Any Mommies in mid-late 30s or over 40 with small children?

juz me
happy.gif

Location, Location, Location.

1)Must be easily accessible, by public tpt, near to MRT or LRT or lots of buses at the nearby bus stop and not just One feeder service, near to main road so means easy to hail for taxis.

2)Near to amenities especially grocery shops (market or supermarket or minimart) and eateries especially those 24 hrs and clinics.

3)Bonus ~ Other amenities; childcare, schools, playground, sports complexes & public swimming pools, good floor plan layout(of unit)and location of unit, nice landscaping around the area, clean area.

All these I feel are important especially in making life on day to day basis easier and when the time comes for you to sell the unit in the future, it would be a good selling point.

Well that's my criteria in buying a flat.

Morris Allen , did u know that he was my teacher in secondary school? I didn't expect him to stay this long. His first year was with our school, Anderson Secondary School on stevens road at that time, and that was almost 30 years ago. I was in Anderson from 1981-1984 and I think his first year teaching in Singapore was when he taught me in sec 3, so should be in 1983. He was a bachelor then, so I guess that's why it's easier for him to decide to stay longer here. He was a strict teacher but with a good sense of humour, as I remembered. Another thing I remember is, he always has sweaty armpits, well it showed on his shirt!

Leereiner,
Wow girl, u must be something. Not only are u able to live with ur PIL, but also a SIL & BIL. Well it's good that u r able to adjust and close two eyes ... just one question. If u go out on family outings eg like dinner or taking kids out or holiday, do u take PIL,SIL & BIL too?

styloBB
No, I didn't give her crocodile meat although I have the recipe. After taking the cactus extract, she seems to have recovered well with no asthma occurance in a whole year so the pd certify her asthma free.

Joy747
Most of the time, I search the internet for info or buy the compo guidebook in the market. I am not accepting any students for CW at the moment. I may be taking a short course on dyslexic studies. Perhaps to help your child to improve contents skills, you can encourage her imagination - by playing or role play (S&D). Read different genre of books and magazines so that she can borrow ideas from them. Get ideas from her own life experiences or people around her. I get my dd to learn to observe people around her, their mannerisms and facial expressions, events and we discuss about it, hopefully these may give her more ideas in her writing. Encourage your child to write journals or have a diary.

Don't think Born Genius have a website. Perhaps you can call them at tel. 67336432. Their office is at Far East Shopping Ctr, Orchard Rd.

Hi MioPio

Thanks for the valuable info.I will just work on it.Should I still fail, I will try to attend CW course myself and coach her from there.....

MioPio,
Thanks for the tip about the piano rental
happy.gif

My boy also used the inhaler for a short while, but it was not effective at all. The nebulizer is very effective for him, he only had to use it for 2 or 3 days, then he would completely recover. But then when he went back to school, he would get infected easily.

Did your girl take Singulair ? It worked very well to prevent coughs for my boy, but it has bad side effects. My boy is normally happy and sweet tempered at home, after taking Singulair, he became very terrible, screamed and cried for no reason. Once we stopped giving him Singulair, he was a darling again. I wonder if other kids also have this type of side effects.

Thanks for your good tips about creative writing. I also try to encourage my kids to imagine. Yesterday I thought them to imagine what happens when the Tyrannosaurus comes into their classroom. I said the Tyrannosaurus can eat 5 girls, my girl Chloe immediately said NO, NO, eat the boys first hahaha

Joy747,
I think 96 marks is very high ! The standard of your girl's primary school is very high ? Her other classmates also do very well ?

sleepy,
I have an old Casio electronic musical keyboard, will see if I can make use of that. May be I can use that to test whether my kids have the interest or not. First I need to find a good private piano teacher !

styloBB,
We have to do total 40 weeks, 20 weeks in 2008, 20 weeks in 2009. Since I take turns with my hubby, it works out to 10 half days in one year, or 5 days per person, quite OK. No choice lor, I don't like to take the chance to ballot for schools.

My hubby has been putting in effort to bond with the kids. I think my kids want both Daddy and Mommy equally. When I asked Chloe whether she likes Daddy or Mommy more, she said "the same". She knows how to be diplomatic hehehe When I asked Jerome, he thought for a long time, then ran away without answering the question.

