(2013/04) April 2013

"The bottom line is that childbirth is a huge physical act that involves pain for most who experience it. But the pain of labor, it turns out, is important. It is hormonally tied to healthy labor progress. If you take away the pain, you may take away the progress, which requires intervention that can cause harm (and more pain!). Your doc/friend/mother-in-law may be saying, “Don’t be a hero, get the epidural!” But this isn’t about heroics, this is about protecting your body. It may turn out that after hours of labor and every other trick in the bag, an epidural is just what it takes to facilitate the baby’s debut. But research suggests it’s best left as the serious medical intervention it is — taken when really needed.

That’s not to say that women who shoo away the anaesthesiologist don’t need help getting through the pain — massage, a deep warm tub, a shower, hypnosis, and relaxation techniques can all help. Most importantly, you need to be able to move your body. What you don’t need is to be stuck in a situation with access to none of these options, or in a hospital bed with an electronic fetal monitor tying you down and a Syntocinon drip in your vein. Indeed, if you’re pushed, an epidural may be the only way you can get through it. It’s nonsensical to expect a woman to labor without drugs if she’s strapped flat on her back.

That’s why it’s imperative to line up a supportive provider, (a great idea is to include a doula) and atmosphere before labour starts. Women who get this kind of support are more able to stay upright, active, and in control of pushing, and are more likely to have an uncomplicated birth, an intact, uncut vagina, and a speedy recovery."

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/birth/but-i-want-drugs-drugs-in-labour

Numerous clinical studies have found that a doula’s presence at birth
tends to result in shorter labors with fewer complications
reduces negative feelings about one’s childbirth experience
reduces the need for pitocin (a labor-inducing drug), forceps or vacuum extraction and cesareans
reduces the mother’s request for pain medication and/or epidurals
Research shows parents who receive support can:
Feel more secure and cared for
Are more successful in adapting to new family dynamics
Have greater success with breastfeeding
Have greater self-confidence
Have less postpartum depression
Have lower incidence of abuse
Taken from: http://www.dona.org/mothers/why_use_a_doula.php

Dear mummies,
I am training to be a doula aka professional labour support. As part of my certification, I am required to attend three births. Below are links, which explain what a doula does and how I can help you have a positive birth experience. Do pm me or email me at [email protected] if you have any queries. Looking forward to hear from you. 
www.drmomma.org/2011/05/what-doulas-do.html
www.drmomma.org/2011/04/5-doula-myths-debunked.html

""Nicole writes,

“I get questions, all the time from friends, friends of friends and even strangers. They want my thoughts about pregnancy, labor and childbirth. I have spent HOURS talking with women providing answers and information they should be able to get from their prenatal provider/birth attendant. I think to myself at the end of those conversations, “Why isn’t she able to get this information from her? If he doesn’t make her feel special, does not answer her questions, and doesn’t agree with her philosophy on childbirth and labor, why on earth is she allowing him to be her birth attendant?!”

When I pose this question to the women themselves, the answers unfortunately never include “Because I did my research and I found him to be the best match for me and my desired childbirth experience.” Most of the answers I receive fall into the four categories below, none of which are good enough reasons alone to choose a prenatal care provider/birth attendant.”

The four categories that Nicole is referring to are:

1) “She delivered my sister/girlfriend.”
2) “She is my gynecologist.”
3) “He is the best/most popular person in area.”
4) “Her office is so close and convenient to my office/house.”

I have to “second that” to every thing that Nicole writes about in her two posts. I too am flabbergasted at how many women spend more time researching a new car, camera, computer, appliance, or handbag purchase than they do researching their care provider or birth options. I am also floored by many of the women I take care of that seem to have NO IDEA how their doctor or midwife actually thinks, feel, and behaves in a labor & delivery setting. One time, and I am not exaggerating, a woman I was assigned to care for looked up at me after a particularly upsetting encounter with her attending obstetrician (he was very rough with her vaginal exam, was down right pissed off that she refused an amniotomy and an epidural, and stormed out of the room) and said, “Wow, I didn’t realize he was so pushy! He was really rude! I don’t know if I want him to deliver my baby!” I was thinking to myself, “HOW in God’s name are you just figuring out now that he is an asshole?!” (Excuse my language but this particular doctor is a high intervention, low patience physician with the stats to prove it, on top of the fact that he treats nurses like his personal empty-headed gophers…ARG!) Turns out the only research she did to find this doctor was that her cousin went to him and was happy with his services since he agreed to induce her early because she was “sick of being pregnant” (her words, not mine).

