Advice pls: Starting on Solids

thanks lani! I will try to reduce the ebm proportion. Just that I find it hard to guage cos at the beginning, the consistency is right and as the feed progresses, it "liquifies".
happy.gif

tuffy,
yes, that happens with rice cereal, whether it's EBM or FM. if the bb takes too long to eat the cereal will become very watery. don't worry, after about a week or two your bb will start to learn to eat faster, so the cereal won't have a chance to get watery. it was like that for me too at the beginning. now my daughter is a really greedy girl ah, see her food only get damn excited so cannot be slow in feeding her. she can finish her food (3/4 bowl for lunch and 1 full bowl for dinner) in 10-15 mins flat!

ixwong,
what bb food are you planning to make? maybe i can advice which is better if i know what you plan to make/prepare first.
happy.gif

Thanks, Lani. I'm a idiot to this weaning thing. Probably start my boy on rice cereal first and experiment with other add-ons like fruits and veg puree, or grated/mashed fruits n veg. Still trying to read up on this subject, so not sure what's after that. porridge??

BTW, any mummies here have their bb taken care by a babysitter? if so, can advise what's your arrangement with bbsitter with regards to introducing solid food to your child?

hi lani, thx for the info. yes my mom and i did notice that bb was constipated the 2nd day...he had a bit of difficulty passing...

can i know wat is the best way to cook pear/apple? boil is it? with how much water? thx ah...still new to this business of giving solids
happy.gif

lilipit,
i will peel and core the pears, then boil in pre-boiled water (ie the water was boiled beforehand already), until cooked, then i will puree and freeze in ice cubes. everyday after her evening cereal i will feed 1 cube (then slowly increase to 2 cubes).

some mums i know prefer to steam the pears instead of boiling, but for me i find boiling is quite convenient lah, and some books say boiling pears is ok.

ixwong,
if that's the case then no need those baby food maker set. a simple blender would suffice. since 1st few mths you would be blending all the veggies and meat (chicken, etc) anyway. for fish you won't need to blend - after cooking can just mash-mash till very fine - it's extremely convenient. for sweet potatoes and potatoes you also don't blend. after cooking you need to mash through a sieve then can freeze already.

you have more or less the right idea. good to start off with plain rice cereal 1st, then can add in pureed fruits/veggies. once baby ard 7mths can slowly grate the veggies/fruits (must be quite fine, then slowly can get coarser). for meats it must still be pureed till ard 9-10mths old. most babies can move on to porridge already at ard 7mths old. but at this age they still may not be able to take the texture of the porridge so normally after you cook the porridge you will need to puree in the blender. i think at ard 9mths then they seem to be able to eat porridge without blending, but it must be cooked till very soft.

lilipit,
typo error! when you 1st feed your bb the pureed pear the portion is 1 cube (approx 1 tbsp) then slowly increase to 2 cubes (approx 2 tbsp)!

lilipit,
forgot to mention. it doesn't matter how much water you use to boil the pears. just enough water to cover the pears lor...anyway when you puree the pear you won't be needing the water - you just need to add a little bit of the water only to "help" in the blending.

lani,
thanks for the info!
happy.gif
I just got the contented little baby book on weaning from the library - read this case study about Ben (a 4 month old bb who doesn't drink much milk). Sounds v much like my gal and the comment is that such babies are not ready for weaning too early. Hai.. also recommended scheduled feeding. As I don't have the other book by Gina Ford, can someone tell me what this scheduled feeding is all about? It seems that the bb is fed more often in different amounts...

oh dear. what i did was to grate the pears and give t0o my 5 mth old bb, u mean we must cook the pears ah????

hi

what is puree meant?
puree the pear?

then my bb is 4 mths plus...can i buy those jar food that for bb 4 mths onward available in ntuc?
immed eat after open up or need to reheat?

thanks

Lani,
Thanks for the advice. Will go get the Philips mini-blender. Heard Philips having a factory sale at 40% discount.

wah so many questions! ok i will answer one at a time...

