Any Mommies in mid-late 30s or over 40 with small children?

Hi mumusings,

Sorry, I don't mean to dampen yr mood. Just want to share a bit on what I heard abt teflon. You might want to read this 2 links.
http://thegoodhuman.com/2007/07/31/what-teflon-is-and-why-you-should-avoid-it/
http://www.medicalmalpracticewatch.com/teflon_medical_info.htm

I remember that Teflon was reported to be harmful to health. I think either it was reported in the news or I read it online. Since then, my mum stopped using Teflon pans. However, they do not recall the pans and it is still sold in the stores.

The pan you bought is a copy of the Korean happycall pan version, but the non stick material is not Teflon. It claims the non stick coating is made of some eco friendly material, forgot what it is. The price is much more expensive. However, I still wonder if it is really safe, esp non stick pans.

Hi all...good morning!!

I just read that MOE is spending $650m to upgrade primary schools to more station-based learning in classrooms, as opposed to traditional table-and-chairs configuration for classrooms.

Do they think that changing hardware is going to improve the students' learning? It's more important to have teachers with the right attitude and aptitude, in my opinion. A teacher's encouragement can make a very big difference.

And I find it so strange that the new design classrooms are what we have been having here for the lower grades. And at the same time, some educators here are also interested in learning the Singapore math way....how the world goes around...

Hi Moorspa,

No problem. Thanks for highlighting what you know
happy.gif
The pan came with a Teflon sticker so I'm not too sure about the eco-friendly part. Was just buying to try the weight and flipping before we decide if we're going to get the Happycall range -- very tempted to get the diamond wokpan! Have you tried any of their stuff?

Hi Mumusings,

I bought a Happycall fry pan and its really nice to use it. So far, I used it to pan fry fish and also pan fry carrot cake. It uses very little oil and it doesn't burn and best of all, no oily stains. Do not get the oily smell in the kitchen too.

My colleague used it to do "grill" boneless chicken topped with Mushroom sauce. I am going to try that out.

Its a worthwhile investment
happy.gif

Hi Snowball,

Before the advent of Happycall, my mom paid 1000+ for some Korean crockery/pan... works well but so expensive and bulky! Now she's kicking herself for not getting the Happycall if only she had resisted the saleslady.

Where did you get yours from?

Hi Mumusings,

I bought it from Gmarket. I much cheaper than buying via the TV media. I paid $64.00 for the pan.

Its abit heavy but still manageable.

Hi Snowball,

You able to PM me the seller's name 'cos I'm very scared to end up buying a fake. Yes, I realise the Lejel group charges S$109 for the same thing. Thanks
happy.gif

snowball/mumusings,

re HPC Pan
you can season those L-shaped chicken drums with a little salt for 15-30 mins and pan-fry using the HPC pan ... very nice!

My mom "BBQ" the sweet potatos last week too ... super!

I've got my mom two sizes ... the normal one and deep one (which said to be able to bake cake, but yet to try) ... now no complaints of oily kitchen from her ... peace

Hi aa,

Yes, my aunt did a Happycall dinner for Mother's Day. Broiled chicken thighs, baked salmon etc. Impressive. At least the maid has less items to clean up after a massive dinner.

Hi Snowball,

You can email me at [email protected] instead 'cos you don't accept PM either. Thanks! No hurry - when you are free 'cos I know you're working.

Thanks Snowball
happy.gif
Got it. Just saw advertisement for Happycall at S$64 at John Little with purchase of S$80/above. Suddenly it's everywhere.

Hi Snowball,

I saw Happycall (entire range at Isetan)!!!! As low as prices on the BP section. S$62.90 for flat double pan. S$56.90 for 28cm diamond wok. Lids are around S$17 - $18 if ai remember correctly. 28cm pot with lid is S$79.

Yay... at least I can try out one item at a time or wait for their sales to get rebate vouchers. I'm hoping hard the other stores will bring Happycall in. Lejel is still selling the flat pan at S$109.

Mumusings,

I am surprised that the prices in retail store is the same as online shops. I didn't hv a chance to go to Isetan to check it out. Thanks for sharing.

wow talking about happycall pan :}

I got deeper.. use for 2 weeks.. I like it.
I have something to check w P1 parents

1) did your school still have SA1 ?
2) SA1 exam is it inclusive show and tell ? how many marks ?

