Autistic children - Share your experiences here.

Hi momto3,
son is now at raffles preschool located at robin drive. teachers over there are friendly and their ratio is about 2 teachers to 16 children.

Cheers
Darren

How's everyone? Its a brand new year and hope all our kids will be better this year.

Did anyone manage to catch the episode in I see you- A caregiver's story? Last week,the programme featured an autistic teen who only started speaking at 4 year old but he is now studying animation in a polytechinic. I always wonder what my boy will become when he is a teen, will he outgrow his traits and get better or??

Anyway, some updates. My boy has proven to us that he has exceptional good memory. At 2 years 9 mths, he can read many words and spell them. I tested him two days ago, showed him a few words that he was not taught before. After showing him each word for a minute, he can spell them! And yesterday, he learn the words "Good Afternoon" at EIPIC and he could spell the words to me this morning.

I know I should be happy that my son has good literacy skills but can't help to feel worried too as I know good memory is a trait of autism. But well, its better that he has good memory than poor memory right?

Hi everybody

My 3-y-o has pretty serious delay in speech and language development. Recently, we got a child psychologist to do an observation at his school, and the psychologist told us he's pretty sure my son is on the spectrum.

I have been reading up like mad trying to get as much knowledge on what I can do, but the more I read, the most lost I become. May I ask for some help from you?

At the moment, my kid's biggest problem is echolalia. He knows some words, but can't carry out proper conversations. There's no problem so far on behaviour. He sits in class well, zones out sometimes but responses when teacher calls him, plays well with his friends, is affectionate with people he is familiar with and displays joint attention. He knows his alphabet, numbers, shapes and colours, but have some difficulty completing worksheets because he can't quite understand the instructions.

My psychologist subscribes to RDI, but after reading, I think ABA seems to be more established. Anybody has thoughts on this?

If we do go for ABA, how many sessions do we need per week? I know the recommended number of therapy hours is 40 per week, but is that all by the therapist, or maybe a session of 3 hours per week by therapist, and 37 hours of practise by parents? Anybody has experience using "Autism Recovery Network"?

I'm keen to get a formal, unbiased assessment on my kid so I know where he stands in the spectrum, and what his needs are. Getting that from our psychologist is one way, but are there more neutral institutions we can go to?

Sorry for the slew of questions, and thank you for your help in advance!

Spaghetti
Fr what I ve read, autism recovery network involves taking medi n help supplements etc, it's not like ot or st therapies. Not sure where to get RDI but I think SGP more popular with ABA. Some speech therapists n eipic centers practice ABA. But 40hrs sounded really intensive. But I ve heard of some ABA speech therapies having 3x a wk 3hrly session each time.

But if your son only issues is with language n speech then engaging a speech therapists may b sufficient unless he has other issues. ABA Is meant for behavior issues if I'm not wrong.

I personally find many docs here has "autism" in mind the moment u highlight ur concern abt ur kid with or without diagnosis. I feel some of them r v bias. official assessment I believe can only b certified by a child psychologist if I'm not wrong.

I do noticed one thing in high functioning kids in the spectrum ve in common is their good memory n academic knowledge on numbers, abc, colors n shapes! My son know all these b4 he can talk at abt 2.

Hi Cyn, thank you for coming back! Stumbling on this thread is a comfort zone for me. I felt quite alone looking up on autism this week.

Thank you for the feedback on ARN. I went to their website and that only highlighted their focus on VB-ABA therapy. They did not mention the supplements at all! I think at this juncture, I am more inclined towards behavourial therapy than dietary or medical ones...

Yes, I am concerned about the motivations behind the assessments by private psychologists. I am using a child psychologist, who I believe is fully qualified in terms of knowledge and experience. But each private psychologist also subscribes to their own therapy beliefs with comes with therapy packages. I worry (perhaps unjustifiably) that they may be inclined to put a child on the spectrum because of this.

Perhaps a hospital assessment is better?

Many comments I heard on KKH is that some psychologists are not fully professional? How about NUH or Thomson Paed? I know we'll have to dip deeply into what little savings we have for this, but I am prepared to pay as long as we get my kid on the right path...hopefully for recovery...

