(2012/05) May 2012

hello mummies,

exciting time for most of us esp during these 2 months.. i think most mummies here will pop by ard 2 months time, including me! i'm 31 wks now.. alot of things not prepared yet.. and i havent found a maid yet.. looks like i will have to look after my baby on my own when my confinement lady leaves after 1 month..

i also got baby clothes not washed yet.. think will start washing in April. need to use baby detergent to wash right?

my colleague gave me some checklist, thought i share it here:

1. Feeding time
1.1 For breastfeeding
-Nursing bras:2 pairs (Cotton material is the best)
-Disposable breast pads:1 box

1.2 For breastfeeding w/ expressing
-Breast pump
-Bottles with caps

1.3 Bottle feeding
-Powdered baby milk:3 cans (Consult your paediatrician for type of formulae)
-Bottles with teats and caps
-Bottle sterilising equipment
-Bottle cleaning cleaner:2 (Highly recommended brand: Pigeon, those with fully sponged type. Brush type is not as effective)
-Baby plastic feeding spoon:1
-Baby compact milk powder container:1
-Bottle warmer:1 (Optional)

WHAT TO INCLUDE IN THE HOSPITAL BAG
1. For yourself
-Two nightdresses (Get those with open-front, buttons all the way, for easier breastfeeding)
-Slippers:1 pair
-Nursing bras:2 pairs
-Disposable breast pads:24 pieces
-Necessary toiletries
-Books/ Magazines
-Camera (Remember to load it)
-Cash
-Disposable maternity pads:2 packets (Get more to last say 2 weeks)
-Disposable maternity briefs:2 packs (Get more to last say 2 weeks)
-Going home clothes:1 set
-Jumper/ sweater:1 piece (Get those with open-front, buttons all the way, for easier breastfeeding)
-Face towel:1 piece
-Tissues:1 box
-Breast Pump:1 set (Use to simulate lactation as soon as after delivery)
-Essence of Chicken:Few bottles
-Snacks: Few packets (Get those in smaller packing i.e., biscuits)
-Instantly ready beverages: Few packs (Suggest 3-in-1 milo packs)

2. For baby
-Mittens/ botties:2 pairs (Though baby will be at the nursery, good to have them in case your baby feels cold)
-Going home clothes:1 piece
-Baby disposable wet wipes:1 packet
-Baby disposable nappies: Few pieces
-Baby toiletries:see note
-Shawl:1 piece

N/B: Though good to check what the hospital is providing, it is always good to bring your own in case supply provided by your hospital runs out during your stay.

Meanwhile, let's all enjoy our 3rd trimester before we pop ya!!
happy.gif
jia you mummies!!

candymix:
yes, whatever parts that can be taken out has been washed with dettol and those that can't, sprayed with Febreeze and place it under the sun for a while.

newbie2012:
Thanks & that is a very extensive list!

BabyL

Hey r u the same person I met in the TTC 2008/2009 thread???

Thanks for the feedback on the steamer=blender. Can it still be used now? As in, dun puree, just to steam food? Maybe fish, or some veg?

Wow that's a great list! I must make a note to check against it. Still quite blur altho not first time liao

Ayana: You can find Tiny Love products at most department stores, Kiddy Palace or Motherswork.

Babysean: I guess the epidural does help with the pain, just that the waiting can be quite dreadful. I hope the labour/delivery will be more straightforward for you this time around
happy.gif

Rabbitz: Can't really do much really back problem especially if you've had it before you were preggers. But how about going to a chiropractor to get an adjustment done? Or go swimming to help relieve the pain.

Chocolateteddy: With my other kids, I placed the tub on the bathroom floor and just bought me one of those kids' step stool (frm Ikea) to sit on. That was comfortable for me but of course, to each their own
happy.gif

zp1503: So sorry to hear about your fungal infection. I had herpes zonal when I was pregnant with my twins and my entire left side of the body was covered with rashes. It was not pleasant. Plus I had to get jabs every day for a whole week. Worst, I was on holiday in Spain at that time! My gynae said that it is normal that our immune system is weaker during pregnancy and for me, it was bad as I was carrying twins. He said the chicken pox virus (I had it when I was 11years old) never fully left my system and thus attacked my body again when it was at its weakest. I hope the cream does help you though and that it will go away soon!

Newbie - Thanks for sharing your list!

I think I'm almost done with my shopping list, at least the bulky items are covered. Now left the small items...

Candymix - Ya I stop the Mars bars but cos of my reflux prob, I tend to choose sweet foods so the after effect is not so bad. I guess I hv to stop with the desserts... sigh...

I will be hunting for a changing table (or just a suitable tall table) so tt I can use it to put the bath tub. I'll try the taka fair again cos tt day din really look out for it. I know Ikea hv (cheap cheap) so maybe I'll go see if its suitable.

