advice needed on breastfeeding

Leng Leng,

Ur boy is soo heavy and chubby! Mine not so.... My 2nd boy is more or less like that but my girl now gg 8 mths oni 8 kg plus.....My MIL keeps complaining says must be my milk not so nutritious so BB meat is not firm....
But my 1st actually quite lazy leh... always sleep.. nv move ard much but her meat is super tough... bearing in mind she take FM....

annedrew,
BB who sleeps more grow more.
Both you & hubby's built are small or big frame?
If small, most prob, BB will follow genes lah...
happy.gif

no small lah... me average, my hubby fat fat one.... hahahha... but my sis is those bery small size one... mayb my girl follow her bah...??? me am not too concerned abt girl's weight as long it is acceptable... just cant stand my MIL nagging...some more still tell me I do not noe how to take care of them as last time when i had my 1st, i lived with her b4 moving out 1 year later then recently my last two got fever fits (boy fits happen at her hse... bb girl at my hse)..elder one got high fever but nv did once develop fits.... she say at her hse no prob.. now i ownself take care got prob!

hi Annedrew
I BF all my 3 kids , for my elder one i BF her till she was 2 yrs, she is so chubby and she got such fat thighs . As for my 2nd and 3rd one , they are twins both BF till 13 months , my ger also quite chubby but my boy very skinny lor cos his birth wt only 1.5 kg . So i dun think its the BM ,agreed w leng leng , if ur bb sleeps more and move less den most likely will grow more .

Old pple are like that , if u BF and bb small they sure said its BM fault one la . My mum also keep asking me to give FM to my elder one but i insist den when she see her so chubby den she keep quiet , den when she see my boy skinny she mention FM again so i remind her abt my elder one den she smile and said : ya hor ya hor

I think weight and size is nt important , the important thing is whether the bb is healthy or nt . BM is still the best according to research , think no one will disagree rite ?

Hi all mummies,
i'm also breastfeeding my girl who is 5mths old, 7.1kg. I have about 17 bottles ebm in the freezer & fridge now, but how long can ebm last in the freezer (if i keep opening the freezer door)? i got no more extra bottles to store bm now, should i buy more bottles or stop storing bm in the freezer? i'm afraid that if i store too much, if never drink, very wasted leh..

Hi Xueyi,

I previously used glass bottles to freeze EBM, but I have since switched to milkbags as I can lay them flat to freeze and it's much easier to store. I'm interested to order Blue Egg BM storage bags (25 pc), but can only get a better deal at $7 each box if I order 10 boxes. Interested to share?

hi smurfygal,
ya, bottles take up alot of space in the freezer/fridge. Is your blue egg bm storage bags the new version one? Actually i wanted to order lansinoh bm storage bags on 'babyhub online' but out of stock liao. Actually i need the bags quite urgently. But i wanna take 1 box to try it out first. Anyone else sharing with us? My contact is 96896619, u can sms me. it's faster this way =)

Hi Xueyi,

This supplier's Blue Egg Milk Bags have double ziplog but no thermal function. $7 excludes postage btw. I used to use lansinoh, but decided to switch to Blue Egg as it seems more economical.Want to take about 2 boxes. So far, you are the only one who PM me. If no one else responds within these few days, I might go ahead and just order 2-3 boxes for myself @ $7.50 each box (exclu postage) as my milkbags are running low too.

Mummies who are intending to store ebm on a regular basis (few packs daily) u might wan to consider using Playtex milk bags. those are more economical n saved my days otherwise i think i would hv gone broke if i kept using those 'ziplock' types of milk bags.

jus my 2 cents worth
happy.gif

Hi mummies, which bm storage bags can be lay flat w/o leaking? My freezer have limited space, so i would prefer to lay the bags flat instead of standing to minimize storage space. my freezer is full of avent via containers, took up a lot of space!

I used to use Avent milk bags then no longer in the market and I used playtex as well. One thing about playtex is you need to use rubber band to tie or clips which you need to buy..Still I believe is cheaper than ziplock kind?

Hi Smurfygal,
ok, u go ahead and order yours. coz i'm waiting for Lansinoh milkbags. Thanks for asking anyway!

Hi meeyah,
still need to use rubberband/clips to tie the milkbags, so troublesome ah. I think i would prefer to use ziplop milkbags coz can save time & hassle..

Xueyi, but in the long run will burn a big hole in ur pocket.
i also used playtex n clip with the clips i got from IKEA. i lay them flat in the freezer/fridge. so far none leaked, but i heard some reviews that they do leak. i guess its best not to pack the milk too fully.

atually lansinoh is the next best choice i find. the quality is good n if can get from overseas spree, the price is cheaper than most of the brands sold in stores locally.

Yup Xueyi, I agree with blueangel30. I personally feel that playtex is better than Avent. Last time I use avent, it always leaked not because I packed too full. I poured liquid breastmilk into bag, it starts to leak already! End up I use 2 bags in one just in case. Maybe that's y Avent no longer sell the avent milk bag anymore.

