ADVICE NEEDED - How to Handle my MAID

Just to share my sis 1 and 2 maid is from Indo and they both have problem.

The Indo 1st maid is lazy and cant get along with niece - my niece who is only about 3 years just doesnt like her. Used her for about a year then send her back - everyday face black black.

The Indo 2nd maid - is not that bad but also can't get along with my niece . . . thou she dont know how to handle kid meaning playing with them. At least she can do housework lah. She lie to my sister that her family got problem and need to go back urgently so my sister being nice let her back and she never return. And she darn to called my sister to return her back the money that she has put here for deposit. What a liar!

Do the Indo maid really think that are that stupid??? Being nice to them doesnt mean we are stupid right - never take bite the hand that feed you.

Now my sis learn her lesson and is willing to pay abit more extra to get a Filipino maid. One and half years gone the same maid is still around and she get along well with my niece. . . think Filipino maid is still better and they can really take care of kid better as well.

I just dont safe leaving my kid Indo maid either they take us for ride or they think they can get away with murder.

sha, i guess getting maid is really heng suay lor. my sis has 2 maids both indo and she has no problem. i ve some friends who have indo maid also fine but of course there are problems one too...

i ve another gf who has phil maid. initialy was ok but later she wanna go n study nursin and requested to ve 2 days off. when my gf refused, the problems started. as she needed to renew her passport, my gf made a mistake by lettin her went alone and she nv come back after that. that nite my gf managed to get her aunt who was in spore too. told the aunt if she not coming back my gf gg to make police report. the maid dan come back but purposely left the passport at her aunt place.

so conclusion really heng suay lor.

Sarah,
if you are not happy with her send her back. After confronting her and she still not willing to change, she just don't respect you as the employer and moreover she is not willing to change and is not scare of you at all.

Why risk your family and yourself - a maid is stranger and getting a maid is just as good take a bet. Just like gambling exposing you and your family to danger as well.

It will be dangerous to keep her close to you and family, if she has such an attitude as you would not know what she might be do next you can't read her mind.

I heard from hubby colleague that once his colleague wife scold the indo maid and the next day when the couple went to work and the wife called home and ask her what she is doing, the maid reply I am going to make curry for dinner tonight. The wife remember that she did not buy any chicken or curry power and get abit worry so rush home and called the hubby and when she reach home she saw the maid applying oil on the baby. . .scary right. . .

Zenn,
ya lah. . . that is why I believed in getting a maid is like gambling lor. . . hehehehe. . .

Sometime I wish that they maid can think more postive and understand why they are here in the first place.

They are here to work and earn money morever they dont get to spend much money as well: eat, stay, etc are under the employer expense why they are still unhappy unless the employer ill-treat them right?

Hello sarah,

I will agree that if u cannot accept her behaviour, then you should send her back. Since she is helping you look after your kid, its better to be careful.

Hi zenn,

yalor, really depends on your luck...Me still hoping tat I will get a gd one tis time round :)

my requirement v simple as oni need the maid to do hsework n cook...mum will b taking care of my ger...selected one n now pending mom's approval.

earlier maid work 4 a wk n wan to go back indonesia. went back liao....

me really cannot understand these maids, they should be more responsible when they made up their minds to leave their families to come spore to work. sighhhh

hi zenn

got a foc replacement within 6 mths.....Upset tat gotta use this replacement as it is not fault on my part. its the maid who does not wanna work n i hv to b penalised....:-(

hi och, ok thanks!

hi hsee, but u still ve to pay for their course fee + optional ins rite? talkin abt replacement, does it mean they will replace after the maid left? will there be any period whereby we will ve no maid?

zenn,
yes, u will still need to pay for their course fees + insurance, unless the agent does not charge for course fees in the first place.

there might be a period of time where u might hv no maid.

fr what i understand, most agencies require u to give them 1 month to find another employer for ur maid. during that period of time, u will still be responsible for the maid's levy. u stop paying levy when the maid finds a new employer. u can choose to let the maid continue working for u or to return her to the agency.

when the next maid arrives depends on whether u r getting a transfer or if she is coming fr her home country. mom's regulation is that u hv 21 days after ur new maid arrives to cancel ur previous maid's work permit. it usually takes abt a month for the new maid to arrive, so depending on whether u returned the maid to the agency immediately or not, when ur maid arrives etc, u might hv to endure a period without a maid. some pple feel compelled to choose a transfer maid as a result.

hi zenn,

wat och said is correct.....one additional pt is that if you get the 2nd maid and your 1st maid is not transferred out after the 21 days, then u will need to pay $100 fine. If ur 2nd maid is from the same agency, dun tink that will be a problem as the agent will try to transfer out your 1st maid.

