(2013/05) May 2013

Yes... First time mum is indeed overwhelming.

Min, For feeding, my pediatrician says newborn first week can drink between 45 ml to 60ml each feed and the gauge is to check that each feed should last 3 hours. If each feed last 2.5 hours, you can increase volume or stick to increased frequency because either way, baby is getting required amount.

About lochia : dirty blood... I thought mine stopped after I left the hospital because there's very little... Suddenly 2 weeks from delivery, I'm now having a lot of discharge. Hmmmmm..

Milk: I'm having same headache.....very low supply,wondering how to up it. I'm doing every textbook method. Increase demand by pumping......and wait for supply to match demand.
sad.gif

Yvonne, exactly, I m doing so as well. Baby is very easy to get 'half-full' when latching on and then we need to feed him more often. In the end he didn't get enough sleep and would be cranky as well.

Congrats Nicolieaa! Indeed, it is a horrible month for confinement. yeah...i will be out of it soon~~:p

Leen, I also try to pump more. I do like 3hours apart. Massage and massage, hopefully can increase the milk supply. So envy mums who have exceed to keepm I only hope to have enough to last the day. I never latch my baby already cos it make me more stress when she does not seem to get enough and keep crying.

By the way, anyone using medela freestyle pump? I feel the suction not strong enough. Anyone has the same problem?

Have been absolutely knackered having to handle a 4yr old over enthusiastic big sister (she couldn't keep her hands odf her didi) and all the night feeds/diaper changing/pumping sterilizing etc etc. Hubby doesn't help ... sighs.

Min, just keep nursing. It really does make a difference in 3 to 5 days' time. The only problem is u might end up with an oversupply issue, like dreambig. Hehe it's a good problem though. I had that problem of oversupply too. But then I was too anxious to reduce my supply as my bb kept gwtting foremilk/hindmilk imbalance- tried cold cabbage ... and foe a prolonged period of time purposely waited out 6 to 7 hours belong latching or pumping. Now my worry is my supply is just nice with little to store for future. Headache!

Re sterilizing. I rinse my medela breastpump parts under running water and simply keep in the fridge for one more use. I onky wash with detergent and sterilize after 2 uses.

I read in most bb articles which coincide with what I heard while at the hospital as well that infants shoukd be drinking about average of 150ml per kilo of their weight PER DAY. so a 3kg bb will need average of 450ml a day. Then depending on how many feeds e.g 8 feeds every 3 hours that means each feed is roughly about 450 divided by 8. Of course bb might take more in one feed snd lesser in another but the daily intake should be about there.

Take note that feeding breastmilk in a bottle vs latching will cause bb to drink more. Because bb can better control the amount it wants to drink when he suckles. Or he might just wsnt to latch on for comfort and not for milk. When on the bottle on thr other hand, he has no control. The milk will come down whether he is suckling or not. And newborns are too young to know how to push away thd bottle when he has enough. Hence it is v easy to over feed a newborn.

I didn't think overfeeding is a problem until another friend of mind who gave birth 2 months earlier kenna PD's order to put her to put her 8 weeks old on a"diet". She said she syspected as much and was confirmed by the PD. Apparently overfeeding can cause digestion problems and will worsen reflux. Think sometimes it really depends on the PD. That being said, from the pics the then 8 week old bb really looked way overweight though.

Can try pump and latch to increasw supply. Eg before giving the bottle you let bb suckle first; got to be try to get bb to empty the breast so he gets the rich hind milk too. Then give the bottle after that if bb shows signs of wanting more. Do this while keeping to your regular pumping schedule. Will b v tiringbut worth a try as its pretty intensive. Your ss should increase and stabilise after 3 to 5 days.

Oh yes, I found awesome awesome andriod app called Feed Baby. Free for lite version which is seriously useful fir recording down feeding times/vol/left or right side n duration of latch for bfing mommies. Also sleep time/pumping details ala details ... can see bb daily intake at what time or daily latch duration at what times of day. Can compare against pumped vol etc etc.can even pull out reports n charts! Hahaha betcha this app was developed by some OCD geek dad.

Ps paiseh for my multiple spelling n typo errors. Am surfing on my hp

At close to 4 weeks old mine is taking 90ml per feed x 8 ( once it was even 9 times!), when on the bottle. Im worried about overfeeding too as I'm pretty sure he doesn't need this much; think my mom overdoes it sometimes. I'm now back to exclusive breast feeding for half a day while bottle feeding ebm during the day. I don't know his weight but everyone eho have seen him says he doesn't look like a 3 to 4 weeks old newborn. Jiatlard.

Oh hey I bought a carton 8x24s NB pampers diapers at qoo10 for only $53 incl of delivery. Works out to be abt $6.60 per pkt. U guys might want to check it out. I saw it selling for $8plus (think it was $8.40) per pk at ntuc finest yesterday.

