Any Mommies in mid-late 30s or over 40 with small children?

Hi Rona,

Good to see around again. Wow, you can manage to run 3 times a week. That is not bad ya. I am trying to start to swim again. Will do so when my kids are having their swimming lessons. But, gotta wait till my younger girl can go off supervision during her swimming lessons.

I managed to shed about 3kg in the last few months just by watching my diet. Target to shed another 3 - 5 kg. My thyroid dr has been harping at me that I have to lose more weight.

Hi Sharon - Nice to be at the outdoors. My kids joined a 3-days art day camp last week. They did a no. of art pieces. 1 thing I can confirm from this camp, my DD1 is not the artist type :p

Rona,
Yes. S is in P1 this year.How about yours ?
One thing about S school , they have a lot of English writing composition. Term 3 they will be starting Chinese composition too. stress !

Snowball32,
Good that u signed them for art day camp ! I always wanted to do but find that quite expensive good one about $300+.
Mine S also not artist type leh..

Mumusings,

That is good colouring. Noticed he even bothers to change colours for windows and window rims of the plane. How old is your boy?
My son is at the stage where if I ask him to colour, he will just scribble the same colour randomly and then declare “ I finish!”

Yawn yawn,

I was just like you…still am – absolutely love to buy clothes. I cannot ‘repeat’ my clothes at work at minimally 2-3 weeks…
But now no time and also, gained weight after kids. With my #1, still ok, managed to go back to pre-preg weight without doing anything and tummy was still taut. But the twins really took toll on my body, couldn’t lose the weight after delivery even though I did not gain a lot considering I had twins and my tummy became so flabby *sob sob*

Snowball,

After all these years, I found the best way to lose weight for me is still through diet. Cutting down carbs works amazingly for me - just whether I determined enough or not.
I used to have thyroid problems too. At one point quite serious, saw endocrinologist for about 2-3 years and finally got it under control.
Your old maid is back now?

I am sending my current one off tomorrow and then picking the new maid up. Fingers cross it will be a brand new start and she will be a good helper to us.
Informed my current maid on Sunday and paid her almost 1 full month more. She was really grateful and happy and kept thanking me. Makes me feel a little bad for all the times I scolded her.

Hi Sharon,

My kids attended the Arts camp organised by their Child Care Centre. I paid $340 for both of them to attend. Can tell that they enjoyed the camp and exposure to the Arts world.

Hi Pink Gerbera - Yes, I cut down on carbo intake esp. during dinner. I also during "Pu Er" tea after dinner which helps alot with my bowel movements. I am still seeing the endocrinologist and he told me that my hyperthyroid will stay with me. I have kept it under control with mild medication for 5 yrs now. I was given the option to go for Operation to remove my thyroid glands totally but, gotta be on lifetime medication which I decided not to.

My maid came back from her home leave, thankfully
happy.gif

Thanks, Gerbera, for the compliment. There were a few smaller pics where he did what your kid did. Quickly scrawled one/two colours hoping that I will tear another nicer pic for him to colour. He puts in greater effort when the picture is to his liking (pictures with many details and vehicles). He doesn't like colouring people and animals.

Hi Rona,

I haven't lost any weight at all since we last discussed this topic
sad.gif

Came back from a short Bintan getaway with my twins. Now I'm even more tired than before. Hubbi and I with the twins, no maid no baby. Taking of TWO 2 1/2 year olds no joke. Confirm can lose more weight.
Cannot imagine when my no. 3 starts to follow us for family trips, we will be outnumbered!

thks thks...but he only cook things he like to eat. but he like to use the happycall to toast bread. Anyway if he enjoy to use happycall to cook and I can relax why not rite? hahaha

Hey ladies, I got an omoron machine that can take ur weight and fats. If you all interested, maybe we can meet up somedays and I can bring the machine out to do the fats analysis for you all.

;-)

Snowball,
Hyperthyroid is the one where you will lose your weight easily? I had thyroid, but its the one where you don't eat and still gain weight. But I'm now ok, thyroid levels etc all back to normal. Weird... But I can't lose weight by watching diet alone, I have to exercise. no choice.

mumusings
stay healthy - this is more impt then losing weight. of course don't be too over weight lah...

