(2012/04) Apr 2012

lilcactus
yup colustrum could be coming in now liao. but don't squeeze too much. 'playing with your nipples' is a way to bring on labour toward the very last stretch of pregnancy, if your baby doesn't want to come out (like week 40!). btw sex is also another way to encourage baby to come out hehe.

according to my gynae, if it's real contractions, your lower part of tummy will harden, solid as a rock. and there's no mistaking it for BH. hehe sorry i can't elaborate further, i didn't touch my tummy when i was having contractions at first birth!

second time mummies
i was shocked when gynae said today that if i get 4 contractions in an hour, i should head to hospital IMMEDIATELY, don't shower, don't stop to eat, don't pass go and collect $200!

omigosh, i can't imagine squeezing in w e crowd tom. Plus i need to bring my daughter along. Hope I can just grab what i need and go! gotta brace myself for the insane crowd!

Thanks gingerbreadger for the info!

Ive been to the fair alrdy, so much better than the previous fair. Bought 3 nursing bras for 10bucks, medela nipple cream for $15+ each and lastly, 2 towels for $25.. Good deal i must say!
happy.gif

Anyway, Im experiencing freaking itchy stretchmarks on my tummy and nipples, i felt like pulling my hair!
Argh! It only started today for the stretchmarks, any mummies experiencing this as well? Any remedies to share?

Hi blue_turtle7,

i just saw your message on the pump!
So u used both avent dual and freestyle!
which is better in term of comfort and suction?
i went to bb fair today and saw the trial. Saw the "breast ball" used for medela freestyle and seem to be suck in! i "feel" painful for the nipple!
Avent dual seem more gentle thou...

Lilcactus, I've been leaking very tiny drops of discharge from very early on, maybe week 23 onwards. It's normal but ya don't squeeze the nips too much - will encourage contractions. But can massage the breasts.

Fantasy
According to the talks I attended, your nipple will be super stretched into baby's mouth but not pain one. pain is other thing like if you get cracked nippes etc so it's very impt to get proper latch on from the start!

Shuhui
Sounds like you had a good shopping trip
happy.gif
tummy is expanding rapidly now so better apply ur stretch mark creams. Initially I thought for me, pregnancy #2, tummy already so stretched, no need to apply. But mine have become very dry, in the end now got a palmers stretch mark oil to apply. I find the oil absorbs better, but the downside is that can feel rather hot if you're out in the sun!!

Hi mummies!

My edd is 1 April. Delivering at nuh. Anyone else with similar due date? My doctor was mentioning that the maternity wards are full this year, hope I can get a single bedded.

Btw, were there any good maternity shoot promos at the fair?

Lilcactus, think leaking colostrum is quite normal at this stage. In fact for my no 1. From 36 weeks, gynae told me to massage nipple with nipple cream to stimulate colostrum. I had no problems breastfeeding when baby was born.

Hi experienced mummies out there, is BH contraction a feeling like tummy being stretched to the maximum?when I feel my tummy is very hard! I always tot is my bb doing stretching .. So I m unsure if that is BH contraction? I note dwn everytime I hav this feeling in d tummy..ytd about 3 times !
sad.gif
I m v blurr ley.. my nex gynae appointment is 2 weeks away..by then I will b in my 34weeks ler.

Gng to BB fair at expo today.. ..
happy.gif

It's like squeezing the nipple from the breast towards the tip of the nipple. She told me to do it once a day and just until colostrum comes out. I delivered at 39 weeks so I don't think it stimulated my labour. But I have read that it does stimulate labour so maybe it has that effect if you do it for longer periods.