Today I went for 4d scan at tmc... wat a disappointment... My girl "shy", hide even tho we spent so much time trying to "kachow" her to turn her face. I dun have any 3d pics of her and thot it'll be nice to have some for her to see when she grows up. But good to know she growing nicely
happy.gif

When we arrived there, saw a mommy w her daughter. Her girl, abt 3 or 4 maybe, was crying very badly cos she had an introvenous line on her. Both her hands were taped up with padding so she can't move them, prob to prevent her from touching the needle. She had the pole and bag rolling with her. Sitting there looking at her and hearing her cries, I started to cry also... even now toking abt it I'm tearing up... So sad lor... She kept saying she wanna go home, or go gai gai(?), while crying. Lucky her mommy was calm & tok to her and tell her dun cry cos she can't make out wat she trying to say, hehe. Poor little girl.

Ok last thing before i go...

Diapers!!!

How many of u used/ will be using washable cloth diapers? How shld I decide if I shld try doing this? Wat is good? The simple white muslin nappies tt hv to pin? Or the moomookow type? Are there also other cloth options tt I dun know of? Wat abt diaper liner? Wats this abt?
I'm so confused abt this topic...

Chocolateteddy: Am going to try reusable cloth diapers this time around, mostly for home but will still use disposable ones when we are out for the convenience. Am planning to use the moomookow type but haven't bought any yet as I'm also still researching on this topic. Bumwear is pretty popular in SG it seems.

As far as the liners go, there are different types with different absorbency. What you have to do is line accordingly if you want them to last longer esp for night time. AS far as I know, if you use the All-in-Ones, you don't have to use inserts but they take longer to dry.

sasha: tks, this round chosen c-section, so should be smooth delivery.

newbie: tks for the list!

diapers: i'm one lazy mummy. i will opt to use disposable ones. for my 1st one, i did buy cloth diapers but end up din use at all.

taka sale: got a playpen, so i think i'm almost ready except for bb laundry, wash bb clothes, buy bb diapers, find sleepwear and pack bag. wow, seems like still a lot of things to do. hee. 1st kid too long ago, totally lost touch on how to handle newborn. cham. feel like 1st time mummy again.

Chocolateteddy, i bought my bath tub stand here in singapore motherhood for only SGD 10.

btw, where do you buy your playpen mattress cover? i got 2 sets from the taka fair, the cheekybonbon brand. for pillows and bolsters, do you buy the small size? if so, when baby outgrows them and you buy new pillow and bolster cases, there's a chance that bedsheet and pillowcases won't match.

yeah i oso keen in buying bath tub stand.

all the bath tubs i see are so big. duno how to bath the baby sitting down. back sure ache like mad.

Diapers > My mother-in-law is asking me to buy cloth diapers because its better for boys - is there such a thing? Actually I already got some disposable ones because I think I wont be such hardworking too to wash all the cloth diapers.. besides my mum will be helping to take care for both mine and my sis' baby so it will be easier for her if I use disposables?

Anyone going for maternity shoots soon?

Ayana, i just searched here in the forum and somebody was offering hers for only SGD 10. The stand still looks brand new and sturdy. We brought it to Ikea to try if it would fit on their bath tub and it's ok.

At Kiddy Palace, a bath tub with stand costs SGD 69.90. Mothercare and Motherswork sell the stand at SGD 80+ I think...

hehe welcome.. i oso first time mummy.. alot of things dunno.. so gathering info from colleagues and friends and books. hopefully can prepare myself.. but feel totally unprepared haha..

im delivering at Mt A. Apparently Mt A will give free bath tub.. so if you are delivering at Mt A, i think no need to buy bath tub..

my feet looks so swollen (can't see my veins!).. my colleague just told me it's a sign that im going to give birth.. oh no no.. still early.. im only 31 wks. and my confinement lady will only be available mid April onwards.. praying that the delivery will be of good timing.. and nearer to EDD.. which is first week of May..

tummy getting big.. so gets heavier each day.. abit tiring now if i walk for too long..

the good thing is now can feel baby movement like all the time.. and the movements are very obvious now.. it's like there's a bond between me and baby starting to build up even before bb is born..
happy.gif

Yingzz:
Yes, i am going for maternity shoot next month which is about 33 wks as recommended by them. I've signed up with Studio Loft. I didn't get a chance to do this during my first pregnancy cos had preterm birth.... so die die this time round will do it cos its going to be the first and last time.

Now just hope that the patches on my tummy disappears soon!

>> newbie2012: try propping your legs up (using a pillow) when you sleep.. apparently it helps blood circulation~ i also feel my tummy getting heavier and more difficulty walking.. but i think mine is still consider small..

