Autistic children - Share your experiences here.

hi scrumpee, no worry.. cos even if he is, shld be very mild. and since u are starting therapies very early before 3, it shld be very effective and very high chance of him to integrate with mainstream easily.

Thanks Tam.

I should learn from you, always so positive.

Anyway, have you all heard of Wee Care? The centres provide classes for typical and autistic kids. They also provide social skills therapy to help kids with special needs. It was recommended by my psychologist and I have just booked a slot wit them to assess what therapy is suitable for my son.

BTW, mommies. I need your advise. My girl is due for CC next year but the current CC that my boy attends has no more vacancy. So we have no choice but to look for other available CC near my son's CC. We managed to find a vacancy for my girl in Modern Montessori International (MMI) which is just opp my son's CC. But for convenience, we would like to switch my son to MMI too. Apart from the convenience reason, we also find that my son's current CC is unable to give him more attention as his class currently has at least 15 toddlers, so can you imagine the chaos?

And my psychologist said that she is surprised that the CC did not notice my son has speech delay or lack of social skills. And every time I asked the CC teachers, they don't think he has a problem and said that it is usual for toddlers their age to parallel play. As for speech, I think my son is not unique because the teacher also said that there are a few boys in the class that don't speak as well too.

So I am in a dilemma now. Should I change my son's CC? I am afraid moving him to a new environment will traumatise him but his current CC doesn't seemed equipped or experience enough to pick out his traits and help him.

For MMI, I spoke to the principal about my son's condition and she seems quite experience with handling kids with speech delay as there are cases of such in the centre.

So if you are me, will you change my son's CC?

Srumpee - ur son does sound like he has similar traits as mine but still he isnt diagnosed yet. Which psychologist u went? Till now I'm not v convinced on some of the doctors, my pd actually said as long as anybody who has poor social skills, most of the time they r considered autistic Liao! But they may b normal kids as well, that Is y it's a spectrum, it's a grey area.

Their interest on shapes, colors n numbers etc. According to montessori theory, they believe children pass thru a phrase called the "sensitive period" (think so) n it means that there will b a time they bcome particularly interested in that area eg colors n that is when the teachers will tap on n expand on that area to teach since the interest is there, then later the child will move on n get interested in other area eg numbers n then they tap on it again. So I don't quite agree on this. N plus every educational material u can find out there in shops for this age group is NUMBERS, COLORS, SHAPES etc! So how can the child b not interested when they constantly exposed to it everyday via video, books n Sch etc.

Reading - my son can read too but not comprehend v well. That Is bcos he know his phonics he learnt fr Sch n DVDs. N he was exposed to flashcards n firstwords books since v young so obviously he know alot of words but doesnt know enough adjectives or verbs bcos there isn't enough verbal conversational interaction with him. Naturally when u see a big word u ve no idea of, as an adult, u naturally also attempt to pronounce it but has no clue what it meant until u go look up in the dictionary. So as a kid, they know phonics, they try to read the word but he won't understand until u tell or show them what it meant.

I find all these doc r using checklist as diagnosis. I'm not challenging them but some of the things they say makes me wonder logically.

To me, what is impt is actually teaching him how to catchup to the rest n try to do n learn everything we can try to teach bcos they do ve delay but doesn't mean they can't learn, they jus take longer to learn. Therapies r meant to help n teach them so with or without diagnosis we shld still put in more effort to teach them bcos they jus learn in a diff way n pace.

Btw, I ve seen (peep fr outside class)wee care at east coast polliwog, I think the senior therapists r quite patient but i saw the younger one v impatient with the kids. N u won't know Which Sch is Gd until u try out or get feedback fr parents of that Sch. My son previous Montessori Sch told me there ve no prob with his issues but after he enroll, they left him doin nothing n even when he show interest on other kids project or activity, they took him away n place him back to his rug with his number boards of 1-10 for the entire 3.5hrs there, playing with the same material, when he got bored they still ignore n let him do nothing. When I pick him up fr Sch, I ask the teacher how is he today, her reply is "Oh as usual, nothing nothing nothing!!" it's not a cheap Sch, it's abt 1k per mth fees!

