2016/08 August babies

Hello everyone! I am new here.

I am into my 9 weeks and having my first appointment at KKH tomorrow. Was on referral by poly.

The thing is this pregnancy was unplanned. I went to poly on 15 Dec to get Norehistherone; already planned to go vacation so i thought might as well delay my period. My period is irregular. But GP asked me to do urine test and shocker, it came back that my hcg was greater than 25! Okay so i stared back at the GP in disbelief, that it was not possible.

I already have a 7 year old girl. Was married in 2000 but i got her in 2008 due to health issues. Almost gave up trying then. Even didnt know she was in my belly after 13 weeks!

By the way, i am an old mom , I am 43 this year.

Of course i am scared. But i want this child. I am ready. Gosh but the feeling of fatigue is worse...i just dont want to do anything. So far i havent had any vomitting, just feeling of nausea.

My girl was born at SGH (Dr Yong TT) but i want to try KKH this time as i have a direct bus in front of my home! I also wish to know if i should switch to private as i am a high risk maternal age so to see the same gynae each time is better, you think?

Any recent mommies who had recent appointments as private patients? Just wondering how much cash i should prepare tomorrow.

Thanks!
I think I spent around $150 when I was in the private suite with KKH. That was 3 years ago. Don't know whether the price has risen.

Hi hi,
I jus saw my gynae at private suite under prof tan thiam chye. First visit impression was good. Appointm was on Sat. Charges are higher. I went for urine test, weight height blood pressure, saw prof tan did ultrasound to see baby and followed by blood test to check for hep B , hiv, hormones test. Took multivit n fish oil for 2 mths supply. Bill came out about $360. Consult was $140. They will.make two appointm at one go. For.nx mth n nx nx mth. Hope this helps. =)

Hi back! Thanks for your reply!
Well i agree with what you say its just that now financially we have to be extra cautious and save what we can. My hubby is the only one working. But i do want to be in good hands.

Hi...
Congrats to u!
Actually I do have a good doctor to recommend and he has a good maternity package to offer. He is Dr Adrian from Thomson Medical. My aunt, brother and sister had all their first borns with him. Have enquired abt his package and is $688 for all consultation needed during ur course of pregnancy. But one thing is, his clinic does not accept appointments. Hence, have to drop by his clinic and take a queue number. I will be switching to him soon after I had taken my oscar scan and the results from my current gynae.

Hello mommies, I was browsing through baby fair items and saw this page. Was looking at the Medela (top left hand corner) and Avent (bottom right hand corner).

Are all these deals about the same in most baby fair? First time looking at all these and surprised they got so many bundles and at same price.

Are they worth getting? I'm a first time mommy and have nothing yet. No experience in buying all these too so asking for opinion :)
ImageUploadedByForum1452574863.140995.jpg

Hello mommies, I was browsing through baby fair items and saw this page. Was looking at the Medela (top left hand corner) and Avent (bottom right hand corner).

Are all these deals about the same in most baby fair? First time looking at all these and surprised they got so many bundles and at same price.

Are they worth getting? I'm a first time mommy and have nothing yet. No experience in buying all these too so asking for opinion :)View attachment 609332

there are varieties in pumps. i heard from my colleague that there will be another big scale baby fair in April. if you are going down to the fair, u can go down to the booth and take a look at the different pumps, have a feel of how it is, wherethe is it easy to handle. Like for myself, I want something that is convenient for me to pump on the go, that means i dont need to be stuck at at a certain place just to pump milk. The Spectra M1 is one of the models that i'm looking at cos my colleague is using it and I saw how convenient it is. She just put into her sweater and she can walk around the office while pumping milk. :)

Also, please buy a double pump cos you don't want to be pumping one side and when the "let-down" effect comes, the other side will start to drip. Cos sometimes Medela might work for someone else, and it doesn't work for you. it depends on the suction and also if the pump is able to let you totally empty out both breasts when pumping. :)

there are varieties in pumps. i heard from my colleague that there will be another big scale baby fair in April. if you are going down to the fair, u can go down to the booth and take a look at the different pumps, have a feel of how it is, wherethe is it easy to handle. Like for myself, I want something that is convenient for me to pump on the go, that means i dont need to be stuck at at a certain place just to pump milk. The Spectra M1 is one of the models that i'm looking at cos my colleague is using it and I saw how convenient it is. She just put into her sweater and she can walk around the office while pumping milk. :)

