Any comments on Montessori for Children

Wei Lin n Funny, let's arrange a day to go together to visit Marymount. Think the reg is either in Feb or March. Maybe I will go during his time at Ykidz, so I dun have to tag my boy along. Let me noe if it will be too early for you all.
Yes Baker road kindy definitely more new n nicer than marymount. Marymount is old.

Sally,
hi! have you went for the Zoophonics trial yet?

RE: Marymount
I read from moe website that it's under PCF, and not a private kindy?

Sally,

no problem for me. Let's choose a date. But it will be after my trip, that's 29th Jan onwards.

Ykdz is charging me $190 for the transport and the pick up pt is 7.25. It's too early and not worth to take the transport. Anyway have spoken to my sil. She will drive her there and see how it goes. Will probably try the 3 times per week first.

You have been to baker kindy before ?

Weilin,

The program of the ECC goes like this,

1) Eye Training
2) Image Training
3) Aural Training
4) Guessing game
5) Spot the difference
6) can't rem what's is called. it's like give you a picture and try to spot the hidden objects like it shapes like a banana, ice-cream, pudding on a plate.

It's an hour class. I dun have chance to talk to the Consultant cos rushing to go somewhere.

Btw you know what is the fee at baker road ?

Hi rihini,

What's the meaning of PCF ?

Welin,

Forget to mention, at the end of the lesson, there will be worksheets given to practise at home.

Sally, Weilin,

My trip has been cancelled. so can planned which day you want to look see marymount kindy.

If I want to look see baker road kindy, do i need to call and make apptment ?

yup Wei Lin, Marymount kindy is from 2.5yrs onwards.

Wow Funny, not worth the school bus fee.... hope your SIL can send n pick her up. When u intend to start?

No I din go to Barker road kindy.

Rihini, no din go for the trial cos decided not to sign up already as I went to enquire n the lady at reception told me no need to continue for my boy since he had already pick up zoophonics. N now he is in montessori playgroup, no point for him to take zoophonics.

Wei Lin, so u wan to join me n Funny to see Marymount Kindy?

Funny, any date u looking at? Let me noe so I can call to arrange.

Have you all considered Zion Church Kindergarten at Bishan, since you are looking for kindy in this area?

How about those at Yio Chu Kang Rd, like Kinderland, Canann Kindergarten, Brain Buttons Kindergarten and Chatsworth Kindergarten? Any idea how good and costly these are?

Sally,

my trip has been postphoned. u want to go this month or next month ? do you want to see baker road kindy at the same time ?

my sil will get back to me when she is convenient to start.

hi chenoa,

we are also started look see for kindy. So far i have not gone to those that you mentioned. I have heard of Kinderland at YCK, but not sure how is it.

Funny, PCF stands for PAP Community Foundation.

Sally, oic. thanks. your boy seems to be coping well at Ykidz yah? And you have cio Funny and her sil to put their children there too! Must be a good place.
happy.gif
then, can request for referral rebate yah?

Funny, I dun mind to see the barker road too. I will call marymount kindy tomolo to see when can go n see n let u noe.

rihini, I more keen to have familiar kids to be same class as my boy so I more fang xin who he will be with mah......... that is why I cio Funny's gal. Heehee..... me not so keen on rebate lah... maybe I ask Annie if got alot join after my boy........ hahaha......

Gals, what are the essential / important questions to ask when enquiring about the playgroups? And how to compare which is better, esp if the programme/cirriculum is different?

Hi rihini,

for me, this are the few points i look for :

1) ratio of teachers to children
2) observe the children behaviour ( do they look happy and attentive to the teacher )
3) program sometimes is abit difficult to compare. so all depends what you want to emphasize. like more music, art and craft etc.
4) for me location is imptt.

Hope this helps. BTW how old is your child ? Mine is 21 months old. are you looking for playgroups too ? once a week ? where do you stay ?
Sorri, kpo, ask so many questions.

weilin,

how you come to know this kindy ?
i am the worst. i have the least info on all the kindy..hee..hee..
is Ashley in JG now ?