Cyn here
I agree with you. We parents are told that Shichida, flashcards, Glen Domain and Your baby can read type of materials are good for our kids so that they can recognise words faster etc but this turns out to be a trait of autism in the eyes of the doctors.

When my son was at the psychologist's room yesterday, he saw the Windows logo on the computer screen. The logo has several colours and he shouted blue (but he was looking at me when he said that, telling me there's a blue colour on the screen). And he repeated a few times. So by this, the psychologist said that this is repetitive. Is it??

My psychologist is from Thomson Pediatric Centre

Reading- Just to clarify, my son's diction is still poor but he can recognise many words.

Emotions- The psychologist also asks if my child show emotions i.e will he comfort me if I am upset. I mean I have not cry in from of him before so how would I know. But when we ask him to make smiley face, he will fake a smile and when we ask him to make crying face, he will pretend to cry.

Pretend play- And he recently will say " orh orh" put his hands on his face to do the expression when he was playing car banging. This is a good sign ? yes?

Cyn here, so your son is still with a Montessori School? And he has not been diagnosed? do you intend to?

For me, if the response from subsequent visit to the psychologist is still the same, saying that he has traits but cannot confirm, I may not put him on a formal diagnosis but continue to put him on therapy to help him.

Oh.. and my psychologist also said that if she is to diagnose my boy now, she is likely to put him under the the PDD category which is non-conclusive. That's why she don't suggest we put him on assessment now, told us to start his therapy at Wee Care for 2 terms before going to her for a review.

Hi Mummies
Today is a sad day for me. I had a chance to speak to the Chinese teacher today and the feedback was a stab in my heart. She feels that my boy is different from others and based on her observations, he does display traits of autism.

1. He likes to look at rotating objects such as ceiling fan but the frequency has been reduced as compared to a few months ago when she took over the class. I don't deny this. I know he still looks at them but the frequency definitely reduces alot as compared to when he was before 2 years old.

2. He does not blend well in class, not much interaction between him and his classmates. He will also wander off sometimes and do his own things.

3. He can't take group instructions well but can take instruction if given one-to-one.

4. His fine mother skills are poor

5. He claps his hands often

6. When other kids snatch his toys, he will not attempt to snatch it back.

Tam,
I need advise from you. Not sure if you have answered this before
1. Your boy is diagnose at NUH or KKH? Which one is faster? My boy has been seeing KKH for speech therapy

2. After the diagnosis, they refer you to ARC? Does that give you priority in queue and do you receive subsidy?

And do you think I should go for a diagnosis now or like what my psychologist suggested, go for therapy first and review later?

And I am upset that the teachers did not tell me all these and if I didn't not ask this today, I will never know.

Thanks

Hi Scrumpee
as we were really panicky n needed an answer asap, we queued at both CDU at nuh n kkh.. as we queue nuh with referral letter, we went to nuh for follow up. i remember the pd was telling us the label (whether asd or not) is not important, the important thing is to know how to help him...

i think after first appointment at cdu, they recommend us to go for few hours assessment to determine if he is asd. we took the assessment at nuh (cos got subsidy mah..). after assessment, the pd says most likely is PDD. but when collecting the final doc diagnosis, the PD says she change to asd after more indepth analysis. and she gave us contact to social worker for early intervention schools(eg ARC, rainbow).. i don't think the diagnosis will give priority in queue but the admission criteria require doctor diagnosis. i did not wait for social worker, i called up the school directly after i got my report.

while waiting for admission into arc, nuh arrange ot and st for him. although he was verbal, he did not use it approriately. the st helped alot but stopped after a few sessions cos she felt there is no need for him to continue. we continued the ot then till arc..

my boy has same points 1 -6 of yours. for 6, he cried when some kid did to him. but now of cos he snatched back but i got to tell him that it is not nice to snatch..

personally i do not see any 'negative side' of being diagnosed early (at worst false alarm).. cos u can then start to queue up for the early intervention centre asap.

i remembered both my hb n i stillll could not believe it that he was asd. so we would ask the arc teachers if they think he is. they would say only doc will advise but they identify gaps in him. eg play skills at 3+ years old. they showed me a table and i realise most play skills he is at 1-2 yrs old..

they also highlight to me that he can focus better at a table facing a wall, rather than on the floor etc.. so don't worry, even if he is not, the arc teachers will help to 'minimise' any gaps for his age level.