I am not sure whether first borns tend to be faster and more independent. I am the second born child mah. My mother said that I was very easy to raise compared to my elder brother
happy.gif

Is jesse developing faster compared to your girls ?

Thanks for your tip about the shop at Tanglin Mall. I went there yesterday and found what I wanted, the Playmobil Amphibian Vehicle with Deinonychus
happy.gif
which is what Jerome wants.

Leeriner,
I haven't sent my girl to Morris Allen yet. I am still considering, also asking around for feedback
happy.gif

Hi Tam

Nice to see you here in the morning.

English
I think highest is 97 and she is from Taonan.Highest in whole standard is 97.Most of her classmates scored around band 1 and handful band2

Inhaler
My boy has similar problems like yours.Super cranky when on inhaler or western medicine.So, I have to turn to TMC.Not sure how will it be when he goes to preschool.So far he has been going everywhere and anywhere.

Joy747,
Are you working today ? I am in the office, that's why I have time to post here
happy.gif
I can go off in the afternoon.

Any plans for Chrismas eve ?

I have heard that Taonan standard is very high. Do you find it very stressful.

hi precious gem,

ya... we often have dinner outside, or outings sort of things as a whole family... PIL, younger SIL & BIL, and hubby's elder sis's family.... hubby and me will be the one who are eating/ "mini pak tor time" and my girl will be well taken care by younger SIL & BIL ones... even PIL will run after my girl... "xin fu" leh!!! hee!!! coz of these, me gotta close 2 eyes... what's more to expect, rite? Ya even my younger SIL's bf will join us... incl taking care of my girl...

HI Tam,
oic... but do feedback on morris allen if ur girl is in there... or you have any to share, okie? thanks.

Joy747,
What is TMC ? You mean traditional chinese medicine ?

Leereiner,
I will most likely bring her for a trial class. Will let you know
happy.gif

hmmmm... find my posting out of place in this thread leh... when scroll up, talking about piano, pri sch, creative writing sort of things leh...

my girl is still young @ 2-1/2 yr so nothing much to talk about leh... sent her to JG for 1yr only... coz me will deliver #2 in apr'09 and hubby doesnt wanna to accompany her in the class... so decide to stop her lor... and me is very tired with this #2, totally different when me had #1.... sianz....

Tam

I am a sahm.I guess for stress level, it really depends on how one manage it on the kids and also depends on what is the expectation of a child.

This year, quite interesting, as she is in the top class and the competition is very keen.Good for her as in the sense that it makes her work hard.Or will be too contented and think she is always the top.

For xmas eve, we have a small family feast.

You are right about TMC.Son has been with tuina since few months old.

Leereiner
My son is 3 years 4mths.I never send him to any playschool but just keep talking to him and teach him.

me in office too, till 1pm.... did think to be sahm.... but dont think me can make it lah - the mental side... hmmmm... me is btc mummy lor... really dont know how to teach... do my best to read to her every nites, wanna make her loves book, loves to read.... me enjoyed the JG class leh so was my gal (erm... no rejection of her not to go for all lessons lor so take it as she's okie...) so gotten depends on outside classes....

hi Leereiner,

so who will pay for dinner? in the house, who pays for groceries? Does your hb give allowance to your PIL?

Leereiner,

wat is JG?

my eldest is 5yo, K2 next year. my 2nd, gal, is 2y8mths old, shd be same age as your daughter. i've a bb, 4 mths old today.

bb's cut is dropping, i'm also shedding lots of hair. i've cut my hair short now and today, i've cut bb's hair too to very short. he is quite good looking with almost an almost botak look! very cute!

going to work 26... sian... lots of work as going to close the year liao..

precious, hope your mil... is feeling betta. lots of post, very blur now... anyway, welcome back!
merry x'mas and happy holidays!

Tamarind
Same here. My dd fell sick again as soon as she returned to her kindy - a secondary flu infection triggering another asthma episode. She would be absent from school for the whole week. She have Singulair but didn't have any side effects except for the Ventolin which made her alittle hyperactive.