hsee,
1.5 months ago, i picked a filipino maid as a replacement. 2 days b4 she's due to arrive, agent called me to say she still has not appeared in manila for her flight. turned out her husband is not willing to let her leave n refused to give her money for her trip, cos she has 3 kids. i told the agent if that's the case, i'll rather select another maid now, since she will most likely be distracted when she arrives. it will be worse for her n i if she comes, faces a lot of family conflicts that distracts her n wants to go home. u know what the agent told me? she told me i should still take her cos the agency already paid for the air tickets. n she added that if there r problems, then there's something wrong with either me or her. her exact words were "who knows what's going on in ur brains". i was so mad i told her off. her reply was that she shouldn't hv told me the maid might not be coming, she should hv just made me wait until i cannot tahan or until the maid manages to find a way to get to manila.

so in conclusions, sometimes the maids might already want to back out, but the agent don't allow them to. all bcos the agents don't want to lose the price of an air ticket.

zenn,
yah, that's why i think it's usually advisable to get a maid early n get past all the teething problems. each maid will come with her own set of teething problems.

zenn,
i emailed u the name of the agency.

btw, the agency charges $188 n promises 2 foc replacements for 1 yr. that was my 1st "replacement", n their attitude turned so nasty. the agency din even bother to let us reselect another maid when we signed the filipino's release form.

Och,
I prepared the sweet and sour pork gravy. After that, I poured some gravy with the capsicum on her plate as I tot capsicum is nutritional. She is able to touch/eat any pork dishes except those pork.

Zenn,
My maid has around 2 yrs JKT experience.

Sha987/Hsee,
You gals have nailed my concern 100%.

I'm contemplating of getting a Myanmar one as without hard fist and maid management experience, may not be able to handle Filipino.

After making the decision of changing her, felt a little sad...She is pretty good a worker, if not for her personality. Lotsa initiative. And a fashion advisor to me. *hiaz*
Well, next concern is...will I end up having a new maid with another set of problem?

Some insight abt these indon maids. Some of them are just plain lazy. They dun like to work too hard. In Indonesia, they are not required to work as hard as in Singapore. Most households would provide a TV for them. So when they finish their work, they just watch television.

We must really monitor them and keep them on their toes.

sarah's mom,
does she know that you prepared the gravy separately? cos my previous maid will also give me a really black face if she suspects i put sauces that has been in contact with pork in her food, even if i did not.

but i think this capsicum problem is a side issue. if she is not doing her work, n chooses to lie instead of give u valid reasons, u r not wrong to feel vexed. i wouldn't tolerate lying in my home too n that's one of the reasons i'm changing maids as well. changing a maid is tough, but at least, u might get a better maid the next time round.

hi och,

wah, tat agent is terrible....for my case, the maid refused to work at my place but when gone back to agent, she said wanna work. Guess wat, few days later, the agent told me that they are going to send the maid back. Told me that it is becos they do not want me to wait for my next replacement bla blabla.... I dun believe any of them n suspect that either the maid refused to continue working or some other reasons. Agent juz refused to tell me the truth. Anyway, din find out the reason...am waiting for my replacemnt. Keeping fingers crossed tat everyting will be ok....sigh....its so difficult to get a domestic helper that is good....

hsee,
aiyo. i don't understand why some maids keep flip flopping their positions. it's just as well ur maid is sent back. hope ur replacement is much better. when maid gives problems, it is so vexing. i'm keeping my fingers crossed too, hope my next maid will be suitable for me. sigh.

the new maid agency i signed with called to tell me that the maid i selected has decided not to come to sg, cos she wants to spend hari raya with her family. sigh, sigh, sigh. need to reselect again.
sad.gif

hello och

at least she consider and think....else it will be troublesome when she come n decide to go back....but u will need to choose another.....hope u dun need her urgently....

hsee,
sigh, yah, i agree, it's better that she doesn't come afterall. just feeling really sian, hv to look through biodata all over again.

i think i hv terrible luck, how come 2 consecutive maids i chose fr 2 different agencies n fr 2 different countries both decided not to come?! boo-hoo. i've been waiting for 5 wks for these 2 maids.

but i think i made a mistake, shouldn't hv told this new agent to hold off the application process until my previous agency (the nasty one!) cancelled the in-principal approval of the first phantom maid. i was afraid the previous agency will drag the cancellation process n they did, i only got the mom's letter over the weekend. in the end, this new maid i wanted decided not to come b4 the new agency can process her application. sigh, sigh.

zenn,
nope, this is fr the new agency. there's a big difference in attitude. this new agent was v. apologetic n sympathetic, asked me if i want her to email me some biodata she shortlisted. i told her to email me yesterday, but now that i think abt it, i think it's probably better that i do the shortlisting myself.

zenn,
there r no refunds for agency fees. it's stated in the contract. the previous agency got me my previous maid, it's the replacement that decided not to appear.

my new agency is nation.

Gals,

I am dilemma now. I have shortlisted 2 n need some advise :

Both age 24, single and worked in Indonesia chinese family

1) Has exp 2mth-2yr old baby and junior high education

2) Has exp of 2-3yr old baby but not new born. Claimed can handle new born and senior high education

First one adv is exp in new born but most feel the 2nd one look more alert. Also my sis ve bad exp wif the first one training school as she choose 4 from the training school and non turned up haha. Also its hard to find senior high education.

