadhana and next appointment is next Mon as well. Me too having the same issue as you and have spotting till today too. The spotting doesn’t seems to go away and has actually increased. I was thinking too if I should visit the a&e again or wait till Mon.
When did you had your egg transfer?

I’m with Dr Sadhana and next appointment is next Mon as well. Me too having the same issue as you and have spotting till today too. The spotting doesn’t seems to go away and has actually increased. I was thinking too if I should visit the a&e again or wait till Mon.
When did you had your egg transfer?
23 Nov.. Yourself?

I don’t know if it’s because off the hormonal medications that I am taking or the hormonal changes that are taking place but I am feeling really down lately...my emotions are up and down, feel upset out of the blue..

Are you okay? If need to chat we are always here ya. Could be the hormones at work

Back