Hi Pinkbunny,

ya the lactaton consultation kept focusing on correct latch but i heard from some mummies is easier said den done! My neighbor also gave up and now fully on pumping. haha she recommend me freestyle since she using now. Haiz still in delimna between freestyle & avent duo. but i will buy online no matter for which one cos is cheaper!=p

oya wan ask mummies who BF, i saw those nursing pillow which work 2 way - now for us to sleep den later on can be used when we BF/bottle feed bb. i'm refering to those long one not the standard clip on type.
Anyone using and does it really help? now for us to sleep beta to support our tummy/back etc and future for feeding?

hi mummies, thanks for all the advises! cos i didnt experience colostrum during 1st preg.

went for my 32rd week checkup today and bb is est at 2kg now! so happy. hopefully at the rate he is growing, he will be 3kg at least when born.

I bought alot of stuff at the baby fair! Hee.. First 1000 get goody bag including nuk pacifier (not BPA free thou), MAM mum milk, vitamin samples, OCBC game piece and sponge bib, some palmer's samples etc.. Super long Q!

Also can buy march issue at $5.50 with some free samples.

I bought Mustela Dermo bath n shampoo & no rinse lotion (mustela going at 30%), Combi Rocker cum Highchair & wipes (wipes $15.90 per pack of 3, buy 2 get 1 free), Palmer's Firming Cream & stretch mark lotion, Nuk bottle ($13.90 instead of $19.90), teats & pacifier, Babysafe mattress sheet, protector & swaddle, Goo.n diapers NB and S size at Babycare festival..

I'm now in my 34th wk but still no colostrum.... getting a bit concerned. Wonder if i'll be able to breast feed my BB.

Bought MooMooKow Reusable Cloth diapers at the recent Baby Fair at Sg Expo. Has any of u mummies ever used it or some other products that are similar to it? Need some feedback on this product. Thanks lots!

I did buy e long bolster fr spring maternity.. I think it's gd coz encourage me to slp on sides.. But it takes time to find your comfort position to get used n like it.. N u can adjust e bolster to make it soft or hard bcoz it's micro beads..

Fantasy:
Yes. I used both the Avent and Freestyle.
Prefer freestyle.
My Avent broke down after less than 2 months of use. Philips refunded me for the set cos they couldn't repair or replace cos out of stock. So i bought the freestyle with the money.
Avent's suction and comfort is very highly customizable cos you get to control it n the pump will remember the settings. However, the funnels only come with 1 size and it didn't fit me. Pump until abrasion and because of the wrong size, the milk didn't pump properly, so end up with very bad engorgement which led to mastitis.

Freestyle came with 10 preset suction levels. I managed to find some level that was good for me. The funnels, I also got different sizes separately so abrasion wasn't a problem.

If you are intending to bring the pump out or to work, then Avent might be quite heavy for daily moving around.

Hi Yvonne, my friend bought moomookow, she say it's ok, but too small for newborn.. Around 2 months then can use. Actually nowadays 1 pc pamper ard 30cents, Maybe electric and water bills to wash e cloth diaper is more ex than using disposable diapers..

hi Yvonne,
i used Bumwear for #1 till she was almost one. (when her pee load was more, we used it only at home). Its great, she did not get any diaper rash all the way and since its machine washable, it is pretty convenient just that you have a load of diapers to wash daily. this time i also bot new designs and inserts for my #2 since my #1 used hers till its all very seasoned already.

Re: babyfair
had a hard time getting a carpark lot. but actually e crowd is pretty manageable. only bot Babysafe mattress, bed sheet cover and Pumpin Shields from Mumsfairy. Guess coz its my #2 hence not so crazy shopping like i did for #1! hahaha...

Hi mummies, I bought goo.n diapers ytd. Also got the goody bag.. Heehee..Q was long but luckily move quite fast.

Wanted to buy bumper mat but after some consideration..hubby tink too early to buy now. Heard frm the stall vendor, there will b another bb fair in June ley..
happy.gif

hi blue turtle,

thanks for the feedback! it did me a great help cos i finally made a decision!
i bought the freestyle today @ Robinson.
It's on offer @$699 and w my member discount voucher, is another $50 off. =)
i hope it will be a worth investment!

