Advice pls: Starting on Solids

Btw, have the following to sell as a lot at $14/nett, so that comes up to just $1/ea! All unopened. If interested pls PM me. Collection will be at Tampines or Science Park vicinity.

Heinz rice cereal 1 box - Exp Aug 06
Gerber sweet potatoes 170g - Exp May 07
Tender Harvest organic apples 71g - Exp Feb 07
Tender Harvest organic carrots 71g (x2) - Exp Mar 07
Healthy Times carrots 113g - Exp May 06
Healthy Times sweet potatoes 113g - Exp Jun 06
Earths Best apple 113g - Exp Dec 06
Gerber pear 71g - Exp Mar 07
Tender Harvest spinach lasagna 113g (x2) - Exp Mar 07
Golden Circle vegetables & rice puree 110g (x2) - Exp Sep 07
Golden Circle two fruits medley puree 110g - Exp Nov 07

jennise,
your bb's food intake seems perfectly fine to me. maybe she is just one of those very petite and "slow to gain weight" bb lor...

becky cat,
i just checked my Gina Ford book - for bb 6-9mths old, MINIMUM food intake per day is as follows:

for carbs (eg rice or cereal) it's approx 4-6 tbsp per day
for veggies, it's approx 4 tbsp per day
for meat (eg fish, chicken or pork) it's approx 2 tbsp per day

so you can see that your bb is probably not getting enuf solids.

hi lani
interested in the healthy times carrots..
happy.gif
Do u just sell it alone?

thanx ladies.. i will try to increase her intake of solid....i only started solid when she 6 month so now trying out on fruit and veg,,,meat probably next month....

I freeze some fruit puree for abt half a day but when i went to transfer it to ziploc it is not one frozen cube..is it suppose to be this way?

btw,,,one tablespoon equiv to how many teaspoon?

thx so much

triniti,
sure no prob. but can you actually collect from me in tampines or from hubby at science park? if you want i can mail it to you, but you gotta add 50cents for postage lah! PM me to discuss further.
happy.gif

becky cat,
you need to freeze it longer, at least for 24hrs.

1tbsp is equivalent to 3tsp.

Hi everyone,

For those of you who have done some research on baby cereal, which is the best brand to get? Heinz seems to be a popular choice, as it has no added sugar. Earth's Best has no added sugar too, and its organic! However, Nestle is cheaper, but seems to have more added 'goodies' (e.g DHA) in it... not too sure if they have added sugar though.

Or do you girls give a variety of brands???

lani - thanks thanks! oh..heng i din give the oranges and grapes yet..oh i can give my gal the egg yolk rite? can i jz dump the egg yolk into the slow cooker and cook together hah?

Hi,
can anyone advise? my gal now 4 mths +. want to introduce cereal to her but don't know how to? do I mix together with FM or serve with spoon in a bowl?
i wanna try put 1 spoonful of cereal into FM so that she can sleep longer at nite, then I will not have to wake up in middle nite to feed her...

crystalmum,
it's better you cook the egg yolk first until it's fully cooked (just boil egg as per normal then remove the yolk), then mash-mash and add in to the porridge.

juv,
if you read some of the earlier postings, the advice is NOT to add in cereal to FM in the bottle, but to spoonfeed cereal. i've given the reasons in detail before, so just scroll thru the previous postings to look for it.

lani chua,

i just read abt cystalmum that bb cannot be fed oranges. but my stepfather likes to feed my bb oranges, as in give her to suck on it.. so bb suck, suck, suck.. is it ok?
hmm someone posted saying that the anus is red red due to allergic, so if my bb front part is swollen, is it due to allergic?

lani - oh oh..ya hor..din tink of tat..hehe..will do that thanks! but mash into the porridge when it is cooked or during hah?
lame.gif

Hi ixwong,

Vitakid at Forum oso selling EB oatmeal cereal, can go chk. Haven't been to brown rice paradise, wat else r they selling ther?

crystalmum,
can mash in once porridge is cooked already.

nur,
acidic fruits (such as oranges, all kinds of berries, etc) are VERY highly allergenic, so cannot feed to bbs below age of 1. even the juice of such fruits cannot feed yet till they are at least 1 yr old. if you're wondering if the swelling is due to an allergic reaction, check with a PD.

Hey everyone

Currently my boi is 4 mths 6 days old. Doc said can start solid in another 2 to 3 weeks time.

So excited and nervous as it a start to introduce him to so many different food.

I would like to buy book for read up on wearning baby.

Any recommend what book to buy???

summer baby,
i highly recommend Gina Ford's Contented Little Baby Book of Weaning. But you need to go get it now, as it is usually out of stock and it would take some time for the bookstore to bring it in for you.

Hey summer,

I saw more than 10 copies of it at Kinokuniya about 3 weeks ago. Havent seen it at other bookstores. Maybe its out of stock...

Hey Lani
Can check with you my boi start taking solid 3 weeks ago now can eat about 4 tbsp liao. But nanny say if I give him milk first follow by cereal he will not finish it but if I switch the other way he is ok... He will take cereal at 11am plus and milk at 1pm... Will it affect his calcium intake?

