Advice-Baby sucking fingers!

jwork

mummies:
a)any of your bb likes to suck his or her fingers? how to stop baby from doing that? i temporary let my baby wears mittens for a while, then sometimes take off, but have to let go of mittens sooner or later. any better solutions?

hi there,

my boy does dat leh...he's 13 mths old le, bt he sucks his thumb when he wants to sleep...
hw old is yor bb?
i think most bb likes to suck their fingers n we gt to keep them clean lor...

hi mybabydream,

i supposed all babies naturally want to suck their fist or fingers. mine subconsciously does that when she passes her full month.

i stop her immediately taking her hand away from her mouth and give her a pacifier.why? a lot of people said that pacifier is a bad habit and that the baby's mouth will not look nice.

mine thinking is that it is better to give a pacifier which you can weane it then to let the baby suck it's hand as you cannot weane the hand, it is always part of the body. the baby can suck it anytime it wants conveniently when you are not looking.

mybabydream,
My baby boy sucks his thumb even when he was inside my tummy
happy.gif
I saw during ultra-sound scan.

I also give pacifier to him. When your baby grows older, he will suck on anything he can lay his hands on. Sometimes I will give him a piece of biscuit to bite on. Anyway don't worry, there should be no problem, it helps to build up their resistance to germs.

mybabydream...

it's normal that babies will start putting their fingers, thumb or even their whole fist into their mouth.. hehe... My daughter also does that, so normally i will give her the pacifier or i'll give her the teether or rattle to let her put inside her mouth...

I agree with lily that it's easier to weane them off the pacifier than frm their hand..
happy.gif
next time when they're older, u can slowly weane them off...
happy.gif

my baby is 9 weeks old. hmn...i did try giving her pacificer but she spit it out. is it coz she's too young and doens't know how to suck yet?

mybabydream,

my girl also doesn't like the pacifier. she spits it out too. what i did was put the pacificer in her mouth and hold in on a while for her until she sucks properly before letting go of my finger. after a while, she gets used to it. sometimes she will still want to suck her fist or thumb, i will quickly give her the pacifier.

it is always like this with babies. it takes a little time for them to adapt.

hi ladies

Just wanna share wif u gals....I used to give her avent pacifer but she always spit it out until my sis's colleague recommend this Tommee Tippee pacifer. Its really very good cos the pacifer is desige according to bb mouth........now she dun spit it out anymore...

hi mybabydream

u can get it at Istena Katong....the rest if the Istena dun sell ok.......ya u cab also tey Mums n Babes in PS...

Hi,
First time posting msg here. My son is going to be 3 mths old. He likes to suck his fingers alot too. I dun really stop him, my mum says it's normal, it's actually comforting for bbs to have something to suck. I give him pacifier also, using pigeon one, pretty good I think. Coz my boy always went to sleep after sucking the pacifier

my son coming 3 years old still sucking his thumb. trying to stop him but unable to.
both me and my hubby sucked thumb when we are young. my mum said this is our inheritance...kekekeke

mybabydream,

I gave my daughter pacifier when she's one month old, she also always spit out. But subsequently she's ok with it. I gave her avent pacifier cos you can get it practically any shopping centres so if you lose it outside you can get it easily. Prefably buy one that is more popular.

It is recommended to change the pacifier once its abit worn out cos of hygiene and safety and also don't let your baby get use to the old one's smell if not they'll refuse the new one. This happens to my niece.

mgteo:
tks. how long did your daughter take to be able to suck w/o spitting out? and is there a need to sterilise everyday?