Hi spaghetti,

My child has been has with arn for over a year. He is moderate to severe autistic n he is dyspraxic as well. If developmentally he is on par with peers, y not first engage a speech therapist to work with him?

Hi Adeline, I am starting to worry because we noted he is starting to exhibit some strange behaviour when he is upset, like twisting his right foot awkwardly when walking, wailing loudly or whinning "please please please" non-stop.

Did you get the diagnostic assessment for your child from ARN as well?

No, mine from cdu kkh as well as his private speech n occuptional therapist. Long q though. I suggest you to bring him to cdu at nuh as the q is much shorter.

Hi Spaghetti,
I m curious to know why would your psychologist think
Your boy is in the spectrum if he plays well with his peers and has joint attention. Speech delay doesn't equals to autism.

Hi spaghetti

I realized I made a mistake. Ur qns was on Autism recovery network, I got confused with Autism recovery centre! The latter is on biomedical treatment whilst the former (ARN) is actually a therapy centre.

Sorry for the confusion

happy.gif

Hi moms and dads,

Can anyone share your child's experience and progress with Weecare or EIPIC at SPD? Any sort of info shared will definitely be helpful.

You may PM me
happy.gif

Many thanks.

My son 3.5 years old is very shy to strangers. When he was younger, he would scream and become very cranky if I brought him to birthday party, any events which will involve a lot of people. He can't play with others. When he is sitting, he will watching his hands. When he is standing, he will move forward his leg and watching his foot.

He will scream very loud if I bring him to see male doctor. He still can't talk much. He talks less than 10 words. Now, I want to bring him for assessment. I don't know whether I should bring him to a psychiatry or a paediatrician. I am living at CCK. Don't mind to travel to novena. I saw some psychiatry and pd under Thomson paediatric centre. Anyone try before? KKH is too far for me and I hate the waiting time. Thanks.

Hi star

U can go also to Nuh Cdu near jurong point but again there will b waiting time. But if u don't mind Paying private rates u can go thomson Paediatrics centre. But if I'm not wrong, if eventually ur kid need to go to any special Sch or govt subsidised eipic centers, u need to go thru the Polyclinic referral-then Nuh or kkh route. I think if u only need an assessment, all u need is a child Psychologist assessment which is avail also at other private practice. I went thru the Nuh Cdu route bcos I wanted the subsidized therapies they offer n also access tO the eipic centers, since this is going to b a long journey for my son development, subsidized therapies will definitely help n they have all the therapies there.

Btw everyone - my son managed to get a space at Metta simei, any feedback? Surprisingly quick, assessment at Metta early this mth n he can start his sessions there end of this mth. HoPe everything will go well.

Hi Star, looks to me that your boy has some kind of sensorial problems.. could be hearing (sensitive to noises) or touch ( need stimulation to his legs?)?? i would suggest you bring him to occupational therapies in the meantime.. good OT will help to identify which area of sensorial problems he is having..

Star
Can call Thomson Paedaetric Centre, 6397 6627 and look for Tee Shan Shan, she's a child psychologist. But be prepared to pay about $180 for first visit.

Initially, I brought my son to see Shan Shan but later realise the fee is really too much and to get to Epic Centres, I need to go through the Polyclinic route. I would actually suggest that you go to both private and polyclinic concurrently. Private will give u initial assessment and advise what you can do while u wait for polyclinic's referal.

Now my son is in an Epic centre, doing quite well. The centre manager came to assess his class last week and I am heartened to learn from her that my boy is doing well and he is a role model for the other kids in the class. Because he is verbal and responsive, he can actually help to stimulate the other two boys who are non-verbal. I am so thankful that I manage to get a slot for my son in the Eipic centre, just 3 months there and I see great improvement in him. His main issue now is social skills and limited play skills. Speech wise, he is speaking more now even his private therapists notice it.

Hi Tam,

Welcome back!! Long time nvr saw your post. If I not wrong your son alry in P1 mainstream rite. How is he? Doing well/can cope??

I would like to check which child care centre previously your son attend becoz my son currently in ARC and would like to let him attend child care after ARC session.

Thanks to advise.

Hi all,

Do anyone hear about music therepy?

Pls kindly share if you have info or contact regarding music therepy.

