Anyone has a autistic child?

Hi

Not sure is this thread still alive. Just wondering what happened to your kids now? (those posted back since 2007). How are they now? Coping well in mainstream or special Sch? Are they less "autistic" with all the intervention help and also being older now (more mature)?

Read many threads on their kids when they ve issues At abt preschool age, but rarely ppl mention abt them When they get older... Jus wondering what kind of future lies ahead of them.

Thanks

Rgds

Hi

Im also keen to know how your children are doing now.

I have a 4yr old suspected to have autism. Currently attending eipic. I pulled him out of pcf nursery coz he was behaving badly and pushing friends til other parents complained. Took him out on my own initiative coz i dont think i'll be able to take it if the sch asks him to leave instead. Now waiting for ICCP to take him in if he qualifies.

I will really appreciate if anyone here can keep sharing your experiences coz i am still not coping well in accepting the fact that my child is autistic.

Itmust been difficult and painful bulet pray for the best! My nephew is doing fairly well I pathlight. Every childis a hidden treasure..but I take comfort in God and I goggle n the web findinggod in autism helps a lot. Dun lose hope!

Hi Pink daisy...
Inititally my son also behaved badly in cc, even like to scratch his peer!The principal warned us b4...i was heart broken when i knew it..
i sent my son to k4k special school...it seems improved..mayb u can consider send him there while waiting for ICCP?

Hi everyone,

just some sharing: my cousin is an autistic boy and he is 11yrs old now. He was then at Montessori pre school when the educator suspected that he might be autistic, it was devastating and unacceptable for my aunt. They first observed that he could not be settled down and mingle with other children, he would just run off to a corner and play by himself. He would cry and throw tantrums if we force him to fit in. At around kindergarten age, he still could not speak and form sentences and imitates other people talking too.He is extremely loyal to something which he loves. It is very hard to break that cycle. He can eat the same type of food for the whole day and every day; for him he loves roasted chicken rice. He is now more adapted to other types of food. He is 11yrs old now, and he is capable of coming back to home after the school bus drops him and he is able to press the lift button to the correct storey without fail. He is able to wash his own plate after meals, wears his own shirts and shoes. He loves bear hugs and would squeeze you real tight as he is very strong. We find that he has a good memory for roads. When he was about 7yrs old, he ran away from home a few times. He went to Lot One by himself, and it was 30mins walk from his home. At my old place in woodlands, he was found at causeway point, also about 30mns walk from my place. It was the police we called us.He also has a soft spot for young children and would try to comfort them and say" dont cry, no, dont cry...shhh". It was really a lovely scene.

Watching him grow and being capable of doing things which we thought might be beyond him is indeed a fulfilling part that he plays in our lives. Sometimes we were too overprotective and hence we did not allow him to do certain things by himself, so we always thought he could not do it. But as we give him more room to become independent and do things by himself gradually, we could see he has improved a lot and we realized he has plenty of potential.

there is hope!!! i am so comforted by my colleague's sharing..

Her brother cant survive in singapore he is a "failure" here.. he was always running n on the move n cant get along with other kids when young n they dunno until he is older that he is Asperger but he can open the computer and fix the i nside... but he cant talk well and fail his chinese n even ended up in em3 and normal tech..so their parents sent him to community college in US and he just studied maths and computer n he did so well and well to University of washington in seatle and then master in stanford on schloarship!!! n now works for Goggle n dun talk to much to anyone n just did very good job .. n his colleagues are just like him!!! so he finds his perfect job!

he was offered to study in Harvard even but he turned them down cos he felt Stanford btr in computer science!!! if he is in singapore education system he will be a FAILURE cos he cant pass his language n only can study maths n computer sci which is his strength.

Let pray our kids will turn up well..every child is a hidden treasure with their potential..what we can do as parents is to show them the way and yes provide for them and pray that their strength will surface and they will live an independent fruitful lives!!

let's not give up hope!!!

imagine in primary a child need to be graded for show n tell.. oral exams etc.. so a bit hard... but alternatively we can either homeschool them r sendto international sch or private school like victory christian centre or move abroad..

friend's brother likes US cos he enjoys his job n the space..