Hi Tam
Thanks for the detailed reply

I just called up KKH CDU, they will get back to me on an appt with the PD. I requested to see a psychologist directly though.

And I also checked out ARC's WeCAN EIP and the lady told me that at 2.5 years, my son may be too young to take a full assessment but can proceed with an clinical diagnosis which will also help to kick start the process of waiting for EIP. I am shocked to hear that EIP at ARC has an approximately waiting time of 1 year! wow! I didn't expect so long, I thought at the very most, 6 mths.

BTW, this is your email address right [email protected]? Is it ok if I email you time to time to seek advise?

And for your boy who is 6 now, does he still have the traits or most of them have ironed out by themselves as he grows older?

Srumpee
My son now at normal preschool, this current one is gd, the teachers r v patient n helpful with him. I don’t even need to tell them his issues, they are already willing to guide and prompt him. He can sit down with the group now but attention still v bad.

He isn’t diagnosed yet n I’m still hesitating to do it or not. It actually doesn’t make much diff since with or without diagnosis, he still need the therapies. The diagnosis is only meant for affirmation of his condition and getting into special school later. But I think the diagnosis will affect insurance also, ie u can’t buy insur for him once he is diagnosed as autistic.

Abt ur son repeating the window logo color, my son does such things too but I find that its only meant for affirmation of what he just learnt. When he just learnt his colors, he get v excited when he see the color n will point n repeat the color, looking at me, waiting for me to repeat after him.. once I repeat the word, he stop n proceed to another.. so same thing when he see pictures of animals or vehicles etc, he will point, repeat the words many times while looking at me until I repeat after him, then he stop n proceed n so on.

Abt ur son sch observations, my son does the same as urs per points 2,3,4, 6. he doesn’t stare at ceiling fan but when he go on the Thomas kiddy ride, he likes to see the wheel rotating but other times when he play with his Thomas trains, he doesn’t do that. But point 6, he used to b like urs but now snatch toys fr ppl and will fight back if being stopped. I try to pull him away n he try to attack the child with his hand, if hand can’t reach, he try his legs! I ve to really grab him.

Fr what I heard is that such diagnosis can only b done if the child is 3yrs n above. The q time for the govt subsidised centres is MIN 6 mths! Not max. N the subsidy for these centres depend on combined household income. If high income, the fees may b the same as the private ones.

i ve 1 qns.

anybody here know whether any of these centres has accompanied programs (accompanied by parent)? or 1to1?

fr what i heard, they are drop-off classes. is it all like this?

thanks

Cyn here
I was hesitant to send him for diagnosis too but if I want to send him for EIP, it must be supported by a diagnosis report. I don't want him to be deprived of the therapies, although I am also arranging private OT, ST and social skills therapy for him.

For your boy, what therapies have u arranged for him? all private? How about ABA? And your boy is how old now?

And mummies, I hope we can form a support group here and maybe we can organise play dates for our children. I will try to organise one if you all are keen.

Hi Scrumpee
u may pm me anytime
happy.gif

for my boy current situation, pt 4 still apply. rest are ironed out
happy.gif

Hi Cyn

i didn't know that he cannot buy insurance!! oh dear.. but luckily i bought hosptial n life insurance n endownment when he was borned..

Tam, thanks. I m grateful. And am happy to know that your son has ironed out most if the issues. I will do my best for my son and hopefully he will make great improvement like your son too.

Mummies, some new things that my son displayed these 2 weeks.

- he will say 'mmm' when he ate something good, looking very satisfied. Just like how we adults normally do. I did it a few times with him and somehow he understand and applies it on himself
- if something happen, like drop his shoes when we were
carrying him, he will say "ooh o!".

