Any Mommies in mid-late 30s or over 40 with small children?

Hi mumusings,
Thanks for the coffee scrub! I have been using the used coffee powder as fertilizer... now there's another good use.

Tam,
Is the tiong bahru bakery that good? I think I'm going tomorrow! What time do they open? Think i go Google and find oit more now!

Hi Mummies,

Finally my gas stove is up and working....after so many hiccups
happy.gif
The gas contractor feedback that the gas stove we bought is a good stove (inner flame) and has auto cut-off of gas supply when there is no flame. But, I told my maid that she still need to be cautious when cooking.

Hi Rona - Thanks.....we still have some undone works to be done by the Contractor, hopefully can complete by end of this week.

Hi Mumusings - So far, I like this Granite Sink. The wash basin is deep enough and easy to clean. For the Granite Sink, I read from feedbacks that the Black coloured sink as white "clouding" patches form after sometime of use. I will continue to monitor and update you of feedback, ok?

Dried coffee powder as scrubs....that's a brilliant idea
happy.gif

Pots - I bought a set of 3 pots from Tangs about 8yrs ago (Brand : Berndes). It cost about $200 with 1 X 8L soup pot, 1 X 2.5L sauce pan and 1 X 3.5L Pot. The pots have been serving us well and still doing good. The only down side is the cover that comes with a screw and rubber gasket which comes off easily after repeated use. Looking around for suitable glass covers to change.

I will not pay $600 for a pot, for sure.

Rona,
I think the food at Tiong Bahru Bakery is really delicious ! I like their croissants and tarts. Let me know what you think when you have been there. They open at 8am.

mumusings,
I used to make coffee in the exact same way. Now I don't make coffee at home anymore, since I am trying to get rid of my coffee addiction which is giving me acid indigestion. The face scrub is a very good idea !

Hi Tamarind,

Thanks
happy.gif
My stove is working well now. But, my MBR shower screen is still not up. Measurement done not right, cannot install. Gotta arrange another day for installation.

Coffee - I like Kopitiam style coffee. Everyday, I need my thick Kopi-O to perk me up to start the day
happy.gif
I restrict to max. 3 cups of coffee a day.

Hi all and Rona,

Coffee scrub is better for foot and body 'cos if you have sensitive skin (eg. Rona as you mentioned before...), grains can feel 'rough' on the face. Great for hb though - he likes the texture. I now have a special container for dried+used coffee powder. I remember my sis buying a coffee-scrub/massage session before for me. Smells/feels the same (minus the masseur). Costs just 60 cents per scrub even if you wish to account for water, shower cream and fresh coffee powder!!!

Love the idea that I will never ever need to buy scrubs because they're filled with fake ingredients most of the time and sometimes we get rashes from rancid almond scrubs.

Hi Tam,

Which brand of induction cooker are you using? I was told that there's a 'limit' to how large the cooker can be in HDB flats because of the voltage. Is that true or are the salespeople simply scaring me?

Hi Snowball,
I'm keen to stick back to using Blanco for sink, whether stainless steel or crushed granite, since this current one has proved itself to be extremely well made [must only get the 'Made in Germany'].

Hi Rona/Helen,
How much coffee powder do you feed your plants with? Will it work on saplings or only grown plants/shrubs?

Hi Mumusings,

I was shopping around for the kitchen sink and realised that many brands are made in China now. Yes, I chose Blanco because the sink is Made in Germany & surprisingly, the price is reasonable for a German made sink (comparable to those made in China ones).

Induction Cooker - U can view the once available in Courts/ Harvey Norman (Millennia Walk) to have a look. I like their sleek look and can flush in very well with Granit Worktops.

Hi Snowball,

Even Ariston heaters have made in Thailand (S$250)or Italy (S$300). I'm definitely getting Blanco without a doubt because it's so hard to find something's that made by niche companies in their own country!

After doing a re-tour of Ikea, I'm impressed that some of our favourite range of furniture is made in Italy, Poland, Portugal, Canada and even Germany! The next time we confirm items, I will decide by walking through the warehouse by looking at the actual boxes first.