I pray the Singapore education system will change n if a child cant do well in language they can still excel in other areas...inagine if colleagues bro in Singapore maybe he might ve in ite or poly...but how many can made it to ivy league universities.. He is only in his late 20 or 30 now..

Hello teo pei fang (peifang86) , pink daisy (pink_daisy) and newmummy08,

Was reading your posts while trying to get answers regarding children who can't fit in the normal CCs. My 2 y-o boy is developing slower than his peers as he was born pre-mature. Just 2nd day into orientation at a CC, the P already suggested that we send him to a Montessori school. My boy is not able to sit still for long and is always wondering about in the classroom. The teachers can't give him attention at the expense of others. The P frankly told me on day 4 (today) that they are just housing him. We have to look for another school for him. I feel so desperate! Just 4 days and they expect a 2 y-o to behave like children who grew up in a CC since infantcare. Now they are chasing my boy away. Is there any CCs that accept kids who are not-so-normal? Currently my boy is also attending EIPIC 3x a week.

Dear good try (coping) ,
Thank you very much for your tips. I have gone to the website. Feel so happy to know that there are indeed such CCs ard. Will talk to the social workers at the EIPIC centre for referal.

Dear all, I'm new here. Just to share my experience. We noticed our boy was different at 2 years old. Not talking, poor motor skills and lack of social interaction. We started OT and followed by intensive ABA at 2.5 yrs old. At 3.5 years, my boy was diagnosed as autistic. The acceptance stage was difficult and painful. But we have accepted the fact that this is a marathon. For the past 3 years, we tried many different therapies and invested lots of time, money and energy. Today, he is still lagging far behind his peers. But we have no regrets for what we have done. We should not compare a child with another child. We should compare his past and present. Did he improve? If so, give yourself a pat and strive on. With love and patience, they will blossom.

Thanks Fluffy for sharing and encouragement. I have to stop working to take care of my boy. No regrets that can spend quality time with him, watching him reaching each milestone, though slow. I still find myself the best person to look after him. But I am now expecting, so taking care of my boy becomes very tiring. I need to send him to a childcare centre so that I can have more rest time and also he can play with children of his age. Too bad the childcare centre is not willing to accept children like mine. Singapore is too into academic. The CCs are just preparing the children to the sch system. There is hardly any play time indoor or outdoor at the CC. MCYS should do more to help us parents. But nevertheless, we as the main caregiver should strive on. Jia you to you Fluffy too!

hi all,

So nice to know that this link is still alive. Maybe those parents....u can try to look for a child care centre who are willing to accept of ASD kids....but not all the centre are willing to do so....if have but the fee will be high...but at times, it is no choice just like me...

cindy chin,

U also have to jia you....good to have another kid as our ASD kid will be different to have another sibling to play with....he/she no longer lonely.

Hi, you can also give KKH a call and check with them as they have this program called 'I'm Possible' where they train mainstream CC and Kindy teachers to handle kids like ours with additional needs. Perhaps they can give you a list of schools they have worked with.

It is also useful to have a meeting with the mainstream school teachers and Principal as well as your child's therapist/special school teachers, for them to share the key issues that your child is facing, some common techniques they will use to overcome them, and even to align the teaching. Most special schools will be very ready to help, and if the mainstream school is one with 'heart', so will they
happy.gif

Hello
perhaps you may be able to find some useful information through this website:
www.specialkidsclinic.com.sg and the FB page through the homepage.
There will be some information on centres as well as answers to some of the queries on this thread.

Every child has potential to improve and it is important to provide intervention as early as possible in order to optimize their potential. Intervention needs will also change with the age.
Hope is indeed a powerful motivator and as parents, you are the most important therapist and the most valuable advocator for your child.

Dear All....

I am really glad to read all your posts...

