A Childcare To Recommend Ard Bt Batok, Toh Yi, Jln Jurong Kechil?

I understand from a friend that Sun Laoshi will be teaching mandarin speech and drama soon at a kids enrichment place in turf city, intend to sign my boy up for that.

ger mum
u mean she'll be leaving the sch? i saw her doing story telling this morning..v good! Any comments abt the English teacher who's Malay? i'm likely to sign my ger up now.

hehe... actually i'm not the spokesperson. But I'm sharing my experiences, coz it is really difficult to find a good childcare. My gal is very clingy to me, and also, it is the teacher's passion that managed to convince me that the cc is not out to 'earn ur $$', but rather to educate and take care of our babies..
happy.gif

My gal started TELC when she's 23 months, now she's already 32 months, and is in the N1 class.

English teacher will be Ms Ijah.... not bad, quite good with children.
Actually all the teachers in TELC are highly qualified and passionate in teaching the children, so dun worry!...
happy.gif

hoshi
my gal is coming 23 mths too, will be likely to start her in july this year...she will be in the same room wif ur daughter then since the pg & N1 r tog...maybe i saw ur ger this morning when i was there during their lunchtime...hahah u can ask her if she saw this ger looking hungrily at their porridge lol...

No sun lao shi not leaving, I think it's extra enrichment class she does on weekend. Better not ask her infront of her colleagues, may not be good for her. Not sure what the policy is in TELC but I should think the teachers are free to do extra teaching on their own time.

Yah, the PG and N1 kids are in the same room.. and think the group is expanding, as such, Miss Peggy has highlighted that they will be bringing more teachers to help out in the classes. It is really not easy for one teacher to take care of so many child!!.. haaha...

TELC is a private company, so I guess there shldn't be much rules abt private teaching... but seriously, she's a very good and passionate teacher. My gal loves her the most!!...
biggrin.gif

hi hoshi
I've been to TELC but have yet to send my girl in as I was hoping to send her in June. Still torn over a couple of places.

Can I check with you, what kinda meals do they serve in TELC? Does your girl have enough to eat? Ever since your girl starts school, does she fall sick very often? Cuz its airconditioned and its alot of kids in there, that's my main concern
sad.gif

So far, the meals are variety like porridge, fried rice, rice, siew-mai, etc etc...

Falling sick is actually a very common thing everywhere in every cc.... tat's nothing much we can do except try to build up their immunity.

ginger
i saw the kids eating porridge that day...wif bits of carrot & meat, i think. They say they dun use MSG for their meals...

ya, actually, ideally, i hope for a non-a/c environment too since they probably will not hv a/c classrooms in pri schools so dun spoil them now. hahha

do u ladies know if they will be doing up their playground? i thot the slides etc seem a tad old...r ur kids having fun there?

yah i understand fallig sick is very common. i'm worried cuz i have a 3 month old baby at home
sad.gif
worried that the elder one will pass on to the baby. so your DD is in N2 now?

Cheri
Yah the admin told me no MSG, just some seasoning. they told me that they would be "renovating" their playground. my siste inlaw who studied in SIM told me she see the kids taking walks everyday. So not restricted to play ground.

Yup, the playground is quite old. And yes, the children will go out for outdoor play everyday (provided it's not raining).

During outdoor play, they will exercise by stretching, running round, play balls, jump hula hoops, etc etc.....
happy.gif

My gal is in N1 now... she's coming to 3yrs old in Aug...

ginger
yeh, they will be renovating the playground! hahaha...i was told the older kids get to walk to the field opposite the food courts to play but not the younger ones. The walk is a tad long for them, i heard.

hoshi
ur ger plays only in the playground or the field? do they let them do stuff like catch caterpillars etc? heheh i would love it if they let them wear ponchos etc to play in the rain. So fun!

My son is 20 mths. actively lookin 4 childcare at west area. after visiting many, consider

- sunflower at jln jurong kecil
- kinderland at ulu pandan

anyone have kids at these CC, can share experience?

rachel
i hv been to sunflower to recce b4, it's walking distance from my place. I dun like it cos the room they r housing the playgroup & N1 kids is a really small & cramped, ill-ventilated room. The older kids much better, in a/c rooms upstairs. Hv u been there b4 or just thinking of going there for a look-see?

hi cheri
i visited last wk and know that they r going to move someway nearby in 2 months time. The new environment should be much better hopefully...

The teachers r friendly, patient n very westernize… emphasize on building up child’s communication and confidence by encouragement and care.... but I do have concern on cleanliness, environment n lesser program…

will visit them 2nd time...

rachel
ic...where r they moving to? out of toh yi estate? i was quite impressed by their centre supervisor though but too bad she's leaving for further studies. The playgroup teacher is from HK rite? or hv they changed to someone else? i find her english accent too strong. Not the best model for our tots to learn English from. just my thots though...

they r moving just two streets away from the current location. i met another teacher and she speaks strong accent too but was impressed by her patient and passionate.

ur gel is now with TLEC? i visited the cc before also.

rachel
i've enrolled my ger for telc to start in july this year...how u find the place? where do u stay?