Of course there is also the lying phenomenon as well and this is one area where I feel the most sympathy for my patients. That’s right ladies…people LIE and I hope that I am not the first person to tell you that doctors and midwives are people too!! That’s why, as Nicole writes, interviewing potential birth attendants and ASKING FOR THEIR STATISTICS is so important. Someone I know ended up switching her birth attendant at 36 weeks along because it had turned out that he flat out lied about his experience and philosophy regarding VBACs (vaginal birth after cesarean). For example, if you have a question about a particular intervention, say episiotomy rate, and the birth attendant you are interviewing either skirts the question or says something vague like, “I only do them when I deem necessary,” I encourage you to ask him for his STATS. You might be surprised at how often he “deems it necessary.” It is also important to note that you cannot make sweeping generalizations about a care provider just by their credentials, that is, not all midwives follow a midwifery model of care and not all obstetricians follow a medical model of care (although by the very nature of their education many of them do). So it is still important to research your birth attendant even if you are planning on choosing a midwife!

Also, I wonder if many women do not research their care providers/birth attendants because they come from generations of women who nodded their heads, smiled, and did exactly everything their doctor told them too regarding their reproductive health. I mean, if a woman’s mother, aunts, and grandmothers didn’t question their doctors, what influence does she have to act any differently? The good news however is that in today’s day in age, unlike our mothers and grandmothers, we have a most wonderful thing called THE INTERNET so you have no excuse."

http://nursingbirth.com/2009/04/26/must-read-blog-“it’s-your-birth-right”/

Numerous clinical studies have found that a doula’s presence at birth
tends to result in shorter labors with fewer complications
reduces negative feelings about one’s childbirth experience
reduces the need for pitocin (a labor-inducing drug), forceps or vacuum extraction and cesareans
reduces the mother’s request for pain medication and/or epidurals
Research shows parents who receive support can:
Feel more secure and cared for
Are more successful in adapting to new family dynamics
Have greater success with breastfeeding
Have greater self-confidence
Have less postpartum depression
Have lower incidence of abuse
Taken from: http://www.dona.org/mothers/why_use_a_doula.php

Dear mummies,
I am training to be a doula aka professional labour support. As part of my certification, I am required to attend three births. Below are links, which explain what a doula does and how I can help you have a positive birth experience. Do pm me or email me at [email protected] if you have any queries. Looking forward to hear from you. 
www.drmomma.org/2011/05/what-doulas-do.html
www.drmomma.org/2011/04/5-doula-myths-debunked.html

JTS: $10 off for orders above $80 using the discount code JXMAS2012
Products: Breast Milk Bags, Milk Powder Bags, Teething Toys, Qubies etc.
Visit www.thelittleonesinmylife.com.sg
7850213.jpg

Hi,

I'm an April mummy too. Just got to know this thread. Can I be added to the FB group too?

EDD: 20 April
Baby: #1, girl
Gynae: Dr Chan Kong Hon
Hospital: Gleneagles
Area I'm staying: Central
FB add: [email protected]

Hi,

My apologies for interrupting your disscussions!

I am looking to sell my Medela Freestyle Local Set. It was purchased in May 2012 and still has a good 6 months of local warranty left. I had latched my baby on directly most of the time and therefore the set is hardly used and in an excellent condition. I am willing to let go of the Medela Freestyle at $550. If you are interested, do PM me or contact me on my mobile at 9431-5642. Thanks!

7869927.jpg
- what's in the box
7869928.jpg
- warranty card and purchase receipt

I have signed up with Cordlife for my baby.

If anyone want to sign up with Cordlife at Baby Expo this weekend 14-16 Dec 2012, I can refer you as a friend. We each can get $100 worth of shopping vouchers.
Do PM me if interested as I seldom check threads. Thanks.

Dear all, sorry for the delay as I have just moved house and my internet access is still not up yet.

For those who have PMed me, I will add you asap.

Request to join our fb received from:
Cy0919 (Email address cannot be found on fb)
Leeevie
Mapleleaves80
Anjerlyn
Mophie (Email address cannot be found on fb)
Katina (Email address cannot be found on fb)

For those whose email cannot be found, you need to change your privacy settings and PM me again after changing so I can try adding you again.

For those not listed above and interested to join us, please PM me. Group open to mummies with EDD in April 2013 only. Thanks!

after 1month, i notice that this thread has turn into a market place and a place to require for joining fb grp.
sad.gif

is so much more fun in 2010 when the mother can share every thing from knowledge and experience openly in the forums..