My boy 3.5 yrs was diagnosed ASD in early Aug 2012, still waiting for EIPIC..
He went thru OT sessions since(june 2012) & Speech therapy sessions since (Mar 2012)

since May 2012 (I stopped working, chose to take care of him & hope to give him as much as I could... knowing he have some issues we are concern.
And I can see his progress since May till now (during this period, especially from the OT approach & strategies which I learn & practice with him)

(From October 2011 till April 2012 - he with CC)
Indeed I felt very upset & disappointed with the childcare PCF Litte Wings teachers & principal.
They feel he do not listen to instruction, speech delay & his tantrums on the floor.
He is out of their group... that's the reason I withdrawn him, knowing he is loittering whole day at school & he did not progress in any form, seems unhealthy for him.
I know I should not expect 1 to 1 attention but at least let me feel the support, patience for my child rather than saying him this & that. I told the principal I am not worried about his academic yet, I am hoping to see his exposure & interaction with others.

They did not even bother to toilet train him when he was in CC. But when early May, I was his main caregiver, I thought it will be difficult to toilet train him as he cannot speech.. but I tried & he was a fast learner to my surprise..within 2 weeks.. he said "shee shee" looking to my eyes... I was very happy...

I am looking for other support groups to keep myself going.... really weary...energy drained...

Children with special needs are not advisable to go to normal school. In fact I don't think it is good for them as it will worsen their conditions in my opinion. If that CC you send your child to don't have the staff capable to provide the care for your child, you shouldn't have sent him there as he will be alienated (which is my opinion is worse for him).

My cousin is a child who is autistic. His parents refused to accept the fact and kept sending him to normal govt school. His condition got worse as the teachers and his friends aren't very understanding about the way he behaved. They finally switched to a school who specialized in autistic children and I can say that after so many years (He's 21 now), he can be considered normal since he now interacts with people all by himself and is earning his own living.

You did the right thing in withdrawing him.
I understand it is very tiring to take care of a child with special needs so hang in there. You'll definitely find the support you need if you go out more with your child.

Dear Grace..

Thank you so much for the post. Really appreciate it very much.

I sent him there initially before he was referred as ASD.. (hoping him to mingle more & exposure with peers & interaction)
which I was monitoring him closely from teachers observations but after 6 months.. he did not progress.... really feel unhealthy for him... feel heart pain.. whenever think about that period... I will still cry... still remember he will close the door while crying very upset ...letting me go... knowing that I will leave for work...

Fayina,I'm so glad you pulled him out of mainstream too. My boy is 3.5 yrs too, ASD diagnosis was made last year. We have spoken to many therapists, and they all say the same thing - kids with a parent at home actively working with them make good progress. You are doing the right thing with your son. With my boy, my initial reaction was to want to leave the therapy to the professionals, but I soon realised that we are the experts when it comes to our own kids. He responds well to me when we do therapy together.My son shut down when he was in mainstream too, even though the teachers were caring, they didn't know how to deal with him, and he knew he was different from the rest, so he just widthrew. Now in special sch, he is much more outgoing and confident.Hang in there. It gets better!

Hi, I have a 3 yr old son who been diagnosed as ASD. Im currently struggling between work and his home training.
I am looking for a full day nursery for ASD children, currently i only know Rainbow.
Is there other nursery that we have? thanks for sharing.

Hi all,

This is my first post!=) Just wanna be around to let U all u are not alone.

I am a special education teacher and have been with the special community for 17 years now.. if U want honest opinions, will be here to share to the best of my knowledge!;p

Those looking for CC for your child with special needs, please do a thorough research before enrolling coz some centres may just be putting up a false front! so yep, be more wary..

hi mummies,new here.my 20 mths old boy cant speak,has poor social skills with kids n motor skills not as good too.but he is sucha a adorable n bubbly boy.We are very concerned n just started ABA for him at wee care.Just went for the next step workshop at hhn n was told abt the private eipic.I visted dynamics at forum n is now thinking whether to enrol for class.anyine has feedback on dynamics?before cel call i will hv to visit the various centres.Im looking at AWWA can any mummies share more info with me?
Both daddy and i are in education we know how mainstream function and we really want the best for our little one.hope to find support and resources from all of you.