Funny,
I stay at P. Ris. My child 9 mos only. Actually was kpo finding out for my sil but she has put niece at Appletree already, but I also at the same time want to learn also and narrow down my future options. haha...like so kiasu hor?

rihini,

actually not kiasu. it's good to do some homework so that when times come, u do what to look out for. some so call good playgroups or kindy have to book in advance cos their waiting list is so long. I have heard pple started registering when the bb just born...

Funny: My gal is not called Ashley. =)

She has started JG for 2 wks liao.

I got to know abt ascension coz I passed by this place every morning, on my way to work.

Weilin,

Sorry weilin. I got mixed up with the names. BTW I m very bad with names.

So far how is it ? yr maid accompany yr gal to JG ? How different are they compared to GUG ? I am stopping GUG next term. Getting very tired of the programe.

Funny: It's ok. Her name is quite close to Ashley anyway. kekeke.....
Ya, maid accompanies my gal to JG. So far, she has attended 4 lessons. I was with her for 1st 2 lessons.
Curriculum at JG Eng Playclub (2hrs):
Freeplay - 20 mins

Tabletop Activities (Normally, there are 2 crafts to do) - 20 mins:
Teachers do a demo before children proceed to do the crafts.

Clean up - 5 mins

Magic box / Story Time / Speech Drama - 15 mins
Magic Box: Introduce the alphabet zoo puppets of the week.
Story-Time: Personally prefer JG's story-time compared to GUG. Teachers are much more dramatic.

Snack Time - 15 mins:
Light snacks are provided. Teaches the child social graces & rituals.

Speech & Drama: Role-playing by teachers with simple playclub bears' costumes. My gal's fav so far. Interesting segment!

Outside Play - 20 mins (Water/Sand/Playgrp):
Like the variety of outdoor games.

Clean up - 5 mins

Music - 20 mins
Sing along sessions with guitar. Fun & lively.

My gal's grp is very small. 5 ppl in the grp only. 3 teachers in the grp. Teachers seem to be more caring. Can see that my gal enjoys the lessons & like the teachers.

Btw, GUG has been calling me! Think they have a slot for me. They kept telling me they hv a long waiting list and may have to wait 1-2 terms. Their marketing strategy.

Hahah.... JG seemed to use the same strategy. But so far, the admin at Evans have been helpful. I like the edu-drama kind of program for my girl. Now, thinking if I should enrol for Mandarin playclub too.

Hi weilin,

Program in JG is quite lively.
Mandarin playclub is just soley mandarin or a mixture of both ? Glad that your gal enjoys it.

Wow Wei Lin, JG prog indeed better than GUG.

Oh I was talking to my fren over the phone, n surprised that she put her kid in Ascension Kindy. She said it was one of the popular ones. N their mandarin foundation very strong, cos she liked me wan to let her kids take mandarin instead of tamil. She asked me to go n check out, as quite near my place too. Now her gal is in sap school.

Funny: Mandarin playclub is solely mandarin,

Sally: The fees are reasonable! Coz Barker Rd is charging $1008 per term for N1 leh. I shall arrange to visit.

If Ascension is ok, I will rather go for Ascension. So much cheaper, yet it's reputable too. Can save $ and use this $ for other enrichment. Keke

Sally,

see you tomolo. Btw you know if I should alight before the G* florist or after if I take a bus there ?

Saw the website you post on the Ascension kindy. They have integrated montessori pgm too. Looks good. Per term means how long har ?

Wow, baker road is soooooo ex. I heard alot of MP children is studying there. I thought of going down to baker after marymount. I might change to view ascension first since baker is so near my house can go anytime. I have called them, They said can go anytime between mon to fri. No need to make appt.

Weilin,

I also think the same way. Save $ for other enrichment pgm. But I think Ascension kindy also not easy to get in. They have phases. I belong to the 3rd phase. Seems like kindy also very competitive.

Sally, Weilin,

Just call the Ascension kindy, they won't allow us to view the kindy yet esp for next year enrolment. Got to wait till end Feb or early Mar when they open for registration then can view the place. Got to constantly check on their website for any updates.

Funny, u should alight at the bus stop in front of the florist, opp the petrol station.

So strange, I called this morning, n the lady said can view, just give a call back n arrange with the principal.

Maybe we should arrange n go down together.

weilin,

yap, the admin sound abit 'dao'.

Sally,

You voice is sweeter har.
may be you should call and arrange. They dun like our 'voice'. Can go tomolo or not ? hee..hee..

