Advice pls: Starting on Solids

thx ,

i am looking for those with individual covers,

happy.gif

Hi all,

I'm back! had LOTS of fun in melbourne, altho logistically it was very tiring travelling w/ an 11mth old bb. 1st day reached there we headed straight for the Safeway supermarket, as i needed to buy dd's chicken and veggies to cook porridge.

can see got tons of postings these past 2 weeks hor...sorry i don't have time to read them all, as i'm now busy planning my dd's b'day party this sat.

puffybelle,
can implement the tier method of feeding in the 2nd mth of weaning. in your case once your bb is past 6mths old. and you can def add pureed veggies once she is eating 4tsp rice cereal.

oops,
heinz rice cereal can find at NTUC and all other supermarkets. it's the Healthy Times and Earth's Best cereals that can only be found at Brown Rice Paradise.

Hi for those mummies using frozen cubes method! What i did was, i used a cling wrap to wrap the ice-cube tray! After the puree fruit or veg were frozen, i removed them & stored in zip-lock bags meant for freezing, do not mix the different food ice-cubes. This method saves up a lot of freezer space!

Hi Lani

tks. hv got some sample of Heinz rice and will start tis weekend :p. btw, how to determine 1tsp (our usual spoon used for eating rice and is it level or heap). For my bb b4 6 mths. i will only feed them the cereal after the milk intake right. after 6 mths, i will feed him cereal b4 milk..

unable to convince my mil we need to cook fruits for bb under 8mths old.. she is not for freezing the food so she will want to cook it fresh everyday

Welcome back, Lani!
happy.gif
So exciting, Sarah going to be 1 soon!
happy.gif

Hi, inc,
If yr MIL refuses to cook fruits, maybe u can ask her to feed only banana & avocado as these don't need cooking. The rest of the fruits u can cook & intro yourself during weekends.

Hi sp

how about papaya, apple and pear.. these r the 2 fruits she mentioned. She is not for banana..

inc,
apple, pear and peach you still need to cook for bb under 6mths old. papaya and banana no need to cook. if she wants to feed apple and pear but don't want to cook it, then wait till after 6mths.

as for tsp portion, it's up to you (dependent on your bb's appetite), cane be level or heaped. i usually give level tsp.

with regards to feeding before/after milk, your're right, before 6mths you feed after milk, then once hit 6mths you feed in the middle of the milk feed (tier method), ie. you feed half of milk, then solids, then followed by the rest of milk. then once hit 7mths you can just feed solids and eliminate the milk feed (during lunch and dinner). but be sure your bb still gets at least 3x milk feed per day.

Tks lani

tink by then wen i intro fruits, my bb is above 6 mths.. yipee no conflict wif my mil... :p
ask her to give papaya lst.

will update you on his lst feed.

hi,

if i were to cook thr fruits like pear/ apple and freeze it, how long is the life span ?
wont the apple turn brown?

If we defrost the fruit puree, how to go abt it?

my baby of 6 mths plus do not like the tier method, will cry and fuss if the bottle was taken out half way to eat solid....any suggestion?

thx

Hi, becky_cat!
Maybe u'd like to try feeding solids between 2 milk feeds? Something like wait 1-2 hrs after his full milk feed.
happy.gif

Read from wholesomebabyfood website that we can use a dash of lemon juice to prevent fruit from browning, but I never tried so don't know whether it works.

Can put fruit puree in fridge overnite to defrost.

Hi Lani,
1st time heard abt the tier method, i give my bb solids straight when she turned 6 mths, is it OK?
She always has constipation problem ever since started solid, tried various method but still useless.

HI Lani

When I use the tier method, do I need to reduce the milk intake? Coz the cereal intake will increase to prob 4 teaspoon+veg puree by then, so I wonder if it will be too much.

Hi,

Could I ask... are we supposed to add milk to the puree till desired consistency, then freeze? Or are we supposed to freeze the puree, and only add milk when ready to serve??

mumbb
have u tried oatmeal cereal in lieu of rice cereal? That cures my boy's constipation problem.

sp
i tried using slow cooker today to make my boy's porridge. Mill the rice grain before i cook. The porridge is v nicely done after abt 2 hrs on AUTO. V easy. Cook with pork rib stock, fish and cauliflower puree. So yummy that my boy overate!

