(2012/05) May 2012

Congrats Phyllis!

Kris: I also hope to latch her again. But she's stil impatient. Ya, now pump can fetch quite an amount to last her for next few feeds. But I don't pump during midnight cos Its the peak hour for her to cry to be carry to slp. This explains for my posting at this hour. So physically n emotionally drained .. Haiz..

Anyway, same as mamagene: is there any concern if baby wants to be fed shortly after the previous feed?

Rabbitz: how do you know that you have uterus prolapse? I googled for the symptoms and I do still feel the pressure below...

Feeding:
Do you wake baby up for feeds at night when they are sleeping?

Ak - I latch on demand. So I can be feeding like every hour or so. Furthermore I lazy to rock him to sleep so l latch him to sleep. Very bad habit.

Zp - if yours is formula fed then I guess no need ba. But if tbf then u prob need to express ?

ZP-
Symptoms are: feeling heavy below and groin area pain. Backside feels sore. Pain when walk or stand for long time, feel better lying down. Saw gynea and he examined and said its uterus low and to do pelvic exercise. Had this very heavy feeling below while at hospital already, Thot was stitches pain.

I couldn't get my little gal to latch on!! Nurse say she is to lazy to suck!! So I now using pump out for her!! Got Any advise to help??

Congrats Phyllis. I am still waiting
happy.gif

To try to make bb latch better I think they said that don't give them the choice of the bottle. Cos bb needs to suckle harder to achieve the letdown. Whereas they don't have to work that hard for bottle. Maybe u try to latch again and not give bb the bottle for a day??? Jus a suggestion

Mama_gene: I'm doing the same as you! I don't wake bb at night but will wake her in the day every 3 hrs or so. Also, each feed I take abt 1 hour cos' this includes time trying to wake her up if she falls asleep and to burp her when I change sides.

Sometimes when my bb gets lazy to suck and becomes impatient when latching, I will carry her walk walk to calm her down before trying to latch again. It works sometimes cos' she gets tired after crying and just latch in the end.

Was very busy w the full month celebration!

Star:Which hospital were you at? Did you get help from the LC there? I stayed at a double room when my gal was re-admitted to Mt A for jaundice, so can hear the LC and nurses spent hours to teach my neighbour until baby can latch. And I heard that for Mt A, you can still call their hotline after discharged.

dear all, can i join in? my bb is just 1wk old.. Are you gals all prepared for baby shower already? I am lazy to prepare actually.

mama, after bfing, i suggest you to pump.. this is to stimulate our bm.. most impt, drink lots of fluid. and no stress!!

Dolly: I stay at mt A oso ... They did teach my bb but they say she is to lazy to latch on... For my 2 days stay at mt A we try alot of times but end up bb crying lyk hell ...

mamagene, I used to be facing the same issue too, bb latched and drank then seems like not enough so give fm..(according to my cl, he still hungry)..after persevering for about 3 weeks, he can latch on and no need any fm to supplement already.. but my baby drinks both bm n fm, i only latch him on once a day at night..the rest bottlefeed, he doesnt seem to be confused with the nipple..maybe drink too fast also didnt notice la..haa..
happy.gif

btw any mummies want medela S teats? My boy is using M now and I still have 4 boxes of S..

My bb also can't latch well so the consultant suggest using nipple shield to get bb to suck on the nipple to help with the engorgement. However this is only a temporary solution. She ask mr to try latching on again abt a week or two later cos bb tend to latch better when they are older.
Now I try to latch with the shield but she still need to supplement with EBM with bottle after latch, abt 60ml.

So I still need to pump diligently every 3-4 hrs to clear the engorge...

oh by the way, for the full month celebration, I tried Xin Yi Pin as I saw their advertisement on the baby books..Had 4 rounds of buffet..and their food is really good! Very value for money..they are new, not much review on website but I tried anyway..
happy.gif

Recommending to mummies who are thinking about catering for your celebration..

Hi mommies, just joined. Gave birth on 18th may at mount A. I'm facing probs latching too... so I'm thinking of doing exclusive pumping instead, though still need to sup with FM. Anyone gave up on latching and gonna do exclusive pumping too? Read in other forums tt it can actually work if pump consistently.

