Advisable to take up Half load teaching?

sunnette

Dear teacher mummies(or anyone who has teacher friends), I am considering taking 1/2, 2/3 or 3/4 load teaching, to supposedly have more time for the family.

But I heard of stories like the school manipulating things to make the load 'FULLER' for teachers. How true? Any one has stories to share or advice to give?

Will appreciate them very very much!

Hi lang, I heard that sometimes half load doesn't necessary makes your work load very much lesser, not sure how true is it. I think it mainly depends on the school though.

there's no clear policy to half load teaching? but how do you get half load teaching? Do you get it once you apply for it?

I think I have heard of a colleague doing part time, coming in only for 4 days. Dunno how much percent load that is though.

Half load typically goes by number of teaching hours eg. If normal teachers have 32 hours you can try to negotiate for 16 hrs. Also another way, if normal teachers take 5 classes, you can take 3 (or 2 if your negotiating skills good). Another bargaining chip is no CCA or no form class etc... See how well you bargain. Also try to find out how desperate the department is for your subject eg. due to shortage perhaps you can bargain for better conditions. As for me, I resigned from the service to try to have a child. Then I rejoined as flexi-adjunct, teach 2 classes, no CCA, no form classes, no committee involvement. Pay not fantastic but everyday I went home around 2+. it worked cos I just gave birth to a beautiful baby girl
happy.gif

Oya another tip: try to get all your classes in the same subject so that you only need to attend one department meeting.
happy.gif

Thank yo sooooo much mummies, Great tips!

EnEn, yeah, I will one day join the flexiadjunct!
Love teaching, but my family needs me as much. You surely understands!

Hi mummies,

Any idea if flexi-adjunct teachers are eligible to register their child under Phase 2A2 of the P1 registration scheme? Does the school consider a flexi-adjunct as a staff member?

Back