Lani - ask you hor..if my gal ate too much porridge for dinner and did not take her last feed..shd I decrease the amt she eats so she can have her last feed of milk before she sleeps? cos she shd be drinking abt 600+ml milk still rite? she is coming 10mths next week..now withut the last feed..she only drinks like 400ml per day leh..

also..she is taking 8am milk, 11plus porridge, 3pm milk, 6pm porridge, 9pm milk (so far 2 days din drink cos ate too much porridge??)..how to increase her 3rd solid for breakfast?

can give chicken or not? when can give pork/chicken to 'eat'? cos now i only put the pork for the taste..

thanks in advance!

Hi mummies

try to let my boy taste heinz cereal. heehee lst tome, so not sure how thick/thin the final pdt shd be. i added bm until it is liquid..easily flow like water wen i scoop it wif spoon.. is it correct? i taste it .. find it quite sweet. my boy wants 2 snatch the spoon. other than dat, he seems takin it well..

hi cm, u r here 2

hi sp

check wif my mil.she says she know pd recommends banana. but from those chinese traditional school of tot, onli give banana if the bb digestive system is good. she tinks to be safe, dun give it. try other fruits..

becky cat,
cooked and frozen fruit puree can keep in freezer for 1 mth. and it won't turn brown. you defrost the puree by putting it in the fridge the night before.

mumbb,
of course it's ok for you to feed solids immed instead of using the tier method. it's just that the tier method is recommended so that the bb is introduced to a proper solid meal gradually and also will not decrease their milk intake too dreastically.

if you wanna relieve constipation, feed your bb papaya or prune juice everyday. if that still doesn't work then you need to see a PD.

puffybelle,
usually when you use the tier method, your bb will automatically reduce his/her milk intake naturally, because after the solids they may be too full to finsih off the rest of the milk. each bb is different - some can still drink more milk after the solid while others cannot. if tyour bb doesn't want to finish off the rest of the milk then don't force him/her, cause she/he is probably full already.

melbz,
you do not add any milk to any of the purees that you cook and freeze.

crystalmum,
wah your bb sure likes her porridge hor??! heehee...if that's the case then can decrease slightly, but not too much lah, cause it may defeat the purpose (ie by the time 9pm comes she is sooo hungry that she drinks way too much milk).

if you wanna introduce a light b'fast, you can feed b'fast around 9am, about an hour after her morning feed. but then you need to push her lunch to slightly later, maybe 12pm.

your bb 10mths already? of course can feed chicken already lah! actually by 7mths should be eating chicken already, as this is a good source of protein. you can cook the chicken and then puree/blend.

inc,
i think if the consistency of the cereal is like water then it's too watery already liao - it's practically like drinking milk from spoon liao...make it slightly thicker, ie it can stick to the back of the spoon.

as for bananas - it actually causes constipation, so should not give bb if he/she is constipated or easily constipated.

thx lani,

by the way can zipplog bag be sterilize? i bought the zipplog brand....(freezer type)

can we mix the cereal with water instead cos she just finish a bottle then if i add milk won't her milk intake be even more ( she take 4 bottle of 210 ml per day...)

thx...

Hi ixwong,

Do you mill the rice before you wash the grain or after? Also, do you add the cauliflower puree n cook together in the slow cooker or add only when the porridge is cooked? Thot of introducing porridge to bbs soon...

ixwong,

i din c any oatmeal cereal for bb selling at NTUC, can i use the quacker oatmeal instead?

Lani,
The PD oso cannot solve the problem completely, she oni gave lactulose n cream to apply on anus. But it is not gd to give bb lactulose everyday, rite. Actually, tis problem has been like tis for 2 mths, her bowel movement is 2-3days once, n everytime the poo is so hard.
she will b making noise, i tot she is pooing, but actually she is controlling not to poo.....
BTW, can i use the del monte prune juice or sunsweet prunes for her?

hi, seems like Heinz cereal is rather popular, I can't seem to find it in NTUC or Cold Storage. Any idea where else can I get it? I'm referring to those plain cereal as my baby just turned 4 mths, not those with chicken or fruits. TIA.