Thanks mummies for the well-wishes. It has been a busy week settling down and getting some sort of a routine going with the little bub. In any case, below is my birth story.

20th May 2012
Woke up with contractions about an hour apart. Carried on doing daily chores and even yoga. By 2pm, felt contractions about 30mins apart or so. Went for a walk in the park and informed hubby that it could be happening today. Reached home and showered, had some food and sorted everything out before heading to the hospital. Even took the bus and by then the contractions were about 10mins apart.

630pm: Reached the hospital, placed in delivery room and put on CTG machine for 30mins
715pm: Midwife did vaginal check and was 6cm dilated with contractions 5mins apart. Taken off the CTG machine and told to chill until waterbag burst naturally. Reminded her abt waterbirth and have to wait until about 8cm dilated before we can get in the tub
10 minutes after she left, felt urge to push. So hubby called for midwife and was put on CTG again, this time for 15mins.
8pm: Midwife came in and told her I have great urge to push. She did vaginal check and was already 8cm dilate. So she decided to burst the waterbag. Once the waterbag burst, everything was a blur and delivered Maya within 2 contractions (2 push). Because it happened so fast, she was in shock and Apgar score was not so high when tested. But she managed to breastfeed 15mins after birth and have been feeding well since.

Maya was born on 20 May at 8:15pm (German time), weighing 3.25kg and 51cm long. It was a little bit disappointing that we did not manage to do the water birth but as I always said, we can plan but never have control of the situation. Being in a hospital here has been quite an experience and very different indeed.

To all mummies who are breastfeeding, don't give up. Keep trying and trying!

Dear mommies, I am new here. Had given birth on 7th may. I am facing latching problem since I brought my bob back home. He cried and cried for milk. Though I have the milk supply but because of my short nipple, he can't latch properly. I had seek lactation consultation's help. He latched when the consultant assisted but when I get home, things just failed. Finally I decided on exclusive pumping and now I am getting a good milk supply, meeting my bb's demand. Though it is very tiring to pump and bottle feed, at least my bb and I are happy. So those who will like to do exclusive pumping, do go ahead and do not give up. At least bb is still getting breast milk.

Should any mummy will like to upgrade your child medishield plan , kindly contact me at 82225541.
Can always meet up to see if you are comfy to have me as your financial advisor
happy.gif

Medishield plan is essential as it covers for a comprehensive hospitalisaion expenses.Eg.Hospitalised due to severe H&F,dengue fever etc.

Hey,

Need some advise from breastfeeding mummies,

Given birth last week and milk supply is already in, my issue is whether there is a real need to pump/latch every 3 hourly. I've been too tired, hence only been pumping whenever I feel the fullness in my breasts. Currently pumping roughly 200-300ml per session total from both breasts. Since my bb can't drink so much now anyway it should be ok to go with 5-6 hourly pumps instead?

Are any mummies already freezing excess BM? I read that our BM changes with the growth of our bb, so feeding the bb frozen EBM a few months from now means she's not really getting the right nutrients for her age?

Genevieve: my girl does not latch on that well thus has been diligently waking up at every 3hrs to pump and now supply is 160ml per session. As long as she gets the bm, not really worried if it's bf or expressed.

I also got the problem on latching bb. So I jus give up on latching, but I still pump out n give my bb to drink ... Sometime I just feel abit down when bb can't latch on... Sad~

Yumii: You shd still pump/latch every 3 hourly to maintain supply.

Each baby is different so don't feel bad if yours doesn't latch or have difficulty latching. With #1, I tried to direct breastfeed but she refused to latch and ended up pumping. So I understand how depressing and frustrating it can be.

With #2 & #3, I also had to express since they were born premature and could not be breastfeed immediately. By the time they were discharged frm hospital, they had gotten used to the teat and rejected my nipple. Even with #4 I struggled to get her to latch on and feed properly in the first 2 weeks but after that she was ok and I became less stressed in feeding and began to enjoy it. I think that also played an important role in successful breastfeeding. I've been lucky with this baby [#5] that she latched on immediately after birth and have been doing well since.