Hi Mumusings,

Yes! I saw the promotion flyers my colleague showed me....so tempting to buy their diamond wok and the pot cover now.

I tried another recipe - Fried celery with prawn with "hae bee hiam" which I printed from the internet over the weekend using my happycall pan. Very easy to cook. It took only 5 min of cooking.

Go get one....you will not regret it. Agree with Sharon, should've bought the deep pan.

I got the red pan, think it is the normal pan. My hb bought it from Gmarket coz he believe it will be good coz he see his frenz mother using it, even though I was not keen coz we hardly cook. but his stance is with it he can cook lor....so far, initially he is the one using it. Me only used it a few times.....but frankly speaking it is rather useful.

Hi Snowball,

Can share the hebehiam recipe?

The Giant double pan is deep with grill lines that's why we bought it to try since Happycall is either flat, deep with no lines or only jumbo with lines.

Cook has been very senang this week hahaha... just add stuff to the pan and take out the cooked items first before adding more items. Cleaning is definitely alot lesser due to less splatter/fumes
happy.gif

Waiting to see if metro or elsewhere will bring it in... or wait for those $10-rebate-off Sxxx amount days.

Hi mummies,

How’s everyone doing?

Any idea where I can buy Chinese songs/儿歌 CDs?

I do not want DVD or VCD, just music CDs to play as background music while my children play.

I went to Popular but couldn’t find any.

Hi mumusings,

"Playing" with your new toy?
Finally tried the pan fried chicken satay, really yummy ... going to get more.

Just back to Singapore today, feeling sooo hot and sweaty
sad.gif

Hi aa,

Yes, cooking every meal with the double-pan. Excellent for small amounts and one-person meals
happy.gif
Weather is horrible!! Enjoy your satay
happy.gif

Hi Mummies,

This forum is getting a bit quiet in the past week.

The last 2 weeks have been eventful for me. Sold my house (unexpectedly). Our buyer is nice enough to allow to surrender our current place 6 mths later (with no additional rental required). We manage to buy another place last weekend. Now, gotta work with the ID again on the renovation of our new place. Target to shift house by end Oct....workwise, I will be changing my workscope, bilateral move....challenging 6 mths ahead for hb and me with so many things happening, not forgetting the big event for my DD1, her P1 registration in end Jul!

Hi mommies, finally got time to google for this thread and bookmark it in my office PC!

Very busy with new job... will try to read forum often...

snowball, my big event also in Jul ahahaha... scarly....

Hi Mumusings,

We are shifting to a bigger place 1 street away from my current place. It is just opposite the Pri Sch we intended to enrol my girls at. Hopefully, luck is with us and we can get a place
happy.gif

Hi Bloom - Yes, July will be a big event for some of the mummies here too

Hi Snowball,

That's very convenient! I grew up with kindergarten next to my place and also pr/sec within walking distance. The amount of time saved is priceless + also much easier for adults to juggle their schedules. Hope you were given a good offer price for your current flat! Enjoy moving and reno
happy.gif
I am yearning very much to do up my place too but got to save up more first since I'm not working.

Hi Bloom,

Wow! Haven't heard from you for a long time. All the best in your new job!!

Hi all,
Wonder how's Rona, Stylo, Muffin, Alynat, Pantone, Poohy, Sophia and a few other mummies these days... Helloooooo!

Hi, I've been here reading the posts. Just that i dont have much to comment on the topic on the happy call products....ever since maid is doing all the cooking, I don't buy new or expensive kitchen ware. They don't knw how to use n don't take care.

Lately I have been very pisses with the kids childcare. They have packed wrong shorts into my twins bags twice! This is despite writing names on the uniforms and all that... I return the other kids shorts but I don't get mine back! Now I'm short of shorts!

Will be having a garage sale at my house this Sunday 3 June 9-2 pm. Will have storybooks, maternity items, kitchen items and others. Many are stil brand new in boxes.
Do pop over if you are free. Add: 99 saraca terrace

Hi Mumusings,

In fact, we sold our unit at a slightly higher price than expected. We did not expect our buyer to accept our quoted price and condition to allow us to stay for 6 mths (instead of the usual 3 mths for normal completion of sale). She actually offered a much lower price initially which we repeatedly reject her offers. Din expect that we can close the deal all within 1 evening.