Hi regina

i just got l - heinz bb lst cereal (iron fortified) at NTUC...
they do sell maybe the one u went is out of stk.

becky cat,
for a 6mth plus bb 4x 210ml is not a lot of milk, so it's ok for you to add milk to the cereal. it's also nicer. actually i tried adding milk to the cereal before, doesn't taste as good leh...

mumbb,
i don't think you can feed the quaker oats cereal to bbs as it may not be fine enuf. but you can try lah, and see if your bb will eat it. bb oatmeal cereal can't find at normal supermarkets, can only find at brown rice paradise.

i'm not sure if you can feed those prune juice to bb. try to find prune juice meant for bbs. i guess if REALLY cannot find then you try finding regular prune juice with NO added sugar or preservatives, then you mix 1 part juice to 10 parts water before feeding.

the ziplog bags can be sterilized, but it gets warped after you sterilize leh, so can't close it up properly. that's what happened to me when i 1st sterilize them when my dd was 5mths old. once she turned 6mths i stopped sterilizing already, cause the bks i read said after 6mths no need to sterilize ziplog bags anymore.

regina,
heinz rice cereal can find at any NTUC. maybe it's out of stock now, that's why you couldn't find.

thanx ladies..

one more thimg.if i store the pureen veg eg. carrot etc, can i use the Avent warmer to heat it up 1st after defrosting to add into cereal or can i take from freezer and warm it straight....

sorry for so many questions....

thx

brownie
I mill the rice grain after wash, using the wet mill. I heat up the cauliflower puree using microwave then add to porridge cos KS want to make sure the puree is heated thoroughly cos it was frozen.

mumbb
I bought the Earth Best oatmeal cereal from Tanglin Mall's brown rice paradise. Lani recommended me. It's v gd.

lani - thanks again..ya..my gal prefer porridge to cereal leh..she gave me those vomitting noise when we feed the cereal one..if dont have blender..er how to puree the chicken hah..means the pork can oso puree for her to eat hor..

can give pumpkin, potato and papaya everyday or not hah?

inc - ya lor..me clueless to bb food leh..must ask lani guru here..keke..

Hi Lani

So when i use tier method, I make the usual amt of milk and observe for a few days whether the milk intake decrease? If it decrease then i will make lesser next time?

becky cat,
if the puree has already been defrosted in the fridge, then you can use the avent warmer to heat it up. but if it's direct from freezer then you will need to heat up in the microwave, as the warmer will not be strong enough, and frozen food must be heated up properly and thoroughly before feeding to bbs.

crystalmum,
you either use blender or those hand held blender to puree chicken and pork lor. of course if you feeling very "hero" then once the meat is cooked, you can chop-chop the cooked meat up until very very fine...but then your arms will be damn sore after that hor...
happy.gif

i think potato and pumpkin should be ok to give everyday, but papaya you gotta watch out lah. if your bb's poo become too soft then gotta feed less often.

puffybelle,
yes, that's correct. and you don't use the tier method too long. usually after about a mth you stop already, and just feed the solids in place of milk at lunch and dinner. so that means milk feeds is only 3x/day.

i am wondering since bottle jar's food can onyl last 2-3days after open, can we freeze them so that it last longer?

hi ixwong,

Thanks for the info. How much rice grain & water do you use? Do u cook once for both lunch & dinner or cook separately for each meal? My bbs are small eaters. They are still on 5 tsp of oatmeal cereal for lunch & 4 tsp of rice cereal for dinner + 2 cubes puree. Wonder how to cook such small qty of porridge...

help...

my son now 8 month plus... he don't like cereal or porridge including inside the bottle... i really don't know what to give.. milk is 8oz. how?now he weight only 8kg.

jkids
can freeze, but recommended not to freeze them in glass jars. My sis experienced the glass shattering in the freezer.

brownie
i prepare 1-2 days worth of porridge at 1 go. Leftovers for the day are stored in fridge, next day just heat up & serve.

junaine
for my boy (7.5m), he's picky & WILL NOT eat if the cereal/ porridge is too watery or too cold. So i gotto prepare thicker consistency & keep it warm thru'out the feed.

inc,
Thanks for the info on banana. Thought it may cause constipation but it had the opposite effect on my bb, made my bb poo more, so I think what yr MIL said makes sense, must not feed when bb's digestive system is not strong.

ixwong,
Yr porridge sounds yummy! I tried cooking porridge too on sat but I forgot to mill the brown rice & I put in too much ingredients like potato, peas, carrots, tofu, spinach so the end result looked like a mess. BB ate a bit, hb ate a bit, I ate a bit, the rest got to throw away, I just can't stomach more of it...
lame.gif

