Any Mommies in mid-late 30s or over 40 with small children?

Hi Gerbera,
I think alot of weight gain also has to do with water retention, bloating and/or poor blood circulation. Which is why slimming centres can effect weight loss 'cos they target all 3 with whatever machines/massage they use. Hahaha don't worry I think my ckteow is at least 50% less fat content than outside. I don't really eat much, maybe half a plate. Just want to eat a bit and be happy lah
happy.gif

hi Helen,
Thanks for sharing. What else not to eat/drink? I don't drink coffee.

Hi Snowball,
I'm sure you can do char kway teow if you keep mixing the noodles. Spray water or sprinkle some oil if it's too mashed up/dry. My son is recently wanting to try spicy foods --- more 'man'?

mumusings
he encourages people to eat 'good fats', so that the body will take up these good ones and hence leaving no room for the bad ones to take their place in our body. good fats incl nuts of course. hence if u feel like snacking, buy some nuts(without salt etc, jus some good organic nuts) and snack on it when u feel like eating. at least u are putting into your body something decent and not chips and fries.

geezzz... actually i cannot remember all that is why i needed to buy the book so i can refer to it when i need it. borrowing from the library and renewing it is so troublesome....

worth reading. slimming works best when you have freinds or partners who can encourage one another. doing it alone needs alot of self motivation and determination which is not easy. i do it with my hubby.

Wah , mumusings , it makes me soo hungry and I had t eat supper.
sad.gif
there goes my plan to slim my tummy.
All your kids are soo big already.
I m a first time mum to a 14month old baby
Recently for the last 2 weeks, he suddenly rejected fruits which he loved a lot, just wants to squash them.
He was such a good eater but now... Sigh!
Hopefully TS due to teething ...

Ha ha ;) he had that with his first few teeth. It it never rejected food or milk so I guess must be the molars ;)
Any blog I can view on recipe , it really does look very good

But I m just finding it strnge that if his teeth hurt , why is he stop ok with eatin crunchy snacks or yoghurt melts ....

He just had his mmr.v shot too

Snoopi,

Likely due to teething. Soon his appetite be back to normal again.

By the way, my gal is only 19 mths old n my boy is 4 yrs old.

Hello Mummies,

This is a very touching love story which I want to share with all of you. This story reflects the TRUE meaning of the vows exchanged during Solemnisation : "In illness or good health...I shall stay by your side......"

The couple happen to be the hawker selling nice roast meat/ char siew/ roast duck in the canteen opposite my Company. They are a very cheery couple who remembers what we like to eat from their stall.

http://www.yourhealth.com.sg/content/sporean-woman-marries-dying-hubby-hospital

mumusings

Patrick Holford has many books. 2 of the boooks I bought are:
1)The Holford Low GL diet and
2)The 10 Secrets of 100% Healthy People: Some People Never Get Sick and are Always Full of Energy? Find Out How!

Enjoy reading and lose the extra weight in a healthy manner.

Personally do not believe in slimming centre and "crash slimming" it is never lasting and some are detrimental, and can cause irreversible damages to our body

He teaches us to enjoy food and yet keep slim and healthy. There is a set of excercises which he recommends but I am not hardworking enough to do it, or I think I will look and feel even better. So the saying goes: 没有丑人,只有懒人

sorry for so many typo errors. my laptop is acting up. time to make way for new one, but this one is less than 2 yrs old, worse than those laptops i had before...... and i tot tech gets better???!!!

heloo everyone!!
It's been sometime since I last visited this forum. We're in SG now for part of our summer vacation and am just busy rediscovering SG! So many places have changed! So many condos have sprouted up and so many luxury cars!

Kids were getting a little restless from the humidity, so we brought them to Amazonia at Great World City. Read about on the web, so thot we'll give it a try. Oh boy....it was soooo expensive! $32 per child for 2hours and didn't even include the spaceballs and glow in the dark mini golf!! Crazy pricing!!

Next we're thinking of trying ExploreKids at Pasir Ris. Anyone tried that? any suggestions on interesting activities or places?

I know there's a waterplay area at the Science Center and one at the Zoo. We've not been to the first one. How's it compared to the one at the Zoo?

tam, like ur slippers, is it machine washable (how to wash when the bottom gets too dirty). Maybe should get one pair for my gal.. where did u get it?

Re lack of sleep. I am sharing the bed with my afraid-of-everything DD. At night she will toss and turn and turn 360degree and hit me! tiring!

Hi Bloom,

ha....ha.....I share my bed with my 2 DDs (hb no place to sleep, so he sleep on my DDs' mattress).

My 2 DDs can end up swop places when they wake up in the morning. Sometimes, I also got kicked off the bed by them.

