Anybody had low Placenta but able to deliever bb safety?

yoyo123

Hi Im a Oct MTB, this is my first pregnancy and yesterday I got my detail scanning result from my gynae. Everytik are fine except that my placenta are low. My gynae said had to observe first maybe will move higher by itself. He didnt said much able the good n bad to have this condition but Im worry...

Did anyone had this problem before but still manage to have safe delivery? Any things I have to avoid?

dear yoyo,i'm also a oct mtb,..also did my scannin last fri and everything is fine except that my anterior placenta is low...the nurse and gynae (not my gynae) also says the same thing, will move higher as the baby grows... so ask me not to worry... my scanning was done at SSR with Prof C Anandakumar (very exp. guy)...now have to wait for my next appt on next thurs to see my gynae and see wat he says...

i have also done some read up abt this, but not too worry too much...just some info.. initially, was quite worried abt it when Dr Anandakumar told me..but he mentioned it's ok, so trust his profession loh..at the end of the day, we shld trust their professions ya!
happy.gif
happy.gif

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/complications/aplacentapraevia/

dear yoyo
I am a oct mtb too. mine managed to move up already. At the mean time, dont squart, dont carry heavy loads

oh yah, yoyo...most imptantly, dun carry heavy things and avoid vigorous exercise and take life easy...talk to ur hubby or close ones abt your anxiety, u will feel better... when my HB saw me abit worried last wkend, he encourages and supported me very well...guess, we do need that assurance from them sometimes...
happy.gif

anyway, i will update u again when i see my gynae next thurs ya...

dear doggies mummy, u mention dun squat...
my bed is the platform type....shld this be avoided too? actually, i did tot abt this matter before, and was not sure..mayb i shld start shiftin to my other room and sleep on a higher bed...actually, my mum was very discouraging for me to have a plaform bed, saying next time hard to get up...

bB~GchELC & doggies mummy,

Thank u to ur advise. After seeing ur prompt reply I feel safer liao. Ya I shld trust my gynae's profession.

ok I will try to rest n relax more...

hi, yoyo,
my sil got low placenta, doc asked her to eat more so that bb will grow bigger and help "push" the placenta upwards.

she gave birth naturally, now her bb 14 mths, so pls don't worry and enjoy yr pregnancy. cheers!
happy.gif

Wow really glad to voice out my worry here. At least now I feel better after seeing positive reply.
Thank you all.

dun worry so much.. I had low placenta for my 1st pregnancy.. It moves up when my baby grew bigger.. I delivered naturally as well.

My friend had low placenta until 1 week before her EDD. Doc scheduled her for C Section. She safely delivered a healthy baby gal. No problems if placenta does not move up, not to worry.
happy.gif

My placenta was low, all the way to delivery.

Like all the others said, just rest more and don't carry heavy things (including hanging of clothes ... accordingly to my family doctor).

I had a happy 3yo now ... don't worry too much and enjoy your preggy days ...

Hi i am a july mtb, detected low placenta covering the cervix during 20mth scan...

Dr ensure that 90% will move up, if not then opt for cerasian.

Now at 35wk, placenta move up liao, can go for natural birth.

So dont worry too much, rest well ,dont carry heavy stuff n try not to fly on plane.

Re: Low placenta

I was detected having a low placenta when I was in my 20 weeks and gynae suggest had to go c-section if it did not move up. After few weeks, I had spotting and following tat, I was bleeding non stop. Was admitted to hospital and rest in bed. No shopping, walking etc. Was so worry abt the bb. But lucky, my bb was fine and I delivered naturally. Btw, my boi was birth at 34th weeks and weighing only 2.22kg. But now at 7 mths, he look very cute and chubby so dun worry.

Be positive and try to rest more in bed and dun walk too much.

hi all esp zita and summer,

thanks for your sharing indeed as i was just detected having a low placenta (right at my cervix) just 2 weeks back and had a frightful bleed last week. (am in my 21 weeks now). wish to find out how did you cope with it and how did you managed to "hold" it till almost full term. Am worried if i can do so... thanks!

Hope all mummies with low placenta to REALLY take good care as pregnancy progresses.
Just to share my experience...

I was diagnosed with placenta previa major, ie, full coverage of the birth canal throughout 2nd trimester & gynae had even scheduled for early C-sect at week 34 if necessary. At week 29, I started bleeding non-stop one night & was rushed to hospital. Gynae found waterbag to be leaking as well due to mild contractions. So emergency C-sect was done to deliver baby. The greatest worry then was whether baby can survive. As for myself, I've lost more than 50% of blood & needed transfusion during the op.

Thank goodness, all's well now. Baby son was a real fighter and will be turning one at the end of the month.

oh mine.. thanks for sharing Yvonne. Glad to know that you and your baby made it through!
besides resting more and minimize movements, are there ways to prevent contractions? think that's really a worry.