Hi,

Any mummies have tried making corn puree? Tried today but after 5-10 mins of working out the skin using the sieve, managed to yield only 1 teaspoon of puree. In the end, I gave up and ate the sweetcorn myself, yummy...

Corn seems to be more difficult than pea. Not sure if its 'cos I chose to steam instead of boiling. If anyone has a better way of making the corn puree, pls enlighten me. Thanks.

Hi mummies,
for those that bought the gina ford book, may i ask wat is this vegetable called swede? Issit turnip?

I was looking through the 2nd stage weaning food. It seems v western, v unlike wat we eat, so how do u feed them or modify to suit asian taste.

My gal is 6 months old, n I juz started to wean her. So do I start from the 1st stage or juz jump immediately to the 2nd stage which is more her age group.

Sorry to ask so many questions as I worry that my gal will not be consuming enough if I feed her according to the 1st stage schedule. Also worry that she will choke if i juz jump to 2nd stage.

TIA

which brand of bottlejar food taste better, heinz or gerber?

wen can we start bb on 1st food and 2nd food?

and after taking 1st food , then 2nd food, can baby go back to taking 1st food again?

poko,
how old is your son and how much milk does he drink per day? if he is ard 6-9mths, i think so long as he gets about 20-24oz per day should be enough calcium already.

brownie2003,
yes i used to make sweet corn puree. i used frozen corn liao, not fresh corn. just boil or steam the whole bag of frozen corn then puree till fine and freeze, so no need to remove or sieve the skin.

cupcake,
sorry can't be of much help. i started weaning my dd at 5mths, so i followed her schedule, so just nice by the time my dd moved on to 2nd stage she was 7mths old. but i did not really follow the exact menu (esp the 5-6mths one), as i find the menu items a bit too "westernised" so i changed it slightly to suit my dd's taste (ie i added the pureed veggies to rice cereal instead). then when i reached the 2nd stage, instead of feeding those menu items she listed there (eg chicken casserole, pasta, etc) i just feed porridge for lunch and dinner lor.

yes, swede is turnip.

mybabydream,
i hardly fed my dd jar food, but from what i know, 1st foods usually is for 4-6mths and 2nd foods for 6-9mths. but if you started weaning your bb late (ie 6mths onwards) you still must feed 1st foods first then 2 mths later move on to 2nd foods. you cannot just jump to 2nd foods at the very beginning as your bb will not get used to the taste and testure of the food. and once you move on to 2nd foods, it's generally not a good idea to go back to 1st foods, as the texture is different already (2nd foods texture is coarser).

Hi mummies

Where can I get the Gina Ford book? I've just started my bb on cereal when she turned 6 motnhs old. Her feeding schedule:

0600 am Formula
0900 am 165 ml EBM
1000 am 2 bb spoon of cereal (Nestle)
1200 pm 165 ml EBM
1500 pm 165 ml EBM
1800 pm 165 ml Formula
2100 pm 165 ml Formula
0000 am 165 ml Formula

How do I introduce further semi solid? I'm really lost.

Thanks for your help.

lani - thanks teacher..hehe..the gina ford book 'valid' for how many years bb hah? wondering if my bb 10mths still worth to buy? me so stupid..last week went kino forgot to buy! arghh..only remember the bb storybook..haiii..somemore went kino twice..

ya lor..how to feed corn to bb hah?

melbz,
I just went into the website u posted, wow, they got a brand new look!
happy.gif

cm,
I bought the book recommended by L S M, that one is "valid" even after our kids go to school! Keke!

crystalmum,
the ginan ford book valid for babies below a year old, and especially if you just start weaning, so i think 10mths no need to refer to the book already lah.

friend,
refer to earlier postings on this forum for detailed info on how to increase solids. or you can read the gina ford book - it's quite good.

Hi, Lani,
sp reporting on progress, keke. Appreciate any comments u may hv, thanks.

My MIL has revamped my bb's feeding since Mon (yesterday only she told me). Now his feeding schedule is as follows:
bb's age: 7.5 mo
7+am - 3oz FM (will only drink half)
9am - half bowl oats porridge (carrot & pork stock, sometimes got fish)
11am - 5oz FM
2pm - 5oz FM
4pm - 4oz ebm
5.30pm - 4oz ebm
7pm onwards - latch on or 5oz FM

My hb & I will try to feed cereal with veggie puree after we reach home at nite, usually 7+ or 8+pm, but we only 50/50 chance of succeeding. Past 2 nites he napped at 7.30-8pm, woke up drank milk then zzz. Other nites he may be cranky (cranky can't feed solid). Looks like his "dinner" won't be easy for us to establish.

My niece (11.5 mo) is offered nibbles of our table food & fuits/ bread as afternoon snacks, otherwise she's still getting only 1 solid meal per day. My hb has spoken to his father abt her being old enough for more than 1 solid meal per day. Wonder when they'll start her on her 2nd solid meal.

Lani
U ever try giving your bb pasta? I'm thinking of trying out those westernised cuisine for my 7MO boy. Any good 1st receipe?

