[Advise Needed] - Giving Birth in Australia or Singapore?!?!

nat88

Hello everybody,

I just found out this week that I'm 6 weeks preganant! My hubby and I are thrilled!

Both hubby and I are Singapore Citizens. We are currently living and working in Australia and both of us are Australian PRs. We are in a dilemma as to where we should give birth to our child.

We would like to stay in Australia in the next 3-5 years. I understand that if my child is born in Australia, he/she will automatically become an Australian Citizen as we are PRs. I also understand that if my child is born in Australia, he/she can become Singapore Citizen by descent. My mum and MIL are willing to take turns to stay with me in Aussie for 2 month periods to help me look after my child.

Anyone else also in same situation as us? I would like to hear what are the advantages/disadvantages if my child is born in Singapore. Thanks!

Natalie

Isn't it hard to get the confinement ingredients? Also because of the weather, your child might easily develop eczema, and allergies.

Perhaps you shd ask yourselves some long term plans? Like where would you like to settle down and make it home?

If given a chance, I'd really love to live out of Sg. No doubt Sg is a very safe country to bring up a child, I feel it's too stressful. If ultimately you guys would be coming back to Sg for good, then delivering her might solve or prevent future headaches. But if you plan on living in Aussie, then might as well just give birth there.

Hi Natalie,

I just read your post. Im in quite a similar situation as you. Im in aussie now with my hb who is on sponsored masters studies and we found that Im preggie... now in my 10th week.

After discussion, we have decided tt I will deliver in Aussie, sinc my hb may not be able to return to singapore when Im due. Plus confinement and all.. bb and I would be apart from hb for almost half a year...which we do not want, so You may want to weigh your options.

Coz if you want to deliver in Singapore you have to go back to singapore by 6mths preggie. Are you able to make the necessary arrangements?

You may also want to consider where you are bringing up the kid the next few years.. think if not wrong you may be able to let the kid have dual citizenship till he/she is 18 when he/she has to decide. But of course you may have to check on this.

Plus its good to hear that your mum/mils are willing to come over to help take care of you child.

hi Tokkie,
In Australia, if parents are PR, the child will then be citizen. However, if the parents are not PR, the child is not a citizen.

Kids can have dual citizenship until 18. If it is a boy, and he has dual citizenship, he has to serve out his NS before he can renounce his sg citizenship. So this is one thing you have to consider. ANd you have to consider where you going to be in the future.

hi Natalie,
If you are working in Australia, you can take 1 year maternity before returning to work. Most of the chinese herbs etc can be found in the medical halls. Nowdays, you can get people to come in and help out with the house cleaning once a week. If your parents can help you in the first 6 months it will be great. Australia offers a more work life balance when you go back to work. Alot of moms work part time when the kids are younger, and you can have more flexible start hours. I mean you can start at 8 and go back at 4:30, or work part time in the hours which your kids are in school. These are pretty common. And you are not pressured to hothouse your kid at 2 years old, unless you choose to.

If you give birth in Australia, it is free in public hospitals. If you have private insurance, if you have bought inclusions, it is also free in private hospitals. If I am not wrong, your checkups and ultrasound, can be claimed under medicare paritially if you do not have private insurance. And if you spend more than 1 K, you can claim under tax rebates. You will need to pay more than 2 K is a similar 2 bedder in public hospitals in singapore, consultations and ultrasounds.

If in singapore, you have family support. You will have confinement ladies. If you are one year maternity, it is also no harm for you to go back and give birth. Then when the kid is > 6 months come back to Aust. You just need to apply PR for the kid.

Allergies, really depends on the kid. But some kids are more prone to it.

gosh! im so glad a friend forwarded this link to me, currently living in Sydney and my baby is due in.... 7 WEEKS!!! cant say i've got advise about where to give birth to the baby as we're here on business long stay visa, and my husband's applying for a british passport for our baby. A quick question (sorry Natalie to be stealing your sunshine here) where do i get brands' essence of chicken and other confinement ingredients?

and I'm having my baby here in sydney
happy.gif
happy.gif

you should give birth in Australia and get a confinement lady there to help you (there are some who are willing to travel to oz - just advertise esp in malaysian papers). there are moms support groups there as well so I'm sure you'll do ok there.

Hi,

This forum is very information.
Me and hubby are facing the same problem. I'm currently pregnant and we are both currently in Singapore planning to give birth in Australia before our PR expires. We area planning to make a move to Sydney.

As this is our first time, we do not know what to do. We understand that giving birth in public hospital is free of charge? Will there be any hidden fees?

Also, there are alot of questions such as can I transfer my medical files from Singapore over to Sydney, which public hospital should I go to, what would be the procedures etc. We plan to fly in 1 month before giving birth.

Hope some of you can shed some comments and ideas regarding our situation.

Thanks.
Cindy

My girl was conceived and delivered In Australia when my hubby n I were living in AZ on employment visas. We were not PRs and had no intention to stay there long term.