I think the trend has move. A lot of the people own a smart phone this days. I personally think that FB is more smart phone friendly compared to forum. Easier to share/enquire about stuff.

This is just my personal point of view.

Delicious- i totally agree with you for the trend part. Just feel that a bit left out from a dad point of view. In some way we are trying to gather/learn new stuff from mom so that we can help out /feel for our wife by sharing/learning from the other moms to be but the information is no longer available as ppl start to share only in their close grp in fb...

i actually learn alot from the 2010 dec thread during my wife first pregnancy. Sharing can be from what food to eat/avoid, sale, lesson, scan,package, room from hospital, confinement to feeding of bb.... but this information are no longer available. ...

so pls don't blame your hubby for not understanding or helping you during your pregnancy as we can't find much info online any more :p lol

Hi, I am new to this thread. I am expecting a boy and due on 10 Apr. Glad to meet other mums who are due to give birth in Apr too.

EDD: 10 Apr
Baby: #2
Gynea: Dr Paul Tseng
Hospital: Thomson Medical Centre
Area staying in: North
FB email address: [email protected]

Pls add me to the group too. Thanks.

Dear all new April 2013 mummies, we are not accepting any more mummies due to the large group size. But there's a new 2nd group formed. If you are interested to join the new group, please PM me your details.

If you have posted your details here but did not hear from me, please check your fb privacy settings to ensure that it allows search. Then PM me again and I will add you to the new group. Thank you.

Added. Check fb notification to acknowledge:
- Anjerlyn
- misque
- julietnicole
- elocinker
- Purpleangel
- Leeevie
- Mapleleaves80
- elfyn
- stelazine1981
- krissie80
- feleny81

Cant find you on fb. Pls change your privacy settings to enable search:
- hlchang
- Cy0919
- Babysnail
- Katina
- Mylittleone
- Mophie
- miko78
- aprillier

Andy: I agree. But sharing in a private grp is on a more personal level.

Why dont you start a April 2013 Daddy's fb group? I can ask the mummies in our group to ask their hubby to join. I'm sure fathers-to-be have lots of things to share and discuss too.

Andy: Sorry for late reply as I just got back from overseas. Will help you inform the mummies in our group to tell their hb.

How do interested daddies contact you? Your PM is off. Email?

Andy: I did the announcement already leh.

Some response from mummies in the April 2013 group:

- Yes will.get hubby to join in
- How to join?
- I will ask hubby to join too: )
- i told my hubby...he's ok with it...haha...but what's the group and how to join...then i'll let hubby know
- I shall encourage my hb to join. Lol!
- Sure, I'll get my hb to join too
- My husband is keen to join!

How?

Hi Apr mummies,

Could someone add me into the April FB group please? Would really like to make some mummy friends in the same month of delivery, and chat about motherhood and baby matters. Looks like not a very active thread here..really look forward to chat in FB.
happy.gif

Thank you.
happy.gif

EDD: 30 April
Baby: #3
Gynae: Dr. Paul Tseng
Hospital: TMC
Area staying: Pasir Ris
Email: [email protected]

I have invited all April 2013 mummies who have requested.

Pending acceptance of invites on fb from:
julietnicole
elfyn
stelazine1981
feleny81
Cy0919
Babysnail
Katina
Mylittleone
Mophie
hlchang
aprillier
melissachew
marmie

If you are not in the group and your nick is not listed above, it means that I did not receive your request.

Please PM me with our particulars as follows:
- BB#
- EDD
- Gynae
- Hospital
- Area staying in
- Baby Gender

Thank you.

Hi Cloudily & other april mums,

I am also an april 2013 mum and would like to join the FB group. I have dropped a PM to cloudily, how do I find this FB group and request to join?

I had an excellent confinement lady when I delivered. Her name is Aunty Ah Heong.
She is clean, attentive and is an excellent cook.
She is available 21st April to end May. I believe she is booked up the remaining months.

Email me if you are interested.
[email protected]

p.s sorry am also a licenced CL/Nanny intermediary.

Hi. I am desperately looking for a baby to adopt. I am willing to pay for the medical costs, etc. All can be discussed. Anyone in need of help please contact me insteadof deciding for abortion. I can't get pregnant due to a few surgeries done. Please email me at [email protected] or sms me at 91984934. Thank u.

I may be slow in replying cause busy with baby now. For those who have PMed me, I will add you soon.

Melissa: Yar, do change your settings so that i can search and add you.

Back