Hi all,

My bb will only be due this April.. but can share my experience with you regarding this issue:

I sucked my thumb till I was 5 to 6 years old.. my parents could not stop me from doing so.. eventually I grew up with bugs bunny teeth and didnt think very much about it until I went to have my wisdom extracted when I was 19.. my orthodontist then discovered that the cause of my bugs teeth was cos I was still sucking my thumb when my jaw structure changed at age 5 to 6 (that goes the same for every child). I went through 3 very painful operations to correct my jaw structure.. and my orthodontist also mentioned to me that they can insert something into the child's mouth to help prevent them from sucking their thumb too much.. you guys might want to find out more about this from your dentists if you really find it hard to stop your child from sucking his/her thumb or fingers.

hmmm, chanced upon this thread and am curious. If sucking of fingers/thumb will cause that, why wldn't pacifiers?

my eldest sis told me that she was sucking her thumb till she was quite old leh - sch age i think but her teeth weren't protuding or 'out of shape' for that matter. In fact, her teeth are even straighter than mine!

hi, my elder daughter, 18mths nw, was oso use to suck her thumb...dono when she'll quit...

my aunty's son, pri 1 already, now still sucking the finger....

most ppl said children who suck their finger, always very hard to quit 1...

my girl, early when she's 1 mth old, i gve her pacifier, but she don want, she also eat her mitten, when time passed, she's so used to it already then now whenever she want to drink milk, eat food, or slp, she'll suck her thumb...

mum05

This I'm not too sure.. but like what Jeslyn mentioned.. it is alot more difficult to wean a child off from thumb sucking then pacifier (as the thumb is always there and easily available). Guess it might differ from person to person but try not to let your child suck his/her thumb for too long just in case.. if there are no such cases around.. I guess orthodontists wont come up with the device to insert into the child's mouth to prevent / minimise thumb sucking..

hunnie, some bbs wean off by themselves...
Actually, to be honest, we all cant be too sure abt all these so-called experts' findings, sometimes not all completely true as afterall, they're all meant to 'make money'?

Like breastmilk... In the past, when we were studying Human & Social Biology, it was in the book that breastmilk is not complete in nutrients and lack especially 2 elements(which I simply cant recall which), then now they said it's good. So, very hard to say rite?
Even rite now, u can find different sources of info telling u that "u hv to be more mindful of wat u eat when breastfeeing to produce nutrients to yr bb" and there are also some that says, no need. So, there again, errr...
but I agree with the notion that the thumb is 'always there for them to suck' hahahah so it'll tend to be more difficult to wean them off but wat to do, when yr child wants to suck his/her thumb...
lame.gif

however, hving said that, there are also alot of kids still sucking pacifiers n refuse to give up even after gg to school too.

Jesyln, my girl is juz like yr elder girl and she's also hving same name(cant be due to e name rite? hahahhah, jus kidding), she also rejected pacifier when we gave it to her when she was newborn cos she yearned for breast sucking quite abit then(on non-feeding hours) and my nanny suggested, but too bad, she din want it...and ya, she also 'ate' her mittens then ahhahah(soaked wet all e time)

mum05

Well.. it is up to individuals to believe in these like what you said "expert findings" Mine was a dentist professor in NUS and I was not pregnant then.. so I tend to believe what he says.. and esp having to go through the operation procedure itself.. like I said.. prevention is better than cure.. so try not to let our child be too dependent on thumb sucking..

jes, she's younger than yr girl, coming to one yr old soon
happy.gif

u're still up at this hour ar? Understand that u've juz got another girl recently rite? U still under confinement now?

mum05, ic...my renee 18mths, regine 6 weeks..

regine was sick & need medication,so i stay till so late..

362151.jpg

I rem seeing yr pregnacy pic hehehe... and then I saw renee's bb pics! She was ssoooooooo cute!

That's regine? she looks quite 'big' at 6 wks huh!
poor thing, what happened?

mum05 where u c my pregy pic?
happy.gif

ya, tat's regine, she's having cough & lotta phelgm inside her lungs..so need to use tat to clear her lungs

my mom is clearing for her...

jes, im oso using yahoo messanger, hv sent u an invitation to add me...
kinda 'inappropriate' to 'chat' here hahaha

HI All,

Anyone can help me..
My baby is now 3 months old, she likes to suck her fingers and fist whenever I removed her mittens. Any ways to stop or prevent her from licking or sucking her fingers and fist. I tried giving her pacifier to suck but sometimes she will just spit off the pacificer from her mouth. Sometimes even with the pacifier in her mouth, she will still wants to suck and lick her fist. Any advise on this.