At the end of the day, we want the best for our babies and we do what is best for them. But at the same time, we also put a lot of pressure on ourselves to make things right and perfect, which results in frustration and even depression. My advice is to not give up and to keep trying. Get help from a LC if possible. If all else fails, there is always the breastpump and it won't make you less of a parent. At least your baby will still get the nutrients he/she needs.

Btw, congrats to the other mummies who have also delivered! Am sure you must be so relieved that we no longer have to play the waiting game
happy.gif

Hi mummies
I have given birth on 23 may and now pumping milk. Can I check is my supply normal? Per session around 80ml. Sometimes 60.. Is it normal or on the low side?

The thing about exclusive pumping is that you are so dependent on the pump. I was so frantic when my medela Pisa stopped working ( i itchy fingers and meddledd with the transformer settings) that I cried as I was worried tt if I dun pump on time my ss will drop... Found out later it's the adapter tt is spoilt and have been running on batteries nw. So paranoid nw tt am thinking if shld get another set as spare or even getting a new fridge ( old one starting to leak water nw).

amy yeo - there is no norm. different mummies different. as long as you are able to meet your baby's need, you shouldn't worry too much. if you want to increase, just be consistent in pumping at least once every 3 hours. it will slowly increase.

My baby boy has put on nearly 1kg in just 20 days. wondering if it's very fast. He is drinking 80 - 90ml of bm every 2 - 3 hours. PD say i'm feeding too much. For his current weight, average should be drinking 70ml every 3 hours.

ublur:I bought party goodies over times from BP in SMH, keep them handy early early.

Yumii: If you have good supply, reducing number of pump will reduce it. It's always good to keep some excess but not too much. And yeah, our milk does change when baby growth, so latching is the best way for our baby to "tell" us what kind of milk they want.

Miss Freedom: My #1 can't latch well and the nurse told me I've an inverted nipple therefore hard for baby to suck. Anyway, I keep trying and never give up (didn't buy any FM for CL). My son breastfeed fully and now my daughter has no problem latching, guess my nipple kind of shaped by #1 liao... haha

But got another problem, my #1 refused bottles and pacifier before he turned 6th month, so my nanny got to spoon feed. But he also learnt to use straw then.

Esteelin: Dun forget our hormones also played a part in our emotions. Eventhough I don't depend on the pump then, when I could find that my freestyle keep leaking, I cried as well! Because my supply not that good and it's such a waste! All the emo is "normal" ;)

Mama gene, I hv the same prob with u...
Is it normal that we latch like an hr???
I tink whole day my bb n I hide in the room can Liao...

Sometime aft bfing for an hr, I still need to top up fm for him than he can go to his lalaland

I heard expo bb fair got diapers offer
Not too sure if it pampers, they are selling like 3pkts for $10!!
Think shld b for NB

Mummies interested mayb can go chk it out
happy.gif

How big is your baby Kris? My baby is 4 weeks and he is drinking 90ml every 1 to 1.5hrs...PD says as long as he wants to drink and poo ok, then shdnt be a prob..

yumii, your supply is really good..everytime I pump, I only get between 70 to 100ml in all from both breasts, sometimes it can even drop to 50ml..and I pump every 3 hours as well..

Littledotty - he is 20 days old loh. Put on 1kg from his birth weight.
Dunknow what's wrong with him these 2 days. Kept crying, not sleeping. And when he doesn't sleep, he keep asking for milk. He seems uncomfortable but I can't tell what's wrong.

Milk is being produced at all times, with speed of production depending upon how empty the breast is. Milk collects in mom’s breasts between feedings, so the amount of milk stored in the breast between feedings is greater when more time has passed since the last feed. The more milk in the breast, the slower the speed of milk production.

To speed milk synthesis and increase daily milk production, the key is to remove more milk from the breast and to do this quickly and frequently, so that less milk accumulates in the breast between feedings:

EMPTYBreast=FASTERMilkProduction

In practice, this means that a mother who wishes to increase milk supply should aim to keep the breasts as empty as possible throughout the day.

http://kellymom.com/pregnancy/bf-prep/milkproduction/

Miss freedom, you can try to use nipple shield to help with your latching problem. Tats Wat the LC advised, till bb is a little bit more older u can try direct latch again.
I need bb latch on to clear my blocked ducts so can pump out fully, if not they form hard lumps which are painful.
So far I try to get bb to latch on both sides at least once day n I pump every 3-4 hrs.
My #1 is helping to clear "stock" cos as of now..ss is higher than dd...

