Advice - Is it ok to home teach a 4-year old and 5 year-old?

stephz

Is it ok to home teach 2 children (nursery and K1) for half a year without them going to school?

Any advice?

Hi Pam,
thanks, I am aware that children nowsadays are different from the past.

For my kids, they have already known their ABCs and 123 well. My elder child, tho' now 4 years old, has already been assessed to have a reading ability of P1 level. Currently, my kids are attending a number of enrichment classes which they enjoy very much.

That's part of the reason why I was thinking of hometeaching them, as I have some issues about their pre-school and as I will be sending them to child-care around April next year (when I return to the workforce).

I have decided to let them continue in the pre-school (since it is just a few more months to go) and take it as a break for me when they are in school.

Thanks for the website, the mother in the blog is an inspiration (cos' I think I'm rotting day by day, hahah...).

Have a nice day.

Hi stephz

can I know how to assess the child's reading ability? I am curious to know what is my ds reading ability.

Hi all, thanks for sharing.. is really an inspiration for us as working mother too! I always wants to do something different from CC, lab-book is a great idea!

Hi blueblue, my gal was being assessed at an enrichment centre where she is able to go direct to level 3 which is equivalent to the P1 level.

One of the assessment done was on the reading comprehension of a few passages (think it's in different level of difficulties) which my gal was able to read fast and also answering the questions correctly without even referencing to the passage.

You can use Jeanne Chall's Six Developmental Stages in Reading as a gauge of your child's reading ability.

Pam, I didn't really intend to assess my girl's reading level. Just that, she can read since age 3 and we had just returned from overseas end last year. Since this year is her 1st in school, so was checking then to see if she is ok for her age group as she has never attended any phonics class other than my own teaching.

My girl is currently in Level 3 and she is coping well in her class tho' she is the only 4 years old among the 6 and 7 years old classmates.

We had put her in Level 2 for a few lessons initially, tho' she has been assessed to be in Level 3, as our concern is not whether to be in higher level, but in the level suitable for her. So far in level 3, she's been having full marks for her spelling and she actually prefers to be in level 3 than level 2 class (when I checked with her as I'm a little concern if it is too difficult for her).

I have never controlled/dictated what she read. As she can actually read very well, so she practically read anything, from the Usborne Pocket Scientist, Robin's series, Little Miss series, Bible stories for Bedtime etc. She's now into reading the Geronimo Stilton's paperback storybooks which we bought from MPH recently.

Can share more about the lapbooking class? It's new to me.

happy.gif
thanks for sharing

Back