Advice for First Pregnancy

glenc11

Hi!! I just tested +ve on UPT and am quite unsure on how to go about screening and risk for miscarriage... Would appreciate if some mummies could share on gyns to go to and what screening is needed? Saw online to take OSCAR for Down syndrome and that there is the Medisave Maternity Package... Or what tests to avoid a miscarriage

Thank you so so much!! :)

Congrats! Erm. Usually, people will start sourcing for a preferred gynae based on recommendations from friends/relatives or online (if u are not too keen to reveal your pregnancy so early). From there, u book an appt with your preferred gynae (usually first scan wont be too early because gynae may not be able to see anything on the ultrsound yet). Alternatively, if u want to go subsidised route, u can go polyclinic for a referral to KKH, SGH, NUH O&G clinic.

Not sure abt screening for miscarriage though. For OSCAR, it is usually done abt wk 12 to screen for down syndrome and other chromosonal disorders. It isnt very specific (meaning u may get false results) so there are other tests in the market as well which test similar yet slightly different things eg. Harmony test, panorama. All these shld be discussed with your gynae who would advise u on the different tests and their costs.

In short, find a gynae first. You can switch to another one halfway if u dont like the first one you go to :)

Hi!! I just tested +ve on UPT and am quite unsure on how to go about screening and risk for miscarriage... Would appreciate if some mummies could share on gyns to go to and what screening is needed? Saw online to take OSCAR for Down syndrome and that there is the Medisave Maternity Package... Or what tests to avoid a miscarriage

Thank you so so much!! :)

Agree with the above reply. Your first priority is to look for a good gynae or obstetrician who will help you plan your pregnancy and tell you which tests you need to take, and when you need to take them. If you haven't yet found a gynae and you're close to the AMK area, I'd suggest you check out Dr Ben Choey. He's private but really good and hands-on.

Back