And now is very difficult to get him to nod his head to indicate yes. When he was non verbal , he would nod. Any one knows if this is something the OT or ST can help with?

Hi Srumpee......our kids are slow....we have to have patience to teach them slowly.... if you can afford a child care centre with integrated help...it would be better but often these places are very expensive. Choosing the right Child care is also impt as msot of the time, our kids are in the school & we depend alot on the school to take care of them & also that is the place where "sharing" is done/showed as the peers are most the same age. Just like my son, he showed alot of improved from this child care centre where teachers are good & willing to help my son with patience & persistence. I am glad that my son did well in the child care centre & we are also trying to do the home-work with him at home of cos, sure got fight between parents & kid. We have to let our kids mix with other kids probably in the playground., let the kids run together or chase each other as this might help too.

Does mummies here know of any mainstream child care centres having teachers who are patient and willing to work with parents' special instructions in handling the kid? I'm sourcing for one in the west like clement or west coast area. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated!

Hi doodie doo, I know that a few Touch childcare centres are integrated centres, meaning they accept special needs tog with mainstream kids. You might want to check their website for one nearest you then call to ask if that centre is an intergrated centre. I know of one mommy whose asd kid is at the hougang branch.

Dear Mummies,
I am a devastating mummy who are here to seek your advice. My 17 mths son has displayed most of the autistic symptoms, namely:

• Lack of eye contact
• No response
• Hand flapping/clapping
• Looking at ceiling and light
• Spinning of objects
• Non-verbal
• Laugh for no reason
• Weak social skill. When placed with other children, he will only look at the toys they are holding and crawled to snatch but no eye-contact with the children and no response when they initiated to play with him

I have started my observation as early as 10 months but thought he is a late developer and just give him time. However, recently, the traits were so obvious that my immediate family members decided to share with me honestly their observations that he is not normal. My recent discussion to his PD also reflected negative outcome, though she said to wait till he turns 2 to formalize the assessment.

As a mother, I really feel heart-broken and my world turned grey overnight. I have been denial for the past months, hoping that he will catch up but I guess it’s time to be pro-active and move on to seek help.

I know there are some mummies out there who might advise me to seek a wait and see approach but after discussion with my husband, we decided to start early intervention program which is within our affordability.

I see how you mummies battle and took situations in your stride and felt encouraged when reading your posts. Would like to seek your opinion and also some clarifiacations since I am totally new to this ‘world’:

1. What is the difference between WeeCare, ARC, Rainbow, Metta etc? I am quite confused as to what sort of programs do they provide? Solely for kids with special needs? Can we only enroll when there is a clear diagnosis from the professionals?
2. I am thinking of enrolling him into a mainstream playgroup when he turns 18 months next month but my family is against the idea as they feel that he is not ready. Given the large group that the teacher needs to handle, they would probably just leave him alone which might worsen his case. Your views?
3. To kick start the therapy, how should I decide if he should start speech therapy, occupational therapy or any other therapy? Also, where can I get the contacts of good therapy?

I have read through all posts in the thread but seriously, am feeling lost as I read along. Just finished the book ‘Come into my world’ and my tears just couldn’t stop rolling down. It is not helpful that I just gave birth to my second one 6 weeks ago and I am so terrified that she will have the same issue. As much as I would like to stay positive, I just feel that the world has shut me off…….

Hi Twinstar, I went thru the same emotional rollercoaster as u. U are not alone. Right now I think this is what u can do.

1. Send him to childcare half or full time
It's very useful. My boy attended full time Cc when he was 22 mths. And from there he learnt numbers, alphabets, colours and also started to speak single words. Before
that he was non verbal. He also gets a chance to socialize
with his peers although he still dun play with them. It's Impt that u tell the cc upfront about your boy's condition so that the teachers will help u to keep a look out in him. Ask the teacher to write down his daily progress in the communication hand book, what he eat and what did he do or learn in sch for
the day.
2. Go to polyclinic to get a referral to kkh's child develoPment unit for an assessment. Tell them u want the earliest date possible. Thru the kkh CDU, I attended the Next Step seminar yesterday where the social worker briefed us On the process of applying subsidized Early Intervention Program and we signed up for the Signpost course that teach us how
to manage our child's behavior. At the seminar, you will meet
parents who are in the same boat as you, you won't feel so
lonely.

