(2013/01) Jan 2013

I just went to the Gynae both on Sat and yesterday.. Sat's visit was to take the glucose test which I puked out some after drinking it at one shot! It felt too sticky for an empty stomach which I wasn't used to
sad.gif
Then went to see gynae where she measured baby's head and was concerned that baby is not growing too well.. according to the EDD shown on the scan, my EDD was delayed by 2 weeks! She was worried that the nutirent flow from placenta to baby is weak. I was really affected by that and worried througout the week..

Yesterday I went for a more detailed scan where they measured the baby and nutrient flow. Baby is about 840g, whilst I put on 8kg so far.. she says it is about average, but I'm still worried.. is there anything I haven't done right? My colleague says it might be because I have not been eating home-cooked food (we eat at parent's place about once a week, and settle dinner mostly outside), thus not enough nutrients.

Just wondering, whether this has an effect on the growth of the baby? I'm so concerned now.. cos I've stopped cooking since preggy due to a bad 1st trimester..

Lish_zzz - I started using when baby came home from hosp. In fact, he did not want to be swaddled after 2 or 3 months old. Slept like star fish from then to now.. (2 years old).

Elp_mum - I eat out a lot, but I try to eat a balanced meal (i.e with meat and veg. I seldom take fast food (like Macs etc) though. So far, no issue with growth. I think it is more to do with the placenta..not so much what you eat.

Elp mum: I also eat out everyday. No luxury of homecooked meal. Gynae chk-up last sat and bb is growing well weighing 840g at 25 wk. Gynae said is normal. Dun worry ya.

Today rush to Thomson for prenatal first class but the class is cancelled without notify us .. 4 pairs of parents2b waiting n have to join other class schedule, so upset ..

elp mum, does the dr said what u can do about it? Eat more carbo perhaps? Understand how u feel cos I failed my Glucose test. Thou Dr said it's borderline case and just need to follow his diet plan, I can't help but feel so sianz loh...

Mummies who has GD experience can share with me how to maintain the sugar level other than following the diet? Thanks...

Thanks ladies for your reassurance
happy.gif

Doc asks me to count fetal movement and keep track. If baby moves less than 10 times per day, must report to delivery suite straightaway, which freaked me out! So far baby has been moving every other hour, and I'm contented with that
happy.gif

I have low placenta too, so I should walk less and not carry heavy things.

I read up a bit abt GD, go for low Gi food like whole wheat pasta, brown rice. Try to avoid white things like white bread, white rice. And take fruits instead of juice unless you are sure no sugar added, There is also a difference between "no sugar added" and "no added sugar" labels. "no added sugar" basically means they didn't add extra sugar, but doesn't mean they didn't add sugar. So go for "no sugar added".

Elp

eh... this is wat I heard... 2 eggs everyday for preg mum. Maybe u can try it.

I eat lunch outside food, dinner sometimes cook or outside food. But my home cooked food is very simple as just 1 A & 1C. Hmm... think as long as u r eating normal and watch out, it shld be ok?

Maybe gynae just being careful? Dun stress too much, no gd for bb.

I hv a frd whose child never kick whole day type unless she knock on her tummy, then can feel very light response. Kid is very big n healthy, active even rep sch games.

Friends: My gynae advised to avoid carbo and starchy food e.g. white rice/ potato. Choose wholemeal or brown rice. Eat more meat for protein to feel full. Cut down on sugary stuff like kaya and sweet sauce (e.g. fried economical noodle, they might hv added during cooking). If needed, there are jam suitable for diabetic. And do the DIY blood sugar test to monitor
happy.gif

yesterday admitted one day at ODAC KKH...monitor blood sugar for whole day...pricked my fingers 7 times and also drew one tube of blood.

have to watch on diet, its the second time, both first and second pregnancy i also have gestational diabetes...control diet is last thing i like to do...

Ladies, jux had my 25 weeks appt. met our baby for the first time. Dr Tham commented that I put on much more than desired
sad.gif
4.1kg in a mth, though baby is in the healthy range.

Will be heading the OGTT test Tw next visit. Keeping my fingers crossed
happy.gif

Aspialle, yes. Borrowed the small device home from the clinic. Going to start the pricking test after 5 days following the diet... Sianz...