Hi Monica,
thanks for the feedback on the long bloster!
i saw it @ Spring maternty today but bought a similiar one at Kiddy Palace - Theraline.
hope to have a great night sleep from now on =D

Hi Ms Tan,
the bumper mat referring to those playmat on the floor one?
my hubby also thot of buying from the fair but my mum advise us to buy mattress instead (those normal low lying one)if we only plan 1 kid. haha. she said the playmat is only useful for 2-3 mth after bb started crawling den can keep the playmat liao. but mattress still can keep for future use.
haha just my mum's thought to share w u.
we din buy any.. tink is still early to decide on it so shall see after bb is born. =)

Fantasy
Me also went to robinsons to make use of the 25% discount.. I bought mostly pillow case.. Keke.. But too bad, the voucher is only limit to max purchase of $200 else can buy more..heard from the staff that the bank did send out voucher for max purchase of $500, that will be $125 discount if purchase is more than $500..

Anyway, there will be a members' sale coming up on either 13 or 14 March..

Hi Mummuys, The baby fair today in Expo was quite good much better than the one earlier this month. I bought a lot of things including the baby cot, bathtub and lots of other small things.

Fantasy
i bought the bumper mat when i had #1. It's one of my gd investment. The bb can sleep on the mat cox it's quite soft, play on the mat n read on the mat. My 2 kids love the mat. We use it for yrs. N it's much safer n durable than those alphabet mat.

Aiyah, I have the 25% discount voucher for max purchase of$500.. But no time to go robinsons..shod have asked who wants it...
I think the bumper mat is a good buy, can use for quite a while...initial stages for baby to lie on n play..then for them to crawl, subsequently to sit n play on...have helped cushioned many falls for my boy...
happy.gif

Hi,

my baby due date is also in april. Just wondering any mummies experiencing pain when standing up or walking?

I was at robinsons centre point yesterday. Most of the wipes and stuff are like wiped off the shelves. Luckily managed to get the Avent bottom Balm, even though it's not on sale. Everytime it's on sale, I will never ever get it. So too bad. Just bought a few tubes for standby. If at the next members sale i can find it, I buy more again. =D

Bumper mat
Yup yup a good investment. Becos it's one piece it's much easier to clean and more durable than the ABC ones. But very heavy!

YQ
Nope, my pain is mostly when sitting on floor or lying down (tailbone). When standing, try to spread weight evenly on both feet. When walking, try not to over extend back. Try this: stand with feet slightly apart, hands on hips with thumbs facing forward. Then slowly use fingers to push from behind to guide butt forward. The movement is like rocking the pelvis. Do it a few times gently, it should ease some lower back ache.

I just learnt this over the weekend: while swimming is a good form of exercise for us preggies, a lot of us tend to overstretch some muscles due to hyperextension. It can be dangerous cos our muscles and ligaments are more sensitive now. If you can, try to support bottom of tummy with a sponge noodle (buy the kind that has no hole in the middle). That'll help you float up more.

(Trick to know if you're swimming right - you should feel relaxed immediately and a few days after swim, not having more muscle aches)

I also bought a bumper mat so that when i bring my bb back to my home over the wkend, she can sleep there. (Dun dare to put bb sleeping beside me!)

Also I think bumper mat is very colorful, can act as a deco for my plain plain rm!

Anyway, i bought the cheaper one $99 at the previous fair...

hello mummies, wah looks like alot of u have bought stuffs at the baby fair. Me gt no time to go..hubby doesn't like crowded place. anyway, bought some stuffs at taka bb dept, some having 15-20% off, better than nothing. =)

mummies who bring kids out for shopping etc, do they feel cranky/whiny when its their nap time? i got this problem...my son rarely can "pass" his nap time quietly outside. he will gets moody, throw tantrum and request to carry then everyone has to go home ard 4pm. thought can stay outside till dinner time..sometimes abit sian but no choice coz no mood to carry on aldy. i wonder if i bring a stroller nx time, will he wans to sleep in there ornot. he doesn't like stroller since young, waste of money. haha

I also got bumper mat for #1 when she was about 7 mths old. Good investment. I bought as a set with the play yard. It has now become her personal toy store. No more space for rolling around, but can still go in to sit and play.