tuffy,
scheduled feeding means you feed your baby at SPECIFIC times of the day, as opposed to demand feeding. this is a VERY STICKY issue, cause you need to be taking care of your baby all day in order for you to gauge if he is ready for scheduled feeding or not. i started putting my daughter on a feeding schedule (and stopped demand feeding) at ard 3mths old, when i noticed that she was drinking milk every 4 hourly. so basically from 3 mths onwards her milk feeds were at 8am, 12pm, 4pm and 8pm. i also started this scheduled feeding when my daughter stopped waking up for night feedings (at 3 mths).

enya,
for babies below 6mths, it's not recommended to feed raw fruits, because their digestive system is not mature enuf to process it. and i doubt they are ready for scrapped/grated fruits, as they might choke very easily. all fruits for babies below 6mths need to be cooked first. after 6mths, soem fruits can be fed raw already, eg. bananas, papaya, canteloupe, peach, etc.

pol, puree means to blend (in a blender). yes, you can feed 4mth old baby those jar food meant for 4mths and above. no need to heat up, can feed direct from the jar. but if you feed direct from from the jar (ie you use a spoon and feed direct from the jar) you cannot keep the leftover jar food to feed later - you must throw away as there will be contamination. if you want to feed any leftovers, then what you need to do is scoop out the amount you want to feed into a bowl, then feed the one in the bowl. the balance in the jar you keep in the fridge, then can reheat to feed later. when you reheat you can reheat direct in the jar, but must reheat opened. once you have reheated the food cannot keep back in the fridge hor? can only reheat once then throw away liao. and you can only keep leftover jar food in the fridge for ard 48 hrs only. after that must throw away.

oh i see...very detailed....understand liao...
thanks lani..if i got any questions...i will pop by n ask u again...thanks so much!!

thanks lani! What happens if the first feed is delayed because the bb overslept? does everything gets pushed back? I currently feed the bb every 3 hours but not strictly a schedule cos I don't make her drink at a particular time. Much would depend on when her first feed is.. when would you know if the bb is ready?

pol,
you're welcome.

tuffy,
wow, that's a tough question. actually there is no science to it...i am also a 1st time mummy. with my dd, i just went on gut instinct and also from observing her. i demand-fed her from beginning until i noticed that she only wanted to drink every 4 hourly and each feed she was drinking quite a fair bit already.

how old is your bb now? how much milk does your bb drink at each feeding? how many feeds does your baby have (including any night feedings) per day? does your bb still wake up for night feedings (ie anytime b/w 12am-6am). also, what time is the 1st feeding of the day?

if you feed your baby every 3 hourly then that can also be considered scheduled feeding. my dd is now 9mths old and she eats/feeds every 3 hourly also. here is her schedule:

8am wake up, milk
9am b'fast cereal
10.30am nap
12pm wake up, lunch
3pm milk, nap
4.30pm wake up
6pm dinner
9pm milk, bedtime

of course the above timings can sometimes go off by about 15mins or so lah!

for my dd, in order for her not to go out of her schedule too much, we make sure the latest she wakes up in the morning is 8.30am (ie we would wake her up if she happens to be sleeping past 8.30am). the same also for her naps - we don't let her sleep past 12.30pm and 5pm. but she SELDOM goes past those sleeping times lah. she's been on thsi schedule for some time now that her body is like clockwork...

hi lani,
my gal is coming to 5 months soon. She doesn't wake up for nite feeds anymore. Usually she wakes up at 6 or 7 am. Will drink only a little when she wakes up (maybe 2 to 3 oz). After that, she will either take another nap or play a little. She sleeps between 8 to 10pm depending on whether we take her out at night. On the average, she will have only 5 feeds a day (sometimes 6) and I give her 5 oz each time though she doesn't always finish. Average intake is 4.5 oz on good days.

does your gal automatically nap during those times or would she require coaxing?

btw, I read about freezing food - do we need to get covered ice trays for this? where is a good place to buy those?
happy.gif
After they are frozen over, can transfer to ziplock bag for storage?

morning gals

i just got to knw that my bb still not very gd in swallowing cereals,so intending to buy those soft spoon to feed him,anyone knw where got sell?