I learned from the other thread that the mums usually removed the mitten after 1st month (not to restrict motor skills etc).

Me girl also will spit off the pacificer from her mouth. Just to share that there are different design of pacifier for different age. The flatter one are for weaning purposes, you can read these on the back of some pacifier. Didn't know that and found that been giving bb the flat type (keke...thot all pacifier are just pacifier, 1st time mummy lor).

Now, bought the correct one for me bb at 2 months (NUK). Same thing, bb will spit off but better - think she don't know how to hold the pacifier in her mouth at this stage. What I did was to place the bean sprout bolster between her pacifier and one of her arm. It works and keep the pacifier in her mouth and most importantly, will not suffocate the child. However, still keep a lookout, just in case. This method works to keep her sucking the pacifier happily without dropping it. Do give it a try.

Sorry, new to this web. Iris - I think your child should be 7 months liao.

from the experience shared by my col, when the bb getting older abt 15-18 mths, she used the nail polish method to stop the bb from stucking her thumb.

bb loves bright color thing so my col applied the bright red nail polishing on the bb's 10 fingers. bb is quite excited abt that and my col told her the nail polish nice nice but got poison one huh, dun put the fingers into mouth or else got poison.

fr the observation, it is tough for the past few days for the bb as she can't get to sleep at night, she toss ard and also remember the poison thing. in the end, after abt 2 weeks, bb did not suck her finger liao.

hey mummies, my MIL says that when the baby sucks her thumb, meaning she is closer to the daddy & if she sucks the 2nd finger, closer to mummy. How true is that?

but surprisingly, my ger ger who tends to suck her thumb closer to dad leh..

My girl besides sucking her thumb, also likes to suck her whole hand. Does that mean she is closer to the whole world. hahaha....

Just to share something. You can just go to the Profile above and chose the relevant thread that you want, then you will be kept informed of any updates in the thread. ie. you don't have to constantly check for new updates on this thread for example, once there's a new post, you will be kept update in your email.

my gal oso like to suck not only her fingers but the whole fist, can suck until got sound somemore. and even when our hand is close to her month, she will try to use her tongue to reach out for it!!

really dun suggest allowing baby to suck thumb. my mom allowed my younger bro to suck thumb (thought can save the pacifer $$) and in the end until now he's still sucking thumb everyday once he gets homes, very bad (already 12 yr old)

i need advice here. my 13 mth old gal likes to suck her thumb (she resist pacifier). now i have the problem of stopping her as she tends to suck it so hard that there's always a deep cut on her thumb. i have tried using a plaster or bandage to prevent her from sucking but she will either suck it till it's wet and pull out the bandage or having problem sleeping because it's the only way to make her sleep. does any mummy face such problem? any suggestion to overcome this problem. i have no problem with her sucking her thumb but if she continues to have cut on her thumb, then it will take a long time to heal.

oh, poor thing. Think the cut is caused by her teeth? Wonder maybe you want to try putting some ointment on her hand lie the medicated oil (very little pls) or something with unpleasant taste but safe for bb to suck. Think the taste will put her off her thumb?

yes, the cut is caused by her teeth. I wonder why it doesn't caused her any pain when she's sucking her thumb with the cut. I did check with her PD and his only advice is to bandage it but it doesn't help at all. I've read somewhere about this biter cream. maybe will try to get it to see if it works.

my 18 mth old boy also likes to suck his right thumb. He has been sucking it since 1 month old. Tried to wean him off, but very difficult. He'll scream & cry if we pull out his thumb. I'm thinking of applying chilli sauce on his thumb but my mum stopped me from doing that. Anyone has better ideas on how to stop thumb sucking?

now, my 25mth gar also suck 2 fingers to slp too. can't help, my caregiver just let it. if my gar is at my hse during weekday, i will stop her liao. I hope she will wean off as I had been telling her it's a shame shame to suck finger as she is big gar now.

hey mommies....i am so so so confused!!!

at first, i thought it is bad to suck pacifier so i actually push his hand into his mouth whenever my son wants to bit/suck anything but he doesnt like to suck his fist. He practically puts everything and anything into his mouth.

then after i sent my son to the infant care center, 1 teacher told me that it is better to give him pacifier cos when he is 8-12months can wean off. then the other 3 teachers told me, if u never give him pacifier then dun give or else difficult to wean off next time.

