Advice needed: Asperger's Syndrome & Autism

~dg~

any mummies whose children have these conditions? i would like to hear your experience; when did you see the symptoms in your child, what are the symptoms, what did you do etc.

appreciate the comments, thank you.

Hi, pingping. did you notice,when having fever, body tempreture goes up after taking afternoon nap,yet it goes down naturally at night?

No leh, my son's fever went up at night, and go down slightly in the day. Now he is fully recovered after taking sambucus and chinese medicine, but still hv lots of phlegm. Seems like there is a very strong virus now, cos saw in the forum a lot of kids down with fever.

Sorry forgot to add on the following: Ask the professional who diagnose the condition what you should do for therapy and education. Different children manifest the condition in different ways, what works for one may not always work for another... so the person who actually worked with the child will be in the best position to know.

Hello!

I've a 4 year old son with high functioning Autism. With Aspergers and High Functioning cases, it can sometimes be quite hard to tell until the child is older or if you pay a professional to do it.

I suspected my son had Autism when he was around 18 months but KKH doc keep telling me he's ok. At around 3, I got him checked out by a child psychologist (friend's sis) who was kind enough to spend half a day observing him at home and she confirmed my suspicions.

There are a few things you can try out (but NOT all kids with Autism will show the signs).
An Autistuc child would be likely to do the following (NOT NECESSARILY ALL AUTISTIC CHILDREN THOUGH)
*Look at your finger instead of the object if you pointed at something and asked him to look at it.
*Wave "Bye Bye" with his palm faceing himself.
*Skipped crawling stage.

My kid had delayed speech and was very particular in the way things should be done. Unconsolable tantrums was another sign for me - the only way a tantrum stopped was when he fell asleep crying. Also, he taught himself how to recognise numbers and alphabets before he was 20 months (my husband and I are the most laid back people when it comes to hothousing our children, so no-way he picked it up from home, neither was my son placed in any childcare facilities that could have taught him that). He was (and still is) also totally OBSSESSED with Thomas and Friends. He would know if anyone shifts his displays even by half a cm - not kidding!

If you suspect your kid has Autism, get him checked and sent for therapy ASAP - early intervention is the best thing you can do (I regret ignoring my initial motherly instinct and listening to docs who keep telling me that my son is ok!). KKH does testing for Autism and theraphy too but the waiting time is crazy. Private centres cost more but you get help faster. Also, the records will not appear anywhere - so can choose not to declare the child's Autism status if you don't want to mark him for life.

Another thing is to buy all the insurance for the child in question BEFORE getting him tested. As far as I know, no company would insure an Autistic person.

Just to clarify, am not a professional in the area, but am willing to share what info I have with anyone who might need help. Just PM me.

Hi Tsu Yii,

My boy is coming to 5 years old, he is being diagnosed with Autism.

Can't help but to say hello to you when you mentioned "He was (and still is) also totally OBSSESSED with Thomas and Friends. He would know if anyone shifts his displays even by half a cm - not kidding!" My boy also displayed the same traits. Totally crazy about Thomas and Friends. Todate, he got more than 20+ trains....

Hi i have friends whose kid was diagnosed by doc as autism. my friends can't accept it and continue to monitor. basically the child is shy that why not responding to doc.

my friends child are in main stream now and are like any normal child.

be careful, some doc just go by book and their routine test. If wrongly diagnosed, can you imagine the future of your child.

Do read up on Autism.

just sharing
happy.gif

A book to share with mummies:-

Come into my world:
31 stories of Autism in Singapore written by Brenda Tan

Many voices come together to form this collection of true autism stories in Singapore. This book was written not only to support the autism community. It aims, more than anything else, for the public to understand autism better so that our world would become a better place for autistic individuals and their family members.

http://www.come-into-my-world.com/

Thank you mummies for sharing. A concerned mom here with a 23 mo bub. Would never suspect autism in my child until PD said his intense tantrums and speech delay are early symptoms. I am googling and seeing more signs ... am so scared for my darling boy. Going for formal assessment but it's going to be a long wait. Is there anything I can start doing today?

Just popped when I noticed someone actually opened a thread on Asperger's. To answer Glennia's question, Asperger's and I believe autism too is mostly from the genes. My husband recently identified himself with all the symptoms in a book we borrowed from the library. Like Tsu-Yii said, it's pretty hard to tell till they are about 3-4 yrs old, basically spinning or looking at spinning object, watching dvds over and over again are the common symptoms. Getting books about how to deal with autism from online helps you to be more understanding to your child as it's not an easy journey with not much help around. I regretted not taking PD's advice to go early because solely of the long waiting list of special schools which is precious time lost for getting help for your child. Joan, it took 2 yrs before my daughter uttered her first 2 words and subsequently more and more words came. You have to have great patience but keep talking to her. Everyone starts with Picture Exchange which I have a few to sell if you're keen. Any mummies can PM me too if they don't have the time to do it as my daughter don't need most of them. Just don't vent your frustrations on them as you won't get anything out from them.

this is an enlightening and inspiring video of an austistic child who after a few years of therapy started communicating with her dad. Her dad never gives up on her and spends so much resources and money to send to send her for therapy because he believes in early intervention. I teared when I watched the video and now I look at autistic child from a different angle. They do have feelings, their own mind and know what's going on in them..how amazing...I hope this video gives some hope and insight to mommies with autistic child..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNZVV4Ciccg&feature=share

Hello
perhaps you may be able to find some useful information through this website:
www.specialkidsclinic.com.sg and the FB page through the homepage.
Every child has potential to improve and it is important to provide intervention as early as possible in order to optimize their potential. Intervention needs will also change with the age.
Hope is indeed a powerful motivator and as parents, you are the most important therapist and the most valuable advocator for your child.

Hi All Mummies,
I'm an Indonesian mum living in SG with my family for a long time. I have friends who consulted a Singaporean therapist to help with their children's issues - adhd, asperger,autism,speech and behavioral.

I personally have seen the miraculous changes in the children under her. Her fees are very high but if you are looking for help, you can write to me to get her contact. Please be prepared to wait though as she only takes a couple of children at any one time and bookings are always full.

i have a primary 5 son who is doing a research study on the topic "what are the concerns of parents with special need children in singapore havr regarding the transition from preschool to primary school". He hopes to be a voice to MOE to incorporate programs in mainstream schools for special need students. He hopes that through this research prepare themselves and allievate any concerns parents might have if any special need child ever joins the school. Schools would also have a better understanding on how to take care of these students well. Here is the link for you to fill up thr survey:https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1ynZBgh3qWCgDmJB1n5CB3IjvfGwXB1xVB9DpBvPf_4s/viewform

Hope that you would set aside time to answer the survey. Thanks a lot for your time.

Back