It is really wonderful that you are helping your children to develop their imagination power which will be invaluable to them. Just to share one of the way I encouraged my dd to write, that is, each of us have a mailbox (made from tissue box and creatively decorated by ourselves). One will be addressed to her and the other to me. She enjoyed writing and drew pictures to put into my mailbox and likewise I did the same for her. I think young kids are excited to receive mails like us adults. Now my dd tends to speak English in Chinese sentence structure. I am uncertain if it is the influence from schoolmates or confusion being bilingual. I have to remind her that how she speak or express herself is going to be how she writes. If she wants to be understood, then she must speak English clearly in their proper sentence structure.

hi rona,

dinner will be equally split among 3 of them, my hubby, elder n younger sis... younger bro is not incl coz he's in U. my hubby gives allowances to PIL so are the SILs. this monies will incl household goceries, bills.... me gave them, but got rejected so give them on CYN.

JG is julia gabriel... my gal attended the forum shopping ctr one...

Hi Mummies
Wah so many postings...don't know where to start.. I wanna take a nap now, I jogged at 6.30am today... everyone has KO liao...

miopio/joyful
I still don't know what is CW???? creative writing?? My guess lah...hehe

reiner
Threadless t = material for the kids is great! For mine, it's slightly thinner, not too bad either...

Postings - it's ok lah, we are all sharing different topics....

tam
Wow, glad you found what you were looking for! That shop is one of the few that has a lot of playmobil big sets....

fairyprincess
Did you go KL???

rona
I shud not be too bz as our workload gets less at year end... I am only back to work on 30, then wl be on leave till 6 Jan!!!

But I find these few days on leave, not v good for my wallet... cos have been shopping.... oh oh...

stylo,

growing fun at centrepoint is moving out, there's a clearance sale now on until 27 Dec. I also like the toys there so you better go grab whatever is suitable during this time!

Hi Mummies
Many ppl are on leave, Wheelock Place is crowded... went to get the 50% discounted calendar and 25% discounted DVDs...

My kids had a field day this morning unwrapping their presents, so much so that jesse said he wl stay home to play with his toys while hb/I brot the twins out...hahaha...
After Border's we went Tekka Market to eat the yummy chix briyani, and get the vegetables from the famous vege stall, Chua's...

Could not get a clear pic of the threadless tee's...

reiner, very good. everyone contributes. for our case, its us. my sil & her hb just sat there and wait for us to pay and never contribute. still expect me to pay for her grocery when we happen to go supermarkets. note that we don't stay with sil & family.

Arrrgggghhhhh!

miopio,
I love your idea about the mailboxes ! I wanted to ask my girl to write letters and send to her younger cousin, but that is quite troublesome :p I also ask my girl to write small notes to remind mommy to do certain things
happy.gif
I tell her that mommy is very forgetful.

It is probably the school environment. We have no control over there. 1 year ago, my girl used to pronounce all the "t"s when she was reading from a book. After one year at her PCF kindergarten, "want" becomes "wan" and all the "t"s are gone. That's why I thought of sending her to Morris Allen to learn from the native speakers.

styloBB,
The big sets are very nice but so expensive ! I buy the small sets only
happy.gif

I will try ordering from threadless T next time
happy.gif

rona,
I am also on leave at home today, will be back at work next Monday. I find that I am more busy at home than at work. At home I am always disturbed by the kids. I really want to go and watch the movie "Australia", but I still cannot find the time to go. I can't bring the kids but they want to follow me whenever I go out.

haha! i also wanna watch Australia... but not easy, cos Jerold still wanna be fed at abt 3.30am... and before that, i got to get arnold to read a bit, he's having too many holidays and parties, that we have not been reading much.

my kids are speaking singlish... :p

rona,
Do you need to feed Jerold every night at 3:30am ? Isn't it very tiring the next morning when you go to work ?

Actually I never breastfed my kids because I had blocked milk ducts. My kids were bottle fed since birth.