Hi mummies,

Am kind of desperate so I decided to google a support group n this came up.

My son is 22 months, not talking n attending speech therapy at KK. Now they want him to start going for OT as well. He's not diagnosed yet but I can see they are leaning towards that. He's bubbly, plays hide n seek, peek a boo, will points n gesture if he wants something, n even run n hug you. But he doesn't talk or hold eye contact.

I'm not sure what class to send him to and how much it will cost. If any of you can let me know the rough prices n which schools are good ... Please let me know.

Thanks mummies,
happy.gif

Hi vicxen,

Let your son attend OT first and see how he is after that?He may be reaching his milestone slightly slower than his peers; so may not necessarily be asd.

But as I've mentioned in e previous post,U can try early intervention programme at Rainbow or Pathlight school (maybe get a referral letter from social worker at KKH). Not too sure of the fees though.

There's a childcare at Punggol called Little Mighty Me which accepts children with special needs for their pre-school programmes. Director is an experienced sped teacher,maybe can find out more from them?
happy.gif

hi Vicxen,

did they tell you why he needs an OT? Also sounds like your child is quite sociable so thats great! eye contact and speech requires a lot of practice but it definitely can be achieved! and early intervention is always crucial. try ABA. its the only form of therapy that is scientifically proven to help autistic children make steps to recovery. although your child is not diagnosed yet ( and may not have autism) he does exhibit some autism traits which ABA can help to improve.

hope this helps!

My cousin is autistic and she is 27 now. Moving to Australia helps her alot since she is better accepted here. The education system in Singapore was difficult for her then, just barely got through PSLE, didn't pass everything in N levels. Hence, had to move her to special schools in Australia for autistic children since it was doubtful that she will make it through ITE. Helping her learn to socialize normally and learning to be independent is very important. Even with rich parents, they will not be around forever to cook, wash and earn a living for an autistic child. Alot of patience is required and after all these years, she is able to cook, wash and do chores around the house. The only hurdle yet to overcome is getting a job. I am sure she will get there someday. So parents, hang in there!

Hi all

I have a kid on the spectrum and has helped my relative to purchase books. But upon purchase, he cancelled on me. Now I have brand new books on hand which I purchased from amazon. Letting go at cost (ie amazon price + shipping). If you are interested, they are as follows (indicated Kinokuniya pricing for reference only):-

1) It takes Two to Talk by Jan Pepper and El;aine Weitzman (S$80) Kino: S$166.73

2) The Social Skills Picture Book (Teaching Play, Emotion, and Communication to Children with Autism) by Jed Baker, PHD (S$40)
Kino:S$66.55

3) Early Intervention Games by Barbara Sher (S$20) Kino: S$27.28

4) The Out-of-Sync Child has fun: Activities for Kids with Sensory Processing Disorder by Carol Stock Kranowitz, MA (S$20) Kino S$26.69

5) Raising a Sensory Smart Child: The Definitive Handbook for Helping Your Child with Sensory Processing Issues by Lindsey Biel and Nancy Peske(S$20) Kino: S$27.89

If you are interested to browse and I'm not letting go these ones as I still need them, my 'library' also include: "More than Words" and "Talkability" (both by Fern Sussman).

Tks. Feel free to pm or for faster response sms me (98006782).

Hi mommies

May I ask what the difference is between having speech and occupational therapy at a child development centre (eg. KKH/Olive Tree) and having EIPIC at the EIPIC centres? Do they do essentially the same things or is it different?

I have an 18 month old who is having some speech and motor delay (and may be autistic) and I am just about to start occupational and speech therapy at Olive Tree Development Centre. Found out about EIPIC centres online but wonder what the difference might be?

Many thanks in advance!