Alfalfa: Good to see you! Glad you are surviving... thanks for all the info. Very useful
happy.gif

Well, my oversupply gave me a problem though... Blocked milk ducts cos I did not nurse frequent enough... It's especially painful at night....
sad.gif
been up all night trying to feed n empty my breasts last night....

Min: yes alfalfa is right. To increase milk supply, just let baby suckle more...

Alfafa
U are the march 2009 mummies rite?

My elder gal also keep touching her little sister and would frown If we ask her not to touch her head.i gotta lie to her saying her sister head is in pain and can't touch her.

i m using this app called 'baby care' which also capture alot of useful info like recording feeding/pumping/moods/sleep etc..

I have been expressing milk every 3 hourly. It is tiring but really hope it increase the supply. Going to get hubby to get the fenugreek pill from pharmacy so that I can increase the supply. Keeping finger cross.

Dreambig: I tried to latch but my gal suck for less than 5min then she not keen. I think she used to bottle already.
My baby sleep a lot during day time and night she is quite awake. Stress

Min: I'm using medela freestyle.. I aso think the suction is not v strong..
sad.gif
Tried all sort of method to wake ur bb gal up (unswaddle or burp her) to make her more awake to suckle abit more. Trying latching her more often, she will slow learn to get used to latching again.. Dun stress urself with the BM, relax relax..

Milk supply: i guess my milk supply is low aso. I latch on both bb, but I worried that they dun hav enough to eat so occasionally will top up wf FM.

Lochia: mine came back again after stopping for a few days. Haiz.. Gynae said tt it will come n go on n off. Sian.

My lochia cleared at week 3, den week 4 became red again till now week 7. Haiz..

Anyway, is there any pantang reason why some people avoid bringing young babies out at night?

Azel, I tried last night to latch my baby and she only suck for 5mins. I think I really not skilled at this. I am glad I tried to latch her during the first few days. It really make me feel so close with her.Now I got express milk for her better than nothing I guess, cant stress myself further. Yah lor the freestyle like not strong. So regret buying it, should get pisa to try instead.arrgg

Anyone usng philips sterilizer?not sure why but the water container for heating seems a bit burn / rust. Anyone having the same problem?

I'm using Philips sterilizer ... No problems leh. Quite happy with it.

By the way, have you mummies heard of child care, pre-school that needs registration once our babies are borned? Example : st James ....

Lochia: hmmm it seems that it'll goes n comes for awhile. Haiz.

Leyash: I heard of ppl avoiding bringing bb out at night. Not sure patang or wat. But my colleague avoid bringing her bb out at night cos scare bb catch cold.

Min: dun stress urself on e latching on prob. 5min is better than nothing. I'm aso feel abit regret buying freestyle but going to keep trying n mayb my breast will get used to e pressure of the pump.
happy.gif
but if I wan to bring pump to office, freestyle will b easier than PISA.

Thanks pinkerberries. That's what I am referring to. I got to try to descale. Hope it is easy.

Azel, i brought freestyle thinking of mobility too. It is really consider light if to carry it around.

Oh yah I took u gals advice and latch my baby as and when opportunity arises and it seem to increase my breast milk more at the next pump. Nat sure if it is due to hormo, latching my baby make me feel so happy and the emotions just build up.Maybe thats why the milk supply will increase. Haha

Yah I think is bonding.i will try to do it more often. Problem is I am staying with older people and they dont believe in latching. Keep discouraging me. I must preserve.

Need an advice for mummies on c-sec.. When did ur doc remove ur waterproof layer? Is there any cream to apply? So it the wound "exposed" to recover?

Min, azel: just do your best n ignore them., Older pple r like tat. but dun stress yourself over bm supply too.

Azel: my waterproof plaster was removed 1 week after op n dr gave me a cream to apply. The wound is supposed to have recovered when dr removed e stitches.

Min- congratulations! So happy to hear that.

Azel-congratulations to u too for the twins.beg I'm already feeling shattered with bfing one, can't imagine having to bf both. You are amazing. Do whatever that makes you happy and don't let your Cl's words affect u.

I saw my dr 2 weeks after my discharge. She changed my dressing then and told me that I can remove this final pne by myself after a few days. Once removed I was to apply the scarease gel twice a day for 3 to 4 months. I've been lazy though only been applying once a day. My external wounds have healed at 2 weeks post discharge. Was still hurting from time to time at that pt, only felt completely fine after 3 weeks

Pigpig- yes yes I think I rem u too! We have met before, no? V slim mommy right?
happy.gif

Dreambig- ya overss another prob. Yikes good thing that u managed to clear the block ducts. I kenna mastitis before and tjat is really nasty. Do take care! I was anxious to reduce my ss as im already thinking about logistics issues after I go bk to work. Speaking of whicg, damn sian at the thought of going bk.