Is exp for new born really that impt cos according to my sis their way of handling is v diff from us. No matter how exp we still need to train. Dilemma dilemma....

Hi Zenn,

Think both are equally good. Your sis is right. Their way of handling bb is diff from us. As long as they have some experience in bbs its ok. Anyway, you need to re-train them again. So my advise is choose the one that you are more comfortable with. Seems like you like the 2nd?
Good luck!

thanks pantone!! actually both look ok to me and can speak simple eng (v impt to me) but most votes go to 2nd one. my concern worry is she nv handle new born b4 lor. dunno know how or dare to carry or not. mayb i worried too much hee

ya ..u need to train them yourselves and tell them specifically how you want things to be done!! I am using one myself. Althoug they have worked for Indonesian chinese before, they may not know how to take care of babies the way you want it to be. i find that some of them are not very hygienic. I see how they feed the babies. Aiyoh ... just leave the bottle uncapped!

missk, urs know how to carry new born bb? i see some like dun even really support their neck. see liao also scare.

zenn,
newborn experience is useful, but if u don't think the maid is alert enough, then should go with the other one.

i went maid shortlisting today. aiyoh, the number of biodata available for choosing dropped drastically man.
sad.gif

Hi <font color="ff6000">missk</font> &amp; <font color="119911">och</font>,

Thanks for sharing!! We have place deposit for the 2nd maid. Hopefully she will pass thro all the medical test and arrive smoothly.

Btw, anyone of you have a daily routine to share? What should we do on the first day of her arrival?

<font color="119911">oach</font>, so did u manage to find one? What are ur requirement? I have some datas wif me. If you need I can fax to you.

zenn,
thanks for the offer. i just confirmed a maid today, hopefully, she will be here in 10 days time. what abt u? when will yours be coming?

Hi och,

No problem. Glad that you finally found one. From which agency? Mine no passport so will take a mth or so. Anyway I only need in oct.

What are we supposed to do on her arrival?

hi zenn,
i got mine fr nation.

in preparations for her arrival, i
1) prepare a set of towels, face towels, toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, soap n sanitary napkins for her.
2) if this is your first maid, u will need to prepare her bed, cupboard n pillow + 1 set of sheets. i also prepared a small stool and a table (all from ikea) for her to write letters home or read.
3) prepare a set of utensils, plate, bowl and cup at home (optional). I do it since everybody in the home has their own set of utensils, so she gets one set too.
4) prepare a notebook and a pen for her. this is for her to write down the instructions as she learns.

i usually pick up the maid on sat pm. if u pick up at other times, ur schedule will probably differ. i will
1) ask her to show me the money she has. this is just to establish what types of currency n how much, so that there is no ambiguities in the future.
2) show her her passport and tell her i'm keeping it.
3) buy her a pair of slippers.
4) bring her home and show her around. i start from her room, cos she needs to put down her bag. show her the bathroom where she should put all her toiletries n how to turn on the heater.
5) go through her work. first the rules, then the daily routine (what time to wake up etc). as i run through the list, i will point out where the relevant equipment, e.g. pails, detergents, floor detergent, ironing board, are. i try to only cover only basics on the first day n i tell her to write everything down. it's quite overwhelming to go to a new home and remember a long list of tasks on the first day, so writing down is best for all involved. if u hv a routine printed out, i guess u can give her that. oh yah, i also introduce her to her utensils and everybody's utensils. this i require her to write it down, cos i'm quite particular about no mixing. then i ask her to read out what she has written down.
6) i don't expect her to cook on the first day.
7) ask her to change n we have short mock-up runs, e.g. things to do in the mornings (i.e. boil water, scrub the sink etc), wipe the floor (1 room of floor material is ideal), use the washing machine and/or dryer, iron 1 piece of clothing etc. make sure she turns off the iron though.
8) after that, dinner and she can have a early night. the conscientious ones will read the things she wrote down.

sunshine,
there's a list of all the employment agencies n their demerit points. http://www.mom.gov.sg/NR/rdonlyres/39FA6C75-EC3D-47B9-9078-CAD2812C09F0/11215/060514_ealist_v4.pdf. the demerit point system is implemented only in feb, so don't expect long lists of all agencies bared since 1992. since the list abv only lists agencies which still hv licenses, u will need to use google or other sources of news to find more info abt agencies with their licenses revoked. some sources fr mom:
- http://www.mom.gov.sg/FMMD/ForeignManpowerNewsAlertArchive/. search for "revoke" to find out the alerts they sent out.
- http://www.mom.gov.sg/PressRoom/PressReleases/Archived2005/20051222+Revocationof+EAlicense.htm.

there r agencies whose licenses cannot get renewed. however, i hv never read any info abt those agencies.

Hi och,

Thanks for sharing!!! Actually my bb is due in Jan so meanwhile we actually dun ve much things for the maid to do.

The agency also told me usually we can pick up the maid on sat. Alternatively I can choose to leave her there few more days for training

Back