Yawn,

how about stationary bike? should be better for your knees. Else you really have to do some weights. I know where the weight clings to... mine are on my tummy and my love handles! sometimes you will see the middle-age indian ladies wearing saris and there is usually some fats on their waist and love handles too? I look exactly like that, except I also have a pot belly...

happycall pans
how do you use the double-side pan? you cook on one side and then after that you flip to the other side? Why?

Hi Rona,

You don't really have to flip the doublepan if you want less cleaning up. I sometimes cook with it open -- just take it like a square-smaller-pan. Flipping is so that both sides are cooked without having to open up the pan. Useful when you are grilling or pan-frying and wish to avoid splatter/fume.

rona

I did the stationary bike at gym as warm up. Normally I will do some simple cardio exercises, light dumb bells for arms and there are 7 types machines in the gym. My problem is tummy area too, like 4 months pregnant, and fat upper arms. I'm so conscious of revealing these extra fats that I stayed away from those clingy materials and layered with cardigan or outer covering to create slimming effect. A lot of constraints, cannot wear anything I like

Yawn,

I understand what u mean by the tummy, coz I used to have that problem too. My tummy make me look like 6 month pregnant and I was alway given seat when i took public transport. hahaha...so I learn to juz sit and dun explain to save myself from embrassment.

Hi Rona,
Glad to see you back !
I lost all motivation to lose weight now. I don't have enough sleep on most days, already struggling to keep awake, how to exercise ?

Hi Sophia,
I know how you feel. I have just returned from a trip to Langkawi with my kids. Now that they are 8 and 9 years old, I can finally feel more relaxed during the trip. During previous years I was extremely tired when I traveled with them, though it was really fun.
Did you have any problems finding food for your twins ? I always have problem finding something that my boy likes to eat when we are on holidays overseas.

Hi Diana,
I had the same experience on public transport too. However, in recent years, especially from Boon Lay MRT, I find that people are less willing to give up their seats, even to women who are very heavily pregnant. I guess this is because the train is full of foreign workers who do not understand the meaning of priority seats.

Hi snowball,
It turns out that I am able to manage without help because the kids are bigger now, I only mop the floor 2 times a week. However, I can take half a day to mop floor, because I am a perfectionist, and I will keep mopping until there is no more dust or dirt, which means about 3 to 4 times for the whole house. Before I started to employ maids, I used to kneel down and wipe the floor by hand. Any mommies still do that ?

Hi mumusings, snowball,
More shocking news about the sex-for-business corruption case involving the top gun of CNB yesterday. The woman involved is very attractive !
I am keeping my fingers cross that my maid will return next week !

Hi Sharon,
S is certainly a very lucky girl who can enjoy so many activities.
Standards in P1 nowadays are getting higher and higher.

Hi mommies,
What kind of floor mops do you use ?

I am using rubbermaid :
7153404.jpg

It is quite easy to easy, but I can see the water streaks on my homogeneous tiles. Anyone has any recommendations for mops ?

Hi Tamarind,

You have echoed my sentiments! I am also struggling to get decent amount of sleep.
My youngest boy will wake every morning anytime between 5:30am – 6:00am like a rooster!
Every spare minute I can find (if at all), just want to veg on the sofa.

I am using 3M mop. The head is made up of strips of cloths. I find it is light and cleans up very well. Downside is the head only match to 3M stick.

Hi Snowball,

Yeah mine was hyperthyroid too. At one stage also almost had to remove. My sister had hers removed because the medication could not control.

Hi Sophia,

We are flying to UK in August. Me, hubby, our 3 yr old and by then 18mth old twins – 14hr flight, followed by 2 hr drive. Me not looking forward ro it at all.
I need all the luck in the world. I already know it won’t be much of a holiday but no choice as my hubby family are all there.

Hi Tam,

Saw a steamer mop (S$199) on pay TV last week. Tempted to get. Have used Karcher before but very cumbersome. Am using 3M mop at the moment (the green one with grey sponge refill). Where did you buy your Rubbermaid mop from? They're superb with such stuff and apparently own Graco and Aprica now
happy.gif

Hi all,

Very bored with my own cooking and since the kid is suddenly into mee goreng sort of noodles, I made my own Hokkien mee based on cooking advice from hb (he's the theoretically sound food consultant who will tell me how much ingredients, how long to cook etc). Kid ate up all the yellow noodles while I prefer the white thick noodles
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif
Nice big lunch for all since not much appetite due to hot weather.