I also speak singlish normally with my hubby, I must really make an effort to speak proper english in front of the kids. Another problem is that they spend time with my Indonesian maid then with me
sad.gif

Hopefully we can sneak out tonight after the kids are asleep to watch the movie :p

hi tam,
yes, he usually will feed again at 3.30am... cos his last feed is at around 10pm. then he will wake up again for milk around 6.30am, but after that, will not take milk until 10.30am... and after that feed, he will usually take milk at 3hr interval. He is still not drinking much per feed, but he makes it up by having more feeds. And to answer your other question, yes, pretty tiring... and i still need to express cos i'm producing quite a lot of milk (so my older kids are taking the breastmilk as well!). Last nite while i'm was pumping, i calculated my time - morning 8am - 7pm i will be on the road, send Sheryl to childcare, then go to work, then pick her up and goes home. then i spend about 4hrs a day expressing milk. and i still need to spend time eating and taking shower, then i need to spend some time with the kids... so its 11hrs+4hrs+2hrs=17hrs. if i spend about 2hrs with kids, i would have use up 19hrs a day. which means i will only have 5hrs a day to sleep. and if i need to do marketing... can only do so on weekends. no wonder i'm so tired. i suspect that my thyroid problem is a result of too little rest.

Do you know that TMC lactation consultant will try to clear your blocked milk ducts using needles? i heard they will try to prick open the milk ducts. during arnold's time, i had lots of milk and don't know how to manage so always have clogs and blocks. so i went to the lactation consultant... they helped me clear my clogs. but luckily i don't have blocked milk ducts, cannot imagine the pain. having clogs is already very very painful. I had fever several times due to it.

yes, so now trying to speak better english with the kids. don't want them to speak like ah lian ah beng also.

i hope i can watch it on sat nite. will try to ask my maid to watch the kids then i will take over when i come back. see how. tell me about it if you managed to catch the movie tonite.

Tamarind
I can understand because my dd was also bottle fed since birth as I have problems with my milk ducts too. Sometimes I still feel sad and guilty that I could not give more (the benefits of breast milk) to my child.

Do take note of 'th' 'TH' sounds too. Most kids read 'the' but sounds like 'der'; 'Thank you' becomes 'Tank you'.

rona,
You are a very tough mommy to do all that ! I really admire you. I will fall sick if I sleep only 5 hours everyday. My mother knew that I could not take that kind of hardship, so she helped me with all the night feedings when I work. I haven't done much for my kids when they were babies
sad.gif

This is the first time I heard that milk ducts can be cleared by needles ! I gave birth to chloe at KKH. When my breasts were engorged and very very painful, the lactation nurse squeezed my breasts really hard to try to clear the ducts. I ended up having blue blacks all over my breasts and even more painful ! I thought nothing can be done. When Jerome was born in SGH, I did not even try to breastfeed.

I am so angry with KKH nurses !!!!!!!!

Hoepfully I can sneak out tonight to watch the movie too
happy.gif

Miopio,
When my girl reads from a book, she will pronounce the "th" sound correctly. But when she speaks in normal conversation, "th" sounds like "der"
sad.gif

I also felt guilty about not being able to give breast milk
sad.gif

Hi Mummies
How is the break so far?
I went jogging early morning these three days.

Had a very nice day today - we went cycling at Pasir Ris! Hb and I took a gal each at the back of the bike, while jesse rode on his track bike. At first I was a bit jittery as it is the first time I had a 'passenger' with me... but it was ok once I found my balance.
Must say jesse was good in that he cycled for 45 mins on his bike and was able to turn here and there w/o falling off! He was even faster than me at some point!
All in all, a very nice family time, I feel.

rona
Chua's sells vegetables, the usual stuff plus salad like rocket and romaine lettuce.
Anyway we bot the salad mix. Hb cooked American breakfast for me (and also maid lah) this morning, it was nice esp the mushrooms... yummy...

tam
OIC...yes, not cheap... Playmobil.

Threadless - just search for kids $5 ones.. some of the designs are rather nice...

My twins love the trolleys I bot for them, and my brother got them each a doll, so we put the dolls into their shopping trolleys.