Hi Care3,

It was my 1st pregnancy & had a very sensitive uterus, experienced frequent cramps and stretched feelings from start of pregnancy. Naturally thought it was due to expansion of uterus and never crossed my mind it could be mild contractions.

Contractions can be subdued through medication, like in the case of premature labour. On our part, it's best to lie down & relax whenever possible, esp in 3rd trimester.

Just that afternoon, I had to sit through a almost 2 hours meeting so placenta might "suffered" as a result.

It's still best to do everything in moderation.

Thanks for your advice indeed. Seems like sitting too long als not very good... It's going to be tough esp for us working MTB... how to lie down in office? :)

i was told that i have low placenta and due for C sect (my previous 2 bb oso thru C sect)this thurs, my doc said if the placenta sticks to my wound, and bleeding non stop then I will have to remove my womb...hope everything will be fine...This cond is known as Placenta Accreta

low placenta, not necessary end up c-section, only if the placenta block the cancel of the delivery then had to go for c-section if there is no blockage, still can delivery naturally....

this information is given by my gyn, noramlly when ur due date is nearly and the placenta din manage to move up, then the gyn will suggest for another scan to ensure the planceta is not blocking the delivery canal..

so at the mean time, rest, not squatting....

Hi there,

Just to share a girlfriend of mine who have low placenta just went thru a normal delivery - both mummy and baby is healthy.

Thou during her first stage she has to stay in bed for almost one month.

I have delivered safely, womb was not removed...but the uterus did not contract back as fast as normal, so bleeding was heavier than usual, My gynae had actually had my hubby to massaged my uterus from 4 pm to 11pm, my ke lian de hubby massage till his hands so tiring...

anyone of your gynae prescribed you with ventolin to relax the uterus? supposed to delay labour for those with placenta previa condition. but not sure whether its safe to take, especially if i have not experienced any symptoms, except that the detailed scan shows a low placenta

bian2
my 1st detailed scan showed placenta previa. 2nd detailed scan still showed low-lying placenta so my gynae prescribed ventolin at around wk 24 when placenta still didn't move up. thankfully, there was no bleeding or anything, and i continued to work up to a week before my scheduled c-section at wk 38, and stopped taking ventolin just before surgery.

michelle
that's good news indeed
happy.gif

Hi missmoon,

Does that means your placenta did not move up throughout the preg. My doc also detect pp during my second check but he says most of the time the placenta will move up. But still I am worried.

hi ice queen
yes, becos of this, i was seeing gynae every wk since detecting this condition. while it didn't cover the birth canal, it was lying just beside it. my gynae fr old school, believed in not taking chances, so went for elective c-sect.

most of the time, placenta will move up as u progress further along in the pregnancy. i am one of the unfortunate ones that didn't move up much.

i would say dun worry too much about it now, there's still a good chance it'll shift up. how far along are you now?

I had a low placenta plus 2 cysts when I was carrying my son. He is now 3YO.

At that time, the dr even said I might have to go through an op to get rid of the cysts but thankfully, they kindda disappeared on their own.

As for the low placenta, so long as it doesn't reach and/or? cover the cervix, you should be able to have a normal delivery, which i did.

Have heard from my massage lady that pre-natal massage might be able to help push it up?

Hope this helps.

Im in my 19 weeks . I was told tat my placenta is on low side when i went for check up yesterday . Just wan to ask any mums with low placenta and still workin . Cos i've been gettin advises to rest more and avoid heavy things . Im workin in childcare so i was thinkin will my work affect my condition .

I used to move ard giving tuition then. Dr had advised bedrest, but unfortunately, we needed the cash back then so no chance of that.

I was just more careful, not jumping ard (like i do now carrying no.3, currently 22wks) and walking a little slower.

In short, be careful.

hi carolyn
i had low-lying placenta and doc advised me to have bed rest in my last trimester, when i was about 32 wks. i was working right up till i was about due at 37+ wks. but it's true that u'll hv to avoid lifting or carrying heavy things. i was still walking and climbing stairs quite a bit and thankfully there was no bleeding at all. u're still in ur 2nd tri, so there's still a high chance that ur placenta will move up as u grow bigger
happy.gif

hi missmoon

thanks for the advice! i've been taking the ventolin since then, gynae also said that i have to go for c-section at around week 37 or if possible, week 38 depending on my condition. still hoping for placenta to move up though
happy.gif

Hi mummies,

I'm also one of them with low placenta. Currently at week 27. On week 24, I had bleeding and was ordered total bedrest in hospital for 4 days, thereafter given one month rest at home. Now still resting. Not sure if I can get back to work as gynae warned tat the bleeding will get more serious and seems like still have a long way to go. I was also given ventolin but have stopped taking it.