pol
i've seen them at kiddy palace, robinson's and isetan.

tuffy,
for freezing, you will need to get those covered ice trays, then once frozen just transfer to ziplog bags.

my girl automatically naps on her own. when time for her nap/bedtime, we will put her in the cot and switch off all lights, then just leave her there (i will hide on a mattress on the floor! hehe!). she usually doesn't fall asleep immed, she will play for a while (maybe 5-10mins), then when she is sleepy she will just lie down, grab her pillow or bear and suckle on it then fall asleep. once she sleeps then i will leave the room. once in a very blue moon she may need coaxing, so i will just pat-pat her and she will fall asleep (but i never carry her and rock her to sleep lah).

from what i know, sometimes if you wanna increase the milk intake per feeding you spread out the feeding time. so instead of feeding every 3 hourly, you try every 3.5hourly. she may drink more at each feeding (but the daily total will prob still be about the same). if you spread out the feeding also she may only need just 4-5 feeds a day as opposed to 5-6. what is her weight? normally you calculate the daily amt of milk she needs by her weight, not by her age.

at ard 5 mths old my dd was already drinking ard 6-7 oz of milk per feeding (4 feeds a day, every 4 hourly, so total milk is ard 24-30oz per day).

Hi mommies

I need some advice. How to feed a 7mth old baby who is not feeling well? My dd just vomited, has bloated tummy
sad.gif
Has seen a PD, now on glucose water. Should I cont'd to give her solid tomorrow?

pol,
yes i am a SAHM. i was on ML for 5mths, then went back to work for 1.5mths only before quitting! haha! all my info i got from reading books, internet, etc...

weiwei_m,
notmally when they are sick they do lose their appetite. you can try feeding her solids, but maybe try very mild one (eg very watery porridge or plain rice cereal), and don't force her to eat if she doesn't want to. try to give her milk also. when my dd was sick a few mths back she refused all solids and her milk intake dropped to ard 9-11oz per day only. but once she was better her food and milk intake went back to normal. it's best that you seek your PD's advice on whether to feed her solids or not.

hi lani,
where can I find the covered ice cube trays? do you sterilise these trays too? was reading the Ford book and it says that it should be stored in steriled boxes/bags after freezing (if bb is less than 6 months old). not sure what type of boxes can be put in a steam sterilizer...

she is now about 6Kg plus (not sure plus what yet). So her intake is a little on the low side. I think it doesn't help that she seems to be exhibiting signs of bottle rejection again.

btw, does any of you use baby food maker here? can it be used to puree fruits? use the strainer? also - what types of pear do you use? the supermarket sells so many diff types, am confused...

Hi Lani
Just bought a mini blender from Philips. So all set, now only waiting for my boy to turn 5 mths....

Lani, have chk with PD, because my dd still feeling nausea, vomited after drinking milk
sad.gif
. Was told not to give solid for today, and milk need to be diluted, just to settle down the vomiting.

What are the food that I shd avoid when she is able to eat again? they told me that nowadays, baby's intestine not regulating well.

ixwong, i just bot a Braun blender/chopper
happy.gif

looking forward to using it. I also went to buy those food prep set from kiddy palace (will probably let my mom use that set)

hi all, my mom started to feed my bb apple (cooked & pureed) today. cos my son got abit constipated after goining on rice cereal...think it's due to the iron. So thot maybe fruit will help ease...also Lani suggested. Will see how it goes tomorrow !
happy.gif

Hi,

My boy has just turned 6 months, and we are going to start weaning him. Did not start at 4 months as our paediatrician suggested so.

Any suggestions how to introduce weaning? I read about introducing it during a milk feeding, when bb is almost full. Give bb the rice cereal and then more milk till he is full. Does this really work?

And how much to feed? At the first few feeds, usually how much do they take? Considering the fact that my bb has not taken any solids before?