Thanks everyone for your valuable input. I will bring him to see child psychologist at Thomson paediatric first. Hopefully, his social skill and speech is improve after a few assessments.

Hi Yee yes my son is in P1 mainstream tis year. coping pretty well cos he has a grandmotherly form teacher who paid special attention to him ;) she will often (in fact everyday after school when she see me) update me his progress in class. so far so good (maths n english spelling all full marks and only problem is handwrting) and only yesterday i received his chinese teacher's phonecall (cos i didn't get to see her all the while). she need my help to get him learning hanyu pinyin spelling cos he got zero marks at the 3rd round. i quickly update her on his needs and suggested ways of handling him (tho' i had written some before as requested by teacher to all parents)and to get feedback on his class behaviour..etc we just hold a birthday party for him inviting about 12 of his classmates and seem to me that he is playing well with his friends. he even has best friend.. we were so happy and comforted when we saw a note written by his friend saying 'ds is my best friend' and still hanging on our fridge..

ds was in mainstream AM class from N2 to K2 at schoolhouse by the bay. he managed to get 2 very good teachers at K1 (mandarin teacher, who left school at end of last yr) and K2 (english teacher, new teacher in 2011) who know how to handle him and motivate him. from N2 to k1, he attended ARC in the afternoon. at k2, he attended pathlight prep class in the afternoon. for those parents with kids going to P1 next year, i would strongly recommend parent to attend 'Preparing My Child with Autism for Mainstream Learning Part 2: Strategies & Resources - EIP' on 31 oct 12. i had missed the part 1 but i think shld be useful too. 'Preparing My Child with Autism for Mainstream Learning Part 1: Is My Child Ready - EIP on 23 may 12'..
there are many other useful training courses too on the website http://www.autism.org.sg/training/calendar.php?cat=all#contents

hi star, u can attend the training courses too. but if u haven't got the medical report, then u may not qualify for the caregiving grant (i think few hundred per calendar year; i'm not sure) hence may need to fork out cash for the courses.. for a start, i would recommend to you "fundamentals of autism" on 21 mar and i thot "Managing Sensory Processing Difficulties in Children with Autism Part 1 - EIP/PRI/SEC/SPED 4 Apr 12" could be useful too.

hi spaghetti, i think you can find most of your answers in "Overview of Autism Intervention Approaches - EIP/SPED 7 Mar 12"

Hi Tam
Ask you, if my boy is not with ARC, can he still attend the Pathlight prep class? and he must be certified Autistic to attend the class? How about having Global developmental delay?

An am so glad that your boy is coping well and even has friends. This is what we hope for right? don't need them to top the class, but just pass every year, be functional and have a social life

hi scrumpee, as pathlight indicates 'primary' diagnosis of ASD, not sure about GDD with ASD.. and try calling them? see criterias per pathlight website:

IMPORTANT UPDATE AS OF 24 MARCH 2011
We are accepting applications for our Pathlight Preparatory Track and Track 2 Programmes for Academic Year 2012.

Applicants need to have a primary diagnosis of Autistic Spectrum Disorder.

Please note that submission of application does not guarantee admission. Admission is based on the outcome of a suitability assessment by Pathlight School’s psychologists, careful review by the Admissions & Review Committee, and the availability of sufficient physical and trained teaching resources.

yes, we just want him to be independent and earn a decent living with friends to share joy and pain with..

Anyone has feedback on Metta?

Today my son went for 1st day there, I was quite shock they can b rather fierce, stern n rough towards the kids including my son at my presence. I know my son wasn't complying v well jus now but today is his first day, I'm worried he may hate the place at first impression. I can hear the teachers shouting at the kids including my son I believe.

I see him like that I v heartache. His wrists red red fr the teacher holding him down as they forcefully want to make him sit down on the chair. N he actually wanted milk or his snack when he ki xiao (cry like nobody biz, screaming, shouting n jumping) but the teacher doesn't understand what he want. N he can't stand another kid crying. The teachers didn't want me there so I hide a corner

1st day already like that, I worry he may not like it there. Like some kind of disciplinary boarding Sch like that. Is this type of treatment method a norm? When the kids don't comply, it feel like a scary place for the kids fr the way how they handle them
sad.gif

Cyn here
your boy is there for his EIPIC lesson or going there full time on a daily basis? Quite surprise that they can be so rough cos my boy's EIPIC centre's teachers are very nice and super patient.