7154015.jpg

Hokkien mee with fishcake, squid and prawns. Forgot to get lime so used a tiny slice of lemon instead. No pork/msg.

Hi Rona,

Yes, hyperthyroid will have weight lost while hypothyroid will have weight gain. I had no sympthoms at all for my hyperthyroid except that I kept losing weight. I was dignosed with super high hyperthyroid during the annual medical checkup by our company.

But, the Endrocrinologist I am seeing also warns me that weight gain isn't good and I have to work to keep my weight at the acceptable range.

Hi PinkGerbera - Since my thyroid is well under control now with mild medication and no other serious sympthoms, I will keep it as it is now as it doesn't make a difference for me whether I take the op or not....still on longterm medication. So, why go thro' the pain leh?

Wow....it will be challenging to bring 3 young kids on a 14-hr flight. Gotta find ways to keep them occupied thro'out the flight.

Hi Tam,

Yes, as our kids get older, we are less dependent on the maid. I am thinking to go maidless when my DD2 starts P1 in 2 yrs time. Send both my kids to student care instead. See how it goes.

Ha...haa.....I dun bother at all, so long as I have mopped the floor, that's it, dun care still have dust or not. My hb was teasing that we shd prepare slippers for home wear when my maid is away.

If your maid needs the income, she will definitely come back. She will have to spend a lot of $$$ to get another employer.

Hi Mumusings - your noodles makes me drool....I bought the hokkien premix from Prima Taste and it tasted so so only.

Hey, have your tried those happycall pan recipes that can be found on the internet. I am going to try out the terriyaki chicken and chicken kebab.

Hi Snowball,

The only effort needed much for hokkien mee is boiling the stock and frying lots of garlic. I find prima mixes very salty and expensive. The plate I cooked = likely less than S$2. Didn't dare cook too much in case it turned out horrible so only used half of all ingredients. As for doublepan, I prefer to venture on my own instead of relying on recipes 'cos I don't eat a lot of things hehehe... Just anyhow cook lah... I use it to do all sorts of things, including parking milk bottles and propping up cakes when not in use since it's flat and squarish. Wok takes up too much space at the stove. Planning to do Korean pancakes this weekend since I have spare sotong and lots of spring onion.

Here's my no-pork/msg recipe: http://mumusingseat.blogspot.sg/2012/06/fried-hokkien-prawn-noodles.html Hb suggests we pop in scallops next time for deluxe version. Fun dish to do if you have 30 mins. At least now I know what to do when I have craving for Hokkien mee
happy.gif
It's certainly helps to stand at food court and secretly learn through the acrylic panels!

Hi Bloom,

Long time no hear from u!!! Take care!

Tamarind, pink gerbera:

Meal times were nightmares for me. Only wanted to eat certain food which of course the resort didn't have. So in the end, my son was eating fruits and my daughter was eating vegetables only. Luckily they still drink milk.
OMG, i won't know how you can cope with the long flight and car journey all at once!

Pink Gerbera: Do your twins go childcare at our area? They are 3 so born in year 2009? Mine are dec kids so this coming end of year they will be three. Must try to meet up so that we can share notes.

Mumusing: You are good woman....... I really don't have time to cook even though I would love to.

Hi Sophia and Diana,
Thanks! I don't like to spend more than 30mins on any meal so anything i cook has to be time/cost-efficient. I love hokkien mee with lime and chilli -- now that I can do my own, I have one less thing to buy at foodcourts and hawker centre! The problem with outside-food is that there's so much pork/msg and reused oil. I've paid S$4 for hokkien mee recently with super salty gravy, a few strands of fish cake, 3 tiny rotting prawns and lots of pork fat (not fried lard). Better to cook at home -- at least I know what went into the food. The most absurd thing is to pay for char kway teow or hokkien mee at hotels, around S$18 if I'm not wrong. Having to eat hawker fare in a pretentious setting is beyond me, with air-con blowing the noodles hard, tall glasses and nice table napkins!

