Any Mommies in mid-late 30s or over 40 with small children?

Hi all,

Got my sanity back after the new washer arrived
happy.gif
The price of S$275 (including disposal, prompt delivery and installation) is totally worth it! Due to design/space constraints, we got ourselves an LG 6.5kg.

Whew... no more loud spinning like an impending explosion is imminent, beeping every 15 minutes and manual wringing.

http://mumusings.blogspot.com/2012/02/my-new-washer.html
6717115.jpg

Too bad I only have space for 22" by 24" max or I'll definitely get the next higher capacity. Feel like a suaku 'cos haven't bought a new washer for ages and just so thrilled to have another new item in the kitchen hehehe..

snowball,
My kids also enjoy their lessons with the coach very much.

bloom,
We bought the smallest and put it on the floor. We put it close to the window, so I do feel some circulation, but not strong.

mumusings,
How long did your old washer last ? My old one lasted less than 5 years.

Hi Tam,

Our toshiba lasted 9 years. My mom's mitsubishi is around 10 and almost there. Fisher dryer is 8 and going strong still.

What shocked me was the rust below for the made-in-japan toshiba! I would never have known if the guy didn't lift it up to carry it out of the door!!! Was like a great rusty guillotine!

tam
the noisy fans are the imitation ones. sorry i did not make myself clear. yes i love the simple design too! but it is really not strong, for ventilation in aircon rm I guess it is still ok. ehh but for the price not worth spending loh

bloom
i sleep with aircon on for abt 8 hrs but my temp is 27 cos i can't stand the coldness from aircon. my poor hbby n kids sometimes perspiring....but after a while when they fall into deep sleep, they r ok. my friend said I will spoil the aircon but i told her i rather spoil the aircon then spioil my health heeheehee

TAM
my colleague told me she buy dresses from ASOS cos she is bigger build. I will check with her the quality. and yes the free shipping to singapore is very tempting heehee. my hands r itchy loh

Hello mummies!

ASOS- Tam- do let me know if you do buy- clothes look interesting there as it is a multi-brand store. I also like Wallis and Promod, but not sure if have free shipping or even ship to Singapore. I never bought clothes online leh- how do you know a size 10 is really the right size without trying?? Cos I usually prefer clothes that are more fitting, rather than loose...Mummies who buy clothes online- do share...

Hi Fairy,

I like Wallis too
happy.gif
But no need for now 'cos not working. I usually get larger in case... at least alteration can be done. Or get very neutral-cut clothes and generic types like drawstring pants and knitted tops. Best to go local boutique to try sizes. Most of these brands are consistent across their products.

Hi Helen,

I used to have stuffy nose from sleeping in air con room but no longer so after I had my kid. What I used to do was put a few drops of olbas oil onto a towel/tissue nearby. Helps clear the nose and scents the air (if u like eucalyptus - I've got koala taste...). Or if you have sinus, put 2 to 3 droplets into a bowl of boiling water and inhale. Use the water for laundry afterwards. I used to put droplets of olbas even into water for light mopping.

Hi Bloom,

Yes, my kids are having same swimming coach as Tam's.

She is patient and good with kids.

Hi Mumusings,

My last washer, a LG lasted for about 4 yrs before I went bust. I got an Indesit Washer n Dryer set at $899 and have been using the set for 6 yrs now. But, the washer is very noisy (it the tumble drum type). Cannot use it at night otherwise sure got complains from neighbours.

Hi Yawn,

I am also not 1 who is comfortable to buy clothings online. I have to touch and feel and try on before I decide to buy.

hi mumusings

yup i do put on some tea tree oil or eucalyptus oil but does not really help. stubborn nose i have! jus bought something like a nasal pot which i can use to wash my nose. saw Dr Oz program on tv and he recommended pple with sinus to wash the nose with saline. have not try tho.

thanks for sharing!

Hi Snowball,

Thanks for sharing. The new LG is so silent I keep going to check if everything's running hahaha.. the Toshiba was very violent. A few times I shut off the electricity cos it looked like it was going to explode if I didn't stop it (loud, shaking unusually crazily).

Hi Helen,

Looks like your nose was as fussy as mine - thank goodness no longer so... be patient. You have lots of fabric/heavy curtain/rugs/stuffed toys at home? Or dampness/old furniture/mdf wood/books/newspapers near where you rest/sleep? I notice things were better after I moved out of my parents place (lots of the above). I make it a point to change my sofa cover every 2 days and bedsheets 4 days. Nothing around my bed except for a shelf to place kid's milk powder/water for feeding at night.

anyone watch 拜金女王 last night?
I don't usually watch, just started following again last week after stopping at first 2 episodes.