Also, please buy a double pump cos you don't want to be pumping one side and when the "let-down" effect comes, the other side will start to drip. Cos sometimes Medela might work for someone else, and it doesn't work for you. it depends on the suction and also if the pump is able to let you totally empty out both breasts when pumping. :)

Actually I don't know how a breast pump might work for me. Don't know how long or how much milk I will have too. Okay I'll look out for double. Will it be hard to control since both going to operate at same time?

Hi all, I think my edd is in august if im not wrong in my calculations. So nice to see so many mummies here..

The medela deal was good! I bought the stroller alone at 399 already :( Double save time in my option, but cant really handsfree haha unless u use freemie.. but on the other hand i think single suction more strong.. sometimes i just use single even though my pump is double take longer time though.

Hi all, I think my edd is in august if im not wrong in my calculations. So nice to see so many mummies here..

The medela deal was good! I bought the stroller alone at 399 already :( Double save time in my option, but cant really handsfree haha unless u use freemie.. but on the other hand i think single suction more strong.. sometimes i just use single even though my pump is double take longer time though.

Hello! Haven't seen a gynae yet? Hearing from your experience, you must be a 2nd or 3rd time mommy?

Anyway congrats! I was wondering are all these deals more or less the same for earlier or later baby fair? Cause now I'm still in first trimester then don't know if I should buy that or wait haha

Hello! Haven't seen a gynae yet? Hearing from your experience, you must be a 2nd or 3rd time mommy?

Anyway congrats! I was wondering are all these deals more or less the same for earlier or later baby fair? Cause now I'm still in first trimester then don't know if I should buy that or wait haha

can wait la... most baby fairs more or less e same... if u get yr pump too early means e guarantee will end early too? unless they can count frm bb's birthday

i dun really like to go to those big fairs because usu it will be v crowded with long qs (imagine spending 30 mins in the q for one stall and u have like 4 or 5 stalls to visit). Dun find that u can save much if u include the mounting car park charges on the time spent in the qs. Plus with a big tummy, it is really difficult to move around without bumping into ppl. Buy the stuffs b 4 the last trimester.

actually seems that now the warranty period is from the date that u give birth. :) so u can check before you buy. Normally people will start buying things at the 2nd trimester because that's when u have a bit more energy, dun feel tired that easily. At the last trimester, you will be too heavy to want to go anywhere, dun even say shopping! :p

the deals will be around there.. sometimes it can be cheaper or more expensive. But I think its a good idea to look around, gather some feedback so u roughly have an idea and its also easier to narrow down your choice. :)

the freemie cups looks very tempting.. its soo convenient lor. haha... :)
tempted by my colleague!! haha.. now mothercare having sale.. $99 for it...

Hi thanks! Congrats to you too! gg for first appt this friday.. 2nd time mummy :)

Baby fair after comparing i think mummy's market is the best so far.. the price is more or less the same depends on the promo they have. They usually have 2 fairs yearly. they have pre order so u can just order online for some then go collect 1 shot.

I think now still early can wait la.. like luckyme said the warranty starts from the purchase date unless they can start from delivery date.

Okay! Then I shall wait till next fair. Yeah I didn't like to go big fairs too but I have many things to get so maybe one shot go and see will be easier. Thank you to all mommies for your feedbacks :)

That's why must ask for some opinions so don't buy too early or too late. Or buy too expensive with all the unnecessary stuff thrown in and still think it's cheap hahaha

If April or May there's one baby fair again then will be awesome for me, 2nd trimester hopefully can shop often..