Great news is that our favourite solid kitchen doors are made in Sweden (classic off white + panel glass), Italy (dark brown Rockhammer range) or Hungary (Ramjos black stained beech/ and Tidh-range oak). 25-year warranty covers everything except door knobs, which is very kind.

Can't wait to revamp the place! After much heavy cooking in the recent year and with the kid dashing about, many replacements and repairs needed.

Have been to Courts and Harvey a couple of times. The Harvey at Millenia is rather clinical but allows for customers to see most products within a brand at one go.

mumusings

not too sure how much coffee powder. but my mum normally scoops 2 table spoon of coffee powder for one cup of coffee.

visited spaceman yesterday. actually run by a Caucasian. His place is a soho so some of the furniture featured on his website can be found at his little place. was very impressed by the coffee cum dining table. very practical and interesting ideas. as our space is getting smaller, these 2 in 1 furniture is really useful. but must be ready to pay a price. talking about price, their price is still pretty reasonable compared to hidden wall bed and hidden bed. you can get a basic hidden bed at less than 1k. for hidden wall bed, the basic bed cost more than 2k!

Hello mummies!

Nice sharing about renovations and household matters- I wish I can contribute but I do not stay at my own place- we live with my parents, so I really have no say regarding household matters- very sad actually...

Snowball- very nice kitchen...it is great to design something you really want...

Anyways, wanted to get some inputs from mummies with kids in GEP curriculum, cos my gal just got accepted into GEP- I am now trying to find out more before we make a decision- I was not expecting that she will get in, so now have to read up a lot....Yawn, I PMed you over the weekend, if you read this, hope to hear from you! TQ.

Hello Mummies,
I am in need of a plumber and noticed you ladies are doing some renovation now, do you have any recommendation for me?

Hi Piggy,

I am using plumber from my contractor/ ID. The tiler & carpenter is good. But no plumber.....so will not recommend him.

Hi Fairyprincess,

Thx....wow....your dd must be gd to be selected
happy.gif

Hi Mumusings,

I bought a clothes hanger cum laundry basket set from Ikea to keep my ironed clothes....find it compact & useful. Going this weekend to buy my DD's study table & bookcase. Do not need a super sturdy one as anticipate she will wana chg when she is older. Found sth we can get at Ikea for ard $300 - $350 (table, chair & book cabinet)

Hi Piggy,

I am using plumber from my contractor/ ID. The tiler & carpenter is good. But no plumber.....so will not recommend him.

Hi Fairyprincess,

Thx....wow....your dd must be gd to be selected
happy.gif

Hi Mumusings,

I bought a clothes hanger cum laundry basket set from Ikea to keep my ironed clothes....find it compact & useful. Going this weekend to buy my DD's study table & bookcase. Do not need a super sturdy one as anticipate she will wana chg when she is older. Found sth we can get at Ikea for ard $300 - $350 (table, chair & book cabinet)

Hi Snowball,

The good thing abt Ikea furniture is that even if you use it roughly, should last up to 5 years and very inexepensive to replace or change to other types of items.

My $299 Ikea sofa has been in use since 2007. No warranty but still sturdy. Just need to throw a rubber cooling mat (the ones babies lie on) + thin bedsheet over as a cover which I wash daily as kid naps on it every afternoon.

mumusings,
I have the Taiyo induction cooker. I only use it to cook instant noodles, it boils water really fast. However, my mother and maid still use the gas cooker, they are not good at controlling the induction cooker, too many buttons and they get confused.

My hubby and I are big fans of ikea. We have bookshelves and tables which lasted more than 20 years. I have looked at other furniture shops at the same price range, none are better than ikea. The only exception is seahorse solid pine range which is value for money and better quality than ikea pine, but the design is limited.

Although ikea furniture is mostly particle board, their solid birch is very good and great value for money.

snowball,
Your sink is top mount or undermount ?