Hi Sophia,
We've trained out kid to eat what we eat. The rule at home is, if he doesn't want to eat our foods, he has only milk to drink so he has to decide for himself. I'm not the sort to cook porridge and mince meats just to pander to kiddy tastes. Same with diapers, we let him try various brands since he was an infant and so he's not into particular brands. Must train kid to be flexi or else he'll be day/nightmare when we do travel or leave him at school!!

Mumusings: Agree with you about getting them to eat what we eat. I don't cook special food for them but I guess at 2 1/2 they are at that stage where one moment they adore carrots and the next they hate it...... For me, it's eat what's in your bowl or that's it. But I'm glad they love veges and fruits.

Mumusings

I didn't know prawn head can be used to cook as soup stock. I learn one new thing today. Thanks for sharing yr hokkien mee recipe. Looks yummy.

Mumusings,

*drools* What chilli you used with the Hokkien mee?

Sophia,

My twins are only 16months. My eldest boy is 3, born in 2009. So opposite as you, singleton first, followed by twins (girl and boy).
How old is your youngest?

Yes! We should meet up and exchange notes. Are you SAHM? I am FTWM.

My boy is a choosy eater. Veggies must be hidden, and doesn’t like fruits. Meat no problem – loves chicken and fish.
I feel partly responsible, because was pandering too much to his taste when he was younger. Now, trying not to repeat my mistakes with his siblings.

Snowball,

Hoping they will sleep a few hours at least since it is red-eye flight. Trying to stay positive and tell myself that we can do it.
No choice as it is something we probably have to do every year.

hi
i've got 1 adult and 1 child USS ticket to let go at a discount. Expiry in end Nov 2012. If you are keen, please PM me. Thanks.

Pink gerbera: my youngest is 7 months. My twins are ivf kids so after them didn't think I would have any, so Surprise! Well it's gods gift after all.
I am a ftwm so my twins are at the childcare at saraca road. My maid is taking care of no 3 for now. Later she will join her siblings. So my evenings are often chaotic when all three are home. Some more not getting any younger, really no more energy Liao.
Where you staying? I'm at saraca terrace, near the cte side.

Hi Sharon,
Thanks! You can try doing some hokkien mee for Sabrina. So much cheaper and healthier to cook at home. I often feel sick eating takeaway due to the dirty oil and msg (swelling and itch).

Hi Moorspa,
Use only very fresh prawns (heads) for the stock and not recommended for those with allergy to seafood. My hb usually puts in a few dried prawns to add flavour to stock. You can freeze extra portions and keep in case there's use for it for other dishes.

Hi Gerbera,
The chilli is a general chilli sauce from SingLong which I bought from Shine Korea (cheapest pricing for anything Sing Long in Singapore). I actually didn't have lime so I used a tiny slice of lemon instead. Hahaha I am the sort to find replacement ingredients and use whatever's in the fridge. Going to try char kway teow next week!

Hi Sophia,
Good luck with cooking for your children. Mine likes his foods plain or with some gravy. He hates veg and most meats but love fried white bait. We basically let him eat just rice/gravy/soup if he doesn't want other ingredients. I was like that when I was young too! Only started enjoying food when I was around 11 even though my grannies cooked my favourite foods to entice me to eat. I used to be a bean sprout but now a whale after giving birth!

pink gerbera, mumusings,
We can setup a Sleep Deprived Mommies club ! Having 8 hours of sleep is now a luxury to me.

I also have 3M mops, those with the micropads. I bought the rubbermaid from NTUC hypermart because it is bigger, so less effort needed when mopping a room.

mumusings,
Your Hokkien mee looks fantastic !

snowball,
I also have slippers which have microfiber underneath, can clean the floor as we walk hahaha

7159665.jpg

Sophia,
When my boy was younger, he was like your kids when we traveled. He did not even like to eat fruits, only drank milk. Now he only likes to eat MacDonald's, chicken rice, or Japanese curry rice. The only time when I had no problem, was in Japan, he ate curry rice for every meal !