3. Find out from the polyclinic how you can sign up Kkh ENT's It takes two to talk course. It is a course to equip
parents on how to talk to our kids who have speech delay. It
is very useful. My hubby and I learn alot from there and I
think it help to stimulate our boy's speech. U pay subsidized
rate if u go thru Polyclinic, around $750. Private rate is $1500.
I paid private cos I went in thru my PD.

4. Hearing test
Forgot to mention this, before any diagnosis, the doc will usually ask to check your kid's hearing to ensure he has no
hearing impairment. That was the very first step that my boy
went thru before he started all the therapies.

5. Private therapy
The waiting time at public hospital is very long, esp for the
therapy sessions. Queue for early intervention prog at
such as ARC and rainbow is worst, can wait up till 12 mths.
While I put my son on queue, I started pte therapies on him
such as speech, occupational with Thomson Padaetric
Centre. I am also starting my boy on Wee Care, a private
therapy centre for kids with development delay. Thomson Paediatric Centre also provides ASD assessment but is very costly and since your boy is only 17 mths, it's very unlikely that they will do it. They will ask u to wait till he turns 2 or 3. But therapies can be done before assessment.

Hope the info is helpful. I went through the stage of denial, fear, bargaining and now I decided to be open about my boy's condition. And becos I m open about it, I found out 2 of my frens's son also have the same prob and we exchange tips and found support in each other

check out the we site on the services it provide. Their main office is at the Friven & co building opp Tanglin Mall.

Dear Scrumpee,
Thanks for the sharing.

1. Yes, we have enrolled him into playgroup in Oct as he officially turns 18 mths end Sept and that is the entry criteria. For a start, he will attend 3 x a week for half a day till they have vacancy to accept him on daily basis. I hope this will help him in his social skill.
2. Can you share your contacts of the therapists you have engaged as well as the cost? You can pm me if that works better.
3. Do you know what sort of therapy I should look into first for now? There seems to be a wide range of therapies out there to assist but I am at a loss of what to go into first.

I have to admit that I am currently in the denial stage. On one hand, I wish to stay strong and look at the situation positively but on the other hand, I can’t help to feel hopeless and distraught. I feel very unfair to my newborn as I keep tearing when I breastfeed her……

Hi twinstar, hang on there and stay strong. From your writing I figured you'll be able to survive this very well. It is ok to Let out your emotions and cry, but make sure you talk about it with your hubby or other family members or even here. When therapy or other forms of intervention starts, you'll get to see your son's progress and meet other parents and that's when you'll see hope and feel less frustrated. As for your 2nd child, I fully understand wat you are going through, as i've just given birth to my number two too. The difference is that we chose to have number two despite knowing number one's condition. But we saw much progress in no. One and also we wanted to ensure there's another close family member with him when we pass on later in life. Well if number two is also assessed to be asd then my hubby and I shall just have to accept fate.

Do Stay positive, your son is really still very young, and nobody's sure about wat he'll be like when he's older. In any case, there's lots of support now in tis area, if later the assessment turns out otherwise.

Dear Upie,

Thanks for the comforting email. It's great to learn of this thread and you strong mothers. The crying hasn't stopped and I still feel extremely hopeless and depressed. Am trying hard to be more positive to be fair to my second one. Well, I was pregnant when my first one was only 7 months and at this juncture, I can't help to feel silly and stupid to this decision of second pregnany. Now I am caught in this situation that I am so paranoid that the second one will have the same situation. Sigh......

Mummies
How do you do to improve your kids' pretend play ability? Any suggestions? Will buying those kitchen set help?

The ST said my boy needs to work on his pretend play. My boy can do a bit, but not good.