My current sink is undermount, it looks nice but I realized that in the future if there is any problem, I cannot change the sink unless I hacked the solid counter top.

Good morning mummies!

Thanks Tam!

I have mixed feelings really, about GEP cos I did not expect my gal to be admiited into the prog.

So now, there is a lot of reading up about the prog, and deciding what is best for her.

My hubby and esp my gal is super keen to go, but I am undecided as I am not sure if GEP is the best route for her. In my view, NYPS already gives kids good exposure and projects, so does she need to be so super stretched in such a highly competitive pool?? My hubby said I always over-protect her so she will never learn to cope with challenges and difficulties...sigh sigh...

So am trying to find out more...

Fairyprincess,
99.9% of parents want their kids to be in GEP because then they are almost guaranteed a place in the top secondary schools even though their PSLE scores are lower than the cut off point. If you look at it from this point of view, then it is worth it.

My personal experience is that the projects are supposed to develop critical thinking and creativity, but in the end parents are doing most of the work.

You can google and read more about GEP. However, do note that the comments of other GEP parents may not be reliable and they do not always tell the truth. It is best to look for teachers who have taught GEP before.

Hi Tam,

I chose a top mount sink as I considered the ease if change in future
happy.gif
We had experince with undermount sink problem for our toilets in my previous house.

snowball,
I hope that my sink can last, it is Franke, made in Switzerland. I should have done my research before deciding on undermount.

Thanks Tam,

WOW- then I must belong to the 0.01% parents who have second thoughts about GEP...

A lot of sharing at kiasuparents website- all types of comments...

I also learn that its no guarantee for GEP kids to get into sec sch- they still need to show a very decent total score based on P4, P5 and P6 SA1 results to be offered a place, and DSA process requires them to go thru an interview too....

So much complexity in this....coaching my gal towards decent PSLE results was my plan- now with GEP, there seems so much more to do!!

Hi Tam,

Went down to Ikea and made a total list of items, type of materials (pine/beech/birch) + country of manufacturing
happy.gif
Have some what decided which items to order once we've decided to overhaul the place. Their kitchens (25yr), mattresses (15yr), leather sofa (10yr) and wardrobe (10yr) warranties are very attractive. Am keeping to simple lines and colours. Lots of savings indeed because no matter where else one gets furniture from, max warranty period is 2 - 5 years. We're huge fans of Ikea too and I never ever get sick of visiting the store.

Hi Fairy,

Congrats! Hope your child will enjoy her studies no matter what choice your family makes.

Hi Mommies,
Highly recommend everyone to read this very good blog post about what is wrong with our education system. You will understand why our education system though rated highly in the world, will probably never produce any Nobel prize winners or great entrepreneurs.
http://singaporemind.blogspot.sg/2012/10/understanding-why-psle-needs-to-be.html
Lucky Tan wrote :
"So what is the secret in the Israeli education system that makes it different? They spend the first 5-8 years of education encouraging their students to ask questions rather than teach them to answer questions. We do the opposite - we measure the success and achievement of a student and teachers by their ability to answer exam questions. Primary school education is all about learning the facts and methods to answer questions...and year after year the questions are made harder and harder differentiate students in terms of ability to answer questions. We destroy the ability of our students to challenge ideas because the faster the learn and accept, the better they do at the exams. This is why the Israeli system that produces 14 year old who are 19 places behind us in standardized maths and science tests come roaring back to over take us later. We start fast ...but they run further!...and it is the distance that matters."

I totally agree with the blogger. When I taught my kids at home before entering P1, I did not teach them how to answer questions. I taught them to read and to find out things for themselves. I encourage them to think critically and question whether what they are reading is true or not. I encourage them to write freely and put down whatever ideas they have in in mind.

Unfortunately, once they enter primary school, the teachers start to undo everything that I have done. I remember my girl telling me more than once that her English teacher pronounced certain words incorrectly. All I can say to her is to always do her own research and check the dictionary, teachers are humans and can also make mistake. I dare not tell her to challenge the teacher openly since she may not take it very well.

mumusings,
When we move to our new place, we did not have any built in wardrobes or cabinets. The previous owner had many built in wardrobe but the condition is very bad after only 10 years. My old ikea wardrobe looks better after the same number of years. So I hack every thing and replace with ikea wardrobe.