Sunshine, u also under Dr Benjamin Tham? Y u say u meet baby for the first time? Every mth shd have monthly checkup...

Hi mummies,

Confinement Lady
May I know what is the market rate for CL through CNY next year as my EDD is end of Jan, so confinement period will pass through CNY. The CL I have found quote me $3800 if she stay throughout CNY period. Is this rate normal? How you mummy hire CL if your EDD also end or mid Jan? Thanks in advance!
happy.gif

bdmummy, I use Bengay for pain around my tailbone area and after leg cramp.

junior_jj, my gynae gave me the red tube for Bengay, it's ultra strength.

aspialle/FRIENDS, that's painful to do finger pricking test. My parents have diabetes and was advised to do the test, but because of pain, I think they didn't do test everyday.

iHerb purchase:
Thanks Sylvia for informing of free shipping. I've just placed my order. For those who needs discount code/gift code, can use this too --
HBZ907
- If the order totals more than $40, will receive $10 off
- If the order totals less than $40, will save $5

gosh aspialle, do take care!

Re : Robinson sales
ladies, i went to robinson sales @ centrepoint yesterday, tried to buy the spare parts for my medela freestyle pump but there's not much stuff there, ended up buying medela small bottles for # 2, and pigeon bottles & teats for # 1, and a delsey luggage for myself(10% +25%) super worth it, spent abt $521, after discount is $396.
So ladies, if you're going for the sales, maybe should try the branch @ Raffles City instead.

Leung Chui Yi ,

the CL price is normal.
I only engaging CL for 2 weeks so that i wont cross CNY. then do the rest myself.

It will be cheaper.

im getting the same CL, she is nice, said won't charge extra even if cross over CNY. normally the market rate is 1.5 times. she charges me $2k for 28 days

Nickole,
I am using Medela Freestyle too.
Am keen in getting some spareparts too, pls pm me.
I used to buy from TanLengLeng from oversea spree which cost much much cheaper, currently she is not taking any order
Yet, so cross finger waiting for her pm.

Just to share, I am diagnosed with GD too, wat my gynae advise is to cut carbo and take food with low GI such as whole grain bread, brown rice.. Take more protein and vegetable. Stop all sweet, fried and oily food.

Been dng the DIY blood monitoring at hme for past 1 mth, always flunk at post-dinner reading even if its fish soup with rice!!
sad.gif
recommended to take a stroll after dinner so that food can be broken down faster. Gonna try that out see if it helps

My bb growth within norm range , not oversized and hameglobin a1c test returns normal results. Haiz, I nv take had a sweet tooth pre pregnancy, only ard 20 wks start craving a lil sweet stuff n kena GD though its borderline, partly due to family history too I guess, my grandma is diabetic.

GD can be pretty fustrating! so lets all jia you together!

@friends

Yes, we get to meet e bb join every checkup. But yesterday, bb position was very good. Hence, dr that took the chance to take a pic of the bb face for us ;)

Ctrus, I used to sterilized all the pump parts last time. I pumped exclusively for #1 for 8 mths and the membranes were showing signs of wear and tear, so prob u may want to standby just 2 more membranes as replacement. Valves are made of hard plastic, did not change mine throughout and seems ok still lei. Based on medela website they recommend to boil in hot water for 10min to sterilize, but I used to just put everything in pigeon rapid sterilizer. I only know that the medela comfort breastshield not supposed to sterilize this way coz the plastic is the soft type.

Dear mummies,
do you wear disposal undies throughout the confinement? The disposal undies does it need to be specially for maternity kind?
Then the pajamas to bring to hospital must it be front button kind of pajamas?

My frd wore disposable panties throughout her confinement. Watson selling 7pcs for $2. Yes, better to get front button kind of PJs

<font color="119911">Averie: whether to wear disposable panties will depend on if u ok to let ur cl or helper wash ur normal undies? Since you not supposed to "touch" water... Personally feel that no need to get those disposables which are specially for maternity type.
Front button pj recommended so that breastfeeding can be done easier, no need to undress fully...</font>

I wore disposable panties throughout the confinement. Bought those cotton panties.. Slightly more ex but more comfortable...