My son is there for eipic. 2x per wk 3hrs each time. They r definitely not those patient types lor. They r quite strict to the kids n can shout at the kids like "GO SIT DOWN!", "STOP CRYING!" etc. n I was there when I saw my son being held down forcefully onto the chair. He was excited over the music being played on the big screen tv during circle time, they started off with parts where the kids all got up n dance n jump ard, so my son was happily joining them then midway thru, there r parts whereby all kids sit on their chair n watch the tv but my son didn't obliged (probably bvos he isn't used to their routine n he is also hyper n excited or mayb confused that earlier part he was allowed to dance n jump like everyone else) n when they ask him to sit, he wanted get up to look for me (I was standing fr a short distance away at the back) but they insist he sit down on his chair like everyone else, he struggled n 2 teachers pin him down to the chair by force. I was quite surprise they did that. I mean mayb they feel kids with issues need to b handled like that but then shld it b applicable for all? N is this the right method? The fact that they did this openly Infront of me n entire Sch (circle time is held as an entire Sch which is only a total of abt 20 or less kids with 8-10 teachers), gave me the impression that is how they handle such situations. Of course in class time, when the kids comply, they r ok with them but when my son tried to get up to go to me, again the same teacher force him to sit on his chair by force by pining him down n blocking the chair fr moving out fr under the table. They make sure he finish his task then they let him go to me. It feel scary to me if I'm in my son shoes.

N I did mention to them he at times may get restless n need his milk in the afternoon abt 3pm but sometimes he may not tell n will throw a tantrum instead. So when 3.30 came, I was hiding at a corner n I could hear him crying n screaming really loud n the teacher didn't understand him n brought him as a class to the padded mini gym rm n locked the door n he went berserk, shouting to get out! He was screaming really loud n the meltdown was really bad, I could hear the teacher shouting at him too. after a few min, I went to knock n ask the teacher to come out. I spoke to her n told her it could b he want his milk or snack bvos while he was screaming n shouting, I could hear him shouting for his snack but the teacher didn't understand what he said. I felt its a terrible experience for him being a first day there. This morning I casually ask him whether he want to go there, he said no!

Cyn here
I get the picture. OK, about pinning the kids down, the teachers at my boy's EIPIC do that too. And I can understand why because they need them to comply and mind you, the kids really struggle and are very strong lor, so the only way is to use abit of force to pin them down.

Sure I understand that it is very heartache for you or any parents to see their kids being forced by teachers but if the teachers don't and let the kids run around, there will be no discipline and your boy will not be able to learn and understand that he is now in a classroom and has to follow rules.

But perhaps the teacher's tone of voice is abit harsh, she could have been more patient since this is your boy's first day, if not it will scare him off.

hi cyn

i'm quite shocked if you said you can hear the teacher shouting at him.. i had never seen any ARC or pathlight teacher shouting at children before cos most autistick kids has auditory processing problem. during tantrums/meltdown, either they show him cards(allow him to choose which actvity ie the appropriate strategies during anger he want) or try to calm him down (physically away from current activites/ environment )or redirect ( show him the work system/schedules and let him do the next activity if current activity is creating tension in him) . and they talk in calm controlled tone at most times. (cos some kids can be too sensitive to high pitch sounds) are the teachers at metta aware that he is autistic?? maybe need to highlight to teachers if he has any sensorial problems too.. or what strategies the teachers would use when he has a meltdown.. and why..

i remembered it was only when i send ds to OT at NUH, they require my help to 'pin' him down if he walked away from activities. the reason is because the OT want him to learn to follow the schedules. i didn't really pin him down but to hold him hands back to the activity area. he was 3+ then.. and before start of epic program at arc.

Scrumpee - so it is a norm! I didn't expected that although I did wonder when I saw that. His wrists were all red after he was released. I wasnt sure that is how they make sure they follow the rules. But at the same time, I'm worried my son will b too frighten to go there.