I had a wonderful experience there. Great support group available before and after birth. Like most western society, most AZ doctors/midwives encourage natural birth. Unless delivery complications are expected, the midwives attend to the birthing mother until when bb is about to be borned. And bb may not be delivered by your regular OBGY if he/she happen to be on leave or not on duty. Well, that was what happen to me.

As I was unsuitable for epidural administration, I found great pain relieve soaking in a warm tub available in the delivery suite until bb was due to be pushed out. Water birth facility was also available as an option for me.

I delievered in a private hospital but can't comment on the charges as my hb's company paid our bills.

Periodic checks on bb health is carried out by midwives who're based in various pharmacies Besides recording the hb's developmental health stats, the midwife also provide great advice/ support on other related issues (Lactation advice) N these services are for free. Compulsory vaccinations according to the AZ health dept. Is also for free if jabs are taken at their state-run health clinics.

Cindy,
I don't think any airlines will allow you on-board in your last month of pregnancy. As far as I know, most airlines do not allow preggies on-board in their last trimester. And even if you plan to fly in your second trimester, a dr's reference letter is required. Do check with your dr regarding your plans, and confirm with the airlines you choose to fly with.

Hi aly nat,

Thanks for the feedback.
I've already check with the airlines. Most of them allow preggies to fly at 35~36weeks max with a doctor letter. That should not be a problem.

My concern now is on when we arrive in australia, which hospital should we go to and what are the procedures etc. Will there be any fees and what would be the formality that we need to do.

Hi! There I am so glad I found this thread. I have been having sleepless nights thinking about the same questions. I will not be shy with my questions!

I'm about 9 weeks now, EDD end June. We would most prob be shifting to Melb in March.

I don't have any insurance, which means I need to go Private (?). Also, I must give birth by cesarean cos I have two ops previously.
I've read many good reviews about Frances Perry Hospital. Anyone has any feedback? About how much does it cost to have a cesarean birth there without health insurance?

I'm just thinking about the after care of cesarean patients in Melb. I heard and read that there are no 24hr nurse service like SG (I'm a scaredy cat. After op, the pain is like hell! I need help!). I'm worried about what happens after birth? Also, heard that the mother is expected to bath the baby by herself after birth. How to do so after an op? In addition, the basin for bathing the baby is a communal basin? These questions really left some HUGE question marks in my head about giving birth in Aust.

Lastly, if I choose to give birth in SG, anyone knows what's the process like to convert my newborn to Aust PR?

If anyone's got answers to my questions, I'd be so grateful.
happy.gif

Hi! Chanced upon this page, really informative. Am sure most of whom are already mothers of Aus / SG citizen babies.

Littlebum88, not sure is u r still reading the post - if u r giving birth in SG, u have to apply PR for the BB, BB can be a SG citizen as well as an AUS pr.

Anyone knows where i can more reading materials about bringing the BB back if I were to deliver in Aus?

CHeers

I am also Singaporean but Aussie PR and husband is Aussie but Singapore PR. We chose to deliver in Singapore becoz Singapore has the world's best baby mortality rate in the world. As I worked in maternity hospitals in Australia, I realised that Singapore (private) hospitals are better than Australia's. Also, definitely the recovery and confinement in Singapore is better than in Australia. Friends who have delivered in Australia have not recovered as well as those who delivered in Singapore.
The ocnfinement issue is definitely Singapore is better. You can get the herbs, expertise, etc better in Singapore. Also the weather in Singapore is more conducive to healing as well - for confinement mothers.
This is my experience.

Oh yea, in Oz, after c-section, they give you a PCA which gives you the morphine when you want it. In Singapore, they don't give you that, becoz basically the doctor is so good that you don't need that much pain medication! But this experience is in private Singapore hospitals. not sure about public.
But is is much cheaper to give birth in Oz.

that being said, it is true that the Australian after care is different to Sinagpore. They have community care where there are nurses, etc to consult and help you and most are government subsidised. In Singapore, you have to rely on relatives or maids or confinement nannies or pay for the nurses' and other consultant service. Australia is more towards helping the mother be independent. Singapore is more about you getting your own help or getting others to help you - depend on others.

Dear natalie,

Sorry i just joint this mailing list and just read your inquiry.
I delivered my second son in Melbourne was on August 2010 and it was smooth procedure.I am very satisfied with hospital service but only government sector quite slow

I delivered my second baby in Melbourne's Epworth Freemasons private hospital. Paid AUD7,500 and got back about AUD1,200. Obs/Gynae cost another AUD3,000.

Experience is better compared to Thomson Medical where my first was born. That is more like a conveyor belt production line whereas the second birth was all natural and I managed to have my 3.98kg boy without an epidural, thanks to the hot shower to relieve the pain.

After birth support is also better as the Maternal and Child nurse will do 2 home visits to check the baby and mother.

I found a Malay lady to do the massage and binding. Chinese confinement herbs were brought over from Singapore.

I'm a AU PR so my son is an AU citizen. If preferred, you can also register your child's birth with the SG embassy and they can issue a SG passport.

Back