Hi Sharon,
Thanks for sharing abt iFly. Will likely bring kid there when he's older -- I personally will not have the guts to try hehehe
sad.gif

bloom, snowball

Haha, I refused to share bed with my kids, especially dd2 who is very well versed in 佛山无影脚. After they exit from baby cot, I moved them to adult bed & they've been sleeping in their own bed in a separate bedroom since 18 months old. But sometimes dd2 will come over to snuggle with her daddy in the middle of the night. Only during holidays I will share bed with either one of them if twin bed is too narrow for hubby & I. The real reason is I like my bedsheets to be clean. They sit here sit there then hop on to my bed. Really can't stand it, so my bed is off limit. Actually I think I'm very 'yim chim' in terms of cleaniness, my mom still very amused my hubby can tahan my supreme standard in hygiene, hehe

Hi Yawn, Bloom and Snowball,
Talking abt kicking parents off the bed... I used to push my dad off the bed when I was a kid too + also roll off the bed and somehow end up under the bed! One time I was at a chalet sharing a bed with my mom's friend and another kid -- they complained that I kicked them off! My mom was furious one time 'cos I kicked her during an afternoon nap (she was around 7mth pregnant with my sis). I totally have no idea I had this habit and didn't have violent dreasms!!

Good thing I don't do this anymore
happy.gif

Hi mummies,

My 4 yr old son is sharing bed with me and my hb. Small queen size bed. Wanted to let him zzz on his own bed in the other room, but think he is scare and not ready. Also, if we ask him to zzz in the other room, likely have to shift my 19 months old gal to zz with her kor kor too...but my gal will still wake up in the nite at times, so worry wait her cry will wake kor kor up and yet cannot wake us up as we zz in the other room! how how how ne....hmmmm....

Diana

We moved dd1 to separate bedroom when she was 18 months old, before dd2 was borned. Didn't want her to get jealous over giving up her baby cot to dd2 so we migrated her to adult bed 6 months before dd2 was borned.

We had similar concerns too, about waking each other up. My dd2 slept in same room with her sister since she was 5 months old. dd1 was the one crying in the night though (till she was 5 years old), at least 2 to 3 each night. Somehow dd2 got used to her jie jie's wailing pretty quickly, only stir abit but didn't wake up & subsequently she managed to sleep through all her jie jie's crying feat

They enjoyed having each other in their own room. Could tell dd2 was so excited when we moved her cot to her jie jie's room, haha!

I think the advantage of moving them to separate room as young as possible is because they won't know how to protest yet. My dd1 just accepted her new bedroom without a fuss. We brought her shopping for a new adult size bed & told her our decision. We would pat pat her to sleep in her new bedroom and leave her door open, leave the CD on so it's not so quiet and leave a dim light on in the living room area so it's not entirely pitch dark when she looked out from her bedroom

yawn,

So for me now is abit late to move my boy to nx room rite? We did ask him and he refused as he say he will be scare.... ;(

Hi Mumusings,

Thanks for sharing.

I never believe and joined in such sprees. I only buy from trusted source.

Hi Yawn, my hb din want my kids to sleep on their own. He is of the opinion that our kids will one fine day sleep in their own room and din want to sleep with us anymore. So, he treasured the little time we have, all squeezing in the same room.

Anyway, he is willing to be the one to sleep on the mattress, so let him be lor.

Re:Scams

recently i saw a New member able to sell/ organise sprees here in singapore motherhood. think there are some loopholes in the system.

re:sleeping with kids
i am also sandwiched between my 2 gals.... cannot get good sleep and it is not helping with my back prob. haiz... tried all ways to make their bedroom comfy but they are still scared of sleeping on their own. tried going back to my bedroom after i put them to bed only to realised them squeezing in with me in the middle of the night! hmmm.... mayb they are just not ready yet to sleep on their own

re: sleeping on their own

So far they never cited too scared as a reason to sleep in my room. I think they got used to it, since as far as they can recall, they always sleep in their own room.

If dd1 & dd2 had an argument before bedtime or when they got carried away playing non stop at bedtime then I will separate them & let dd2 sleep on a mattress in my room.

re: scams

I bought stuff through unknown people before. But only low value stuff like $30+ especially if it's the first time I spree with that person. Less risk mah. Fortunately so far so good. Except for 1 who charged me excessive shipping so that was my first & final purchase through her lor. But at least I received the stuff I ordered.

I definitely don't dare to order high value items such as coach handbags through spree. Too risky.

For mommies who are interested in sports attire and shoes, expo hall 5A is holding an addidas sale till tomorrow 7pm.