Both my hubby and I love the simple lines of ikea furniture, and we will always go back there if we need any furniture.

fairyprincess

u can contact me. i can share some of my views with u as it may not be appropriate for me to share it "openly". hopefully it will help.

tamarind

i was jus told by my hubby that the form tr for my elder gal next yr(P1) is the "worst" tr in the sch! faint....but after i calm myself down, i thought" if my gal is good, she can excel under the worst tr, BUT I have to be extra hardworking" i really fear that pri sch will kill her interest in learning. but if that tr is not so "on the ball" then mayb it is a blessing in disguise...heeheehee i sound kinda Ah-Q hor. want to do, I cannot request for a change in class nor tr right?

what u taught your gal is right: need not "challenge" the tr, as some may not receive it well but always look for evidence so that we will not fall into the trap of following the blind.

Thanks mummies for your comments...

Thanks Helen for being willing to share- I have PMed you...

I also spoke to my gal's form teacher today...got more insights as well....

Fairyprincess,
Congrats to your gal! GEP is a good experience I think, just remember that you have to balance your gal on the values and the social side.

On living my parents, we do get to do have a say on the renovations and stuff in the house, cos we are paying the bills! heheheheee!

Tam,
haven't had the chance of going down yet. supposed to go there yesterday but missed the timing. But I want to go! I love croissants!

Greetings, mummies,
I'm back! So sorry for the silence. Been very very busy. And 'hello' to the mummies that I have not chatted before.

Fairyprincess,
Congratz to your girl! I think GEP is good, too, if your girl is a keen and independent learner, and you are prepared to let her handle the program by herself. I saw some projects done by GEP kids. They were just brilliant!

Snowball,
Congratz on your new home! Nice kitchen, too. Just curious, did you move to the condo across from your old place?

Mumusings,
How are you and your little 'rat' going? Are you planning to send him to any preschool next year? My little 'mousy' is enjoying school, although I regretted a little sending her to school this year
sad.gif

Induction cooker
Saw your question re. power loading. Yes, HDB has a lower power loading than private housing. The sales people should be able to advise you accordingly. I've been using my induction cooker for the past 2 years. It's a breeze, especially when it comes to cleaning up. Great for those of us who cook often and without helper. Makes the kitchen look very neat, too. Had to change out all my pots and pans as they were not induction compatible.

Tam,
Still teaching at the same place? How is C n J doing in school?
I'm not getting much success with the 四五快读 nor phonics for my girl
sad.gif
. She listens, but refuse to articulate the pronunciation. I don't know how much she has absorbed. However, she's pretty good with her sight words recognition. So when we read together, I stopped at those words and she will read them. Any more tips
happy.gif

My older girl is doing ok in her CL without tuition. Her foundation in chinese is rather weak as we don't speak the language at home, and she only started learning mandarin after we return to Singapore 3 years ago. Now we hv to decide if she should take up HCL for next year. She has little interest in the language. Her school only offer HCL to those who are coping fine in all 4 subjects.

Looking for advice/opinions from you and other mummies in this thread.

Rona,
You went MIA some time ago (hehe, just like me). And now you're back! No more late-night 'dates' with the KD stars? How's your eldest coping in school? Think he's of the same age as my eldest and Yawn's, right? Is he planning to take HCL next year?

Yawn,
Where are you?

Hi Aly,

Yes! We shifted to another apt 1 street away....did almost a full renovation. All hack & redo except living hall flooring & tv console
happy.gif

Good to hear from Aly and Rona again
happy.gif

The kid is doing okay learning from us at home. Can count, write letters/numbers, draw and colour but needs pushing when it comes to hygiene, toilet, over-playing, under-sleeping and disciplne (manners etc).