Hi mummies, have been MIA for quite sometime. Too tired Liao..

I'm also doin exclusive pumping cos my gal too inpatient to latch on. But I got one prob with one side, doesn't seem to produce as much milk as the other side. How to solve this?

Also, I've been quite down for last couple of days, been crying at times. My Hubby n family quite worried with me. Haiz.. Mummy is indeed the toughest job in the world.

Mummies who are pumping, does your milk squirt? Coz mine squirts out at quite a fast rate and I think it's an issue why my girl is having a problem at the breast, she seems to be putting in a lot of energy just to feed and she kind of chokes at times.

I too have a problem with one side producing less milk. sometimes it's just slightly less, but at times, its about 1/5 of what the other side is producing. Is this a problem?

AK: It's perfectly normal to have this 'down' feeling as our hormones are 'out of whack' still. I had it too last week. Just make sure it's not too frequent as this could be a sign of or lead to PND (post natal depression). Motherhood is indeed not an easy job but when you learn to enjoy it instead of stressing over it, it's all gonna work out fine
happy.gif

Yumii: The squirt is called a let-down and that is actually the 'best' part of the breastmilk. My girl also has problems when I feel my let down coming when she it latched on. She will choke and pull away frm the breast and then I have breastmilk squirting all over. But I believe that they will grow to deal with this and learn to suck better over time.

I definitely have more milk on my right side than left but also because I notice she feeds longer on the right. So now, in an attempt to balance it out, I try to feed more on the left too. Seems to work I think.

yumii: Now I remember, when I started working and before bb turned 6 mth (TBF), I used to pump twice in office and each time only about 200ml in total, so it will be just nice filling up 4 to 5 glass bottles. So your 200-300ml every pump is really good especially your baby still so young.

I'm too lazy to start pumping! huh... but nanny reminded me got to let baby get used to bottle... she scared like my #1, refused bottles and pacifier and she got to spoon feed.

Anyway, there's always one side more milk then the other, and because of that,sometimes I also tend to feed baby on that side, cos it leaks easily. But it will just make matter worse, cos like cottagehut said, emptying the breast will cause faster milk production. So the empty one gets emptier. Anyway, need to balance out.

Hi Mummies,

Try not to be too stress over the milk supply. Relax and drink more liquids, that also will help the supply. I remembered that I also had more milk on one side compared to the other. Just remember the side that you had fed previously longer and start on the other (Eg: Left side 15 mins, right 10 mins, start on Right the next time). Back then I had a notebook to indicate which side I had stopped at. Nowadays there is Apps on the smart phone that can help us. They are free to be downloaded.

Regarding stocking up of BM. I did stock up last time and I did the First in First out thing. So after a month, I try to feed my bb those that were stored earlier in the month or the month before.

Anyway I am not sure of my supply this time round too. At the moment, I have NOT pop yet! Today is the EDD but no signs yet. Hiaz... I am still waiting, wondering when she wants to make her appearance. I already talked to her and tell her to make her appearance. Hopefully by this weekend as she will be overdue! Any mummies who are overdue?

Now she will be a June Bb.

In what quantities should we store BM in the freezer? Let's say I wanna stock up for my bb to be used in her 2nd month, would 100ml be a good amount?

Dolly200906
My little boy is willing to latch on at times, but will keep shaking his head whenever I bring my nipple near to his mouth. Takes him a few seconds to latch on. But at least he does. Is really so tiring to latch and pump.

DolceVita
I am latching once a day and the rest of the feeds will be bottle feeding.

How much should a 3 weeks old bob be drinking? Mine is taking in about 100ml each feed, every 3 hours. Sometimes could be every 2 hours or 1 hour. Seems like there is certain timing that he needs to be fed on hourly basis. This happens in the morning from 9am to 12pm. Anyone facing this problem as well?

Anyone gave bb pacifier? Is it a bad idea? I read that it's bad for his dental development and he might swallow more air. But if he keeps crying, he's also swallowing air. Also read that shldnt use it for bb less than 1 mth old...

Back