I am staying at b.batok.

on top of all the criteria hoshi mentioned, i'm more emphasizing building up kid's imagination and creativity. all school claimed their program will help hence it make me very difficult to choose.

Find telc is good. Teachers and program both are impressive. It is the cleanest in all cc I visited. But i will prefer creative at ibm more because it is bigger and they use a lot materials to inspire creativity which I did not see it in telc during my short visit. You can visit http://www.creative-o.com.sg/ to find their activities.

But they only take in kids 24 months and above and my son is younger than this. Initially I wanted to enroll him to playgroup asap. But I may wait awhile coz of the HFM outbreak.

busymum
my ger is a may 06 baby so should be abt same age as ur son then. Creative O seems fab on the website too. I've heard abt it in the past but din check it out. Hv u put him on the waitlist, if there is one?

Yup, Creative O was also listed as one of my choice when I did my research. The fees is quite similar to TELC...
But I ended up choosing TELC coz of the lower teacher-ratio rate, and that the teachers are so passionate!!....

oh, another thing... TELC is also doing their due diligence. For eg, they continued with monitoring every child's temperature, checking their hand/foot/mouth even during normal times and not just during the HFMD outbreak. This, I find it quite good coz they are constantly monitoring the child, and not doing it just for the sake of monitoring.
Another cc which I visited, did not do any monitoring at all. They only did it during the HFMD outbreak, which might be too late then.

my son is aug 06 baby. so have to wait till Aug. think creative-o is $150 cheaper ($900 before sub). they class size is bigger, ratio is 4:14.

I will be putting my girl in Creative O too..

now dunno whether to put her in June as planned due to the HFMD situation...

hoshi
actually the other day when i went TELC to make payment in the morning, realized that they din check my ger & we saw a couple of kids late for sch, they just entered & dun think any teachers checked them. Loophole perhaps cos the teachers were all oredi teaching? maybe u can fan ying fan ying to them hahaha...esp hfmd so scary now. Just takes one kid to spread.

mh
june still a mth away...but if by late may still hfmd, if i'm u, will postpone liao.

Oh really??.... But now, they just started the restriction. Parents are not allowed into the premises. And they must press the door-bell, and the teacher will bring the kids out. Guess it's added precaution...

TELC adjusted their school fees... now super-duper ex man!!

hoshi
guess i went b4 they started the new rules. IF parents r not allowed into the premises, then teacher will help them pack their stuff from the locker? hhhmm if parents r not allowed in at all, how do we know they r doing their job well? there should be some degree of transparency & accountability rite?

I think it's the temporary added security measures due to the hype of the HFMD....
But dun worry, the teachers are always taking photos of the kids in school, so u will know how's their progress...
happy.gif

Oh, they are gg to the zoo next wed!...

hoshi
they email u the pics regularly?

next wed zoo? too bad my ger has class in the morning or i'll bring her along to join hahah..good for her to know the teachers etc so less separation anxiety when she starts sch...they going in the morning? R u going too?

Hi MH, busymum,

Have you sent your children to Creative O? How are the teachers there? Do they focus on Mandarin education?

The strong point in TELC is their Chinese teachers. But with the fee hike, am thinking of switching my child to Creative O. It was in my list at the point when I enrol my child to TELC but on comparison of the fees, enrolled to TELC.

For HFMD, I belive most cc with fees >$500 are taking good precaution to avoid the children from infecting. The previous school that my child attended are very diligent in checking even before HFMD outbreaks. Frankly speaking, TELC only just started during the HFMD outbreak but the previous school my child attended started since 2 years back.

Regarding the food in TELC, think is much better, the meals come with more ingredients.

TELC teacher children ratio is low in paper. During this school holidays, teachers are taking leaves. If you visit the school now in the afternoon, you would find that it is pretty "empty".

Have enrolled him in July intake. They emphasize in both languages.

Me too. TELC was my initial choice but I finally settle with Creative-O after comparison of the fee. However after a few visits, I really like the ways they teach.

Anybody interested to work part-time? My company is looking to get part-timer (work from home) to do customer services for an online survey portal.

It is long term basis and the person has to be good in computer and with some marketing experience preferable. She is responsible to reply customers enquiry, do reward fulfillment etc via email.

It is work from home basis and only need to report work once a week. That’s I think many non-working mums in this forum might be interested.

If interested. Send the enquiry to “contact us” on www.mymailmoment.com

Hi,
Is this thread still alive?
Wondering about Caterpillar Cove and TELC. Any one has any insight on what the programmes are like and how much the fees are for non SIM/Ngee Ann staff?

I hear good things about the place but am handicapped by cost because I have twins and it'll be twice as expensive anywhere I go!

hi mummies,

just wondering if anyone sends their kids to Creative Thinkers along Jln Jurong Kechil? would appreciate any comments on this school and their program
happy.gif

Thanks!