Wonderful discount! Shoes are the best grab

Yesterday, dd1 said mommy & daddy are shopaholics. Alamak, seems like setting bad example for kids.
We told her this is buying in bulk during sales mah, hehe, stretch our dollar further

pink gerbera,
I also do not eat snacks or tidbits. I also avoid oily food.  I also love beef horfun !  My mother cooks the best beef horfun in my opinion.

bloom, 
I bought those slippers from DIY shop at Harbourfront center.  I did not machine wash, I asked my maid to handwash.

snowball,
Where to buy chorophyll water ?
My maid came back !   Sadly, her daughter married a conman who stole all her money and possessions.  After they registered, my maid took her daughter away and went back to her home town to give birth.  She had no choice because it is not acceptable to be a single mother in their country.  
Now I am worried about my maid's emotional well being.  She is devastated.   We have always been very kind to her and she talks a lot to my mother. Hope that she gets over it.  

mumusings,
It is risky to join sprees here. I used to organize sprees but got tired of it. Many good spree organizers I know also retired.
Now I buy stuff on my own, ship to myself.

sharon,
Wow it must be very exciting for Sabrina. She is so brave ! I brought my kids there to watch before, did not try it out.

bloom,
I am a very light sleeper, cannot sleep with kids. My kids now each have a queen size bed, I still cannot sleep well with them. Now when we travel, I must book 2 rooms or add 2 extra beds for them.

mumusings
these dumplings are hard to digest. you may want to limit yourself to 2 at most

Re:spree
so far the spree organisers i spree with are quite nice and we became friends. would love to buy things on my own but find shipping quite costly at times. when i found a mummy to spree dangdang books for me, i was overjoyed! but sadly, she is stopping her sprees too as her number 3 is coming. i really salute spree organisers who are full time working mothers, really wonder how they are handle all the orderings etc

mumusings,
Your mom's dumplings look so delicious. Can I order from you next time ? It is difficult to find good bakchang nowadays.

Hi redvelvet,
Condo and cars are also ridiculously expensive. I am now dreaming of selling my HDB flat and buying a huge house in Canada when I retire. I also heard that our 3 room HDB costs the same as a small private island in USA.

Gardens of the bay is opening :
http://www.gardensbythebay.com.sg/en/home.html

Helen,
I used to organize sprees but stopped because I made mistakes and ordered the wrong item. No choice I had to swallow the loss. I also had to answer queries from fussy mommies about expiry dates of vitamins, questioning shipping costs, arrange for meetups, pack and queue up at post office, etc. It is really very time consuming. The savings from sharing shipping costs are not worth the effort. Many mommies do it because it is fun at first, but they will get tired of it.

Hi Tam,
Hahaha... will ask my mom. She won't sell I am sure but we won't mind giving you a bunch if they make more next time
happy.gif
Spree organisers have more to lose actually because merchants may send wrong items and some fussy people may make trouble... or worse, not collect items!

Hi Helen,
I am known to eat alot of bakchang since a kid
happy.gif
No worries... have been dowining tea and lots of fruits too!

tamarind, mumusings
yes, i understand the hassle of organising sprees. when the mummy who buys books for me from dangdang told me how one mummy bombarded her over a S$2 book, i was so upset!

Many joined sprees thinking that spree organisers make big money(there r some black sheep tho), but they forget the amount of time, effort etc the organiser have to put in to buy the items for them. Hence, when the mummy agreed to take in my book orders, I was overjoyed! Cos I have encountered so many problems trying to buy books from dangdang on my own. sigh... if only spreeists are more understanding and not think every organiser is money making.

mumusings
enjoy your dumplings. every time i see dumplings, it reminds me of my late grandma. she made the best dumplings. she passed on when she was making dumplings(choked on her phlegm while she was napping....that was what i was told)...still find it hard to get over though she has passed on for more than 30 years missed her......

re: house
i am quite happy with my present 4 rm flat, cos dun seemed to be able to find this type of "regular" design with good space. Plenty of running space for kids outside the house as i stay on the ground floor(never dream of staying on the ground floor heheehee!!!)
flats are getting smaller and more expensive and the govt wants us to have more kids???!!!

JTS: overteaching at childcare

will be withdrawing my younger one from her present childcare as the curriculum is crazy! they make these little ones do P1/2 mathematics! my elder one is K2 and her interest is killed! good thing she loves reading and is better in languages. my younger gal is definitely not the academic type. so better withdraw her b4 further damage is done.

Was reading "You are your child's first teacher" by Rahima Baldwin Dancy and was glad she shared the same view. Will be reading another book The hurried child by davind Elkind(hope i did not get his name wrong) to learn more about overteaching and related topics. I think our kids are suffering when we as parents decide to follow "the trend". Always believe that over stretching does more harm but many parents do not agree that they are over stretching the child. Sigh.... not many share the same view as me...not trying to be different jus want my gals to grow up happy, healthy and love learning...