Hihi! Welcome! Your girl and my youngest one same age.. 7 this yr too.. :)

I think it's better to have a fixed gynea as the gynea will see you thru the whole pregnancy. :) to me, having the right gynea is very important. Cos after all, who else can we trust but them right?
Hi please pm me, I'd add u as friend then add u to the group

Are they worth getting? I'm a first time mommy and have nothing yet. No experience in buying all these too so asking for opinion :)View attachment 609332

Hello,

Medela & Avent are brands that many mummies in here use. I just like to reccommend that whichever brand you decide to choose eventually, it might be good to stick with just one particular brand because of size, adapter, part might not be able to nicely. I.e. If you buy the milk bottle of Avent then the pump from Medela, the milk bottle might not be able fit directly onto the medela pump. etc

Medela pumps- pls consider freestyle for its portability or pump in style advance. Other pumps are not as effective.

Another good brand is spectra.

On a side note, for breastfeeding, please know that all mommies will have milk :) just need to make sure you're latching well. First mth should solely latch, and if you wish pump after latching to stimulate supply. However, don't be too obsessed with the pump output cos it's not indicative of how much your baby is taking or how much your baby needs :)

Medela pumps- pls consider freestyle for its portability or pump in style advance. Other pumps are not as effective.

Another good brand is spectra.

On a side note, for breastfeeding, please know that all mommies will have milk :) just need to make sure you're latching well. First mth should solely latch, and if you wish pump after latching to stimulate supply. However, don't be too obsessed with the pump output cos it's not indicative of how much your baby is taking or how much your baby needs :)

Oh thanks for the information! Yeah I intend to have only one brand like a set so don't need to worry about the above problem that you've mentioned. Just that don't know which brand works better for me. They look the same except one is hands free.

I'll check out spectra too as have not read about it yet. Thanks thanks!

just to add... normally we will use the same brand. but i heard from my colleague, that for Spectra M1, she used the Medela valve as the suction was stronger as compared to the original Spectra valve.

i used the Pump in style for my 3rd one. but that one is very bulky.. so looking at something more lightweight and portable this time round. :)

The spectra looks so cute and mini! There are many models for each brand. Let's say I'm looking at medela, Avent and spectra. I want something that can last, not overly heavy since gotta bring everyday to work. Looking for a electric/battery double pump so can save more time and together at the same time?

Mm will be bringing to workplace since have to pump every 3 hours? Which one is more recommendable? What else should I look out for? Sucking power I'm not sure cause never use before any..

Don't have to be the best top grade kind cause gonna be real expensive, just one that can serve good enough to get by without buying many different sets. I am looking for one of the trustable brand that's why looking at Medela and Avent first, the rest haven't really read up on it.

Last edited:
medela freestyle and spectra a few models are pretty lightweight n portable. my freestyle lasted me well for 18 mths, now my fren using. i tried spectra 9+ a couple of times, not bad but battery life much shorter. but quality wise i find medelas r more "made to last" cos i read a few comments on spectra here spoil there chip etc.

price of cos spectra much cheaper. i dunno e mkt price now but 1 medela freestyle can easily buy 2 spectras.

I used spectra 9+ previously I think gd enough for me.. I usually charge every 2 days.. The price is the plus point lol

@luckyme @mooo_mooo I've just roughly googled for the price and Medela freestyle bundle is about $759 and spectra 9+ is half the price. I guess those stuff in bundle is good for me as I do not have anything yet. Medela looks smaller.

How about the Avent electric double pump? Anybody tried that? It says light weight but the purple machine looks quite big haha

ya e price is really affordable. prev i was tinking to buy a spectra put in office so that i don't have to bring to n fro. i ever once forgot to bring bk my pump which was left charging in office on a fri! i cant survive e entire wkend's pump session w/o it so i had to travel frm cck to cbd n bk again. i really wanna slap myself then. lol

wow... so good to be able to learn from so many experienced mommies here. was still feeling a little lost previously :p

ya e price is really affordable. prev i was tinking to buy a spectra put in office so that i don't have to bring to n fro. i ever once forgot to bring bk my pump which was left charging in office on a fri! i cant survive e entire wkend's pump session w/o it so i had to travel frm cck to cbd n bk again. i really wanna slap myself then. lol

Hahahaha that's a necessity during breast feeding. How you all pump in office? Hide in toilet?

