Any pregnant mum with weird taste in mouth?

eveee

Hi,
I've been having strange taste in my mouth. In particular, food tends to leave a very bitter or soury after taste in my mouth. Does ayone share the same symptons? What do you do to get rid of the horrible taste?

Thanks

i am still experiencing it! and like you... i hate it. i got it during the first trimester... then it went away and now that i am in my last trimester, the taste came back.
to counter this, i have developed a preference for strong flavoured food. i dont think it will get rid of the horrid metalic taste... but puts it out for a while.

I usually make myself a diluted cup of lipton tea (without sugar) after the meal. It helps a little.

me too ! I thot i was the only strange one. everytime after meal, there's be a after taste and i really hate it. make me feel like puking sometimes. even brushing my teeth don't help. sometimes i gurgle with mouthwash. slightly better.

Hi all,
I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only 1 as many books did not mention this as a sympton ofpregnancy. This horrid taste was in fact the first sign for me but then, I didn't realise I'm pregnant. I thought I had gastric problem..haha

I am still in my 1st Trimester & am looking forward to the end of it

Tuffy,
I thought we should avoid tea especially during the 1st Trimester?
Am craving for tea but am waiting for 2nd Trimester to start drinking it

Shane,
Exactly! My vomitting is due more to the horrid after taste than because I am nausea. Also, dunno why brushing my teeth in the morning or at nite also makes me want to puke.

i get the vomitty feeling whenever i brush my teeth too. so i also rinse and gurgle my mouth before the brush goes in. i also put a lot of toothpaste now to cover the taste.

Hi ladies, yes it's medically documented that pregnant women get this strange after taste in their mouth. it's supposed to go away after a while. for myself, i sucked on lemony sweets to help get rid of the taste. just make sure u dun buy sugar free sweets as they contain aspartame which is harmful to brain development.

Hi friesbandit,

O dear ... I've been taking sugar free sweets ... help?
Do u know where i can read up more on this?

*worried*

Hi LSM,

I think a cup a day should be ok. Gynae gave the ok.
happy.gif

Hi ladies,

happened to read this thread, i am experiencing the same thing!!! I felt like so bitter and tasteless when i am not eating anything.

i got this nausea feeling too. Could it be the taste in the mouth? Though i don't actually puke, but the feeling is like after effect of a roller coaster ride, everyday......

Is all this going to end after 1st trimester??

I do take tea/coffee, the gynae says its ok to take a cup per day, though i took it once or 2 a week only.

Hi reenie,

It does get better. For me, I still get the funny taste sometimes - but it is not as intense as it is in the first tri. So hang in there! Which week are you in now?

Hi friesbandit,
Thanks for the information. I've stopped taking ricola pearl sweets & will stop for a long time.

Hi shook,
I still have the wierd taste in my mouth, though I'm already in my 2nd trimester. Guess... it's natural lah
happy.gif

hi,

i remember i had dat metallic taste too during my 1st trimester & cldn't drink plain water at all cos it made me wanna puke!! gynae recommended to drink flavoured glucose or ribena water & it helped.

during ur pregnancy, ur sense of taste & smell will be much stronger. i used to argue with my hubby that the calcium tablets i had to take smell really bad while he said he couldn't smell anything. after i gave birth, i noticed that i couldn't smell it either.

I'm experiencing the weird taste now too and it's horrible. I used to like drinking alot of plain water, but now drinking it makes me want to puke too, as it makes the weird taste even more noticeable.

I drink juices and carbonated drinks to cover up the taste and eat jelly.

Any other remedies?

Happened to me during my 1st trimester too, me look green all the time in office, can neither eat or drink properly then.
Gynae told me to try fresh lemon.

What I did is: have 1 slice of fresh-cut lemon in a jug of hot water and let the lemon soak in the jug throughout the entire day.
I drank nothing but this jug of lemon water during those days.
The soft citrus taste really help to drive away the nausea feeling and somewhat even help me to past motion too (I guess it's the water soluble fibre from the lemon).
But if you tend to have gastric problem then must remember to snack constantly 'cos excessive acid can induce gastritis attacks.

For me, worst. Due to the taste, I had no appetite for the 3 trimesters.

But dun worry. Once your bb is out, your taste bud will come back and you'll find that it's such a joy to eat then. Just bear with it.

