Advice needed! I am 7 weeks pregnant with second be and was told to stop breastfeeding my first chi

huiling1983

Hi Mommies,

I need some advice here..I'm currently 7 weeks pregnant with my second bb and I intend to tandem breastfeed for the first and second one..my elder bb is currently 13 months..however, when I visited my gynae lately, I was advices by her that I should stop breastfeeding as it will cause miscarriage and contractions too..
Any mommies has any experience in tandem breastfeeding?

I was in a similar situation as you, got pregnant with #2 when my little one was 13mths old too. I had spotting during first trimester and am not sure if it was associated with breastfeeding, so to be safe I stopped breastfeeding (though with much reluctance).

There are 2 schools of thought; some gynaes say it is okay to carry on as long as the mummy eats well, while others say stop. My gynae said it was okay to continue but I didn't want to take chances.

Hi care_bear,

I went to seek advice from lactation consultant and she said that I have to stop breastfeeding if there is any spotting or contraction. So far so good, just that my breastmilk supply drop drastically, so I'm supplementing my elder one with formula.

Have you manage to wean off your elder one?

My #1 weaned off without problem. It is said that the taste of our BM changes during a new pregnancy due to hormonal changes, which makes some bbs lose interest in breastfeeding.

I am now at 34 weeks' gestation.

Hi care_bear,

yup, I read that there will be a change of BM taste that makes baby self wean. Wow..u r at 34th week, how is it like handling your elder one and being pregnant now?

It has been tiring but good thing I have a helper at home, so I just focus on playing with #1 and spending quality time with her.

Initially #1 doesn't understand that I am going to have a baby, but since the recent 2-3 months she is now aware and will come point to my tummy and hug when we ask her "where is didi". And she is very interested in babies nowadays.

Then 2 days ago my helper said she & my girl saw a mummy carrying a baby getting into a cab and my #1 burst out crying when the baby "disappeared" from her sight. I hope when the reality of #2 comes and needing so much of me & my hubby's time, jealousy and sibling rivalry won't set in. That is my greatest worry.

Hope you hv a smooth pregnancy
happy.gif

Hi care_bear,

Yeah, I'm also worried about the jealousy part, moreover, my elder one will be close to 2 years ('terrific' two..haha) old when the 2nd one arrives..

Congrats, you have a boy boy and girl girl now..

Have a smooth delivery too~

Thanks, Huiling. You too
happy.gif
So you are continuing your breastfeeding journey for now? It was quite sad when I stopped, cos it took so much perseverence and determination for me to get on track in the journey.

Hi Care_bear,

Yup, I'm still breastfeeding my girl but supply drops so much that I have to supplement her with formula, I don't know how long I can last, will see how things go..as I do not get any moral support thus it can be quite depressing.Yeah me too, initially my breastfeeding journey wasn't smooth as it was demoralising as I do not get any moral support.

No worries, you have provided the best milk (breastmilk) for your girl for more than a year.

Btw which gynae r u visiting now? Is it the same as the first?

Jia you, Huiling. You're doing great and have been a wonderful mum for the past 1 year plus! Anytime you need moral support just come in here to the forum, that's what it is meant for. I can fully understand what you mean cos we are in a similar boat. By exchanging notes and knowing that we are not alone helps in the journey...

I am going back to the same gynae, Dr Devendra of SGH. Very comfortable with him as he is very gentle, calm and reassuring. How about yourself?

Thanks Care_bear..hmm you did not receive moral support too?Yeah, I almost wanted to give up after listening to the negative comments during my confinement, luckily, I did alot of research in here on how to breastfeed
happy.gif

Me too.. my gynae is Dr Heng from Parkway East Hospital.

hmm..your girl is in childcare centre now or your helper is looking after her?

Hi,

Iam currently expecting no 4 and no 3 is 15 mths old. I have not seen a gynae ad right now i am still latching and pumping. Is ok right as long as my body can take it?

Hi Serene,

I'm currently 20 weeks preggy, I still comfort latch my 1st child, as you will realise your milk supply will drop drastically. Thus, I'm supplementing her with formula milk. Ultimately, the taste of the milk will change and your no 3 might self wean. Right now, the texture of my breastmilk is more like colostrum. As long as you don't find any spoting or feel contraction, it should be fine. Just keep yourself hydrated and have more rest.

Hi,

you better play safe and stop laching if you ask me. And the taste of the mils will change and your bb may not like it anymore.

Back