He's a strange creature and doesn't learn the same way as most kids. I gave him an idea to make a book today of all the alphabets and he immediately set down to stenciling + drawing a matching image of his own. The best I can do now is slowly getting him to match phonemes with letters.

He's definitely good at conceptualising what he wants to draw/write on paper. After completing each letter/image, he adds a TICK on the page! Turns out he says it's V for victory and good job done! Haha... he surprises me when I least expect it.

I'm not keen to send him to kindergarten at the moment because the standard of the nearby ones are ahem, dismal, from the way I see the teachers interact/talk/play to the kids. Too sloppy and haphazard. Kids are just roaming about the rooms, talking to each other - I don't seem to hear standard Mandarin or English. They sing in "la, la, la..." No piano, no lyrics, no concrete syllabus although they pin up all sorts of achievements on the boards.

Scary.

I think we can do better having him at home since both hb and me have strengths in various academic subjects. He's in charge of Maths, Science, Engineering, anything Technical, Play and Toy/Cars Appreciation. I do Creativity, Language, Discipline, Music and Maths. He can speak both Mandarin and English, understand dialects, translating and code-mixing/switching whenever he gets stuck.

It's good to have all the time on our hands to play and talk to the kid all day. Tiring but interesting to watch him grow. Sometimes, I'd think he didn't listen but he can explain concepts and 'teach' my parents! I think kids do better when you encourage them to peer tutor or teach others. That way, you know if they are confident of what they've already grasped.

snowball, pls let me know when u have shortlisted ur dd's study table.. my DD is going p1 next year..and she is outgrowing the current FP plastic table-cum-bench (still can squeeze in but her legs are too long)..

tam, does ur plumber fix toilet bowl too? my toilet bowl is leaking somewhere (can hear the dripping all the time). Are his charges reasonable?

fairyprincess, congrats on the GEP..does that mean that ur gal have to change school (change of environment, logistics issue)

aly_nat, i am not making headway with si wu kuai du with my gal too..she is that kind that learn better with play than memorising.... sigh...so renewing her berries again.
sad.gif

for those that are interested in legoland.. i went 2 fridays ago...queues are OK.. my sis went last friday, minimum queuing time is 30minutes!

Hi Tamarind, thks for your recommendation. My mum found a plumber through neighbour's recommendation, and he was good in term of being sincere and didn't over charge. I would recommend Ah Hui 9754 7509 if anyone needs his service.

Hi Bloom,

We just bought a study table for my DD1 from Ikea. Its under the brandname "Galant" Desk. Size is 1.2M X 0.6M. We bought the white colour one at $139 per set. They are also selling the smaller version one with dim 0.8M X 0.6M. The desk is adjustable to heights between 60cm - 90cm & can be tilted at an angle. We also bought 2 swivel chairs at $55 each & 2 X tablemats for office desk @ $7.90 each to prevent my kids from scribbling directly onto the tabletop. The table can now accomodate my DD1 and her 妹妹
happy.gif

U can check it out on Ikea's website.

On 四五快读, you need some discipline and perserverance to continue. I try to make the reading fun for my girls by getting them to guess the words by providing pictures or gestures. I also make each reading session 30 min or less (so long as they can complete 2pages per session, I'll stop). So far it works for them tho' progress for DD2 is abit slower. She only managed till middle of book 2 now.

Hi mumusings,

I chose this for its clean cut design that comes with galvanised steel base & legs. Can easily change the tabletop at $49 ea when it gets too dirty or defaced by kids. I hope that the set can last my girl thro' Secondary school. That's when 10 yr warranty's up
happy.gif

Hi Snowball,

I remember even without warranty, my sis' and my study desks from Ikea lasted more than 10 years. Another one from Habitat is still in use by my mom at her place!

Hi snowball,

lucky me come in here to check out... haha... have been searching for a study table for my kids too, esp for my #1... gotta go down ikea to check it out yo.... somemore with 10yr warranty.... muz go see see....

this fri will be my #1 orientation.... is yours over?

Back