One part especially funny. The old man asked the lead actress what is her after thoughts after reading the classic 老人与海, she summarised the book is about an old man who really wanted to eat fish but couldn't catch one. The lesson learnt is not to be picky about food, besides fish can eat veg or meat. LOL, so funny! script writer really has a sense of humor!

However, I'm not particularly moved by their 'love story', somehow not very convincing they are deeply in love, insufficient chemistry I guess. The other dishy male actor who appeared last night was much better looking than the lead actor though

mumusings

my whirlpool also very loud. Quite scary and I have to stay away from the kitchen because I'm really paranoid that it will explode! the washing machine always 'shift' position after each wash due to too much violent shaking

where is rona?

so quiet... busy watching drama?

I'm still hooked on manga after discovering online manga since last October. Used to read lots of manga in my late teens & early 20s but really expensive to collect. So excited to discover so many online manga, all free!!! Wow, found treasure!!!

re shopping online... i used to buy from BP (impulse buying) and my colleague always know cos the sizes are never fitting :p I would also like to know how to know the exact size especially when my size is not really 'normal'.

re washing machine, my new washing machine (think samsung) is also very noisy...

Hi Yawn,

I thought Whirlpool's good? Wow... didn't know it gets so loud. Am in love with my new LG. Quiet, no shifting and no violence. Does it's job well before I transfer the clothes to the dryer afterwards.

Hi Bloom,

What do you mean that your size is not "really normal"? I'm pretty large at the top and hips so I go for generous cuts or layer my clothes sometimes. I go by the picture. The ang moh websites are more accurate 'cos sometimes they tell you what size the model is wearing and there are reviews on whether item is "true to size".

Hi all,

Just to share (I know many of u like Jap food here) my latest home-prepared combo meal. Ran out of miso so no soup.

This huge portion was enough for hb and I. Kid ate some rice with gravy and egg roll. I can't make myself pay for restaurant food knowing that some use the same frozen ingredients + inflated menu price due to rental/staff costs.

http://mumusingseat.blogspot.com/2012/02/saba-kabayaki-set-meal.html
6736391.jpg

Under S$5 for fish, egg roll and side veg dish
happy.gif
No smell 'cos used rice cooker to heat up the frozen saba kabayaki hehehe... all done in 20 mins on quick mode.

helen,
I hope that the prices of bladeless fans will go lower in the future. I do like the look of the fans very much, and they probably don't need any cleaning. But it not worth paying so much now.

Thanks for the feedback on ASOS. I am buying all my skirts from overseas websites because I need the larger sizes :p I cannot fit into G2000 skirts now, sigh...

Fairyprincess,
I always look at the size chart, it is accurate for me. ASOS is UK size, I will probably go to Marks and Spencer to try before buying. All my clothes are now from Landsend.com and oldnavy.com. I almost don't buy from local shops anymore.

yawn,
All my shoes are also bought online. I love MBTs and Easy spirit anti-gravity shoes. These shoes are sold at Metro Paragon, so I usually go there to try out first before buying online. My pair of MBTS cost over $400 here. I bought it online for $250 including shipping.

mumusings,
I also have a Fisher dryer for about 5 years, hope that it can last as long as yours.

mummusings, i am between a S and M, so local stores usually dont have my size (if i wear too loose, my boss will think i am preggy hahaha), and UK/US stores usually dont have my size too!

tam, my sis said vornado is having promotion at homefix now...

yawn yawn :
Can I check with u ? did ur dd take piano Grade 3 or Grade 4 exam ????
is it advisable to skip grade ???

tamarind :
which are the website u use to buy ur shoes ? wherether they have smaller size 3.. my feet very small can't wear even size 4.

anyone can share
about P1 creative writing in school
1) Do u help to give idea ? or let them doing on their own.

sharon

Didn't sign up for grade 3 & 4 exam. Not really skipping grades because teacher covered everything in syllabus, just that we didn't sign up for exam.

Before her grade 2 exam last Aug, teacher already started teaching bits of grade 4. Teacher initially wanted her to sit for grade 4 this year but we really don't fancy yearly exam so we suggest only go for exam next year. Hence teacher moves on to next grade since already done with grade 4 syllabus

For piano, I think it's necessary to go for exam on & off. So I will probably sign up for 3 to 4 exams. For strings, I think I will only sign up for 2 exams.

Where is your dd learning her piano? with a school or private teacher?

yawn yawn
Teacher suggested go Grade 3 in feb 2013 then Grade 4 in sep 2013, but I told teacher cover everything in Grade 3 but no exam. only go exam for grade 4 in Sep 2013.