SG. My toddler does get super cranky when she is sleepy and doesn't get to sleep. Most of the time we will plan our day such that she gets her nap time either at home, or in the car, or if we are visiting someone, she can nap there (we just have to stay there for an hour or longer). She doesn't like the stroller since she was young, but i can make her sleep inside if required. So we never bring the stroller out, unless we are going overseas or zoo/bird park/etc.

SG: My #1 is cranky when he passes his nap time and with #2 coming, my mum says tt he is trying to gain lots of attention hence cries very easily. If I am buying stuffs for didi, I will buy for him too. He used to want me to carry but after I'm pregnant, we explain to him tt mama can no longer carry him cos mama's back pain pain.. He seems to understand and now he prefers to sit in stroller when we go out shopping.

SG,
most of our outings are planned around her nap time. I.e. we try to make it home for her nap as much as possible. She can skip her nap but that means she has to go to bed early that evening. We are pretty particular about her having enough rest and sleep. Lack of sleep = cranky kid.

I went to the fair on Friday but decided not to buy stuff till I go again on Sunday with hb. When we went there ytd afternoon - everything we wanted was OOS!!! Goon S sized diapers, Babysafe infant pillow covers etc, all gone. Sigh... moral of the story - if you want it just buy it.
But must admit that the fair was much better than the one last week.

I started getting colustrum at 6 months. Does that mean I'll have an early labour? I hope not.. hoping she comes on the 38.5 - 39th week earliest. Usually 1st kid comes around then or even at 40th week if i'm not wrong?

wow seems like a few of u having Colostrum now. I m in wk 33, still dun have...
sad.gif

LittleDd: I went to baby fair on sun morning n Goon S is already OOS! So by sat, they have already finished their stock!

SG
Last time when smaller, she would fall asleep in stroller (during the time of many naps in a day) or ergo. But I stopped using stroller at maybe about 18 months, as soon as I was confident she was ok to walk long distances. Simply cos I stay on 4th floor, no lift, so pram was VERY inconvenient for me. And she got too heavy for me to Ergo so like haru, we also try to plan outings around nap time. She can skip naps but will be super duper cranky by 6 and will resist bedtime. So we try to do everything in the morning!

But one day quite recently we thought can gungho and skip nap. She was ok but on the long train ride home, just lay on my lap and fell asleep for 20 min!

Colustrum
I think whether we have any now or not is not an indication of how our supply is going to be after we deliver, don't worry
happy.gif

blue_turtle, yah this is what i told hubby too...to leave hse earlier or after his nap...but usually he sleeps late during weekend tats why his nap time ard 3-4pm and his nap time can last from 2-3hrs which is very long. hahaha by then after dinner lor, all the shop can close shop already. sian...aiyah..very difficult to please both my son and hubby.

qiqi, good tat your #1 understand you are having backache leh...i tried telling my son so many times mummy cannot carry him, he is sometimes ok..but most of the time refuse to walk and make noise to ensure i carry him. With this rate, i hope i won't deliver early man. =(

haru, agree lack of sleep = cranky kid...very diff. to control them esp. outside..i dun wan to make a scene so most of the time go home is the option. haha.

pinkbunny...wah siong leh, 4th floor and no lift...can imagine u carrying your #1 and the stroller...i very scared go out life under service one..gt to carry all the way to another landing lift.

silvery_gal: agree with pinkbunny,i also got colustrum during my #1 pregnancy hahaha and ended up also top up with FM. =)
so no worries whether have ornot leh.

pinkbunny, u were saying your gynae ask u to admit if u are having 4 times of contraction in a hr? as in those with pain, or without? sounds so urgent and scary leh...but wat do u mean by go pass and collect $200?? hee...

pass go and collect $200: like the game monopoly la.

i also blur leh, but he said tummy will be hard like WOOD, no doubt about it. he said 'you won't mistake it for anything else one'. i should have told him 'you got too much faith in me' haha. i'm hoping for another more suretell sign like waterbag burst!!!