Mummy who has gone thr, how do you overcome it? I was so frightened when I see red during week 24. I did experience contraction before tat.

I also try to rest more but if going back to work will be tough going, if not going back afraid might lose job...cos that would mean disappearing from work for whole 6 months.

What else shld we avoid besides squatting?

Thanks mummies!!

hi bian2
me too, i was on ventolin right up to 38 wks, since gynae discovered low placenta in detailed scanning. i'm sure ur placenta will move up as bb grows
happy.gif

hi luv mum
i think u just hv to be really careful, walk slowly and avoid hectic lifestyle, esp at work. that's wat my gynae advised me, dun rush from plc to plc, take things slowly. i was told not to walk up and down stairs too much but i was still doing that lah. and gynae also said, the moment i see stains, go back see him immediately. and when pooing, dun "gek" too much. u stopped taking ventolin on doc's advice?

Hi missmoon.

Tks for the kind advice. Nope actually I stop on my own. After discharge from hospi, I took for another 2 days and decided to stop. Gynae prescribe to me becos I feel tightening on my uterus during my hospi stay. Once I stop feeling tat way, I stop taking ventolin too. I'm trying not to take so many med as i was down with a bad cold infection for a week and have been taking a lot of med.

So u went thr csect eventually?

hi luv mum
no problem
happy.gif
i can understand about the meds part...i hope your condition will improve soon
happy.gif
do you know wat grade your placenta previa is?

yes, i went thru c-sect at 38 wks. my gynae is from old school and not willing to take any chances, no matter how small the risk is, and he's prepared me for c-sect since late 2nd tri. so eventually, at my 2nd detailed scan, gynae confirmed placenta still hasn't moved up much and not likely to move up any further.

Hi gals,

Just wanna to say it is very encouraging to see all the positive words. During my detailed scan at 20 weeks, I was also detected with low placenta and it really worries me. Now, at week 23 (just had a little ops), the placenta is still at the same position. Mu gynac assures me that 95% pregnant woman with this condition will have their placenta move up by week 30. Just dun worry and enjoy the pregnancy ya. Dun carry heavt stuff. Btw, just wanna to ask...my belly is showing but low...dun know if anyone experience this also IF we have low placenta...just thinking if it could be link. Care to share?

dear mummies
most placentas will move up on their own after 5th month, hence by the 2nd detail scanning-around 8th month, the placenta should be at a higher position.

both of my pregnancies' plancentas started low, but eventually moved up.

Yes, agree with Shannen..

My prevoius pregnancy was of a low placenta.. Spotting since 26 weeks and in and out of hospital many times..

Delivered natural 5 days past EDD..
happy.gif

my detailed report states placenta: anterior, slightly low ... what does this mean?? gynae read through the report and told us that everything is normal and fine... but why i read this thread is like low placenta no good..

so should i avoid squatting, sitting on floor and carrying heavy loads too??

howblur
my previous pregnancy, the results also showed slightly low. but on 2nd detailed scan, it moved up.
now, my 2nd pregnancy, it indicates low placenta. i really hope that it will move up in later stage.

ladies
sitting on flr also disallowed for low placenta problem? for me, it's a bit difficult, 'cos i need to attend to my gal and sitting on the flr with her it's usually a norm.....

Hi mummies,
I hv a boy 4yrs & my ger 2yrs, only experience low placenta during my current 3rd pregnancy. I had a sudden gush of fresh blood like mense during my 12wks, was warded for 2days then patch of brown stain during my 14wks & was given 1wk mc for bed rest at hme now. This is the 1st time I am experiencing low placenta preg & I am very worried & paranoid as I still hv a long way to go cos currently only 14th wks. :-(

Hi Jersherm,

I also experience alot of spotting during my pregnancy and was forced to stop working completely since my 26th weeks. Was tols by my gynae that i am having a mid low placenta even until my 34th week. Finally when i was due to be admitted into the hospital for induction on my 37th week, the placenta have already moved up, hence i can go thru a normal delivery instead of C section.

So dun worry, your placenta will most likely move up towards your EDD.

Good luck & hoping u have a smooth delivery!!!

hihi... i will due in Aug 2009... with my 2nd bb gal.. now in my 20th weeks.. just did my detail scan yesterday and my placenta is covering my cervix... which makes me bery sad now...

Is there anything that i can do to help the placentas move?.. I asked my doctor last night he say there is nothing i can do to help.. i feel so helpless and useless....He say just hope for the placentas to move up on its own... he say can't say for sure will move up or not... quite demoralising words.. but maybe its really true....

Can experienced mum with the same condition as mine share your experience? Thanks

hi

audrey, so ur placenta moved up around your 37th week?

shopaholicmanic, so did ur placenta move up in the end? did u do natural vagina birth or C-sect?

Back