Hi Stephz,
You mean you got no appetite for the whole 3 trimesters? Actually i am a "big eater" and likes to eat everything before im pregnant. but since im pregnant, i have no appetite to eat anything, the thought of food doesnt make me happy like before.. haha.. thought it will only last after my 1st trimester but now that im starting my 2nd trimester, i still dun hv cravings or good appetite and i am still waiting for it to come.. hehe.. :p

Hi Crispy,
Ya, I can fully understand how you feel cos' me gone thru' that. I often have to force myself to eat, so it has been quite agonising for me during my pregnancy. My hubby also headaches, he rather I have craving then he will know what to buy. The problem is I don't and he really don't know what to buy tho' he don't mind to travel far to buy (if need to).

Actually, during my pregnancy, realised that I like simple food like maggie mee, plain porridge with the AAA brand pickle. Haha, not much nutrients, but better than nothing lah.

Thank God I quite like the food at the Alisan along the Serangoon Rd (going to Kovan Mall direction) and I always eat the steam pompfret, heng chai and steam egg with their sweet potato porridge and follow by the famous selegie soya bean milk further along the road after Alisan.

Maybe you want to try the food there. If not, try eating some simple plain stuff if your taste bud likes it.

Fish is good, so remember to take more. If you can, cook it yourself or get someone to cook for you, usually I paid about $12 for the steam pompfret at Alisan (some say exp lei)- keke at least my hubby is happy (finally she (aka me) has a place to go for dinner).

Drink milk at least if you really have no appetite. Remember you don't eat, your baby will still need to eat.

Like what I say, it will go off once your bb born. You will learn to appreciate food better too cos they have never tasted so delicious before. keke....

Hi Stephz,
I stay around Kovan area and yes i've been to Alisan for their Taiwan porridge and i must say i quite like it as i will feel happy after the meal.
happy.gif
think im like you, likes to eat porridge with those spicy beancurd and canned pickle or chai sim..haha..you'r not alone..
happy.gif

Read from a Chinese newspaper article given by me friend on curbing nausea, vomitting symptoms etc.
1) Sugar cane juice 1 cup (120cc) + 10cc ginger juice.
2) Apple juice (60cc)
3)lemon juice (10cc) + honey (1 tsp) + 100cc water
4)just eat pomegranate ("liu" in hokkien, "you zi" in chinese) 100g

Pardon me, my chinese not good, but I think still can translate the above. Kekeke...

Don't know if the above works, but no harm giving it a try since it is being recommended. Those who try, maybe can feedback, then we'll all know if it works.

Stephz.. i read your info.. btw.. i think pomegranate is shi(2) liu(2) is it? and you(4) zi(3) should be pamelo if i am not wrong.. is 2 different kinds of fruits leh...

anyway.. 1st trimester can eat pamelo?? cooling?? i got this strange taste on my tongue too.. there seems to have a layer of "thing" covering the tongue. think this layer cause the horrible taste... drinking water makes me wanna puke so the taste is real horrible...

Thanks, it's been some time since I post that.

From my post, I shld have copied from a Chinese article, so "you zi" should be the correct one. You are right, you zi is not pomergranate, shld be pomelo (dunno how come I put that in, post labour effect - memory loss? kekeke...)

I think if you are not sure, better try during the 2nd trimester. But I believe everything, so long is in moderation, shld be fine.

It's agonising to have that weird tastebud, it's actually the hormone working in your body that caused it, so just endure or try the above (which I believe shld be able to help in some way). No matter how you dun feel like eating, tell yourslef to nibble something light eg. biscuit, drink milk, you have to think of your baby inside you who still need to be nourished.

Take care.

thanks Stephz.. glad that you replied my post...

btw.. ya, i do try and eat something.. and try all sorts of methods to make myself eat... so i try drinking honey and ribena instead of plain water that makes me puke.. if not i scare my body not enough water... then may fall sick..

Any of u took neurogain/epax to supplement levels of DHA/EPA during preganacy? Beware of the other ingredient in the capsule!! I searched Arachidonic acid in google and found it was actually harmful to pregnant mothers!! I had since returned Epax to my gynea.......beware !!!

liz.. your supplements are from gynae?? then gynae should know what to look out for in the ingredients for pregnant ladies to consume rite... how come not suitable for you still give to you??

I thought i was the only one with bitter tastebud glad i found this thread...me too get bitter taste on my tongue/saliva during my 1st trimester, quite irritating cos i need sweet things in my mouth most of the time..

I bought ricola lemon sweets and skittles but after sweet is eaten i get the tastebud again...i also like to drink coke and other sweet drinks like bandung and ribena..

Yes I experienced it for e 1st 4 mths, after that it went away. This bitter taste is def better than experiencing morning sickness and acid reflux.

Back