Actually Medela freestyle good point is no need to hold on only? Is that function just a 'good to have' or the normal double where holding on to milk bottle will work fine too?

I sit in very open area at work so cannot pump openly, just hide in toilet to pump.

Hello everyone, I'm new to this thread :) currently preggy with #1 and my EDD is around 18 August :) currently seeing Dr Lee Keen Whye at Gleneagles and have been seeing him even before I conceived.

Can I be added into the fb group as well?my email is LNQ_85at yahoo.com

Last edited:
Hahahaha that's a necessity during breast feeding. How you all pump in office? Hide in toilet?

i pump in a small storeroom. but now i change job alr. will have nursing room. alr pre-emp my boss too tt i'd be away at least twice to pump aft bk frm maternity.

i didnt use e handsfree thingy. i find it very troublesome so i hold on lo. i use it as a single pump thou, so 1 hand hold e other massage while pumping. i guess yr pumping method will juz kinna evolve during yr bfding journey. i also blur blur, juz do watever i can to prevent clogs

i pump in a small storeroom. but now i change job alr. will have nursing room. alr pre-emp my boss too tt i'd be away at least twice to pump aft bk frm maternity.

i didnt use e handsfree thingy. i find it very troublesome so i hold on lo. i use it as a single pump thou, so 1 hand hold e other massage while pumping. i guess yr pumping method will juz kinna evolve during yr bfding journey. i also blur blur, juz do watever i can to prevent clogs

Like that buy one side pump will be sufficient? Pump one side so the other hand can massage. That's what my friend suggests to me.

That time when I had my 3rd one.. I pump while holding the 2 bottles.. And sometimes when pump.. Can fall asleep! That's y when I saw the freemie collection cups, I find it pretty interesting. Last time didn't have such things. Haha... You can go and search for it on YouTube. There r some reviews and videos on how to use it... :)

Medela is really lasting and trustworthy. I use freestyle - it's super portable!

Why did i say so?
My firstborn in 2012- pumped for approximately 12mths till Dec.
Second born in Sep 2013- pumped for almost 14-16mths and the pump still works!

I haven't tried spectra only cos my medela is soooo worth it. I bought via bulk purchase from US last time so only spent $450. Imagine all the money saved from not buying formula milk :p even my husband says my investment was worthwhile.

I think it's good to invest in either a medela or spectra. Avent, Tommie tippee etc aren't the best brands for bfing.

Like that buy one side pump will be sufficient? Pump one side so the other hand can massage. That's what my friend suggests to me.
Use double pump- much more efficient. I mastered the skill to kiap the breastpump while still being able to massage my breasts. After a few mths your breasts will be used to the auction and no more massage required :)

Hahaha you mommies are so funny! Okay I'll read intensively into Medela pumps. Besides freestyle, any mommies use swing maxi before?

Personally I prefer Medela to Avent because of the size. But price difference quite big so wanna know worth investing anot.

tt time spectra not out yet, medela freestyle was e portable one n most raved about so i bot tt lo. cos i heard gd pumps will gib u gd output. i was tinkin if no milk e most sell out lo.

if i dbl pump, i find e suction becomes weaker compared to single side n both ways i'll spend ard e same time. i tink every mummy have their own ways of optimising their pumping time n method so for first time mums dun need to worry so much. juz go w e flow depending latch or pump, if got any issues den ask ard for advice etc will definitely work out de

Yes totally agree! Who knows you might end up as a DL mom? Direct latch.

For the first three months I only pumped to relief engorgement and stimulate supply. My boy only took latching, no bottles at all. Only a few bottles on and off after first month, if I need to run errands. Otherwise, I latch him :)

Hahaha you mommies are so funny! Okay I'll read intensively into Medela pumps. Besides freestyle, any mommies use swing maxi before?

Personally I prefer Medela to Avent because of the size. But price difference quite big so wanna know worth investing anot.

oh ya 1 thing i lk bout medela pump is tt they fit all standard neck bottles. i find medela bottles too thin, e plastics goes abit soft aft sterilising. so i used pigeon ppsu bottles instead. avent n spectra pumps use wide neck bottles unless u get e adaptor.