Hi meeyah & blueangel30,
I have ordered 1 box of blue egg (new version) bm storage bag for $8.50, while waiting for Lansinoh milkbags stock to come in. Breastmilk is liquid gold leh, every drop is very precious, so sayang over leaked milk right! Babyhub online got sell Lansinoh milkbags at $12.00 for 25 pcs, quite cheap, compare to Medela brand!

meeyah, actually during my son's time (5yrs ago) i was using Avent bags. although it didnt leak, but i still prefer Playtex cos it seems more sterile than Avent bags.
so for my girl this time round, i used Playtex n a mixture of others. anyway Avent also stopped selling their milkbags
i do use a mix of the ziplock ones for deep freezing. for those that i pump n use daily, i only store them in playtex cos more econimical - store n use almost the same day, so if use ziplock type is a waste.

oh ya BM is really liquid gold. i could still remember during my confinement, i acccidentally knocked down the btl aft i expressed my BM..almost half the amt spilled...i cried for a while aft that! n whenever my mum fed my girl with my EBM, i make sure she made her finish them up otherwise i will be so upset cos the amt i could express out was so precious

yar I agree breastmilk is liquid gold. Do you know it is actually made from our blood? That's what my mum says..

Hahahaa...maybe I suai got the defects batch? That's y some of the Avent bags leaked...anyway Avent stopped selling le. So no more worries wheher it leaked or not.
happy.gif
But I agree that Playtex is good. I find the thickness of the bag is certainly thicker than Avent.

Hi Meeyah,
i'm using blue egg milk storage bags now, so far so good (touch wood). I don't know bm is made frm our blood leh.. how old is your baby? still bfing?

Mummies...Can anyone help...My baby girl is 3weeks old and very often when I feed BM in the afternoons she would just sleep for ard an hour and then wake up. I have been taking fenugreek but it seems like still not enough for her.

Like today, I just fed her 80ml of BM that I expressed out. She just slept for an hour and she is up again. Then had to feed her FM and she drank 70ml. And she slept but I am worried how long will she sleep. Cos the past few days she only slept for an hour or so only when on FM or BM. Any advice?

hi ew (jellybnzw),

Is your milk supply really low?

First of all, is your milk supply really low? Often, mothers think that their milk supply is low when it really isn't. If your baby is gaining weight well on breastmilk alone, then you do not have a problem with milk supply.
It's important to note that the feel of the breast, the behavior of your baby, the frequency of nursing, the sensation of let-down, or the amount you pump are not valid ways to determine if you have enough milk for your baby.

What if you're not quite sure about baby's current weight gain (perhaps baby hasn't had a weight check lately)? If baby is having an adequate number of wet and dirty diapers then the following things do NOT mean that you have a low milk supply:

* Your baby nurses frequently. Breastmilk is digested quickly (usually in 1.5-2 hours), so breastfed babies need to eat more often than formula-fed babies. Many babies have a strong need to suck. Also, babies often need continuous contact with mom in order to feel secure. All these things are normal, and you cannot spoil your baby by meeting these needs.

you can read much more from, http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html#supply

jellybnzw,
maybe she's not tired enough?
Does she take short naps?
Do you burp her well after she drinks milk?

How much fenugreek r u taking?
How many mg/pills per day?
How much water are you drinking?

thanks leng leng for the information. But what does brestmilk exactly made from? It just says the milk is produced in small clusters of cells called alveoli. The milk travels down milk ducts to the milk sinuses, which act as a collecting reservoir. My logic as what my mum explains is that the blood flows to the breast and from there the breast will take the fluid and nutrient from the blood to produce milk so maybe that where it occurs in the alveoli....

xueyi, I have no baby to breastfeed now. My 'bb' is now 2yrs old - a toddler
happy.gif
and I fed until 18mths.

ew, does your gal has jaundice? Sometimes it will make her feel sleepy. So instead of drinking till she is full, she may fall asleep halfway while latching and then after a short while she wakes up again to drink.

Hi to all mummies,
the previous time i took fenugreek, it only take two days to see the effect and i smell of maple syrup.. now i've been taking fenugreek for 5 days but my milk supply still decreasing bit by bit.. NOw i can only pump 80-100ml every 2-3 hours. Really hope to breastfeed for as long as i can. but guess i will have to supplement with formula milk liao..

jayce,
i was told for fenegreek, u'll have to take 6 capsules a day to see effect. but i forgot how many mg per capsule.

my BM also getting lesser since going back to work. Now after a 2-day trip w/o bb and a bout of fever n cough, my per pump only yield 80ml MAX now!!

essanna,
during this period,
try taking 2 caps 6 times a day.
Then reduce to 3 caps, 3 times a day.

I'm taking GNC's fenugreek 610mg a cap.

Rem to drink 3L of water a day,
2L for ourselves, 1L for producing BM.
happy.gif

I have GNC's fenegreek too. Sigh I think I must set alarm to remind myself!

3L!!! Oops, maybe that is why my BM dwindling. I think I max only 1L!

Hi Leng Leng,
i'm also taking GNC fenugreek 610mg too. I'm taking 3 capsules 3 times a day(9 capsules a day). Is this enough? Other than water, milo/milk/fruit juice/soup also can be counted in the 3L of water right?