Dear mummies,
I have been following this thread for a while.

I have a son whom i suspected that he could be austistic since 2.5yrs old, but he's on the high-functioning end -- Asperger Syndrome. He has majority of the traits of Asperger Syndrome -- speaks well, age-appropriate cognitive skills, very ritualistic behaviour, sensory integration problems, less-than-average eye contact and difficulty focusing on tasks.

However as time passes by, and as i am contemplating to send him for full formal assessment so he can attend special school, he seemed to improve. Maybe because I have been helping him with eye contact issues etc.

Now at 3yrs 4mths, I do not think he his autistic but he definitely has sensory integration problems and he is sometimes too engrossed in his own ritualistic behavour. These are things which occupational therapist can help so I signed him up for Ocupational Therapy in a private school. The therapist told me that he has seen many autistic kids and he thinks that my son is far from them. I am happy to hear that though I still have some doubts.

What I am trying to say is that, sometimes the kids with mild symptoms do improve over time if you work hard to help them. However, do trust your motherly instinct to start interventions at the right juncture. I feel that if you are not sure if your kid is austistic but he do display some symtoms and you dont wish to label him yet, no harm starting with speech/language therapy & occupational therapy, if your financial situation can allow you to.

I was in denial for a period and that's perfectly normal. However we need to remember that if we as parents are also depressed, then there will be no one to help the kids. I have a fren whose son was diagnosed as autistic since 2.5yr old but with therapies and her deep involvement, her son is now in mainstream school primary 3 and ranked top 10 in class.

Mummies, be strong and have faith that some of the traits will improve over time if you work with the therapist and be consistent in your method.

Srumpee, yes, definitely! I buy anything from kitchen set + food set to toy vacuum cleaners and tool table and sets. Those baby doll with bath tub are good too. MOST IMPORTANTLY, we as parents must play with them. My son enjoys such sessions tremendously, especially pretending to cook and eat. He also loves bathing the baby doll, mimicking me as how I would bath him. The key is not about being good or bad at it, but to enjoy it!

Twinstar, we all will feel despair at this stage. You have to ride it out! Stay strong. Over at my side, we feel paranoid about Number 2 too. The poor chap's only 2 months and mommy kept looking out for signs of autism already! For me, I joke about it with my hubby, in a self-help attempt to make light the situation and stay sane ;P
Do continue to stay in this forum to get more support from fellow mommies.

Hi Doobie doo, welcome to the thread! You have given us a lot of hope with your positive examples
happy.gif
We need that! thanks
happy.gif

Hi twinstar,

Im writing too ... To tell you tat you should give yourself a pat on your shoulder to detect such signs at such an early age. For me, due to our negliency n ignorance, my 2nd boy was clinically diagnosed wirh moderate to severe asd at rhe age close to 3 n while i was pregnant with my 3rd child. We struggled a while as whether to keep the 3rd bb as ny child then was quite delayed... I when thru tearful nite during pregancy n maternity leave n even now, as n when i will also b in tears .... Im also wary of my baby development n not to be complacent. Lets be strong for our children n work together to get them improve over times.
Your boy is so young... Im sure wirh early intervention, the gaps between his peers can be catchup fast. You may call me n chat if u wan a listening ear!
Cheer up mummy!

Thanks Upie. From your posting, you sounded like a very positve mummy. Good for you! Don't put too much pressure on yourself with regards to no. 2.

Just want to share that my son's pretend play is also quite poor and limited. We really need to invest a lot of time to play with them. I personally think Lego sets and Playdoh are good ways to encourage pretend play. Or you could also try enrolling him in Wee Care in which their sessions have a lot of pretend play settings. My son was there for two terms for Sat Class and their settings are always very creative. So far i have not seen them repeated any settings.
happy.gif
Can consider them.

Doobie
Great to hear good feedback on Wee Care. I am also starting my boy there in two weeks time.

Yesterday, my hubby and I went to toy R us to get some 'quality toys' for my boy, we bought a fishing set (to train his hand and eye co-ordination), a threading set and a playdoh set. We kept away all the electronic toys from him as those toys are not really good for them. I also try to limit him in playing anything with wheels like cars.