That time when I had my 3rd one.. I pump while holding the 2 bottles.. And sometimes when pump.. Can fall asleep! That's y when I saw the freemie collection cups, I find it pretty interesting. Last time didn't have such things. Haha... You can go and search for it on YouTube. There r some reviews and videos on how to use it... :)

i fell asleep a few times during early morning pumps too! lol... but only for a few seconds... i think freemie's cool too, but i cant massage w tt on so i nv buy. it's gd for those working mummies who have pumping limitations.

So double is mainly to stimulate the flow and supposedly to save time. Wow buying a breast pump also so much knowledge hahaha

Hi all, since we are on the topic on breast feeding, i like to put down a copy of pointer that you may or may not encounter.

1) If ever you get into a breast engorgement problem, please go to KKH 24hr clinic and ask to see a lactation nurse. But be prepared that it is going to be super painful when their super experience nurse squeeze your boob to clear the choke. After the torturing session, you will know how to express milk properly in the future to avoid seeing these lactation nurse. I bet other hospital also got such nurse, just that the one i go to is KKH. I am sure other hospital lactation nurses are also equally capable.

2) Please do not buy manual action breast pump. Your hand will be totally exhaust and you will feel lagi frustrated.

3) When you eventually decide that you want to stop extracting breast milk for your baby permanently, there is tablet that you can get from doctor to help you stop it. I am not asking you to stop breast feeding, i just want fellow mommy especially the newer mummy to know that there is such a thingy. I am not here to tell you breastfeed good or not or whether you should or not. It is your personal decision. No explanation needed, respect all your decision.

4) Prepare cold cabbage to apply on your boob each time after you finish expressing milk, it will give you so much needed relief, but not that do not place it on your boob for too long no matter how shiok it is because i heard that if you leave it on your boob for too long, it might signal to your body that you do not want to produce milk anymore. (Not sure whether it is scientifically proven or just old hubby tales ya)

5) If you are the type who do not need to be totally alone before you can pump milk, i reccommend that you get your hubby into your room to massage your boob, teach him to massage it the exact same way as the lactation nurse, i.e. let him be your personal lactation nurse. It help bonding a lot and also opportunity to chit chat a bit midst all the happy chaos the new little ones bring to the house.

Enjoy your moments. Cheers

Hello Mummys to be,

I'm new here and this is my first post. Am 8 weeks pregnant with my first kid & EDD on 22 Aug. I'm with Dr Chee at TOGC, Paragon and delivery will be at Mt E.

Can I join the FB group too? My email is [email protected].

I have severe headache and blocked/ runny nose everyday! Plus vomitting everyday. Really terrible. My hb ask me to take pregnancy safe painkiller.. I shall see how. If really pain till cannot take it, then eat..

Till now only bothering me is my blocked nose as it sometime occur in the middle of the night. My migraine come and go so still okay. Take care and check with your gynae for any painkiller.

Saw the post about breast pump.. my friend told me not every pump fit the breast she bought 1 and can't fit got to bough a brand new one she told me have to trial n error n in order to get the pump that suits u well. Am l correct?

Also first time mummy here. So I ask her a lot for advice. For bb fair I also waiting for Apr 16. Got check already is 13 to 15 Apr 16 at suntec.

Saw the post about breast pump.. my friend told me not every pump fit the breast she bought 1 and can't fit got to bough a brand new one she told me have to trial n error n in order to get the pump that suits u well. Am l correct?

Also first time mummy here. So I ask her a lot for advice. For bb fair I also waiting for Apr 16. Got check already is 13 to 15 Apr 16 at suntec.

that's y i think it's good to find out more abt the breastpump... and when there are fairs, u can take a look at the physical pump and do a comparison. :)

Hi Everyone

I was wondering if its normal to doesn't have any nausea feeling at all since iam around 7wks+.. the only symptoms I have is frequent urine at night with bloating + dizzy feel sometimes ... need some advise here...

Back