I have vegetarian twins. Mine eat veg, tofu, mushrooms n the occasional fish n chicken. Don't eat pork and picky with beef. Haiyah, as long as they eat, I'm happy. I find them underweight for their age.

hi ladies!

mumusings
i love hokkien mee too! recipe can be found on your blog eh? hard to find halal and nice hokkien mee

tamarind
are the slippers mop thingy slippery? was tempted to buy but read some reviews which said it is slippery.

btw i placed order for some books from dangdang but have not received it. may i know how long does it normally reach you?

jus came back from my short kuching trip(maiden vovage) with my family of four. so tired! now young one sick....sigh.... felt so paiseh when my friend's relative brought us around and kids keep saying i wanna go home!

Tam how did you manage? i am really scared to take them out of the country now.....

Hi Tam,
I like the idea of a sleep-deprived-group! I finally saw the Rubbermaid mop on TV today. How much is it?

Hi Sophia,
Kid and I are not fond of pork and fatty meat in general. My son is also largely vegetarian hehe... loves potatos, soy beans, juice and only certain fruits.

Hi Helen,
Recipe is here: http://mumusingseat.blogspot.sg/2012/06/fried-hokkien-prawn-noodles.html
What scares me about hokkien mee from food stalls -- when I see strips of grey fatty pork. I don't mind some well-fried lard but the sight of naked pork freaks me out!

mumusings

thanks for sharing! enjoyed reading the rest of your diy dishes too! will find time to try out den let you know the outcome!

Hi Helen,
Let me know how it turns out. If you're strapped with time, don't do the stock. After frying noodles/egg/garlic, add seafood + water + salt + sugar to the wok and cover wok for 3 minutes. If you like it starchy, sprinkle just a pinch of corn flour. Less flavoured but edible still (I tried this method too).

Marie France is costly but works. Don't know if they still do so but when I went some years back, they provide serum/gel FOC for you to use at home. Got to put up with their pushy style though so you really must be very clear/firm with what how much you are willing to pay.

Hi Snoopi,
Forgot to add that slimming treatments will work if you do twice/thrice weekly. I noticed that (for myself), eating less won't work 'cos I end up gobbling more food after a few days. What I did was to go every 2 days and I lost 10kg in a month. Kgs were shedding on their own with no additional effort. Btw I'm the sort to put on more weight/bulk if I do sports. Hope you'll find a place suitable for your budget and schedule!

Snoopi,

I will nt recommend slimmimg centre, coz I went to cenosis before but I did nt lose much weight only 1 or 2 kg but end up paying close to 10k as they will keep asking me to try their new machine (wonder how come they will hv new machine every other week) and then ask me to top up. Then when I decided nt to top up any more their attitude change lor.

Thus, I will recommend TRA, a 3 month supplement slimming program which trim away my tummy and is very safe as I took it when I was breastfeeding my gal (when she is 6mth old). But I did double check with PD and lactation consultant before I start the program. I lose abt 5 kg and my weight is back to my secondary school days weight!

Maybe if u interested to find out more, u pm me for more detail and I can email u my before and after picture.

happy.gif

Mumusing,

I show my hb ur hokkien mee picture and he is impress lor. Show him receipe and he is even more impress. Think sooner or later he will ask me to try to cook le!

snoopi

I went to a slimming center at novena in 2004 after delivering my dd2. I forgot what was their 'old' name but now they're called london weight management. Not effective in fat reduction. Only lost water. I didn't spend much although they keep asking me to upgrade package. No result at all so I'm not convinced to pay more to upgrade. However my mom's friend indeed lost a lot of weight but that was after spending $10K!!! I don't like marie france either. Went for trial and their cold wrap are really freezing COLD, very uncomfortable. So I gave up on slimming centers after that. I wasn't fat then, just flabby at tummy and arms & I was too lazy to exercise so I tried slimming centers.

I signed up for 1 year ladies gym recently after massive weight gain last year. But yet to see any weight loss either. Only good result in toning

Sophia,
Its great that your kids like vegetables, don't need to worry about constipation. My boy hates vegetables, and he had serious constipation before.  Even now, we are constantly worried about his bowel movement.

Helen,
The slippers are not slippery, in fact, they are rougher than ordinary slippers.
The longest I waited was 12 weeks for dangdang books.  
When I brought my kids to travel, I let them pack all the toys and books they wanted to bring. They are only one year apart, so they can play together and don't bother me.

mumusings,
I bought the rubbermaid for $39.90 at NTUC hypermart a Jurong Point.

