Advice on Breast pump / Milk Bottles / Milk Bags / Sterilizer?

hi apuppy,

my antenatal instructor told us to buy the breastpump only aft delivery as u dunno how's ur milk supply, think some hospitals also loan breast pump for mummy to try out. for me, i already gotten the avent manual pump tt comes with a bag b4 attending the antenatal class. it also comes with some bottles, so if u r buying a breastpump later, don't hv to worry tt u don't hv enough bottles.

as for breast pad, think no harm buying 1 box 1st b4 delivery. isetan now got sales, saw pigeon brand 36+6 pcs breast pad selling at ard $8, my colleague who is already a mummy of 2 recommends me this brand. isetan now also having 20% discount for avent, pigeon & nuk pdts, so u can look ard.

think it's gd time to look ard during this sales period, esp the coming GSS, to buy your stuff. however, remember not to buy electric pdts too early as tt wld impact the warranty.

hi xinyao,

me FTM, r u also FTM? think we tend to get too excited & can't resist ourself in buying baby stuff.

i already got 2x4oz & 2x9oz avent bottles fr my breastpump package, 1x4oz avent bottles fr my antenatal class & 2 pigeon bottles fr the pigeon steriliser, so total 7 bottles & guess wat... i just bought 3x9oz avent bottles when i went isetan on sun, just can't resist buying it as it's on sale, $15.90 for the 3x9oz bottles package. but i don't regret it, as i need to have a bit more bottles aft 3 mths when i leave baby with MIL as i intend to continue breastfeeding, need to hv some bottles at MIL's place for her to feed my baby w EBM & at the same time, need to hv some bottles in the office for my EBM.

hi xinyao n jen_phua,
B4 u go into the buying bottles mode, pls see whether you have enuf space in the fridge / freezer. At the end of the day, u may wan to consider milk bags instd as they take up less space.

hi b2b3m4,

yes, when my BM is established & hv gd supply, will buy milk bags & store them in a plastic container & put into the freezer. my fridge/freezer plenty of space as we don't cook.

i bought more avent bottles cos need them to work w the avent breastpump, aso i intend to sterilise all the bottles myself as my practice (steamer) differs fr MIL (boiling method). when i go back to work, i need a set of bottles to pump out the milk & will leave this set of EBM at MIL's place in the evening when i pickup the baby so tt MIL can warm up this set of EBM the next day to feed baby while I use the 2nd set of bottles to pump out the milk, so the bottles will be rotated. Anyway, MIL's fridge/freezer has limited space to store 1 day's supply, so better to pass her the bottles so tt she can feed baby directly, no need to worry abt transferring milk fr milk bag to the bottle.

hi Jen,
Ya i am a FTM. Baby due in aug.
my frren told me her EBM turn sour when she stored in milk bags. she say most likely her freezer or fridge not cold enuf.she advised me to store in bottles.
think i jus stop buying bottles first.cos i be with BB most of the time.

xinyao,
I'm using Ameda lactaline pump and the advantage is I can express both sides at the same time. if breastfeed, then only 1 side at a time.
Also using pigeon wide bottle. I just transfer the milk into bags for freezer storage and glass bottle at fridge - 48hr storage

pilgrim mom,
thanks for your input. even after I warmed up thawed milk, still yellowish and oily but bb seems ok after feed.

hi jeanyard,
wat glass bottles u use? i bought the pigeon glass milk bottles
dunno where got sell those glass bottles with cap like JAMS.

xinyao,
you can check the forum free stuff thread for free glass bottles or ask from nurse during discharge from hospital.
I got about 10 with lids from the nurses (very friendly!!). they had used formula instant milk for newborn infants and will throw the glass bottles away or keep for patients when they want to express milk.
I also keep chicken essence / bird's nest bottles. can store 70ml of milk. Eu yan san's bottles are the best lids coverage.

pilgrim mom,
thanks. will do that

hi jeanyard,
I have an empty bottle from the Lao hang jia birdnest. i think that can be used too.
free bottles from that thread have been taken up.
u mentioned abt essense bottles? but the cap are not very tight .is jus loosely cover the bottle after the sealing ring is removed.