How is mummies here ? Long time never chat.

Sally,

my gal starting school this monday. hope everything turns well. now you dun need to go to ykids, how does the teachers communicate to you regarding the progress ?

Weilin,

you say want to have a gathering, till now no news ? how's the SM going on so far ?

Greetings from Bangkok!

Funny:I am on biz trip. Busy lately. SM so far so gd. But I havent been faithfully doing hm practice.

I am visiting Ascension in Mar.

Funny,
they communicate to me thru emails! But I do spotcheck once a week, heehee. Pop in surprise to pick up my boy. Anyway I dun worry so much cos everyday he comes back, he seems to pick up new things learnt in school. He can hum song like "rasa sayang" first line, n the days of week for eg. N his words also increased. So I m pleased overall. N he really loves school.

Wei Lin, let us noe the date u going, I wan to tag along, can? That day I passed by n see the building in a distance. Keen to take a look.

Ya ya when is the meet up huh?

u all read the articles on PCF and private kindy on yesterday? st james kindy sounds so popular that I went to its website to look see. their compound really big and nice, plus the cirriculum looks good. check out their newsletter on the website, u will see.
happy.gif

Hi Rihini,

I briefly read thru one page. They say PCF is picking up with more creative programs. I think that's good.

YOu have the website on St James kindy ?

Weilin,

YOu at bangkok now . I m going to shanghai next week. Sian...so near CNY.

Ascension visit, can i go with you too.

Sally,
my gal today 1st day at school, dun know how she responds.
Btw yesterday submitted the termination letter to GUG. NOt continued anymore. I am very tired of the program. I am dragging myself for the whole 11/2 hours, though my gal quite enjoys it.

Anyone try kindermusik ? Where are the branches they have?

rihini, where is st james? wat is the web?

Funny, my boy sick so no school for him today. Let me noe how your gal copes. Ya lor, me also tired of the GUG prog, thus changed him to Ykidz.

Ya went for the trial before. Onli music lah. not much things to learn.... though my boy enjoys, i din sign up cos like waste money lei to me... u can either join the main one at Tanglin Mall or those pre-schools/enrichment centres where they have... go check out their web www.kindermusik.com.sg

Funny: Already back from BKK. For Ascension, they don't allow visits currently, will only accept visits after they have finalised the dates for registration.

rihini,

how old is your gal now ?
i finally read thru the ST about the pre-school. Dun think all PCF will offer the premium program cos no matter how they need to keep the cost at an affordable price in the short run. i do hear from my colleage that his son in PCF now, the program has changed quite abit. More creative and also no worksheets to bring home.

Sally,

is your boy getting better ? my gal was sick too for the past 2 weeks. The weather is quite bad, sometimes day time is hot and night time is cold.
Have not checked with my sil how's my gal behave in school yet.

Weilin,
you are back! if you have info on the registration date or when Ascension accepts visits, pls let us know. I want to take a look too. I am looking at Pat's school too. Read the web, the cirriculum is good.

hi Mommies,
have been hunting for a pre-school for my girl for ages, yet to find a satisfactory one...wondering if I'm too fussy??

viewed MMI Tampines enrichment center but didn't like the environment. too cramped and run down and seems quite erractic

attended a trial class with another montessori kindergarten
but out of the 3 hours session, only 45 minutes of montessori activities (unstructured, kids just take whatever they want off the rack. I thought there should be sensorial, practical life, etc, so there is structure within the choice). one hour is for snack time & playground (which I find absolute waste of time). the other hour is 2nd language and art & craft. But the Chinese teacher speaks English (sounds more like Singlish) to the kids because she commented that the kids don't understand when she speaks in Chinese (oh my gosh !)

Is this the normal 3 hours programme in any Montesorri class?
Should I give up searching for Montessori school? I don't find it worth paying if that's how they structure it. Disappointing.

Thanks for your feedback & advice.

Hi Hippo

saw one feedback on a montessori school on another thread. the parents seem to be quite satisfied with the school that her child attended. Maybe you can check it out

Sally/Weilin/Funny,
so how's your visits to Barker and Marymount? or St James? Which you decided? don't mind, share your review with me can?
happy.gif

Back