What do u think ???

she has a few teachers but all 1 to 1 home base.
currently teacher go to our house to teach

Don know what happen Grade 3 exam book 2011-2012 out of stock...

sharon

Can't comment about your dd teacher's plan leh. Her piano teacher would know best, I guess?

We left entirely to teacher to decide the pace of teaching. Personally, I prefer less frequent exam. Very tiring if keep drilling for exam. No fun to learn music this way

For piano, I only intend to sign up 3 or max 4 exam. For strings, I intend to sign up for max 2 exam.

re: piano books

if yamaha is out of stock, you can reserve. if urgent, you might want to try calling a few smaller music schools to check books availablity

Hi Sharon,

Best to let the teacher gauge your dd's pace and recommend the exams. If you intend to use the results for future purpose, might want to consider Grade 2, 4 and beyond. I remember my crazy piano teacher signed me up for Grade 4 immediately and it was scary!

Hi Bloom,

Haha... understand the part about being in-between size (when I was at that sizing for a while).

Hi Tam,

I'm sure the fisher will last pretty well 'cos I do 2 to 3 loads of laundry a day sometimes (when I change bed linen and wash the quilt
happy.gif

mumusings
Yes..S had her G2 exam a few ago , I like yawn yawn prefer less frequent exam.
Think will go for Grade 4 in 2013

how long does washing machine life year ???
my AIr Power going to dead soon...just like yawn yawn always shift position after each wash due to too much violent shaking and very noisy too

Hi Mumusings,

Your Saba fish meal looks delicious...yummy
happy.gif

Hi Sharon - I think a washing machine that can last 5 yrs is considered quite good already. I am using my current one for 6 yrs now. So far so good. But, like Mumusing's old washer, the bottom portion started to rust.

Hi Sharon

The toshiba (9 years) and fisher dryer still doing well (8+). The new LG is very quiet. Cheap and works well.

Hi Snowball,

Which brand is your washer? The last thing I expected was to see so much rust underneath... Shocking. Thanks. The saba meal was super easy to do. Great for saba fans like my hb.

Hi Mumusings,

Mine is Indesit. Also a super noisy washer. But, quite a good washer to use. The dryer is also a great help esp on wet days.

Hi Snowball

Yes, the dryer is very helpful on damp and humid days and makes the clothes etc very straight
happy.gif
I'm always washing the bedlinen and quilts. Cuts down waiting time and also no need to take down clothes when I cook (from the bamboo poles). It often rains when I put the laundry out to sun somehow!

mumusings, snowball,
I cannot live without the dryer. The fact is that Singapore is very humid, clothes/bedsheets do not dry quickly. Many years ago when I was working in Idaho, USA, I could wash a thick cotton sweater in the washing machine, hang it indoors and it could be very dry in less than a day. In Singapore the same sweater takes so much longer to dry. Sometimes clothes just do not feel completely dry if we hang them up.

sharon,
I buy from
http://www.zappos.com/ (use vpost)
http://www.endless.com/ (free shipping over USD100)
http://www.amazon.com/ (fixed shipping)

Your feet are really small ! You need to wear child sizes.

bloom,
Thanks for the tip about Vornado.

Dryer ! Is it will increase pub bill ?

Tamarind : Thanks !
Just check with u about English , So far Sabrina never use dictionary and also never check with me about e meaning of the words , she claim that she could understand the story and enjoy reading all the time .
Question : Is it possible that she could read and guess the words meaning ? Shd I leave it all to her ? Bc i just cant believe that she could has this ability ! But yet her vacabury is very good. I just wondering !

Hi Sharon,

I think Sabrina likely understands what she reads but if you want her to hone precision and technical literacy, you can encourage her to keep a little journal of interesting words and meanings copied down. It doesn't help knowing exactly what every word means, especially words with similar meanings. Great to hear that she enjoys reading.

Yes, dryer will add to bills but worth having one because I cannot stand the smell of half-dried clothes.

Hi Snowball,

Very out of touch with kids' books. Thanks for sharing about the LTNS. Looks like I better do the reading up while I have time on my hands
happy.gif

Hi Reiner,

LTNS = Long Time No See....Learnt this abbreviation from my teenage nieces and nephews :p

The Dictionary I have bought for my DD1 is a simplified version of the standard Oxford Dictionary. So far, my DD1 only flip it a few times. But, it is helpful when I cannot explain meaning of certain words. I will take a snapshot of the cover for your reference.

Hi Tam/ Mumusings,

Yes, my maid use the dryer to dry my quilt cover and bedsheets when they are 1/2-dried. I also din like the "wet-feeling" of clothings.