Any good recipe books for baby food?

hi morning...

my bb is 4 mths plus,he eat cereal in the morning...thought of letting him have his cereal nite time,of putting the cereals in his milk? is it ok to have two cerals in a day?

hi tang ling,

feed baby half his milk. not too full or else he won't take d cereal. then give cereal. after that followed by some milk.

1st time only 1 tsp cereal. after that increase to 2 tsp for one week. then can increase some more, depending on your bb. start w only plain rice cereal first. can intro banana & other veg after 1 wk.

hi pol,

now a days we don't practice adding cereal into last feed. last time they say this will make bb sleep better but research found that there was no correlation & adding cereal to milk can choke the bb or make d bb more full than necessary. so now not encouraged.

my bb started cereal at 4mths, had 2 cereal fr 5 mths - lunch & dinner.

i tried this last weekend - mash potato with fish & pumpkin. my girl loves it. u can try too:

cook half potato then mash
2 tsp pureed veg (i happened to use pumpkin. any veg will do)
heat up 2 oz milk, add fish (scrapped) & bring to boil (keep stiring to break up the fish & ensure that its cooked)
remove from heat, add in mash potato & pureed veg
mix well
(if too thick, can thin it down with more milk)

it was so good, i had some with my roast chicken! yums...

hi pol, ya, my mom told me that they were taught to add cereal to milk during her time. well, i guess practices change over time...

hi orchid...

lucky i asked,if not blur blur le...

i oso gtg to start my boy those jarred foods...
pureed apple & pear

yah...agree the ice trays look good.

Pol - i tried Heinz fruity apple on saturday. My bb didnt like. He scrunch up his face and nose...Think the Heinz one is made from green apples....so abit sour (i tasted it).

On sunday, i made a fresh batch of apple puree using Boiled Red USA Fuji Apples...very nice...bb likes it !
happy.gif
I find that 2 apples can fill up to 80% of an ice tray.

hi lilipit,
how did you prepare the apple puree? did you boil the apple (without skin and core) and after that use the strainer to puree?

Hi, I've been following this thread for awhile but never posted. Anyway, had to ask- Lani, it's amazing that your daughter sleeps on her own! How did you get her to do that? Was there a lot of crying in the beginning? I've tried very hard to put my son on Gina Ford's schedules since he was 1 week old and he takes all his naps and feeds on schedule but even now at 8 months, he needs to be carried to sleep...
sad.gif
Any tips to share?

Wow! The thread I started is really alive! Great to see that many mums are sharing tips. Think Lani is the guru here.
But it's kinda hard reading now. How come must scroll left and right?
Lani - Have PM you.

wow, i didn't log on for a few days and got sooo many postings! don't think i have time tonight to answer all the question leh...

babyblues,
received your PM and replied back.

babyboy,
my dd went thru several phases. when she was a NB (prob from birth to ard 2mths) it was very easy to put her to bed. just put her in the cot and she would fall asleep. then after that it got slightly harder, usually had to rock or pat her a bit. then ard 6mths onwards we decided that we must teach her to fall asleep on her own, so we observed her and took note of the timings when she would start to get very sleepy, so that became her naptim/bedtime, so what we do is when it's ard that time, we would just put her in her cot, kiss her goodnight, tell her it's time to sleep, give her her pillow and teddy bear, switch off all lights, then i will lie down on the floor and we just let her be. if she is very sleepy she will just hug her/suck her pillow/teddybear and just fall asleep. if she is not too tired she will play in her cot for a while, then just lie down and fall asleep. the 1st few days when we started this of course she protested a little bit (when she did i will just go to her, give her a kiss, tell her its time for bed, pat her a little, etc, but i never carry her out of the cot). after a few days she was ok already.

mummies,
i found my covered ice cube trays at isetan a few mths back. they were selling 5 for $10. i've also seen them at those neighbourhood shops selling those household items, pails, etc.

tang ling,
orchid's method of weaning is correct - you can just follow.