Price is the big difference..in epic hv social wkr some pay nominal amt.epic speech abt 30 min n two in a class..pte is usually 1-1 and ot usually grp session.hopes it helps

hi kirsch

ds attended eipic at arc and OT at nuh cdu. so i can roughly tell u the diff:
eipic: more intensive (10 hrs per week); more areas; of coz more value for money...
ot: once per week n $100-$150 per hour....

hence eipic covers more areas. arc does not cover ot; cos we got to look for pte ot (once enrolled into eipic; cannot attend subsidised OT at nuh)

diff obj:
eipic: curriculum include self regulation (correct anger mgmt,choice making, transition), independence (eg follow schedule; work system), social skills (eye contact, turn taking, circle time etc)

ot: helping with sensorial disintegration; short attention span etc

Hi Kirsch!

I agree, EIPIC is more worth it coz they are more thorough and cover more aspects,not to mention e fees as well!

actually some of the activities for speech and ot can also be done at home!
happy.gif
sucking activities (using big and small straws, lifting up pieces of paper using e straw etc), blowing bubbles and paint, dabbing e mouth area first.using a cloth dipped in ice water and then cloth in warm.water>> more awareness of the.muscles arnd his mouth for ur child¡=)

On a separate note, there's a childcare centre in Punggol that caters to children with special needs/learning difficulties..think they are fairly new: Little Mighty Me =)

But if they can make it compulsory education and cheaper for parents .why subject us for mean testing? Mainstream kids all pay same fees in primary school. We must fight for more help for our kids!

Hi everyone,

My 5 yr boy is autistic and my soon to be 3 yr old boy is very likely to be autistic too. I hope to get more info on Pathlight and ARC EIPIC. If any parents can give me your views on these places, I'll be very grateful.

Thank you

Hi everyone,

I had a 4yrs old son who is autistic. He is attending EIPIC and he is doing very well there. My main concern for my son is his speech. After attending EIPIC, he can speak more words now.

My son is 5 going 6 this yr. he's attending eipic in the afternoon 2x a wk n mainstream in am.. I'm looking for Sch again for his mainstream, but a integrated ones r v costly.. I wonder what other alternative do I ve left.. Plus his eipic help will end next yr when he reach 7. I'm lost at where he can go next. The chances of him goin path light is slim.

Hi All,

I recently started with Animal Assisted Therapy for my son.

I have to say, i was skeptical at first but the therapist explained to me the tasks and the underlining skill mechanisms behind them.

In 3 sessions, my son who is terrified of dogs, has come to be able to pet various parts of the dog, do lead exercises and also vocalise his actions.

The confidence building exercises, role playing and speech has shown progress in such a short time and i'm very excited.

The benefits of animal assisted therapy is picking up in the USA but not much here.

The therapist comes with a handler and the 2 of them have build a good relationship with my son.

Just wanted to share

i have a primary 5 son who is doing a research study on the topic "what are the concerns of parents with special need children in singapore havr regarding the transition from preschool to primary school". He hopes to be a voice to MOE to incorporate programs in mainstream schools for special need students. He hopes that through this research prepare themselves and allievate any concerns parents might have if any special need child ever joins the school. Schools would also have a better understanding on how to take care of these students well. Here is the link for you to fill up thr survey:https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1ynZBgh3qWCgDmJB1n5CB3IjvfGwXB1xVB9DpBvPf_4s/viewform

Hope that you would set aside time to answer the survey. Thanks a lot for your time.

in USA, they have professional shadows (caregivers)who follow the child in school. i will be doing that for my son when he is due for pri 1. some school do allow. my gal in Peichun and i saw there is this boy who has a maid to shadow him. for me, i will do it myself and try to blend him in slowly so that i can let go when time comes. if he still can't adapt to school, i will home school him, which is what i am doing currently. i am sick and tired of the local education system. rush rush for normal children, even special needs also want to rush.
vanessa, you can also try pathlight.

Can I check did u manage to find a school which allow parent to shadow?

Back