Hi Lani

My baby (5.5mths) is currently taking 3tsp of rice cereal for lunch only. Shd i introduce brown rice and oatmeal cereal? Wld like to give her variety (esp next time when she has cereal for dinner)

hi lani,

Thanks for responding on the corn puree. So no need to work out the skin, can put into the blender & blend hah? I thot need to remove the skin, just like we do for pea. Ok, will try again.

Hi brownie,

How r you?? Is your girl drinking well now? My girl is currently on milk strike but she is taking solids well. Now i am giving her porridge for lunch and dinner. But her milk intake has dropped to around 450ml per day!

Hey Lani
Thanks for your reply...

If I want to start my son on porriage when he is 7mth old can I add meat? And do I need to blend the porriage after cook? And for a start do I cook just one type of food at a time for 3 days or can mix with a few type of vege? WIll it be too boring if I only put one type of food?

hi any tried organic brown rice? i just bought one from tanglim mall the organic shop....

to intro brown rice,,,do u just start of plain or adding of veg & fruits?

thx

hi quackers,

My girl is drinking again but still betw 120 ml to 150 ml per feed. After since she is on solids for lunch & dinner, this lazy mummy has drop her 3am night feed. Now, her intake is abt 500ml+ inclusive of milk added into the cereal. She is on cereal for lunch & dinner. I'm still hesitating on intro'g porridge 'cos can't add milk into porridge and that will cause her milk intake to drop below the min 500ml level. She likes her solids though. Will open mouth big big for the spoon, haha. My boy is the one that is difficult to feed solids...sigh.

I thot yr girl is drinking well w similac? If her daily intake is <500ml, maybe u can change one of their meal fr porridge to cereal. Use Heinz cereal. U can add yr own milk and monitor if it will add up to the 500ml.

Hi brownie,

At least your girl is still drinking 4-5oz per feed. My girl will not drink more than 3oz per feed during the day. Now with porridge during lunch, she will only have 1 milk feed in the afternoon followed by dinner. That's why it has dropped drastically! I don't mind continuing with porridge cos i can tell she really enjoy it, hehe she is so cute she will open her mouth even before my mum can scoop the next spoonful of porridge.

Ya loh, the good thing about feeding cereal is that we can include milk in the cereal. Maybe now she is used to eating porridge, she doesn't really like cereal now. I just bot frisocrem for her to try since she doesn't like heinz but she also refuse to eat.

At first i tot she prefer similac since she seem to finish every feed in the beginning when i change the milk. now she is back to her usual self!

sometimes, no choice, really got to 'force' her to drink!

hi quackers,

Think the other option is for you to intro yogurt or cheeze.

Btw, anyone knows where to get bb yogurt? Any supermkt near woodlands or CCK sells? Hv tried searching in cold storage n ntuc in woodlands and cck but can't find. Those supermkt in town will be too far. Afraid the yogurt may be spolit by the time I tpt the yogurt home

Hi brownie,

I am giving her yoghurt. But i can't seem to find the baby yoghurt anywhere.

So i gave her the petit miam yoghurt for kids! but i only gave her the vanilla and peach flavour. So far ok!! She likes yoghurt but not cheese.

ixwong,
yes i've tried feeding pasta before. my dd likes it. some of the recommended pasta dishes are macaroni &amp; cheese, or pasta minestroni. of course you use those ABC pasta lah, much easier to cook and feed. i think the gina ford book has the recipes.

puffybelle,
yes you can intro brown rice cereal or oatmeal cereal already. try to introduce a variety of pureed veggies into his diet also.

poko,
at 7 mths can already feed fish and chicken, so you can add those into the porridge. at 7mths the porridge needs to be blended first before feeding, esp if there's chicken in it. ard 9-10mths no need to blend the porridge anymore, but must still blend chicken/pork.

if you are adding veggies that your bb has already eaten before and not allergic to, then no need to follow the 3-day rule or the 1-type of veggie rule. but if feeding a new item for the 1st time (eg fish or chicken or pork) then you must follow the 3-day rule. basically any veggies your bb has eaten before can be added to the porridge.

mummies,
for those who defrost bb food using hot water or those food warmer, i just read my gina ford book again last night and noticed that she said CANNOT defrost this way. the best way to defrost is to leave in the fridge overnight. or if you need to defrost urgently, you put outside and let it defrost at room temp, then once defrosted must immed put in the fridge. i think frozen food cannot be defrosted in hot water due to some bacteria growth thingy lah...

quakers,
my dd also loves that petit miam yoghurt (actually it's fromage frais) but then cannot feed too much or too often leh, cause sugar content is VERY high...heehee..so i only give to my dd once in a while...
happy.gif
i figue once in a blue moon should be ok lah, esp since she is already a year old now. aiyoh, eversince she turned one ah, EVERYTHING we eat she also wanna eat! so far she has eaten b'day cake, all kinds of ice-cream, Tim Tam biscuits, Kit Kat chocolate, prata, tau sar pau, even soy bean milk!!!

Back