Any mummies got pregnant again while still breastfeeding?

jog

Hi,

Any mummies conceived again while still breastfeeding? Although I have read that it is possible to get pregnant while still breastfeeding but my gynae appeared my certain that it is due to my milk producing hormones that is hindering my conceiving #2 efforts.

Thanks Icy_haze. Mind sharing how many years apart are your children and how did you wean them? My boy is 2.5yo and still comfort nursing to sleep and doesn't look ready to stop.

My kids are 5,4 & 2. I didnt really wean them. I just stop when i found out im pregnant. Guess im lucky my #1 & #2 took it well.

Hi pinkylove, yes my period returned about 7 months after I delivered my #1.

Sorry to ask, will you still have period when you are breastfeeding?

Hi pinkylove,

Yes, you will still have period when you are still breastfeeding. My friend in China (Xiamen) gave birth to a baby boy on Halloween Oct 31 last year (2014). She told me that her period has returned (she is now still breastfeeding her son) though it has become very irregular and is very little.

Hi pinkylove,

Yes, you will still have period when you are still breastfeeding. My friend in China (Xiamen) gave birth to a baby boy on Halloween Oct 31 last year (2014). She told me that her period has returned (she is now still breastfeeding her son) though it has become very irregular and is very little.

And my previous boss, one of his daughters was conceived whilst the wife was still breastfeeding too.

Reactions: jog
Same as many here. I conceived #2 and#3 while I was still breastfeeding... When #1 was about 17month old and #2 was also about 17 months old. Gynae advised to stop bf when I got pregnant. Had a hard time converting to formula milk. Gynae said just have to go cold turkey, so I did. They went without milk for 3 weeks before finally accepting FM. My period came back 3 months after childbirth..breastfed exclusively.

Last edited:
Thank you sunshine012 and tryingtoconceive2014 for sharing these positive stories. I hope I get to share my positive story soon too.

Sunshine012, what is your gynae's reason to stop bf when pregnant?

I visited Dr Christopher Chong (gleneagles) when I tested positive for #2. He only said for the best of the foetus, he advised me to stop BF.

I see. Thanks sunshine012. I am sure it was not easy to go cold turkey on your babies then. Must be a lot of tears, fussing and heartache.... I am always impressed by positive weaning stories. I just cannot go through it so I hope my boy will self wean in time to come when I explain to him why he cannot bf anymore.

I think I should update in this thread too that I managed to get my bfp while still night/ sleep nursing my #1. Now a bit at a loss how to get him to stop. Each time I told him mommy milk is gonna spoil already, he gets very upset and refuses to settle to sleep. Besides cold turkey, I wonder if there is gentler way of weaning?

I do conceived again while bf.. so its nt true if anyone said bf can make u conceive.. i bf continuosly for 7yrs.. my first child till 2yrs old.. continued e 2nd bby till 2yrs old.. n followed by e 3rd bby till 3yrs old... hahahah... n now my kiddos is already 12,10,8.. And now im preggy again e 4th bby BOY.. pop in oct....
Hi Diana81, so you bf even while pregnant? If not, how did you wean each time? My nipples are so sore now (8weeks) so I am hoping I can stop but my boy is not cooperative.

Hello, just wondering if the mummies who breastfed while pregnant:
1) how long did you breastfeed?
2) did you stop older one from nursing or he/she self weaned?

I feel a little ache after i breastfeed so am worried. I read online it's actually safe but i have several friends who stopped nursing immediately after they conceive again so am wondering what is the Truth?

I have had a friend that in total breastfed for about 5 years (non-stop). Her babies were born around 18 months apart each, and she was nursing all the time from when #1 was born, #2 conceived-born, #3 conceived-born. When #3 was born, #1 was not very keen on nursing and stopped on her own. So, it can be done. However, my friend was very selective about her diet, eating a lot of high protein diet, fatty fish, fresh fruits and vegetables, etc to make sure that the one she is conceiving and the one she is nursing is getting enough nutrients.

As for some others, their babies automatically refused to nurse because the milk tastes different!

Hi frog, thank you for your prompt response. I feel more relieved. I will watch my diet very strictly from now on then.

Hi! I am still nursing my 22 months old, and am preg with #2. So far gynae didnt stop me but reminded me if I have any complication, we may have to wean. But so far so good! But my daughter seems to nurse more ever since im expecting. Some people says, first born become super sticky when they know you are preg, not sure how true!

Back