Hi xinyao,

I think those with sealing ring you meant is the Eu Yan San's chix essence?
Those cannot re-used to store BM lah... not tight at all.
As what Jeanyard mentioned, the Eu Yan San's bird's nest bottles are good.
i'm also stocking up on the glass bottles.

xinyao,
eu yan san's bird net bottles caps are tight. I've never tried their chk essence, thought it's the same? I have Brand's bottle but don't like.

eventually I got tired of the bottle washing cos max only 100ml and i'm pumping out 250ml each time. so sometimes I use milkbag and put into freezer immediately.
bb will take "fresh milk" when I can meet his demand, else take from normal compartment fridge

xinyao
i just delivered last week, and went to the nursery to ask for glass bottles.
the nurses were helpful and asked me to help myself to it.
they put all the empty bottles in a huge plastic bag to send back to manufacturers to recycle.
so we can take as much as we want.
dun forget to take the sealing caps also...

Hi, I'm delivering in about 2 weeks time and I have twins. Does anyone use the Avent IQ Duo? Was told to get a double electric otherwise, I'd spend all my time pumping and nursing!

Can anyone comment?

xinyao
which hosp you delivering?
i suppose most hosp will give you the glass bottles if you ask from them or ask the nurses to keep for you.
bb's doing good, thanks.
happy.gif

i opt for c-sec, so delivered on 38th week.
when's your EDD?

hi lizardess,
i delivering at MT A. due in mid aug
Hope i can go for natural birth smoothly.
i feel that my BB not very big.

I have a Medela Mini Electric Plus (dual pump) bought in late May 2007. Comes with a carrier bag, cooler bag, ice pack and 4 extra storage bottles.
Sadly, Mine was hardly used.
Anyone interested to buy, please send email to [email protected]

Hi ladies, I have recently delivered and bb is now almost a week old... i hv plans to go on TBF & hve gone thru an emotional rollercoaster with this decision - however, no regrets as yet..

But as my bb is what is prob known as a "Barracuda Baby", my nipples are now extremely sore & tender only after 1 week of BF. As of yesterday, I made the very hard decision to EBM & bottle-feed him for the night feeds so my MIL can help out.. Hve only been discharged frm hospital for 3 days but hv hardly slept...

Quick qn regarding Storage of EBM. As my milk supply is not great, i manage to pump out only 20-30 ml (total) after baby latch-on to empty the breast & to stimulate more supply using the AVENT ISIS DUO.

Need some advice on the following:

1) As I pump now every 2-3 hrs, i hve many bottles dated & time-stamped in the fridge, each containing only 20-40ml of EBM - Is it OK to add on newly-pumped EBM to the same day storage bottles already in the fridge (not freezer)? So i can store all the same-day EBM in the freezer?

2) As the pump parts need to be sterilised after each use, how do we pump more than once in the office after maternity leave?

3) Electric Steriliser - After sterilising, the bottles, etc all hve water droplets on them, are we supposed to towel-dry them before using OR just fling off as much water as possible??

Am really confused & hve so many qns each day.. would appreciate any help/advice any one can offer! Thanks heaps!!

bessy chua,
1) i store e same day EBM separately in e fridge but i pour all of them into 1 milk bag when i transfer to e freezer.
2) for me, am planning to sterilise e pump parts using sterilising tablets. put 1 tablet into x litre of water in a container, aft e tablet is dissolved, can put e pump parts in, setup e pump aft x minutes or when u next need to use them, this liquid can last 24hrs.
3) if towel-dry, then no pt sterilising e items in e 1st place. for bottles, i just turn them upside down & try to get as much water out. it's ok to hv some water droplets in them.

u may wish to join e jun 2007 mtbs thread, u shd be able to get response there faster.

EnJ, i have ameda dual n avent duo...

if u have e budget, go for avent duo
happy.gif
if not, ameda is good, but u need to work harder with massaging n pumping cos it does not effectively empty e breasts....

for me, using e avent duo, i can get ard 3-5 let downs each pumping session...which means higher yield of milk each pump session....

for ameda, i onli manage to get ard 1-3 let downs....overall yield is lesser cos it does not have e massage petals to stimulate e let down....

i tried PIS @ TMC twice...din like it cos e speed of e pump is regulated by e pump itself...it will go fast for first few min, then after tt become slow, which i dun like....Avent duo got better control of e speed/suction cos every1 is different, cant b every1 using e same speed/suction worldwide....

Hi,
My baby farts a lot, and smelly too..
happy.gif

According to my CL, my BM is whitish colour, hence contains a lot of "wind". that's why by BB farts a lot.

Does it matter the colour of BM? Does the colour really influence the baby fart?

HI All,

I would like to sell my Almost Brand New Avent Single Electric Breast pump (Used Only Once) together with a box of Brand New (Sealed) 10 Breastmilk Containers.
Retail Price :- abt $300/-

Here's the link:-
http://www.avent.philips.com/en_GB/products/SCF292_01.asp#features

I am willing to let go @ $220/-

I am Selling because my friend gave me her Dual Breast pump which I am using comfortably.

