Baby Bath/ shampoo ?

littlefly

Which brand of baby bath/ shampoo is better? can we get the off-the-shelves J&J products from supermarkets for newborns?

hi Little Fly,

i used Lactacyd for my girl for abt a yr as recommended during antenatal class. Had tried Mustela and QV as well. All pretty gd, not drying. find J&J and Kodomo products very soapy. In fact, my girl's hair drops when i used the J&J top to toe wash and Pureen shampoo.

hihi,
Lactacyd and QV can be bought from Guardian, Unity, Watsons. if u r keen on lactacyd, pls look out for the bundle promo. more worth it. i remembered Unity Pharmacy often had 2 big and 1 small bottle at almost half price. do note that its the green stripes packaging, not pink.

Mustela can be bought from Kiddy Palace and major dept store ie, Robinsons, Taka. I've just started QV lotion. find it better than Mustela. absorbs better. hope the above info helps
happy.gif

attended antenatal class, and the instructor menioned J & J is fine for bb's bath. No need to get separate shampoo too. Just be careful to add just one drop into a whole tub of water during bath. water should not have bubbles at all. Although not stated as no rinse, the hospitals have been using J&J as no rinse and they found it ok.

oh yar, talking about baby bath tub - any recommendations ? I dont have a bath tub at home, only standing towers...

Hi Little Fly,

I use J & J tip to toe, one shampoo for both hair and body. It was given as part of the goodies bag from hospital. U can give it a try.

As for bath tub. I bought the biggest one available. So can use up to 5 yrs old.

Little Fly,

I saw 2 brands - J&J and Avent during the baby care lesson, which I attended at TMC. For Avent, saw the baby body & hair wash which is tear free & the instructor recommended the baby bottom balm which is good for preventing nappy rash. I just bought these 2 Avent pdts at Isetan cos got 20% discount now.

Thanks Ladies for sharing!

As for the bathtub, i have a new discovery! I saw a bathtub which could be mounted on a stand -less bending over for mummies esp mummies who experienced lower back pains like me! It is available at Tanglin Mall, level 3, opp. Mother & Child.

for baby bath i strongly recommend SebaMed or Mustela coz it doesn't contain sodium laureth sulfate. This is the chemical that most product contain and if ppl like us use for long term will causes cancer.

Little Fly, do you know how much are they selling for the stand?? Am very interested, saw the same thing at Mothercare & Motherworks, but they're selling at around $80 plus just for the stand alone.

Hi Muddypie, sorry - i didn't login for quite a while. Been busy with work. Have you bought the bath tube yet, I think its over $100? I heard that John Little is selling something similar where the whole setup could is mobile. Means you could bathe ur BB in the room itself.

I have so far missed all the GSS sale
sad.gif

HI mummies
saw your posts on baby shampoo/bath. can i seek advice here? i'm using latcyd on my boy and today, he accidentally drank some cos he slipped.. is it ok?? i'm worried

Hi can I check, the Lactacyd is the greenish one tht's sold at Guardian? They dun have a bb version right? What abt cetaphil?

I use Cetaphil for baby. Its intended for sensitive skin and can is good enough to be used without water. Plus it leaves layer of moisturiser on the skin, so no need to further moisturise baby after bath already.........

i have tried Anakku and kodomo before,can't see much difference. Then my friend recommend the Sebamed for me, now i'm using it. so far okie too.

Hi! Sebamed smells quite nice but it's not an all in one tip to toe but just for the baby's body right? Has anyone used it for their baby as an all in one (shampoo+body) for their babies (newborn)? :) Which do you guys find the best smelling among all the popular brands mentioned here? :-D

Hi,

Can try Gerber products, they are very gentle & tear free... can get them from Takashimaya/Robinsons. it has got a refreshing scent.

In view of the amount of chemicals even in bb shampoos and baths, would recommend that you use organic brnds like california baby. Might be costly but i think it's worth it considering it is scientifically proven that the skin absorbs chemicals easily and that's why some medicine are taken via application. Anyway, that's just my 2 cents worth.

those mummies using J&J
Any type of bath foam also can use on bb is it? the blue (soap free, hypoallergy), peach, white etc??????

Heard that newborn baby no need use shampoo, true?

Hi Jo,

I am using J&J for my son since birth. Day time I use blue, evenings I use the purple one.

Try to use those that wont irritate the eyes.

For babies, not necessary to use separate shampoo and body soap. Just put a drop in their bath water will do then use a wash cloth to clean.

Aylene
Think your way of washing is just like what i saw and heard lo....So its ok so far right? No need to get another pail of clean water to rinse again ho. So the same pail of water to wash from head to toe right?

Caitlin
Thanks alot. btw, read that if got cradle cap, use olive oil. Mrswong from TMC said that too during the baby talk.

Jo,

My boy 14mths liao. No problem with this method. You might want to use a wet cloth of wet wipe to clean your baby's bottom before you put him/her into the tub.

I didnt do anything to my son's cradle cap last time. PD say not serious so just left it alone.

Hi Jo Yeo,

Yupz.. heard b4 olive oil helps... but for me, I opted to use shampoo to prevent cradle cap.. prefer prevention
happy.gif

Hey, can anyone enlighten me what is cradle cap? I use kodomo for my son by the way, and just brought a new bottle of tollyjoy but unopened yet.

Cradle Cap (infantile or neonatal seborrhoeic dermatitis, also known as crusta lactea, milk crust, honeycomb disease) is a yellowish, patchy, greasy, scaly and crusty skin rash that occurs on the scalp of recently born babies. It is usually not itchy, and does not bother the baby. Cradle cap most commonly begins sometime in the first 3 months. The rash is often prominent around the ear, the eyebrows or the eyelids. It may appear in other locations as well, where it is called seborrhoeic dermatitis rather than cradle cap. Some countries use the term pityriasis capitis for cradle cap. It is extremely common, with about half of all babies affected. Most of them have a mild version of the disorder. Severe cradle cap is rare.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cradle_cap

Hope this helps

Hey Aylene,

Now i know, thanks for enlightening me. My son has some too when he was born. I left it alone, and sometimes i peeled some off too. But by 2 months all on his head was gone.

hi there..

my boy has cradle cap when he's 1 mth old.. my mum say prob it's becos i din use shampoo lo.. now after i use shampoo and also apply some cream from doc, it's gone now..

i also headache on wat bath wash to use... some very exp.. now i am using Gerber though.. nice scent.. anybody using Gerber as well? hmmm need to rinse off or not huh ?

Back