Helen,
Glad to know that we share the same view.  I read the amazon customer reviews of ""You are your child's first teacher"' and I totally agree with the author.   Many parents are trying to make their kids learn up to P3 maths before entering P1, this is over stretching the kids.  I don't think that accelerated learning has any advantages,  even though the child may be very bright.  Some parents complain that kids are bored, but learning how to deal with boredom is important for childhood, that is when they think of new ideas to play.   Before P1,  I only taught my kids to read which took very little time.  After that they were left to learn and explore on their own most of the time.    I think it is rare to find kids who actually spend their childhood playing like them.
I totally agree with you that over stretching does more harm than good.  Glad to find a like minded parent like you.   

Hi Tam and Helen,
Wonder why parents want to over-stretch their kids so much while in kindy. So what if kids can do P2 maths? Does that make kid happy and more successful in life? I'm totally against killing interest this way. Will be content kid's keen in learning (whatever level so long as there's inherent interest).

Hi Mumusings - Your rice dumplings looks yummy
happy.gif

Hi Helen/ Tam,

I know of a CC ard my place which is well-known for being very academic. Kids gotta do tons of worksheets at the CC and still have to bring back homework for the weekend. I also find this crazy.

The CC my kids go to got quite a good balance of academics and play. So far, my kids do not resist going to CC everyday and can tell that they enjoy their day spent at the CC at the end of the day.

I have parents from my kids' CC whom ask me if I send my kids for extra cirriculum classes (phonics, chinese language classes, etc) on weekends. I replied them that my hb do not agree that my kids get anymore academic classes since they are spending ard 10 hrs in fulltime CC already. So far, both my kids are doing fine with me supplementing with reading prog at home. There are also many parents whom commented that the CC is not doing enough of academic works at CC. I am surprised by their remarks actually.

Hi Tam,

Glad that your maid came back but sad to hear about what happened to her daughter. So, her daughter gotta stop her U education? That is very sad. Yes, gotta watch her emotional well-being, esp in these few months.

Hi all,

Just to share - my mom almost wanted to take me out of my school because she said (at that time) that there were barely any tests and no further stretching beyond the very lax curriculum. Dad and I protested 'cos I was already in P4 and he saw nothing wrong with my development. Sis and I turned out fine! Definitely not as stressful as other schools but learning was enjoyable and teachers spoke crisp standard English. Some parents forget to see the quality of the input and only focus on the 'depth' by looking at number of worksheets fulfilled. Likewise, I attended a kindergarten next to our place which is 80% play/singing/art. Teachers and classmates spoke well. Some snobby and cliques of rich kids but otherwise the few hours was compact.

I don't see the old 1980s curriculum killing our future careers/lives! If one has good foundation in phonics/concepts, there's no reason to do badly for most generic subjects, as Tam often reiterates. I never had long spelling lists and even if I got 8/10 or 9/10, my dad would put it to carelessness. Some of my friends with crazy-strung parents would cane them for not scoring perfectly. These girls came from richer families, did well right up to JC and then settled to do the usual Law or Medicine, some got married and become housewives with kids + become domestic chauffeur.

I guess the only 'gap' between us (us and the 'elite') === a matter of aptitude and family/social connections?

Basic points to note for every parent is
1) know our own limits ($$, resources etc)
2) respect kids' interest and abilities
3) being realistic -- how many dragons will become PM/leaders etc
4) is success the only way to gain happiness in life?
5) encouraging character development ABOVE pushing for grades and hothousing

Lately MFA protocol chief Lim Cheng Hoe is apparently under probe for false $$claims. 38 years of seemingly glossy career (and likely pension) gone in a moment of greed. Look also at the various scholars, principals, disciplinary masters and executives who have traded their reputation (self and family) for sex/money/fastcars. What do these all point to?

Hi Tam,

Chlorophyll Powder - The name of product is called "Super Chlorophyll Powder" (photo attached).

This can be bought from Unicity S'pore Pte Ltd. The shop is located at HDB Hub. U can read more about this from their website at www.unicity.net/singapore

7190314.jpg

snowball,
Thank you for the information. I will look for it.
My son used to attend a kindergarten which gave tons of homework, I had no regrets withdrawing him after 3 months.
My maid said she will put her daughter in another university after she gave birth. There are private universities that will take her in. I don't know how to console her, only can tell her to forget about what happened to her daughter and focus on helping her live a new life.

mumusings,
I am always happy to read your views about education and I totally agree with you.

When I grew up, there were no EM3 or foundation classes, no GEP, no IP, everyone goes to O levels and A levels. No one in my secondary school class said that they had tuition. Now with so many forms of streaming, I don't see that our young adults are any better than our generation. I have many students who passed O levels but complain when they have to read more than a few lines of English, and cannot solve algebraic equations.

Previous reports from the Department of Statistics show that households spent $820 million a year on both centre and home-based private tuition. Many parents are complaining that MOE teachers cannot teach. Well, the easiest thing to do is to revert back to the old system, remove GEP, remove IP and remove foundation classes. Let all children, from the very bright to the weakest, receive the same education.

You have written very good points to note for every parent.

Back