Any gyne to recommend for incompetent cervix?

Hi Seah
Yap, I am seeing Dr Han at TPS and he will scan and let me hear Bb heartbeat at every visit. For the DS scan, it will be done by doctors from the High Risk Dept. I stay in B1 cls and i think i took the premium package where Dr Han will do everything for me.

chloe

thanks for your info so you took the 2 bedded ward. Will there be alot of price difference if i were to take the A1 ward and the premium package at TPS?

How much did you pay in total including medisave for your package and hospital stay?

BB Tamago
The test is in NUH . ya if only the gynae can assess me having IC after my preterm 1st bb and made careful check then i will not have MC for my 2nd bb.

Seah,
B1 is 4 bedded. Not sure about the cost difference. Inital payment is $870 and medisave is $1362. But they refund me about $200plus as i only stay for one day. No Epi or induction pill use. It wil also depend if you will be going to OT to remove the cerclage. My cerclage was remove in the delivery ward as my cervix have already dilated by 4cm but for my twin sister case her cerclage was remove in OT during 36wks gestation as her cerclage has not dilated yet.

If you are going to change gynae is best that you tell him all your medical history.

<font color="0000ff">Ling Ling</font>
For me I am really lucky. I have accurate menses so I know exactly when I am ovulating One try kenna.

dear gals,

been readng the archives and would like yr advice, now in 16 weeks, admitted due to pre term contractions and bleeding from placenta, cervix scan last week was 3.1cm, a week later, shortened to 2.7cm.

am now waiting for doctor's review, wondering if shortening of cervix = IC, and need for clerlage, can anyone help advice?

also i read somewhere that clerlage is not advised if there is bleeding/discharge or contractions ongoing, did any of you went ahead with clerlage depsite the above conditions?

any info appreciated as we conceived only after 4 years of IVF treatments, and previously lost 2 babies to early miscarriage &amp; ectopic.

Hi Babymaking,
Not sure if shortening of cervix is = IC. But think the doctor will advise you to go for it if suitable. I have an emergency cerclage for my first pregnancy and i was still having bleeding then. They will usually wait for your condition to stablised before they go ahead with cerclage.I was monitor for 3 days before my cerclage was done Dun think they will do it for you if you are still having contraction cause cerclage might trigger more contraction and causing cervix to dilate faster.

After cerclage, medication will be given to prevent contraction and infection.

Babymaking, try to rest more and walk lesser. Think your gynae will order bedrest for u. I was on complete bedrest for my first pregnancy. Take Care. Are you with KKH? Cause in KKH they will assign a team from the high-risk dept to look after you.

Let me share my story, I just gave birth to a premature baby in my 18th week of pregnancy on the 10 Jan 2009. I was later diagnosed with shorter cervix. I was bleeding when I went into the hospital. I was told that the dilation looks like 50cent coin. He has to put me on drip to prevent contraction and that night I was sleeping with my leg much higher than my high hoping that by gravity that baby can flow back so that he can stitch me the next day. However, the baby did not flow back but went even lower. There is no way but to send me to theater to remove the baby. Once the doctor stepped out of the room, contractions came and after 5 to 6 times of contraction I gave birth to the baby on my bed. It happened too fast that I did not know what to do. The pain is so unbearable.
The doctor found no infection when he washed me up and was told that I have shorter cervix. In future he will have to stitch me real soon and will have to bed rest.
How soon you start trying? how soon have you waited to be pregnant again? I m getting real impatience.

chloegal,

thks for reply. a 3rd scan showed that the cervix returned to 3.1cm, dun know whether the 2nd scan was a operator error or what...however still have unexplained bleeding, so gynae advise bedrest from now till delivery - going craxy with the lack of activity.

how did you cope with complete bedrest in yr 1st pregnancy?

<font color="0000ff">babymaking</font>
I hope you get to find out the cause of your bleeding soon. Seriously you need to bedrest. Take care.

<font color="0000ff">Ling</font>
Sorry to hear about what had happened to you. Thanks for sharing.

hi all first time posting.. i oso have a short cervix 2cm and was admitted 5 weeks ago for preterm contractions..when i was week 26

was put on bed rest since and will be until delivery.