>> zp1503: ooh 33 weeks is the best time for maternity shoot? I should faster start looking and confirming one soon.. have been procrastinating.. try not to scratch the patches and i hope they will disappear soon!

yingzz: thanks! i got a maternity (moon-shaped) bolster.. and i usually lie on my side when i sleep.. will that be sufficient if i hug it while sleeping on my side? must both legs be on the pillow/bolster or 1 leg will do? if sleep on the side, how do i prop up both legs? hehe not sure the position i shd be in.. i wanna try to reduce my swollen feet! actually ive raised this concern to my gynae during my last visit.. he said its normal and no need to do anything particular.. but it has been swollen for sometime liao.. and today my colleague reminded me again that my feet looks v swollen..

maternity shoot - hmm... i havent thought abt that yet.. nowadays i dun really like to take photos.. but it's nice to keep the photos since we dont get preggie all the time haha.. ok, i will think abt it soon.. =)

Anywhere to recommend for the maternity shots ? Need to take these 2 weeks cos I think I'm gg to pop end April....

Today took leave to rest and go Taka fair to trade in old bottles for Medela bottles.

Maternity shoot: I have been procrastinating too! Bec #1 didn't take and this should be the final baby. But hubby keep saying don't waste money...;( I have a forum frd who did nice shots which I considered. Her pics r v nice and price is reasonable. If u keen, pls pm me.

Kayla: so shiok to take leave and go shopping! I wish I could do that too...but teachers gt no leave!! I prob gg take bb fair later this evening or tml.

Btw any mummies got a infant car seat? I rem last time I didn't use a car seat until shes much older. Should get during the bb fair??

Eunice, welcome! Ur edd is v close to my bday...;)

Zp: I have a itchy tummy too!! Scratch till my masseur thought I gt ezema....but I think they can photoshop the patches if it doesn't heal on time. ;)

Hi Eunice, mine is May 15 =) Today just turn 30 weeks too!

Maternity shoot, I would like to but, do not have any nice enough clothes to wear for the shoot!

I do not have itchy tummy but my fingers joints are achy.

Excited and scared....
and I still havent choose Hospital yet. Will need to confirm by this Saturday Gynae review.
I also want a photoshoot, but I don't want to spend too much and Ayana same as u, I do not have nice clothes to wear. And I gain so many weight scare look v ugly unlike those slim slim one

Sardonyx: Used to get my playpen mattress cover from Kiddy Palace. I usually just use a donut pillow until they are about 3 months then I will get a pillow/bolster set which they usually use into toddlerhood. My 8 year old still uses her pillow from when she was 2!

Yingzz: This is the first time I'm hearing that cloth diapers are better for boys
happy.gif
For me, it's just doing my part for the environment. Am a bit more aware of such things ever since I had kids.

Newbie2012: Yes, prop your feet as much as you can even when you are on the couch watching TV or at work. I am also a side sleeper and what I do is just place a firm pillow or cushion at the end/edge (almost) of the bed and rest my feet accordingly. Your doctor is right though. You can't get rid of it until after baby is born but I heard if you limit walking long distances, that helps too.

As for maternity photoshoots, had never done one with the previous pregnancies so won't do one now. What I've done is take weekly shots of myself to put on our baby blog
happy.gif

Maternity shoot:
I also dun have nice maternity clothes but i intend to take those artistic ones where u dun wear anything,hee! 33 wks is only a guide given by the photographer, thus can check with them before u sign up.

Maternity shoot:
I was contemplating between studio loft n dphotofolio. Most likely will choose dphotofolio. I wanna do shoot for newborn too! Looks so cute! Hvnt call to book yet... Can't bear to part w the money cos dunno photos turn out nice anot. Hubby camera shy somemore...

Jul, yes lah! Told u before that we used to be in same thread. After mc, i changed nick. Haha! I havent try fish though... Veg can steam... I tried meat before too... The original taste also nice!

Newbie, thanks for sharing the list! I was still thinking what to bring n wanna find old record but yet to search... =p

Hi mummies,

Any recommendations for confinement catering? Heard Natal Essentials is good. anyone try b4 during their #1 ?

BabyL

Alamak! Sorry sorry, bad memory!

Kayla

I tried Natal Essentials for my m/c. Not bad. They are willing to exclude stuff that I don't like such as liver, kidney etc. And the stuff comes in disposable ware so you don't have to wash. The red date tea n soup comes in a vacuum sealed container so there's no spillage & everything is packed into an insulated bag to keep warm. Portion is quite big too, which is needed if you're BF-ing.

M_int

I bought a convertible (those new born to 26kg) type of car seat. Face backwards when they're young, then turn & face forwards as they get older & bigger. Now gog to upgade my #1 to a Combi booster seat to let the baby have the convertible.

Hi,

Sorry to disturb, Apr MTB here. For those who have attended Mrs Wong's class and are interested in getting the Avent Baby Bottom Balm that she highly recommends, please drop me a PM as I am looking to let go 2 tubes that I got. Also, have 1 tube each of Desitin creamy and original to let go. Many tks.