Xueyi (jayce) and essanna, not drinking enough liquids is only one of the reason milk supply drops.

Another reason is also if you are pumping exclusively and are now pumping less frequently than before, so do try to increase the frequency of pumping and duration pumped.

Always remember that demand = supply, so if you want to produce more milk, you must stimulate your breasts more to indicate that it needs to increase milk production.

HTHs, jia you!

I'm pumping while i'm at work, and latch my girl when i'm home/nights/weekend.. Due to my hectic work, i can only pump 15 minutes per pumping session(both breasts). I think this is the reason why my milk supply has decreased..

essanna,
just pop in after your meals.
happy.gif

No liquid in, where got liquid out? hehe...

jayce,
try taking 2 caps 6 times a day for 2 days,
then back to 3 caps, 3 times a day...
Oh yes, all liquid added up MUST be more than 3L...
happy.gif

Do you feel the yield is better on Mondays?
Cause you pump/latch on more,
also rest/sleep is important too.
Stress will cause supply to drop... *sad*

Hi Leng leng,
ok, i will try your method tml morning coz i ate nine capsules today liao. Yes, monday morning i got the most milk! I tried to wake up in the middle of the night to pump but always can't get up, too tired liao.. Heard from a mum said wake up to pump in the middle of the night for 2 days, milk supply will increase..

jayce,
JIA YOU JIA YOU!

I just rem something,
do not consume these 3 items, they'll reduce/stop supply;
Mai Ya Tang (malt sugar)
Jiu Cai (those spring onion like, but flat, garnish used for mee siam)
San Zha

really? i don't know these foods can reduce milk supply! ok, i will avoid them at all costs.. thanks lengleng!

jayce,
No prob, passed down from my grandma to my mom to me.
happy.gif

essanna,
u know those red round titbits,
my kids love them...
happy.gif

Hi Leng Leng

your boy is so cute & chubby. Like you, i hv 3 kids too. I managed to total bf my #2 boy for a year and thought that i could easily bf my #3

But, it's not as easy as what i think
sad.gif
#3 is now a 5-wker now. He's a comfort sucker and always sleep at my breast. When i thought he had his fill, he will wake up again at 1 - 2 hrs interval for feed. Yesterday nite was worst, i was like bfg him at interval of 1hr + fm 6pm - 11pm until i gave up. Pass my boy to my hub and he fed him formula which lasted him for 3hrs. I'm also taking fenugreek 2 caps 3 times a day as told my GNC sales staff. Din know that i could take 3 caps?

Lagi more stress when during the 1mth review, PD say ideally he should gain 1kg fm birth weight but he only gained 600g. jia lat!! How, should i supplement him?

Hi Leng leng,
mai ya tang = malt sugar, then what about milo? Milo is made from malt right? i drank about 2 glasses of milo daily leh..

Y'day i brought my girl for 3rd dose of injection. Now she's 7.5kg at 5.5mths. Shall i feed her solids now? I fed my boy solids when he's 4.5 mths, too early i know! Don't know is it bcoz i feed him solids too early, now he keep falling sick(now 3 yrs old)..

Hi flowy,
thank you.
happy.gif

Have you tried pumping out & feeding him by bottle?
How old is he now?
Another reason may be, he's not drinking enough hindmilk,
do you switch breast at every feed? (those 1-2 hours feed)

jayce,
I drink milo too, but only 1 scoop mixed to regular milk, I drink lots of milk...
happy.gif

I started cereal at 6th months for our kids.

Ladies,
if possible, try to eat lots of fish,
else lots of milk,
else lots of "soya bean" stuffs, toufu, soya bean drink,
dao kee, dao kua, dau hu... everything soya bean!!

Hi Leng leng,

everytime i drank 4-5 tsp of milo with water & condensed milk. I prefer milo/soya milk than milk, prefer sweet stuff =)

Flowy, u wanna try papaya soya milk? It works for me..

Hi Leng Leng
Mine is a 6-wker now. Yup, did pump & feed him by bottle. Since i'm a ftwm, I need to ensure that he's able to drink fm bottle. The problem is, he will be able to withhold 2.5 - 3hrly if he drinks fm both breast. Have to try all means to ensure he don't sleep after drinking fm 1 breast.

Hi Xueyi
where you get papaya soya milk? nice to drink? hee

jayce,
careful not too gain too much weight with sweet stuffs.
happy.gif

flowy,
worse case, keep expressing & let him drink lor,
it'll also be easier for you to return to work.
Make sure to pump out from one breast fully for each feed, to ensure he gets enough hindmilk.
If got extra, give to elder one.
happy.gif

leng leng, i'm already gained alot of weight =)
Appetite don't seems to go down leh. Today only managed to pump 3 bottles of 100ml ebm, not enough for my girl!

hi,just check cos my bb is only 3wk old.And i'm scare tat he didn't drink the hindmilk so everytime he feed is only on 1 breast. then should i pump the other breast also???cos he everytime sleep awhile then will wake again.so scare he haven drink enough. so don't dare to pump out the other side of the milk and the confinement auntie keep saying i nt enough milk,tat why the bb haven had enough so he won't sleep long.....
izzit true????

Back