Tam - my son do ve auditory processing issues. He hasn't been diagnosed yet but I'm quite certain he has it. Bvos he can't tolerate kids crying or when ppl cheer loudly during parties n when I call out alittle louder to someone in the house who is perhaps in the next rm, he will cry v emotionally irregardless my tone was calm or fierce. But I did mention to the teacher he can't tolerate other kids crying, n her response is he need to learn to accept, so I guess their method is expose the child n let him deal with it himself by perhaps controlling his meltdown instead but not avoiding it. I dunno. I jus feel so unprepared for all these. It feel scary to me, not only for my son.

Just wondering Does any of ur child eipic Sch use a lot of videos for their sessiOns?

Today is my son 3rd day at Metta, he seem v nervous n scared when we were leaving the house to get there. But when we reach, the teacher ask me to try n wait outside n see how he is. He didn't realize I didn't follow him in as he walked in. He is still in there now as i'm typing this. No cry apparently, hopefully he stay like this thru out, keeping my fingers crossed.

Last wk (2nd day), he refuse to go in n kept saying he doesn't want to go there. I actually ve to go into the class to get him into the rm. midway thru circle time, I sneak out with teacher's help. When circle time ended, he refuse to return to class, cry n jump n bang on the door till vomitted. After that, teacher tried to distract him with his favorite number writing thereafter he was ok thru out. Perhaps it also helped that I told the teacher that he didn't want to go there n mayb they try to b alittle more patient n lenient to him since then. N also luckily the teachers that pin him down forcefully wasn't he usual teachers, it happened that his first day one of his teachers was not in that day.

Hopefully all will go well.
happy.gif

Can anyone advise where they find their OT/ST? Appreciate if you could also let me know how much they are charging. THANKS!

Hi mummies

I've read all the posts written by you from Feb 2009 till now.

Thank you for all your sharings and I hope you can provide me with some guides.

My son 3y8mths has just gone for 3 sessions of OT at JMC.
ST due in May and diagnosis report in June.
Suspected to have aspergers syndrome cos he can speaks very well but poor social skills with peers and cannot sit still ( at his current PCF). Also weak in fine motor skills.

Like some of u here, I'm thinking of sending him to a child care instead of nursery (for more social interaction) while continue with OT and extra eip on either weekdays or weekends.
My queries:
I read and summarized and would like to know which centre do u think suits his condition. ( assuming that $ is not a major issue not bcos am rich, in fact I'm a sahm living on my savings).

1) is mindchamps child care gd? Any idea if they accept sn kids?

2) is st Gerard value for $?

3) does wee care have child care facility ?

4) how about k4k other than it's run down ?

Thanks to all mummies. I used to have undiagnosed mild depression as the Principal n trs at his current PCF gave me a lot of stress. Comtemplated suicide by didn't cos I know I'm the only one who could help my son.

4) which of the above cc u think is gd?

Hi summert02,

My son is about same age with yours, June 08 baby. I can't advise on your queries. Just want to share, last Saturday was our first consultation with psychologist. I brought him to pte psychologist because we do not want to wait. My boy has poor social skill and speech is quite limited. I hope his social skill will improve after he started his school early this year. I will bring him to speech therapy and ask for referral from polyclinic.

Hi star

Thanks for the sharing. Truly appreciate.

May I know if the psychologist is able to give the diagnosis on the spot? And is your son in mainstream sch ? Is it in the west?

I'm bringing my son for OT (CDU) and interview assessment at k4k tomorrow.

Hi summert02,

My son is in church kindergarten. I m residing at cck. The psychologist is not able to give any diagnosis. Ask to go for iq and autism test cost about $1800. My mom discourage me to send to eipic. Hence, I m thinking what s the purpose of the test? Only want to know autism or not and get into eipic? I only need speech therapist now.

Hi star

Thanks for sharing. I managed to find one CCC which has teachers who are special needs trained. Though it's far I decided to place him there.
happy.gif
)

I think kids with autism have a better chance of adjusting better if they are put in a therapeutic program, especially in a wilderness therapy program. Wilderness therapy program is a short-term program for troubled kids that combines therapy with activities such as camping, hiking and wilderness survival. They are effective because they emphasize behavioral change through therapy and teaching new skills.

For those of you thinking of a kindergarten who is open to accepting special needs kids, I highly recommend St James Kindergarten - the principal is very forward looking and very open to having special needs kids in their classes..

Back