I wore normal panties as paper disposable panties very itchy n uncomfortable. in the end, I din use 1 pc, so I am thinking shld I use it this time as I saw cotton disposable type now.

Front button pj if u r thinking to bf. I use hospital pj instead as I find it easier to bf.

My mum in law has always been interested to take care of babies.. Today she told my son that once the bb is born, mama will not love him anymore thus he should ask mama to let Ahmah take care of the bb. In this way he can stay with mama and visit his little bro once a week. Luckily my son did not get jealous or get wrong idea.

Thanks Sylvia

The price is quite steep for the same number of days on normal period. I will enage her through CNY period as we dun want to trouble our in laws or my parents.

Any one will be helping you for the rest of the two weeks confinement?

Leung Chui Yi,

Will be doing the rest of the confinement myself without help. PIL nt willing to help, parents nt here to help.
happy.gif

Anyway, during my #1, I did 40 days, the extra 12 days, I did on my own with a list of things the CL taught, so I followed boil red dates, cooked but I did do confinement tingkat for 1 wk n hv LS coz too heaty n nt suitable for my body, so in the end, I did the food myself.

I heard 5k thru out CNY for CL.
happy.gif

So urs is consider reasonable.

Aspialle

ar... ur MIL power!! If I am there, I will ban her straight from visiting anymore. :p

hw can say such things that mum dun love #1 when bb comes. ur #1 still v young?

I think if my #1 heard that, 1st cry, 2nd will hv emo issue and I will blow MIL's head off!
:p

Dear all,
Thanks for the advice. Next week ask my husband bring me go find front button pajamas. I think Chinatown should have. haha...
Disposable panty i will just buy from watson since is cheap. I see Gmarket(Qoo10) is selling disposable cotton undies 5 for $5.20 so ex compare to watson disposable

Syvia, ya she said in front of me, my son and hubby. I think it's wrong to educate child in this way. Last time when I have no 1, she keep telling my son that mama is a bad person just becos I did not let her take care. I become sahm to take care myself, she was pissed off becos she wan me to go to work n put bb at her place. I appreciate her kindness in wanting to help but for her she is one extremist, if bb put at her place can only bring back during weekends n for us as parents we have no say over how to take care of bb etc

Averie, for disposable panties, suggest that u buy one packet and try first. Cos some really like paper and stiff plus tight. Might not be comfortable and suitable during confinement as we tend to sweat a lot. The disposable cotton ones usually cost about $5 per pack.

I wonder if i shd be worried if my gynae did not ask me to do the OGTT test. But i understand it must be done by 28 weeks which i have passed already. Wonder y it has to be done by 28 weeks.

Reason i m concern is cos my baby is rather big.. no glucose in my urine though so my gynae say no need to be concern for GD but hmm, cant help worrying about it.

Elp mum: u can try sleeping on left side more?Shd allow more blood flow to baby.

aspialle, ur MIL really too much. Sometimes, I dunno what to say when they "pattern". Like recently I was super PISSED off with my MIL. Though I am super grateful that she helps me care for my gal over the weekend so my hb and I get to have some rest and couple time, I cannot help but feel upset when my gal don't want to go home. And the best part is I can feel that my MIL is gleeful about it. She will "encourage" my daughter's unwillingness. Like my dotter will hug on to her and she will just let her instead of counselling her that she should go home with us. Anyway I complain to my mum and she told me it was the same with my grandma... SHEEZ... Seriously, I will never do that to my DIL no matter how much I love my grandchildren.

Friends/Averie, for disposable panties - I STRONGLY suggest that you get the cotten ones. I have tried and bought many packs of the WATSONS brand for cotton undies and they are as good as those sold at Robinsons/dept store. I swear by them now for my travelling cos they are CHEAPER than Robinsons (either 3 plus or 4 dollars a pack, for the comfort it's well worth it).The non-cotton, i.e. paper undies are really itchy and scratchy. The last thing u need during ur confinment is uncomfortable undies... LOL!