Re: losing weight
Once I lost many kg simply by eating very little,  like one piece of plain bread for lunch.  Now I don't have the motivation to do it anymore.  I can't be hungry and sleepy at the same time.

Hi Tam,
Thanks will look out for the Rubbermaid mop. Time to change to new one
happy.gif

Hi Diana,
I have short-cut method for hokkien mee to save you. Will do a post when I have time!

Hi Yawn,
Cold wrap doesn't work for me. Made me cold, sick and hungry!!! Best treatment is those using heat, serum, machine and massage. All 4 sure to make one sweat and lose fats. I was dropping 1kg every few days this way... too bad now no income or else I won't mind paying to get back to size 10.

Hi all,

Presenting my seafood halal char kway teow! the secret to good char kway teow is quick action, alot of garlic and dark sweet sauce. Something I learnt from staring at the kway teow uncle when I was small (used to wait up to 1 hour) for a pack of char kway teow.

Haven't written a post yet 'cos just finished yummy lunch and washing. I feel so Singaporean today and extremely happy the taste is 90% like my favourite stall's!

7169639.jpg

No lard/pork
happy.gif

I have one less expenditure at foodcourt now
happy.gif
Going to aim to do beef hor fun next week...

Tamarind and Mumusings,

Hi^5, my fellow sleep deprived club members!

Mumusings,

On one hand reading all the mummies post on losing weight, so telling myself must step up efforts. On the other hand, seeing your char kway teow before my lunch hour is no good lah…giving me CKT craving…alamak.

I am big fan of beef horfun also…really enjoyed the Geylang one with black bean sauce fried by the lady.

Now, even if I want to enroll in slimming programmes also no time. Tell myself when my twins get a little older, then if still cannot shed the weight, then join slimming programme.

Tamarind,

I totally again with you. Sleep deprived is bad enough…to actually deny oneself of decent amount of food will be even worse. My only comfort is I am not a snacky person…I don’t nibble on tidbits, cakes/cookies etc throughout the day so no need to worry about extra calories there, 3 decent meals is good enough for me. Once in a while indulge, but at the moment, also not actively ‘dieting’.

Sophia,

I live otherside of the CTE, along Yio Chu Kang road opposite to Lentor.
My boy attends Learning Vision at Grassroots Club.
Evenings also super chaotic at my house…especially now the twins can walk so they start to fight with Kor Kor for toys etc.

mumusings
i love char keay teow too! thanks thanks! sigh tmrw back to work liao....
did not rest much this hols cos childcare had hfmd so i kept my gals home for two weeks b4 we went for kuching trip. come back, young one sick, so kept her for a week. next week i have to go back to work and i feel so tired... and there are so many things not done....boo hoo....

RE:slimming
read more about the healthy ways of slimming by Patrick Holford. he teaches people to eat the right food so that "bad food" does not take the place and make you fat. I tried his method of not taking coffee and it worked! but i cannot do without coffee, heeheehee

what shocked me was by not drinking coffee, it makes such a difference! didn't know abt it until i read his book. no harm trying for mummies who are trying to slim down.

you can borrow his books from library. i borrowed first, love the content so bought it at bookdepository

Hi Mumusings,

I make it a point to tug my kids to by 10.15 - 10.30pm, latest. Otherwise, I would not have anymore little time available for myself and my hb.

We only allow them to sleep later on Fridays and Sat.

My kids are veg and fruits lovers. I am training my kids to take spicy food. My DD1 now loves to eat anything curry :p

Hey, your fried kway teow looks nice too. I have try before but failed miserably....Shd buck up and try again
happy.gif

Hi Tam - You can let your DS try out chorophyll water. It has "cooling" effect and helps to cure constipation problem. I have been taking this whenever I have a bad throat or feel heaty, it works well for my family.

Losing weight - From my experience, for effective and consistency in weight loss, its a combination of consistent exercise & diet control. Eating small meals throughout the day instead of 3 big meals also helps in weight ctrl.

My hb went to a slimming centre before and lose about 15kg after 6 mths. He did intensive "cold wraps", strictly controlled diet plus he ran 4 - 5km every night, after work. After marriage, his weight ballooned by another 20kg. He always say that I am a very "successful" wife (feed him until 白白胖胖 :p

Back