Movies - stimes hb/I also go out to watch night movies...hehehe...

rona/tam
Er, I bf jesse directly... he was a good bb in that sense and I didn't suffer much except had blocked ducts twice, and it was him who helped to clear... it was really funny cos I rmbr the moment I put him to me, I could feel the ducts cleared...haha.. even the breast pump didn't help.

For the twins, I expressed.... cos I was not able to latch them properly, their mouths were so small! hahaha... and I kena bitten instead.. .so I just expressed after returning home.. not much milk leh, but whatever I expressed, my maid wud divide by half... hmm....

Australia is three-hour long .... but we don't intend to watch it.

Mummies
Did your kids get a lot of pressies? This year my kids got quite a lot, we have packed about half of them into the storeroom for now, cos we feel no point giving them all at once...

tam
I must say I'm rather proud that I took all the nite feedings for my kids...hehe... when we had the twins, hb and I each designated one bb, whoever cries, the parent in charge wl hv to get up to feed her... it was rather tough esp as my hb was working but we made it!!! None of our mothers took any night feedings.... except rare occasions when we were away (one or twice, I think)... that's why to me NBs mean night feeds (and confinement food) which I'm afraid of...

Good morning all..

Its gonna be another holidays festive...any plan?

StyloBB
Just like you, I do all feedings myself and that is why so tiring...wow, your hubby is really nice to help out.I am also very scared of night feedings...zombie the next day....

Present
My children also get lots of present.I keep away as too much and filled the storeroom.

Movies
What is the show Australia all about?

Cycling
Stylobb.you stay in the east?I wanted to do some cycling too, but upon looking at the sky, I never failed to have second thoughts.

MioPio
Can check with you how long was the creative writing course that you took with Born Genius international?Thanks.

Oh yes, understand your dd school has violin as cca, care to share which school is that?thanks

Tam
Which school are you doing volunteering job?

Hi mummies

joy
No choice leh, otherwise I cannot handle two at nite... hehe...

Nope, I stay in tpy, but we drove to pasir ris... stimes I would wonder how the weather wud be when we reach cos the sky can turn grey... but it was v nice weather yesterday...

tam
The tees....
2020420.jpg

precious gem
Hope you are fine, so are the seniors... no joke when they fall sick.

Flat - It's true re location being an impt factor.... like my place, no need to take feeder buses yet not that near to the busy central....

NY resolution - I think most of us would wanna try to be prudent.

One way we hv read is to save all your coins, each time you buy stuff and get coins back for change, drop them into the kitty can, at the end of the year, see how much you have saved... wanna try??? Anyway we have started doing it...

tam
joyful/miopio - not sure if you also asked me the same qstn.
Whether first borns are faster???

Hmm.... I think they are just good at different things?? but for first borns, maybe they get full attn from parents so they get more 'grooming'..hehe.. in terms of motor skills, jesse is definitely faster than the twins, but I think when nbr 2/3 come along, we tend to be more laxed... and let things take its course... hb is now letting julien try her balancing skills on the pedal-less bike... if comparing with jesse at the same age, he had already been able to balance it easily. And now he can ride his bicycle...

joy
Yeah, I can no longer take night feeds.. hahaha... even now, we are just too bo-chap to train the twins to pee at nite... haiz......

Joy747
Born Genius - 10 wks CW course. Got to submit 4 lesson plans, one practicum in class, weekly written assignments and a written exam at the end of course.

My dd's school is in the NW area. Just an ordinary neighbourhood school. A few schools here also have violin classes in their cca.

styloBB,
guess what? i went to jog just now at tam's school field!!! only 2km jogging and 400m brisk walking but its a start. the sports bra i bought at M&S is very good don't feel the 'tearing' effect under the breast. it's been like a year since i last jog! felt so good about myself!!! hehehee... i have to continue this and not do this once every 4 months.

stylo,
the t-shirts look very nice leh. how much is the shipping charges? all in all, how much do you pay for these?

Tam,
I also heard that KKH nurses are very rude and not service and care orientated. My friend's very own experience. She overhead one nurse telling one birthing mum... "Wow, you still here? You came before i started my shift and i'm going off my shift now and you are still here? so slow!" i think if its me, i would have hit her...
happy.gif

Joy747,
i also bring my kids for tuina. its the one near kembangan right? Arnold loves it and to him its pure bliss. so once a while i will just bring the kids for tuina even there's nothing wrong with them.

rona
I'm proud of you, way to go, mama!!!