Hi Sharon,

For my DD1, when she comes across any words she do not understand, she will ask me for the meaning. There are some instances when I cannot explain the meaning to her understanding and she got frustrated. Hence, I got her a dictionary & teach her how to refer to it.

sharon,
Compared to air con, dryer uses a lot less electricity. My hubby pays the bill and he said that during the cooler months when we don't need air con, the bill is about $100 lower. We use the dryer at least once everyday, up to 3 times on weekends.

Yes I think it is possible to guess the meaning of words if a child has read enough. However, it is not 100%. There will be definitely some words which she guess wrongly. I don't make my kids check the dictionary because I think that may kill the joy of reading. I ask them to read out loud to me and I explain words which I think they don't understand. Now both kids are reading long novels independently, I just leave it to them to learn on their own. If there are words which they don't understand and want to know, they can ask me or check the dictionary themselves.

As for creative writing, my girl seems to know how to write long stories by herself, I do not need to help her. My boy does not really like to write, he especially dislikes writing picture compositions in school, because he does not like to be told what to write. However, he can write long stories of his own involving all sorts of animals, actions, etc which are far more interesting than school work. One interesting thing that my boy enjoys doing, is "creative story telling". Whenever he is inspired, he tells a new story to my girl. He says a few sentences, and if my girl feels like it, she continues telling his story using her own imagination. I find it quite amazing to hear them create stories effortlessly, and they are speaking in complete sentences with a good vocabulary. The best thing is, they are doing it for fun !

I read in a book about creative writing, that parents should encourage children to "tell" their own creative stories, before making them write. The fact is that it is the generating of creative ideas that is more important, writing is only a way of putting these ideas down. I feel that most parents focus too much on writing, spelling, etc. However, kids don't like to write mostly because they don't have any ideas about what to write.

Actually, Chinese creative writing is a much bigger problem for parents and kids. This is because many Singaporean kids do not (or cannot) read enough Chinese books, and they do not speak fluently in Chinese. If a child has not read or speak enough, writing is going to be a big struggle.

mumusings, snowball32 and Tamarind

Yes, Sabrina's crazy over e story books, she could cry bc of no reading time for her due to her eyes sight problem. her degree now R650 L600.
uncontrollable
sad.gif
totally is a bookworm.

Aiyo !The problem is she totally didn't even with me at all about the meaning ,that is worry me. one side i feel that is amazing. another side i have doubt ..

S also create her own story.. but all about her unicorn world, magic power.. totally in her magic world.
S now writing the topic like, my favourite toys, My favourite sports, my favourite animals, today write about her learning journey to Botanic Garden.
I was help and also explain it to her about writing.. not just 5 sentences.. she need to link e story by open story, middle part and also ending. (she has no problem on grammar, sentences and spelling) I have give her some clues. Then she will write on her own.

I haven start S on chinese creative writing yet.. do u think I shd start her at P1 ?
She could read chinese long novels.

hello there everyone! hope you all still remembers me ... wow still alot familiar names ... it's nice to see familiar & friendly names ...

hope to be able to drop by here more frequently now cuz I'm quitting my job.
Yep decided to be SAHM ... so can focus more on my children, well it's about time.

hi mummies
i have been using a dryer since i got married. in order to save $$ while using dryer, i notmally air dry my clothes then put into dryer for about 5 to 10 mins. My bills are around $95- $140(max? or less) for a 4 rm flat

wow still same old topic .... our children's education .... that is why i've decided to quit my job ...haiz ... knowing that our family income will be reduced by half
sad.gif
but it will still be enough, well enough to get by ... for our basic needs, home, transportation(car), food & education ... no more random shopping & cut backs on travelling trips, movies and eating out
sad.gif

but I get to spend MORE QUALITY TIME with my children and more close monitoring & supervising on their education ...yeeeyyyyy :D

Dryer, wanna get one too but my kitchen balcony is too small
sad.gif
btw, will the hot air dryer damage the clothes?

precious gem, congrats on ur new decision!
happy.gif

now that u r SAHM..can always try to catch the sun.. ahhaha.. me very thick skin..hanging clothes outside the walking corridor... (we got a part of the walking corridor which will usually not get wet if it trains)

precious_gem,
Glad to see you back. You started this thread in 2007 ! Time flies. Over the years, many mommies came to this thread and left. You are one who has never forgotten this thread
happy.gif

We need to check the washing instruction on every piece of clothing before putting it in the dryer. The hot air does not damage the the clothes, but some clothes will shrink.

sharon,
If a child is reading very well in a language, then she is ready to write. For Chinese, my advise is to get her a dictionary and train her to find words on her own.

precious gem

do note that those glittery stones found on clothes may also melt if the heat is too intense. my kids' socks with anti-slip soles sometimes get stuck becos the rubber portion melted a little.

Back