Another few more days will be week 32.. anybody who did not have a cerclage gave birth full term?

babymaking, i can understand how u feel cos after 5 weeks of bed rest with the first 3 weeks in hospital, i have to constantly remind myself to be focused. Its very difficult i must say especially everyone is working and you are not.. and colleauges usually dont understand de.

i spent my day checking email, blogging if i have the mood, chat on msn, watch tv, talk to baby and sleep and eat and sleep. will start scrapbooking later on in the weeks...

babymaking
How are you doing now? Hope you are still doing fine. I did nothing when i was on bedrest except reading maginze and listen to mp3. No TV for me as i was in hospital. The TV is outside the wards. Sometime dun even have to moods to do any things just stare at the 4 walls, so sad... but no choice have to endure..

Hi Chloegal,
Thanks for sharing this Thread. Like Ling, I had given birth to a premature baby in my 22 wk of pregnancy last tuesday(12 May). Dr saw me yesterday and said there is nothing wrong with my Uterus or any causes. The miscarriage happen way too fast in my case ( within 20 mins) hence no time for any reaction or helps to save the baby. No infection too. He also didn't rule out Incompetent cervix. He advised me to recover well and be strong. Will re-check / assess after 6 wks. His advise is to try soon.

How long do you wait to try again... I'm happy to TTC but scare as well. Will it be too soon?

Hi Chewy,
I have an emergency done when i was 22 wks, At that time i was 4cm dilated. I manage to keep my son till 25wks before he was born. He is now 4yrs old.
Heed your doctor advise, if he think you shall try again soon then go ahead. He should know your condition best. Some ppl say that it is easier to get conceive within 6 mths after miscarriage but now most important is to nurse your body first until your gynae give you the green light to go ahead. Take Care

Thx Chloegal,

I know you have two other girls after your boy. May I know if you have the cerlrage done as well. If yes, which weeks?

I'm trying to move on as well ... it's been hard last week but it's getting better. So will wait and see what the Dr said at the next appt I will need to be mentally prepare as well. For the last pregnancy, I was resting at home since 1st trimester. So I'm not sure about getting pregnant again or what's next...

Yap. both also have an early cerclage done at 12wks. After the cerclage was given 3 wks of MCs after that i went back to work as per normal.

Hi all,

Great that I found this thread and has read all your past posts in IC.

I'm in my 22weeks and just had my detailed scan done on Tue. From the scan, dr found out that my cervic is shortening. It is only 2.2cm but luckily no funneling yet when he did a V examination.

I was ordered immediate bedrest anf stop work. The dr didnt recommend cerclage as he mebtioned that cerclage is only performed if the cervix length is less than 1.5cm.

I'm very worried as my cervix has shortened pretty fast from the last 10 weeks. When I did my 1st trimester genetic scan, cervix length was still healthy at 4.3cm. Then detailed scan at 22wks showed only 2.2cm. Not sure if it'll be too late to stitch up when cervic become 1.5cm. Also i think at 22wks, it is rather risky to perform cerclage right??

Dunno wat to do now. If this thread is still active, can anybody advise pls? Thanks.

Oh yes, when i had my son in 2007, same thing happened but at a much later stage @30wks. I wasnt so worried then becos i was in my last trimester already. However this time round, i'm v worried cos i'm still early at 22wks and i read that 22-28wks is the most crucial stage for IC. I delivered my son @ 36+6wks n dilation occurred without any syptoms.
I was doing my routine weekly check n dr realised i was 3cm dilated. That's the problem with IC, dilation occurs without any symptoms. Scary!

Hi serene,

Maybe you might want to voice your concern to your gynae. The result of the cerclage will not be very effective if the cervix has already dilated.

Hi Ethan_mum, U will not know if you have incompetence Cervix only after your first pregnancy as the cervix will dilate without any pain or symptom.

Chloegal,
Yes, my experience was no pain no symptom, it's just dilate itself till I felt my water bag membrane... It was really scary....