I'm the worst cook in town but I'm gonna try again next sat. I must not give up cooking, I must improve...
lame.gif

cm,
Wah, Crystal loves yr porridge! Can share some tips ah, how u cook & what u put?

hi, have got a solids-related question to ask, but it's what comes out of him.. :p

my boy has been on solids for nearly 1 month, and yesterday, his poo poo was like a lump, not thick paste form like other days. it's not rock hard though, but quite black. is this normal?

lani - hehe..get my maid to chop the meat then..her poo sometimes quite hard leh..poor gal..now her asshole area a bit red red..dont know if it is allergic (i gave her strawberry biscuits tat day) or cos of the heat leh..will allergic to food make asshole red red only? oops so sorry..u all toking abt food..me tok abt poo..

sp - my maid cook one..she jz put the potato/pumpkin/carrot (grind first if not smash after cooked) & tofu & spinach/beans/peas & pork/fish (pork for taste only) with rice into the slow cooker..but i tink she will cook the rice a bit first before she put the rice into the slow cooker so tat it will be soft..me dont know wat else to put..everytime the same..so boring..now she taking 2 meals the same somemore..poor gal..mummy not creative enuff..

brownie
I just grap 1 handful of rice grains and use about 3 big scoops of water/stock (using those normal pot stirrer/scoop). Put them in slow cooker on AUTO. My boy now only has porridge for dinner, lunch still cereal. But I would cook lunch and dinner separately, for freshness. My mum said leftover porridge will generate tummy wind, so no good to give baby. I use the mini slow cooker, so quite convenient to cook small portion.

sp,
Think baby taste buds quite bland one so they may not like too strong flavours. Simple will do lah...

Hey crystalmum,

I think the recommended age for introducing strawberries to babies is after 12mths. Apparently its highly allergenic...

crystalmum,
Yr porridge's ingredients "mix & match" will hv so many combinations! Yum!
happy.gif

I read somewhere if anus red-red it may mean bb cannot tolerate acidic food yet. My hh at times also red-red but I never fed him anything acidic leh, strange.

ixwong,
Yalor, I went overboard, my bb turned here turned there ate very little & very slow, think he found it yucky.
embarrassed.gif

help:>.>

my baby suddenly increas milk intake from 4 time (210 ml) to 5 time per day

she takes solid twice a day ( 3 tsp cereal 1 tsp apple puree)

so should i increase her milk or solid....cos when she hungry she super impatient so veri hard to feed solid to replace milk....

'thx)

sp - me mix and mix is still the same leh..so boring leh..hehe..i oso din give any acidic food leh..

lani - can give orange and grapes or not? have not let her tried it yet wor..

becky cat,
try to increase the amount of solid you are feeding. i think for 6mth plus bb just 3tsp of cereal w/ 1 tsp apple puree is too little. also could be the food not substantial enough to fill her up, so why don't you add in pureed veggies to the cereal? it may make her fuller.

also, is her feeding gap too big? cause bbs not supposed to be so hungry by the time the next meal time comes leh...

however, i am guessing she is so hungry because she ate too little earlier. prob milk did not fulfil her hunger, so she needs more solids.

crsytalmum,
oranges or orange juice (even if diluted) must wait till after 1 yr old, cause it's highly allergenic. am not too sure about grapes, but i was told it's not good idea to give as finger food to bbs who are too young cause can choke easily (same applies to raisins). if you want can try feeding a little grape, and see if got any allergic reactions or not.

becky cat
my boy coming 7MO (this Sat) and taking 1/2 - 3/4 bowl of cereal or porridge for lunch and dinner. Think Lani is right abt the solid food not enough.

Hi Lani,
Nice having you back to S'pore. Hahaha... Kinda stress up coz my bb reali is underweight. Who would believe that an 8 and a half months old bb only weigh 6.5kg? Have no idea where the prob lies. Me still on BF and she's having 3 feeds a day. Solid feeding is also 3 times. Her solid feeding seems ok for me but her weight has seems stagnant. FYI, she's having appx a 3 quarter bowl of porridge. 1 cube of meat, 2/3 cubes of veg n sometimes a bit of toufu/egg yolk per meal.

Back