Am thinking of either securing another job at tail end of my ml or simply take a break till beg 2014.

Im surfing on my ph while lying next to my sleeping bb; his tiny little cherubic face right next to my chest. ... I feel like im in love again. *happy sigh

Alfafa77: I totally can feel youm when I have my baby next to me on my bed, I feel so in love. Haha I I keep talking to her. Feels that she complete my life
happy.gif

Hi everyone I need to seek your advice, I am expecting my first child at the end of this year. Appreciate if you can recommend CL / confinement agencies and massage lady, many thanks in advance
happy.gif

Moms
How did u get rid of the vapour in the tubes for medela pumps? Just run the motor? For how long? No need attach to breast shield or the bottle?

Iamnewmummy: I had this malay traditional massage which I would highly recommend. She's good n no hard sell. Pay per session. No need package or deposit nor full payment upfront. Jamilah 90090494
She would use charcoal to create sauna effect. Perch out the water in you, follow by massage then jamu wrap.

pinkberries: I ignore her when she gave such comments. My gynae didn't give me any cream, I request her to give me another waterproof layer. Scare scare to b exposed.

alfafa: it is tired BF-ing two bb, but I love them when they look at me wf those cutie eyes.. I will top up wf FM, if BM is not enough... If financial allows you to take a break till 2014, it will b good to bond wf ur bb.. But u may not wan to work after much bonding..

Hi all

My second baby died of undetected Congenital heart defects. As we've been away awhile, I'm unfamiliar with KKH health screenings for newborns. Do you know if KKH does Pulse oximetry screening for all newborns and especially for those with siblings with history of congenital heart defects? thx u.

Dear mummies, if you need to increase your milk supply, maybe can try asking your gynae for those tablets? My gynae gave me Lactagreek, but they're quite costly. One box can only last me 10 days and cost $40plus. I've been taking them sparingly coz I still have enough supply to go around. I guess more or less they helped in increasing my supply a little (note: I did not take them regularly). I was told that GNC is selling such supplements too, but whether they're effective or not, I'm not so sure. Hope this helps!!
happy.gif

Dear mummies,

Sorry for disturbing. I am a 2nd time mom, ETD Dec 2013. I had a very very bad CL experience during my first pregnancy and would not want to re-live it. Will any mummies have any good recommendations for your CL. Please PM me her name and contact. I will really appreciate it as it will take a big load off my mind during this pregnancy. THANKS!

Hi Alluring, I can recommend my LC - she is with me since May. V pleased with her service - really superb cooking, taking care of my twins, even train my maid for me. Can't ask for more and she is pro feeding breastmilk if the mother is keen.
I extended her one more month and then after another week with me, I extended for a third month till August.
PM me if you Are keen.

I have a BNIB Luvable Friends Deluxe Baby carrier for sale.
Selling $99 at metro. Willing to let go BNIB for $75.
Not needing this gift received from friends as already have another carrier.

Also, I have an opened Chicco Go Baby carrier, willing to let to at $70.

Contact me at 9 0 6 8 6 4 9 7 if you are keen on the any item. Thanks

Hi mom
My bb is 5 weeks old n still hv high jaundice level at 216. Anyone encounter such things before? It seems to hv lasted too long

Beaniee

Mine drop from 260-160-150-85 within 2wks. Did u bring baby for check up?what did the dr says? My friend who is a nurse advise to feed bb on time even if they are sleeping.They need to drink and pass out more.

I like my confinement lady because she is very positive and experienced. Not face black black kind. Also she handles my mom and mother in law very well. She is also polite with other visiting guests, even pour drink for my massage lady. Can cook well and knows what to do best.

She happens to be available from jul - Sep due to last minute cancellation. Can contact her @90573271

Hi beaniee, Jaundice baby tends to sleep more. U need to feed your baby on time. N sun tan your baby abt 10 min both front n back. Do before 9.30am n afternoon ard 5pm. Take a facel towel to cover the eyes when suntan. My baby on bm on fm. Feed on time wee wee n poo poo more jaundice will drop. If you are bm your baby, avoid bm for 2hrs if you taking ginger in your meals

Hi fatfat n babysmurf
Yes. I do sun her. Even more than 10min. She is slrd 6weeks n no drop in her jaundice level which is worrying.

Hi mummies, any good pediatrician to recommend? My boy is having blocked nose for more than three weeks and hasn't recovered! We have visited GP and KK, no improvement
sad.gif

Help please~

Hi mummy, do we need to air-dry the sterilised bottles first before store in the fridge? Thks

Hi, if u stay at Ckk can visit kid link

Back