Mine was already 4cm dilated but luckily it did not dilated further and an emergency cerclage was done to save my son. Times really flies and my son is going primary one next year.

Yap, i must say i am really really very lucky. My sis not that lucky, she lost her first at 18 wks due to incompetence cervix too. But now she also have two great kids with her.

Hi all, not sure if tis thread still active.

I mc once in 2008, manage to give birth to a gal in 2010. Later feel like giving her a sibling, ttc and had 3 mc (in a yr). The first two I lost in early tri, last lost in 22 weeks (last weeks) due to incompetence cervix.

I like to ask is it a need to have total bed rest for the entire pregnancy for IC? And is it a difficult pregnancy? I really wanted to have another baby but I've no confident at all. Feel sucks that its my body weak that I can't keep my baby.

How long did u gals start to conceive aft ur mc? Some ppl tell me not to start so early, muz bu body back. But my gynae say its ok to start once ur mens is back. But my colleague say oth wise, ask to wait another 3 mths.

At first I think it's juz the choronological(donno how to spell) problem that I mc. Now I start to believe that I'm very weak thus unable to keep the baby in me.

However I'm very happy to read about ur stories. Tat so many babies are born healthily even with IC.

Anyone still checking this thread?
I've incompetent cervix n am dilated at 2cm at 31weeks.. Been on full hospitalization bed rest since last week n think I might have to be here for at least another 3 weeks or earlier if my cervix gives way
sad.gif

Anyone on bedrest too ?

Been through that for my last child.

Enjoy your rest. Will be busy busy when baby arrives.

Learn not to fret but to be at at Rest. Have a blessed pregnancy and birth!

Jia you!

Hi ladies, I have read abt cervix incompetence and is quite worried abt it. Am currently carrying twins in wk 16 n not sure of my cervix condition. I had mc at wk 8 in 2009 without d&c as bb discharge itself at toilet bowl.
My current pregnancy is conceived through ivf.
I am with kkh clinic C n not sure if any of u were with kkh b4. Does the kkh dr chk on cervix or we have to request ourselves? How do they do it is it through V scan or digital chk using finger to feel?
Is it a day surgery for stitching? May I know the cost?
Please kindly advise. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hi all,
I know this thread is from 2006.. But..
I'm 20 weeks now with 2cm of cervical length and doctor have put me on muscle relaxer, progesterone injection and pills.
But I am really worried.. I read all your stories, I believe U all understand the kind of feeling I am having now. I want to be with a strong Gynae who knows what to do...
Anyone with recommendation with Gynae that is still in kkh?

First of all, a ton of thanks to the ladies who initiated and contributed to this thread many many years ago. I had to undergo a cervical cerclage earlier this year. Previously I have suffered a miscarriage. So both I and my husband were extremely scared about the process. And this thread was so useful for me. I read all the 11-12 pages of all your posts 2-3 times. It gave me not just information about the cerclage procedure and what to expect/do but more importantly it gave me hope and strength when I really needed it! So Thank you very much for sharing your experiences!! Even so many years later it's helping ladies like me!!

I would like to share my experience as well in an attempt to add more recent experience to this very useful thread. I got a cerclage done this year at KK.

As mentioned before, mine was quite a complicated and high-risk case because of previous miscarriage and another surgery. Needless to say I was very nervous and emotional for the entire pregnancy. But in the end, with God's grace I was able to carry the pregnancy to full term. I was very lucky to have found a great doctor who saw me through the ups and downs of this pregnancy. She not only diagnosed cervical incompetence in time, but also took the right decisions and gave us right guidance when we were confused, which is key for ladies who dont have a normal straight-forward pregnancy. Both the cerclage procedure and C-section were done at KK hospital under Dr J M Lee (Dr Lee Jiah Min). My cerclage procedure was very similar to what is mentioned in the earlier pages on this post. However if anybody researching about cerclage/high risk pregnancy thinks my experience can help them, I'll be happy to share more details. But in short, I highly recommend KK hospital and Dr JM Lee for these issues, and stay strong and positive, and take bed-rest as recommended by the doctor!!

Back