ya last time i put baby in bjorn then carry her and stroller, then when reach downstairs, put bjorn in letter box then baby in stroller, then repeat everything in reverse when go home.

alot of my friends' kids at age 3 have started skipping naps liao but my girl still needs la. sounds like your son does too, since he can sleep 2-3 hours! mine is max 2 hours. usually about 1.5. but now it's ok, after school i just lie down with her (NO COMPLAINTS THERE!!!!) and we both nap :D

How do we know if it's true contractions that are happening? Till now I always read that braxton hicks come and go and true contractions are more regular etc. Is there a more specific indicator of a true contraction?

Sometimes I'd feel a semi sharp pain on my womb area. Is that how braxton hicks feel like?

BH usually will go away if you change your position, or go walk around. Contractions will just get more and more intense and painful, walking or changing position will not help.

Pain is definitely not a good way to measure if it's BH or contractions. I never felt any pain from my contractions until a lot later when it's very very bad, after i was induced and a lot more dilated (> 5cm).

oic....hahaha doopid me..

eh, but hor today i keep having contraction leh. tummy hard like wood but without pain. dun scare me leh...i dun wan to have early delivery. i'm also hoping for a sign like water burst for my #1.

mummy r wei da!! nx time your ger grows up must sayang u alot wor..bring her out also so tedious...poor u.

really? can skip nap ah? if my boy can sleep 12-13hrs one shot maybe can skip lah...but he wakes up after a 10hrs of sleep, so needs a nap. yah shiok hor? can nap with #1...nx time cannot liao..
unless both having same nap time which i doubt so.

Hi Lotusmum,

ya! my colleague's mum got the $500 max voucher!
i think is based on individual spending limit ba.

Hi YQ,
Sometimes i felt pain in my tailbone when i'm sitting down.

Replies for the bumper mat:
Thanks for all your feedback!
Really seem a good investment sia.
Will consider getting one in the next bb fair (anyone know when?)
and which brand is better? i saw some from 200+ some as cheap as 60+...

Hi LittleDd,
yes goon diapers selling hot!
i went on fri afternoon(2pm) and manage to get S but M is OOS. person told me stock will come at 6 so we waited and go back ard 5. she told us stock come at 4 and OOS!
hubby's face went black and i got to pull him away.
he insisted on going back again on sat morning before they even open! (anyway i was still thinking that time to get avent duo pump or freestyle) so we went ahead.
this time he manage to get M. and he bought another 2 pack of S to "compensate" his petrol and parking.
so lesson learnt: got to go as early as possible

SG: don't worry yourself too much over the contractions. Could just be braxton hicks. If they go away after u walk or change position, it's most likely just BH. No need to panic. You only start to panic if the contractions comes and doesn't go away, and they start coming at regular intervals. Like every 10-20 mins. Anyway, don't panic lar. Panic only makes the situation worse.

Fantasy: Bumper mats you need to see what your needs are. Whether or not you need to keep them, roll them up, bring them around, and the space that you have. Mine is a parklon which I bought from some BP in the forum. The other very popular Korean brand is LG. Apparently the material is better than Parklon. These brands usu sells at above $100 per piece depending on size, design and thickness. There are cheaper ones selling at Minitoons for a fraction of the price, but usually they are smaller and thinner.
You just buy whatever fits your requirements.

The parklon and LG ones are really quite heavy. I had only moved mine like twice every since i got it 1.5 years ago. Mine is like a permanent feature in the living room now together with the play yard.

cheekyduckie: How to u clean d parklon mat? I have 1 and it has been stored inside the bag for almost 1yr plus. It's sticky and d smell quite strong.. It leaves a mark on my tiles after i put it for 10mins and hard to clean away. End up, i quickly put back into d bag.. Hub was saying it a waste of $$..

blue_turtle, yah it will go away but it comes bk very often as and when my bb starts to move. Very uncomfortable...hee anyway no cramp shld ok. thks!

Back