The seller whom we bought the house from were also very nice people
happy.gif

Now, its clearing of unwanted items from my current house, and arrangement to do reno for our new place.

Hi Snowball,

It's always very nice to meet generous and understanding seller/buyer when it comes to properties. Good for u!

Hi Sophia,

Oh dear... so you'll have to keep buying new/extra shorts for your twins...

Mumusings: I refused to. The sch wants me to get a set which will cost $18. Since its their mistake, I refuse to get another set. So, I pack our own shorts with the sch t-shirt. Looks like the makings of a rebel (the mommy actually).....

Mumusings: I refused to. The sch wants me to get a set which will cost $18. Since its their mistake, I refuse to get another set. So, I pack our own shorts with the sch t-shirt. Looks like the makings of a rebel (the mommy actually).....

Hi Sophia,

You certainly have the right to refuse to buy new shorts since they were the ones to cause the loss. What's their response to your move? Why are the shorts so expensive btw? Because of embroidery?

Hi Mumusings,

CC uniform is not cheap. Each set of uniform at my DDs' CC cost us $25. They do embroidery on the polo-T and I find that their quality getting from bad to worse (not improving), each set can last my DDs max. 18 mths.....Urgghhhhh

Hi Snowball,

Wow! S$25 is a lot for a set of uniform. I've totally lost touch with costs of schooling items and it's about time I start doing some homework.

My cc charge $18 for the afternoon uniform which is just a simple tshirt n shorts. The morning uniform is another set which cost $22. Simple with the school name embroidered on it. My girl has some lace on hers.
Nowadays the fees changed by cc is worse than pri school. Everything cost money.....

Hi Sophia,

You live really near me! I live along YCK road.

I paid about $90 for 2 sets of uniforms and 2 set of PE outfits. Remembered my hubby asking me if its made by Armani.

My #1 CC fees hike again this year, after adding gym fees plus GST is almost $1K (after subsidy!). I am now torn as to whether or not to enrol my twins, imagine almost $3K in CC fees. But then, I want them to be in same CC, so means may have to pull my #1 out which I think will be sad for him.
*sianz*

Snowball,

Exciting times ahead for you and your family.
All the best for your reno and setting up of your dream home.
My colleague is currently renovating his place and was sharing his ID plan with me. Nowadays, lots of clever ideas and space saving/storage solutions...really impressive. Comes at a cost of course....

Hi Gerbera,

Your hb isn't wrong perhaps. I read somewhere that the ACSI (IB programme) uniform blouse/tie is made using Hugo/Armani textile...

Hello mummies!

Long time no see- had been super busy at work for an extended period of time- soo tiring, no time to follow the thread...

For mummies with primary school kids- what activities will your kids be doing to occupy the month long holiday? Any suggestions or tips?
I think CC activities are too "kiddish" for older kids- true?

fairy

You can sign up for programmes at national library. Go to your nearest library ekiosk to browse the programmes. There is age group indicated for each programme so you can pick those suitable for your kids' age group

Hi Fairy! Good to hear from you again!

Hi Yawn,
Thanks for the info on the ekiosk. Didn't realise one can sign up for courses this way.

Ah- thanks Yawn!

Briefly read the discussion on GEP prog some time back- I also enquired from NYPS about the number of GEP kids per batch- they take in about 100 in total each year, with 75 from other schools, so effectively- only 25 NYPS kids get into GEP- and 2/3 tends to be males- which leaves about 8 places for females.

So my gal will need to compete with 200 girls in NYPS pri 3 for 8 slots- the chances are virtually zero unless you are super brilliant...

So I am happy for her to sit for GEP tests, but know that she will not be in GEP. So far, she still keeps in band 1 and top 25% of her higher achiever class in pri 3 at mid year, that is doing well in my view =)

Hi Yawn/ Fairy,

Think Singapore Art Museums got some holiday programmes for children. My kids' CC organising a 3-day day camp for them next week. They will be visiting museums, doing pottery, porceline art. Think will be interesting for them.

I am looking for weekend cooking classes for my kids to go. Any recommendations?

mummies who own happycall pans...
do you reckon i should get the popular pressure pan or the grill type
happy.gif
cos the grill/deeper pans are 'so much' heavier..

Gerbera, that's great! Can meet up sometimes. Can share tips on keeping your sanity with three kids esp twins at home
happy.gif

Swing by on Sunday if you are free.

Back