And our boy surprise us yesterday by spelling "Oreo" , yes the Oreo as in Oreo biscuit. While I am happy that he has great memory skills, I am also wary that this is an autism trait because at 2.5 years old, I think being able to spell is quite unusual. But I have decided to see this as a strength and work on it. So at least next time, I don't have to worry about his spelling test.
happy.gif

Then in the school this morning, he whined wanting me to carry him. So I asked him what he wants, he replied "I want". Then I asked him again "What do you want" and he said "carry...bao bao". Well...just to share that this is technic I learnt from the "It takes two to talk" course, to wait and listen to your kid before giving in to their requests.

And Upie, I am same like you. Kept monitoring my no.2, a gal, to check for autism traits. And through observation, I realise how different my boy is from his one-year old sister. My gal can babble and point using index finger and more responsive. So I hope my gal will not have the same issues as the brother.

And I would also like to share my friend's son's experience. I had a long chat with her last nite and she shared with me that her boy was diagnoised at 2.5 years and she started ST, OT, and Wee Care on him. Her son was lucky because he did not wait long before getting a place in Rainbow for EIPIC. From the time the son was clinically diagnosed to enrollment in rainbow, it was less than 3 months. The waiting time was so short that he got into rainbow even before he is due for a full ASD assessment. She also started a partial GCFC diet on his boy for a year, mainly to cut off cow's milk (replace with Rice water or soy milk) and anything with wheat. Her boy seems to improve after starting on the diet.

And now at 7 year old, her boy is in Pri 1 in a mainstream primary school. So far so good for him. Speech wise, he can bargain and share what happen in school but writing still needs practice.

I hope our special needs kids will be able to go to mainstream too just like the few examples that we read here

Hi ladies, it is indeed nice to have so much sharing here:) maybe one day we should meet up for a chat or playdate. However my boy seems overaged, he's already 5! 'Jia you' to us mommies, in our quest to help our special lovable children!

Scrumpee,

Its inspiring to know of yr friend's son progress ... hmm you can ask your friend to join this thread so we could know abt the interventions route that she has taken .....
happy.gif

Dear Mummies,

I have a question to check - for your child, did you see they displaying different symptoms as they grow? as in you will see 'new' and unusal behaviours as they grow?

momto3
umm...don't think she wants to join this thread leh, cos his son already quite big and she seems pretty busy. I will share on her behalf
happy.gif

One more thing that she did, she got a private tutor who specialise in teaching special needs kids to teach her son Eng and Maths during K1 and K2 to prepare her son for mainstream. Very costly, $500plus per mth. And she sees improvement.

twinstar,

answer to yr questions on the behaviour, some will disappear n 'appear' again after months or so.... that's the case for my son .... mainly sensory issues
sad.gif

Hi scrumpee,

How much is per hr session? Is the teacher fr one of the special education school? Wats the frequency? Twice a wk?
One mummy spend 1k per mth for 20 lessons a mth at 50/hr.

Hi Twinstar
my son at 6+, his current behaviour issues are:
1. not good with interacting with friends - he can but may not know how to please them. abit self centred kind of interaction. got to teach him more in this area.
2. not good with handwriting. but recently he can give very good and neat handwriting without prompting.
3. difficulty in completing task. eg doing homework with few double sided pages, he may miss a page entirely. need to train him to check his work properly.
4. handling emotions when things that means alot to him goes wrong. he handle his emotions better when not with us. - which i think is a good sign since that means he is conscious of others' views of him. but at home, he will cry easily if he miss his computer time (we restrict to one hour and basically he just google search for his obsessions. now is animals) or he finds the food not tasty enough. (he loves to eat).
5. still clumsy. he can still fall while walking on a flat surface eg void deck! will let him learn how to skate when he got more time next year..
6. still cannot colour well. his 4 yrs old bro colour much much better than him.