tuffy,
when my dd was less than 6mths old i sterilised the ziplog bags. after 6mths i stopped sterilizing already. to be honest, when you sterilize the ziplog bags the shape and "feel" of the ziplog bags get a bit "funny" leh, as in they sort of harden and gets mishapen, and then cannot close them...that's why i stopped sterilizing after 6mths. as for the ice cube trays, i sterilized when i 1st bought them, but after that i did not do it anymore. just wash and rinse thoroughly after each use, and then just pour hot boiling water over them.

lani,
thanks for the tips! just to confirm - I can find the same type of covered ice cube tray (as seen in the link) at Isetan? I haven't bought a blender yet - am wondering what stuff I can puree using the strainer in the meantime..

pol,
usually when you start introducing cereal to babies it's best to start off with the lunchtime feeding, then 2nd will be dinner feeding and last breakfast feeding. the reason breakfast should be last is you want your baby to have a full bottle of milk 1st thing in the morning (ie 6-8oz) so that he/she does not drastically reduce the milk intake, or start to reject milk.

also not advisable anymore nowadays to add cereal to milk feedings before bedtime...it's very old practice lah...

enya,
yes can add tofu (prob after 6-7mths) as it is a good source of protein. i'm not sure about silverfish though.

tuffy,
sorry, my internet connection is a little screwy these few days so i'm unable to go to the link you gave so can't see the ice cube trays. the ones i saw at isetan are pretty standard ones, but i bought it from those "sale" boxes - they were having a household promo at that time, so i'm not sure if they sell it all the time.

hi lani,
from the website, I can see little boxes with their own lids. v cute! the ones you saw in isetan - is it one ice cube box with one big cover? sorry.. me quite sotong..

Thanks Lani- my baby screams when we don't pick him up so sounds like I'll just have to get tough...

Tuffy- you can get the covered ice trays from Takashimaya as well. It's not in individual cubes- just one big cover over the ice tray but I find that quite handy for unmolding the cubes. ie. I can just twist the tray then give it a sharp whack on the counter and the cubes will fall out into the cover. I can then slip everything off the cover into the ziploc bag.

tuffy,
yah, at isetan it's one cover for the whole tray.

babyboy,
yes looks like it! but be gentle with him lah...i also got no heart to be very tough and strict with my dd. luckily she is a very well-behaved girl and has never cried till she screamed during her naps/bedtimes (or any other time for that matter), so it was very easy for us to teach her to fall asleep on her own. if she were to scream her head off i think i will also pick her up leh...heart pain if see her cry like that!

Hi Orchid & Lani,

Thanks for the weaning tips. Would try that.

About the freezing trays, how do we prepare the frozen puree for bb? just thaw them to room temperature? need to heat up again?

Some people may be questioning the nutritional value vs freshly-prepared purees. What do you think?

hi enya,

there's some differences in thinking on using silver fish. some people say it enhances the taste. others say babies shouldn't have any salt in their diet at all until they pass 1 yr cos their kidneys can't process salt yet. if u want to be safe, u can hold off the silverfish until after 1? so far, i don't use silverfish & the food still taste quite yummy

Hi Tuffy,
for the boiled red apples,
i used US Fuji Apples (bot 2 at 60 cents
each from cold storage).

I peeled and cored them, and then cut
into quarters, adn boiled. i didnt
really time it...just see that they have
soften abit...then puree them using
my braun handblender. Then freeze it.

When i wanna feed my bb, i will take out
1 ice cube out from the freezer, and
then place it inside those small glass
bottle, and sit the bottle in a
mug of hot water, until the apple
thaws and warms up....quite convenient.
hope it is the right way tho...
but so far so good
happy.gif

Hey Lani, my son is now 5mths,
and same as your bb at that stage...
he currently takes on avg abt 26 oz/day

hmm...why the page so 'fat' ? have to
scroll left & right... i';m gonna press enter-key
after a couple of words so it is easier to read.
alamak...looks like a poem/song

hee hee, i have also started bb on sweet potato.
bb likes it.

by the way, for pureed/mashed PEAS,
does anyone know where i can get fresh peas ?
must buy them in the peapod, boil
and take the peas out is it ?
so troublesome....

just wondering, do u think the page looks like this
cos of the long web-address given in one of the posts above? hmm...really can stretch

Back