I was up at 6.30am or so the past few days and hb joined me for one morning... I felt fresh the whole day...

Total was USD40 (inclu of USD15) so each t is USD8.. .it was our first time ordering so didn't want to order too much as not sure of the sizing but it worked well in the end... wl be more worth it to order more...

rona,
The worst nurse I encountered was the lactation nurse, after squeezing my breasts very hard, she asked "Is it more painful than giving birth ?" So unsympathetic !

styloBB,
Sounds like you have a great time in Pasir Ris. I brought Chloe there to ride on the pony before.

Instead of cupcakes, we bake cookies. Here's the photo of our cookies. These cookies don't taste as good as those cookies from the supermarket, but the kids like to eat them because they help to cut out the cookies from the dough using cookie cutters.

2021570.jpg

Chloe's motor skills are also far more advanced than Jerome at the same age. We sent her to the Little Gym for one whole year, so her gross motor skills are good. But I don't remember training her fine motor skills, except may be that my mother let her pick red beans and cut cabbage leaves.

Now I don't have the time to bring Jerome to the Little Gym
sad.gif
We have lots of toys for him to practice his fine motor skills at home. But he still cannot scoop up all the rice from a bowl without any spilling.

Good idea about saving all the coins. I will go find a cute piggy bank for myself
happy.gif

The tees look very nice ! Thanks for sharing.

Joy747,
We are doing PV for West Grove, the best choice within 1 km of our flat.

Australia stars Nicole Kidman and Hugh Jackman. Copied this from the internet:

"Australia" is an epic and romantic action adventure, set in that country on the explosive brink of World War II. In it, an English aristocrat (Nicole Kidman) travels to the faraway continent, where she meets a rough-hewn local (Hugh Jackman) and reluctantly agrees to join forces with him to save the land she inherited. Together, they embark upon a transforming journey across hundreds of miles of the world's most beautiful yet unforgiving terrain, only to still face the bombing of the city of Darwin by the Japanese forces that attacked Pearl Harbor. With his new film, Luhrmann is painting on a vast canvas, creating a cinematic experience that brings together romance, drama, adventure and spectacle.

I have a weakness for romantic love stories.

styloBB, Joy747,
You are really very tough to be able to do night feedings. How long do you have to do night feedings ? Chloe had night feedings until she was about 10 months old, because she had serious reflux and kept vomiting milk during the day. Jerome had night feedings only until 3 months old.

Good morning all, so nice to see this thread getting more and more alive....

Tam
West grove is quite a good school in the west.My cousin kids are there.

Night feeding
Stylobb and Tam, I will never want to go thr it anymore.My dd had it more than a year and boy think less than that.
Tam, must be tough on you when chloe had this problem when young.I heard many cases like this before and they went tuina.
Tuina
Rona, I go there weekly and will be there after this email.I send him more for "insurance"purpose...

Cookies
Tam, nice cookie, bet you have a great bonding time with your children.I used to do this with my children, but I really let them eat cookies as they are very heaty base, so I even stopped making cupcake

Jogging
rona, well done!Where is the stadium?I cycle to east coast yesterday.

Miopio
Thanks for the info.I am still struggling and trying to expand my girl creative writing as far as I can.Do you know of any online site that correct writing?

Do you think its a good idea, I send my girl to the CW course, than me going through it?Me chicken out...

Have a nice day all....any plan for New year eve?

stylo,
maybe next time you can include my orders? then we can start a mini spree. my tees are really old ones and free ones that i got from big walks etc etc, so you can imagine how unglam i am. decided to spruce up a bit... old already must still keep trying to look good, hahaha!

I've been saving my coins - putting away all the $1 coin since 5 years back. now i took out from the piggy bank, stacked and rolled them in $10 per stack. and i think i have more than $100. that doesn't include the ones i put into the kids' piggy banks. i think arnold is now richer then me.

Back