I am so confused now. My son is 15 weeks and i only occasionally gives him the pacifier in the day time when I am lazy to carry and rock him to sleep. But he doesnt depend on it to sleep at home - i have ways to comfort him to sleep but just that it takes longer time. Now that he is in school, the teachers are not so free to carry+rock him to sleep hence he are giving him the pacifier....geez...

So, is it better to suck fingers or pacifier?

My experience tells me that pacifier is easier to quit. My girl used to suck pacifier when she was born then somehow when she was abt 3 mths, she does not like it anymore & switch to thumb. Now she is 4+ yo & still sucking thumb. After watching a documentary that shows the worms in human bodies then now she is starting to go slow with her sucking. Else, it's a nightmare to stop her from sucking.

My 3rd baby (now coming 15mths) was sucking pacifier too cos a LC adviced us to do so. Then when he was abt 6mths old we noticed that he was able to sleep once without the pacifier & then we tried to wean him off. It took us abt a week or so & now he does not suck anything. But for comfort, he needs his bear that was with him since 3mths old.

Hence, my advice is that pacifier is still easier to wean off as when he is older, he will also be shy abt it. Wherewas for thumb, anytime & anywhere they can just suck.

gosh, its exactly what the teacher told me too, pacifier can wean off but thumb cannot!!

jajnj, did u give ur baby pacifier only when he wants to sleep or as and when u see him putting things in his mouth? my son likes to put his pillow and whatever he grabs into his mouth... does this mean i have to give him pacifier the whole day? my son doesnt suck thum though, but he sometimes do put his fist into his mouth...

Hi Mrs Ko,

I used to give him the pacifier when he was cranky, abt to sleep & when he tried to bite things. He would scream whenever he saw the pacifier if we did not give him.

I think your boy is also at the stage of puting fingers/fist into his mouth. Normally when bb reaches almost 4mths, their gums may be more 'itchy' as some bbs may start to grow teeth. My colleague's baby is abt 4mths & same thing. The bb put his whole fist in etc. Then fever came along then my fren realised that bb was teething already. Quite early actually.

Perhaps u can also get some teething toys (like the cold gel toys) & they tend to feel better biting them.

My bb (15mths) now still put his finger in & 'bite' & sometimes bite us as he is also growing more teeth.

I ever read somewhere that bb's first sense is their taste so they like to put things into their mouth.

cheers

Hi, is there any mummy with real life method of weaning your baby off sucking thumb?

My son is 17th mth old and will suck thumb whether he is hungry or sleepy. Its too late for a pacifier. Thanks

hi..

my boy's hooked up on thumb sucking when he's about 3 months old. we have tried everthing to stop him, pulling his thumb out each time we saw it.. or otherwise.. give his pacifier.. but no use.

it's only recently that one fine day.. he decided to stop sucking his thumb.. he's 25 months now.. so can you imaging how long he has been sucking his thumb and how awful his thumb looks like..imaging a thick layer of skin on his thumb and kept peeling off each time he tries to suck.

guess he's older now and he understand when we told him (it's actually my aunt) who threaten to bring him to see doc and told him doc would 'chop' off his ugly thumb if we ever see him sucking again.
for the first few days.. it's hard on him.. he would cry for his thumb but yet dun really dare to put it inside his mouth as our eyes are on him (and we would remind him each time we sees it).. and soon enough.. he seems to have forgotten about the urge for thumb sucking..
he has been free from thumb sucking for about 2.5 or 3 months now..

Back