Yiping, no need to fret. If you do not have GD, there may be genetic factors that is the reason why your baby is bigger in size than average. I have met you and u are quite tall, if ur hb also is, there is nothing to worry. I would assume also that you and hb were born more than 3.2kg at birth? If yes, don't worry yah? JTS, last night I was watching discovery home and health "Deliver me: Home Edition". The gynae told the pregnant mummy that the size of the baby will grow as big as the mummy can handle in a vaginal birth. So if the mummy has a small pelvis bone, the baby is not likely to be very big in size so that the baby can get thru during natural birth.
happy.gif

I failed my GTT too and have posted personal opinions here http://lifeafterbfp.blogspot.sg/ for those who are clueless on what to eat, I will try to post some recipes soon.

There are alot of online info on diabetes but not much that focus on GD specifically.

Yiping: If you have not been asked to do the test chances are you are not at risk so no need to worry. I read about 8-10% of preggy ladies gets it so you are prob the lucky one.

Good morning ladies!

Yiping : i do agree with snow, if you're tall and your hubby is also in the same size, chances are your bb will be big.

Re : disposable panties
I thought TMC provides them? I didn't bring any disposable ones with me when i had my #1, i only bring 1 to wear home, and 1 is the one which i wore to delivery.

I have been having this feeling that bb will be out in late dec rather than Jan. Hubby has this feeling too.

Freesia, i din receive ur pm leh. i m oso using freestyle
happy.gif

Serena, i dun have problems with fs battery. i used it for abt 6 mths..
for maternity wear, i bought mine at a shop at toa payoh, the stretch behind Courts.

Bdmummy, i m oso looking at LittleThinkies and Megababystore. the prices are quite the same and i dunno whether if we could get a discount anot too.. haha.. so just try lor. =P

Elp_mum, for me, during my #1, i had economic rice from outside too. everyday my hubby will ta-bao our dinner back home. dun think urs is due to ur diet. try sleeping on ur left side more, supposed to help pump more blood to ur placenta.

For GD, my fren said her gynae told her to control diet and for soup, just eat ingredients, but dun drink soup. eg if having fish soup, just eat fish, but dun take soup.
Even fresh milk contain sugar as well, so limit milk intake too.

Ctrus, i used to throw my valves and membranes into steriliser too. that time still using Medela mini electric plus. so just dump everything in, including softshield. but softshield not supposed to be sterilised. lol! end up torn! anyway softshield now is discontinued liao.

Averie, u can get front button cotton pjs at Toa Payoh Central too. provided u r near lah.. haha.. its in front of the NTUC at HDB Hub, one of the small shops. quite cheap too.

canopyhaze, I'm hoping bb will come out in Jan. But hb is hoping for december (cos he says he will be home due to sch hols). Haha...

Aspialle, yes. She stays with me for weekdays. As a baby, we will bring her home every evening so she is only at my MIL's place from mornings till evening say 5pm? I feel that for my MIL, she just feel very "shiok" that the child is so attached to her... On the other hand, my gal's cousins are wishing they had parents who will bring them home for quality time (their parents are divorced). Sometimes, like the chinese say "sheng zai fu zhong, bu zhi fu".

nickole, milk + fruits (sucrose) have natural sugars in them so if got GD got to control the food intake. As for milk, the special mummy formula should be avoided I guess cos it's really sweeter than fresh milk (IMHO). The #1 fruit to ban is *drum rolls* DURIAN! Grapes oso...
happy.gif

Hi Mummies,

Am at my 24 weeks now.. and Baby is already at 800g.. (400g @ 20 weeks) Is mine considered a big baby?

1st time mum here so not really sure of the 'norm'.

Hubby and I are considered tall and I have always been a plus size person.

Worried Baby may be too big for me to deliver naturally..

nickole : wait for me, need to order some spare parts for my freestyle. When are you going to order?

Snow : both of us really hope that bb can be out by Jan, cos really don't want to subject him to the competitive environment. But will see how la.

mummydt : i think your bb is consider average size. Mine is 1.002g @ wk 26 and 379g @ wk 20. So yours should be quite similar to mine.

Hi sorry just happen to be reading past post.

If anyone ordering membrances or valves, can let me know too? I got a 2nd hand PIS and is totally new to it. Am told that I have to replace the membrances/valves.

Thanks!

Back