M_int,
Like jul, I just bought a convertible car seat for birth - 18kg (did not have car when I had #1 hence no infant car seat). Plan to change to booster seat that my #1 is currently using after reach 18kg. Should check out the fair, if possible during weekdays as they have many collection from evenflo, britax, combi, maxi cosi, inglesina and the prices are cheaper than regular price. Quite worth it.

Re: Maternity Photoshoot,
Still thinking about this, considering between Bambini and Studio Loft. I did a family photoshoot with Loft last time when #1 was a baby... Will definitely do a family shoot again to capture their baby face
happy.gif

newbie2012: like what sasha says.. just try to keep your legs up as often as you can even if you are just watching tv
happy.gif
for me when i sleep on my sides i will try to prop up both legs too.. think there is no correct way of doing so.. just be arrange your legs in a comfortable position~

sasha: good that you are doing your part for the environment ^^ I am just afraid that I will be too lazy to keep washing the nappies..

Re: Maternity shoot
Hmm my sis also recommended http://www.littlemissrabbit.com.. For maternity shoot i dont think need to have fanciful clothes.. probably can think of some props you want to use? my sis got the name of her baby (those wooden alphabet pieces) to lay on her stomach.. and maybe the same colour theme clothes you can wear with hubby? thinking of doing artistic nude shot.. but may be shy sia! & not sure if hubby will be comfortable too..

sasha & yingzz: thanks ladies! okie i will take note and try to do so as often as possible..
happy.gif

enjoy your evening all mummies!! it's mid-week, the weekend is coming! im going for gynae appointment this friday. so not working that day.. "long-er" weekend yay!

I'm now 28wks and have to go back every 2 wks for checks as my baby's movements last week wasn't too good thus need closely monitoring especially i have a history of preterm birth b4.

Good and bad. Good is i get to see my gal every 2 weeks and bad is, have to spend more $$... But at least these can set my heart at ease.

ZP, good that your gynae is monitoring closely for you.. but how do determine if baby movement is not too good?

cos my gal normally moves actively during the day but last Mon she didn't move much. That was when my son was detected that there was no fluid inside me and thus he was in distress. So i went to KKH for a check but this naughty gal, once i lie down, she move so actively...

that's why my gynae was concern and he does not want history to repeat so keeping me on a close watch
happy.gif

Hi mummies,
Sorry to hijack the discussion..But is anyone planning to send their baby to an infantcare at Kovan? The infantcare is called Whole Child Nurture Centre.
Apparently my boy will be the only infant there in July and they need at least 2 babies to continue the service. Anyone interested, can check out their website.
Thanks!

I have my 28th week appt tomorrow and quited excited, as I always am to see the baby
happy.gif
Hopefully all is well *fingers cross*

ZP: How preterm was your last birth?

Ayana: If you find that baby has reduced movements during certain periods of the day when he/she is usually active, then monitor for a few days and if you get worried, you should contact your gynae.

Jul,

Can Sam be seated in booster now ?
Thought they have change the regulation to a higher height limit or higher weight limit ?

I thought of getting another car seat for #2...

Sasha, ok understand..

I did ask my gynae about the need to monitor kick counts. He said there's no need to monitor too closely as it may bring stress and panic to the mother. He mentioned we will most prob feel baby more at night as we are occupied with work and daly activities to really notice the movements.

Lastly, he said, as long as we feel some movement once in the morning, afternoon and night should be ok..

dolcevita

I bought the Combi booster seat. So far the rest all need min height of abt 100cm, which he isn't at. The seat belt will cut into his enck which I feel is very dangerous. The combi booster seat can be for shorter toddlers, just nice for him now. You can look for other brands but have to make sure that the min height is shorter lor.

Actually I already bought 1 a mth ago for FIL's car. This is the same model for our car.

After Taka delivers it & I wash it, we will keep the current car seat for #2. Don't wanna make him feel that #2 snatched his car seat.

sasha:
my preterm birth was at 34wks but baby weighing only 1.2kg.

as for the baby's movements, the last time i also monitored for a few days before went for a check but that was too late, by then dunno where all the fluid has gone to thus baby was in distress. so this time round, i'm extra careful and once i find lesser movement, i will go for a check.

hi all MTBs,

i am selling off my Ardo Calypso dual pump ;p
it's a recommended brand by hospital..
letting go at price $280 whole set with 5 bottles (nego)..
bought it at more than $500+ used for 3 mths, and kept in storage aft tat..

for more details u can pm me.. price nego!! ;p

Hi everyone! How often does Mothercare hold their baby fair? I got some baby clothes yesterday and maternity leggings - all at 50% off! Great buys!
happy.gif

Back