Silence,
both girls are in Creative O now. The younger girl (Jan 2006) really likes the school a lot. The teachers and principal are a passionate lot. We wish that we have enrolled them earlier.

The teachers give learning reports evry 3 weeks and they bring the kids for excursion and learning experience 3-4 weeks...they have programs to involve the parents too...

My girl's K1 teacher is from Taiwan and my younger girls's PG teacher is from China. So proper Mandarin will be taught. We love the programs there...Moreover they got special teachers to come in to teach PE, Visual Arts, Speech and Drama...

ondine,

Creative O offers 13% sibling discount..

Caterpillar Cove is very expensive for non NP staff..Nice environment but I like the teachers and principal at Creative O. They are more real and personal..

hi,

i am looking for a ~3hr playgroup around this area.

have just visit Just Kids in bt batok and would like to search further. this ctr is generally ok but i did not quite like the lack of outdoor activities, and the seemingly low energy level of the teachers i just met.

would like a place offering outdoor activities, on top of strong programs like montessori ones. better still if they are church or christian based.

anyone has recommendations?

Hi,
How old is ur child? generally the teachers are better the previous cc tt my son attends.. my son is in Just kids..n my girl will be going in next month..
so far so good..n i like it..cos they hve enrichment programmes..so can just let them attend, instead of bringing them out for enrichment during wkend..

mi on the contrary prefer their indoor plays..cos i dun like outdoor activites..cos of the germs n also i'm afraid that the teachers may miss out one or two kids when they are at the outdoor..

there is also carpe diem at blk 626

hi forgetmenot

i have fren's son and my own nephew in just kids too. they also gave good feedback. but becos this is the 1st ctr i visit, i wanted to check out more.

my son is 18mths now and i'm expected no. 2 in Mar. So i am contemplating whether i should send him in Feb before i deliver or in Jun when my maternity leave is up. what do u think?

maybe it's the dec hols, as the teachers explained, that's why things seemed a little slow and unexciting when i went there this morning.

Hi Marble,
you will there this morning ah?
is true..now not much kids there oso due to the holidays..tt's y tomolo i dun intend to let my son goes to school..hehe
happy.gif

u shd go in Jan to see..

Do you stay near there and do u drive? cos i find that if u dun drive and dun stay near there.. going to school esp raining days will be a haste..

which is why my kids are taking school bus..

hmm..are you taking care of your son n newborn alone?
cos if u are, how are you going to bring your son to n back from school while carrying a newborn?quite troublesome leh..

can let him go there and mix around with kids..play with them..n learn abit of things..rather than staying at home, watching tv n doing nothing..

tt's how i feel..

but u hve to prepare..cos he is still young..he may tend to fall sick often..

but one thing i dun really like abt just kids..cos they are air conditioned one..

Hi forgetmenot,

i stay nearby, but drive also, so no problem. but now i have problems carrying my boy up to 3rd flr cos no lift..very siong!

my mom is now caring for my son while i work. when #2 comes, my mom cannot handle 2 so want to sent #1 to cc. but i don't believe in full day cc for child below 3 yrs so will only put him in half day cc or 3 hr playgp.

yes, i also dun like the air-con. i thot better to let children play outdoor in the sun/fresh air..

how old are your 2 kids? R they in full or half day cc?

Hi mummies

I am setting up a childcare center and thinking to have a new one setup nearby Bukit Timah area.

Polling your inputs on what u looking for so that maybe you can put your children at my CC once it is up and running
happy.gif

I havent found a good location yet but looking at B Timah area ....

Feel free to share with me your criteria here...

Hi Marble,
hve u been to other cc to see?
both my kids in half day cc..
but i will convert my elder one to full day cc in feb..
n both of them are taking sch bus

Hi forgetmenot

i'm planning to visit a few more. my shortlisted cc's are:
Faith montessori
sunflower montessori
carpe diem in jurong kecil

do you have any recommendations aside from these?

hey,

it was quite enlightening reading thru all the feedback of the various options avail in this part of the woods. i live in bt batok & m thinking of transferring my son (in N2) to carpe diem@ jln jurong kechil.

would really appre comments / feedback fr parents who have put their kids there.

1) how's the sch-parent communication like?
2) is the sch responsive to feedback (ie actually act on them)?
3) sanitation protocol
4) energy, enthusiasm of the teachers - do they really care abt the development of the children?
5) roughly what's the ratio of time spent in indoor-outdoor activities?

i'm an SAHM staying in Toh Yi wif a 2.5 year old daughter. Any mummy staying nearby interested in having playdates on weekday aftns after 4 pm? We can move around the different mummies' homes. Pls PM me if u r keen.

Kell (closetdoor),
My son is attending Creative Thinkers along Jln Jurong Kechil. He is in Step 2 (equivalent of Nursery 1 level).

They take in babies in the year they turn 2 yr old for the Step 1 (playgroup) classes.

Back