other achievements are:
1.able to play violin (>10 pieces of suzuki violin ); target to let him take grade 1 next year when has more time..
2. able to tread water and swim dog style without float (he was actually trying to walk in water). will let him take up proper swim lesson next yr when reach pri school next yr.. we decided to send him to mainstream..
3. able to draw very well. so he will draw and didi will colour.. ha ha
4. play very well with his bro. hence they really don't need my presence when both of them together. n i always use didi to demo to him the correct behaviours in certain situations. i find that he is more interested if i talk to didi rather than to him directly. ie he likes to 'eavesdrop' our conversations.
5. shows interest in his friends; want to invite them to his house/party and take intiatives to play with them.
6. more independent: able to ask help from teachers/strangers when need to. he is also wary of strangers and other dangers. eg not to run across roads. also able to go to public toilet on his own while i wait for him outside. able to shower/brush teeth on his own with my supervision..

the list above is not exhaustive lah.. but to give u an idea that things will get better but not smooth sailing though..

Tam,

your son is doing wel1.... I would think he is high functioning
happy.gif
can you share what kind of interventions that you r doing for him ?

Many thanks

Tam, your son is doing very well. Seem like he has catch up with his peers and those issues that u mention, I dun think they are even issues. I m sure other kids who are non- autistic have their own fair share of issues. If my boy can be like yours when he is 6, I will be very happy.

hi momto3

i think the main intervention with him is i quit my job and stay full time with him when he was about 3.5yo.. i send away the younger one in the afternoon so that i can have 1 to 1 time with him. in fact i wish tt i could hv done that much earlier when he was <3..

and of course while staying home with him, as mentioned before, i got help from ARC and OT (only few sessions cos cannot afford) on how to manage his autism issues..
i would also think that sending him to daily AM nursery (N2 to K2)class (about 20 in his class/with observation room and able to advice/obtain feedback from teachers regularly) also help. he picked up alot of social skills from his classmates.
and since OT is out of reach for him, i send him to music class (seimpi), and violin class(crestar). for latter is 1 to 1 suzuki violin. as his main behaviour problem is difficulty in focusing/completing task, i thought playing violin can train those areas (listening, looking notes and playing the whole song, train his fine motor skills etc)
lastly, i think his father also helped alot. he frequently play silly games with him too, cos the younger one demand alot of my attention..

forgot to add one very important thing - his bro helped him alot. he picked up alot of correct social behaviours from his brother who is 2.5 younger than him. eg if i m bad mood and reply him in not-so-nice tone, his didi will say 'talk to me nicely'. and ds will pick it up and imitate his bro when i did not speak nicely to him next time. they really have superb memories!
so my advice to the mummies here with more than a kid, esp very little ones, do let them build up good relationship with one another.. they can learn alot from each other..

hi momto3 and scrumpee
i think he improves alot too. but when it comes to new environment and routine, i believe he would have a much more difficult time to adjust. when compared to normal kids. he is much less matured and sensible in his thinking.. so we are worried about bullying and his ability to handle academics when goes to P1...

Tam,

Oic, you have done so much for him.... may I know if he is already verbal when you realises he is in the spectrum ? my son doesnt hv spontaneous speech.....
sad.gif

Dear Mummies,

Can I check when we mentioned 'non-verbal', are we saying that they do not make any sound or no words? I guess if they babble, we consider that as 'non-verbal' right?

Also, when they said some words spontaneously but refused to repeat when you ask them again. How do we know that they understand the word? My DS said 'Mama', 'A-pa' when he is playing but when you asked him to repeat in front of us, he refused. Hence, I have no idea if he really understand the words. Sigh.....

hi momto3
yes he was verbal at 3. but not using it spontaneously. hence the ST at NUH CDU really helped him alot. once we got the technique from there, we practise at home and he improve alot after that.. eg when they were playing bubbles which my boy enjoy so much, the therapist will give him chance and time to say 'blow the bubbles'. is every little thing that he want to do, just give hint (eg therapist will show her mouth as if she is going to say out 'bblow.. ') and wait and will only do it after he says it out..

Back