Interested parties, Please contact me at [email protected]. We will link up from there.

Thanks.

hi all,

i am intending to sell off my medala PIS advanced which is 6 months old (bought from robinsons). the warranty is still valid for a further 6 months till end aug 08. pls PM me if u r interested.

gong xi fa cai... =)

Pigeon steriliser works fine for me.
I used both AVENT UNO & DUO.. bwtn the both, DUO is much quiter n powerful, hence it reduces the express time by more half for me :D

sorry to intrude.
I've got the below brand new set to let go. If interested, pm me your comfortable offer and we shall work on it. Thanks.
1381983.jpg

Happen to chance upon this thread.

any mum interested? I am selling away my breast pump. It has served me well. but I have to work so i don't have time to pump out the milk.

Medela Swing Breast Pump at S$245 (Retail price up to $335)

Bought around February. Used less than 2 months.
Warranty card not filled. As good as new.
Giving away 2 brand new membranes for free as well. (each at $5)

Medela Swing Breast Pump work much much much better than Medela Mini Electric. Had a bad experience with Medela Mini Electric when trying to pump milk for my 1st baby as it doesn't pump out much milk

1 box of pigeon 36 disposable breast pads at $9. (John Little store selling at S$10.90/box with 42)

Selling both items together at $250.

Prefer to meet at city area.
Do contact me at [email protected] for more details.

1422002.jpg

Will the Medela PIS Advance work with Avent bottles...? Cos I intend to get the Medela PIS Advance but would like my baby to use Avent bottles... please advice Thanks! :-D

You will need to get an adapter for the medela pump to the avent bottles inorder to do so. Medela pumps can only fit standard bottles not wide neck ones like Avent

Hi,
BreastMilk Storage Bag $8.50 each.(Ready Stocks)

*HIGHLY RECOMMANDED, similar with medela can stand but CHEAPER ALOT!

To order,
PM/Email me!
[email protected]

1748104.jpg
1748105.jpg

• Made in Korea
• Capacity: 210 ml
• Quantity: 25 pcs
• Leak proof
• Freezer safe • Easy sealing with double ziplock.
• Self standing
• Double layered
• FDA approved

Payment:
Fund transfer to POSB SAVING A/C 003 – 43284 - 0
- Payment made via IB, pls quote your nick
- Payment made via ATM, pls indicate Date, Time of transfer

Mode of collection:
Postage
1 box - $1.00
2-3 box - $1.50
4-7 box - $2.50
8-15 box - $3.50

Self-collection:
MRT Stations: (Mon – Fri)
1) Choa Chu Kang (07:50am / 7pm)
2) Cityhall (08:40am / 6:20pm)
3) Other stations (Timing to be advise)
-Jurong East to/Fr cityhall
-Woodlands to/fr cityhall

To Order
PM/Email me!
[email protected]

Hello mummies, would like to find out is it cheaper to purchase avent pigeon items during OG 20% sale or neighbourhood area shop still cheaper? Thanks in advance.

brand new medela pump(never use at all) bought on 4th Oct 08(with receipt & warranty attached) for sale as my husband bought the wrong pump that I need..Bought at $129..selling off @ $110.Interested,Pls contact me @ 90497993.Thanks!

hi jas,

i am using pigeon rapid steriliser. I took out the purple colour thingy which is being placed in the center of the steriliser. This way I have more space and I am using avent pump, avent bottles, pigeon mag mag cup and pigeon bottles as well. All can dump into the steriliser.

hi mummies,
if anyone wan to get Medela pumps or the accessories, or milk storage bags/steam steriliser/milk bottles etc/... pls PM or email me at [email protected] I am able to get them at 10% discount at "the first few years". 2 outlets available is KKH and Paragon.

hi lemontree,
if u wan, u can bring it along but hospital oso got their pump too. If ur baby is learning to latch on, most likely they will nt encourage machine express unless really no choice then got to bottle feed.

Hi,

Does anyone know if the Medela Milk storage bags are reusable? Or, have to throw once we use it?

Hi,

Does anyone know if the Medela Milk storage bags are reusable? Or, have to throw once we use it?

hi Jane,

all milk bags are only to use 1 time and throw coz it's pre-sterlise b4 we used it to place the milk. the plastic milk bag cannot be place in microwave heat or steamer to re-sterlise again.

hi mummies, i'm due in march and is contemplating to get the medela PIS advanced after hearing so many gd reviews on this pump. However, I'm thinking if I should get a preloved one, coz new one quite exp. Any advice?

Back