(2012/04) Apr 2012

silvery_gal - I have 1 lighter pram which we use to take public transport with and 1 heavier pram which we use when we are walking/exercising. Depends on what you want to use it for. Lighter pram normally has weight limit and cannot be used for heavier kids.

Ni : but if ask the confinement lady stay in the hall like not very nice le... Can't be ask her sleep w my SIL also coz I think my SIL not so nice to let her sleep together. My room don't even have place to put baby bed so I will just put a small cradle on the bed and let my baby sleep inside.

I now only taking folic acid and obimin vitamins too...scare that like u all say take the fish oil...if eat the Ming you gan you instead can?

Sunsweet: sounds scary. Moist as in a lot of discharge?

I also feel that i have a lot of discharge. i told my gynae before but he say its normal. i think i gg to tell him again and insist he do a check for me.

Sunsweet,
Pl take good care. Did gynae say what is the cause? Pl heed advice of bedrest. A good fren of mine had to bedrest in hospital all the way coz her waterbag also leak at 4mths and she had lotsa complications prior to that. She delivered her bb pre-mature at 28weeks. Not scaring you but better to take precaution.

Silvery_gal
You can request for bb to room in all the way if you stay in a single room. I also requested for that for both bb. I feel safer to have bb with me even at nite. Since I'm doing total BF, it's also easier. Re stroller, depends on your usage. Are you going to bring stroller out on your own? Then a lighter pram will be better. A lighter pram will be harder to push outdoors if wheels are small. I wld recommend Aprica if you are looking for a lighter pram, sturdy and lasting thou prices a little steep. For combi, really depends on the model. Mine is hard to push thou it's very light.

Still 3 more weeks to my detailed scan... seems so long before i get to see the lil one.

Wow! I've not visited in a while and im "lost"

Sunsweet: how can you distinguish normal discharge and leakage? Take care and rest well! =)

Silvery_Gal: Lighter pram also tends to be less stable. Must evaluate to see how often you are going to bring bb out also. a 11-12kg pram, though can use very long, once bb hits 10kg, will be a nightmare to bring up and down escalator if the lifts are crowded.
I got a MaClauren XLR which is not too heavy but yet stable enough for my trips.
If possible, maybe you can consider holding buying the pram until 6 months old. After that can get really cheap "umbrella" kind of strollers which are easily portable and foldable. Think mothercare brand going at $90+. Should be able to find even lower price ones. If spoil, den just buy new one. If bb dun want to use, at least not so heart pain also.

Sunsweet: lots of bed rest & fluid for you! Take care & rest well.

Amiang: I called 1 of the agency. I was told the current market rate is $2.2k and require a deposit of $500. They mentioned they will apply work permit for the CL. Anyway, I managed to get a CL but not through agency.

Ladies, it's the dragon year for our babies. The ones which my friends recommend are booked! For those who wants a CL, start your search now.

Sunsweet
Leaking amniotic fluid? Sounds serious! Please please do rest! Wah lucky you went to check

Silvery gal
high five! Me too, same reason why I don't want single ward! Hahahha. I had quite a long labour (contractions started at 7am plus, went to hosp at 1pm, baby only arrived at 2am next day) so I really appreciated the rest in hosp. It's only 3 days where I get to rest and baby gets pushed to me for feeding (which is very often anyway!!), and chilling. Then it's back home and omg, no more emergency call button to press for nurses to help and no time to rest! Next rest time will be... When baby is a year old? Hahahha.

stroller
Actually my combi is considered lightweight but I still did my share of grumbling while slinging it on my shoulder while ergoing #1 (and climbing up 4 storeys to my house) when she was about 1 year old. We stopped using it soon as she was happy to walk. I actually found it to be stable and easy to manouver despite the small wheels but because it's so lightweight, if I put too many things in the bag behind, the pram could topple backwards if there isn't weight of child in the stroller to balance it. Oh ya, so that also reminds me to remind mummies: don't overload your strollers lor! Very dangerous and can topple backwards. Shall I find out the model for u?

CL
We're going brave this time round and going to be CL-less. Gulp. Food will be the biggest worry so we found someone to cater confinement food for us. And a PT helper to help with housework. Hubby will try to take a month off work!

My experience with CL first time round wasn't bad, but I live in a small apartment, and um, having a stranger in ur home doing things not in the way you're used to can cause some irritation. Esp when you are having post natal blues. She would hover and stare when I was BFing or pumping and that made me so conscious! But on her last day I broke down (haha had the blues and was all emotional la) and said thanks for her help (I was so worried I couldn't manage on my own) and told her sorry if I said anything nasty unknowingly.

Remember that CL fees do not include all the angpows and the marketing costs hor. Could come up to several hundreds of even $1k cos new mummy supposed to eat all the "ho liao", plus the herbs are also not cheap.

Happy weekend everyone!

Pink : was the confinement food nice? So usually if got confinement lady hv to set aside now much in total including marketing and all?

aisuhime, i got contractions almost 2 weeks ago. I went KK clinic and they told me is normal. Unconvinced, i went to search online. It happens to some pple, but we should not really feel it. (but i felt the pain too). Anyway, the cause if it could be dehydration. at least i believe for my case, it is.

Sunsweet, please take care and have more rest.

CL
I have already booked my CL. She did #1 for me and did for my sis recently. Im sticking to her.

Aisuhime:
Confinement: set aside $2200 to 2500 for confinement lady if you engage yr own. Set aside $2000 to $2200 for an ageny recommendation plus MOM's levy. Foodwise, set aside $1000. Hongbaos on arrival and departure range from $38 onwards.. up to you.

For #1, i engage from agency amd the experience suxs. For #2, im engaging my own cl based on recommendations and can only pray for dear life that it will be a good experience.. Fingers crossed!

Hope the info helps ;)

Morning MTB, I need to attend a Malay wedding this afternoon, may I know the market rate for ang bao? Not HDB void deck, it's at the old Tang Dynasty, a guest house.

Today is gynae visit day, 14 weeks now. I do not have serious ms but can't do fish or related stuff, only like soupy stuff.

Yesterday poo poo, got blood! Freaked my HB out! I need to calm him down that I'm fine. Guess, I need to do more fruits. I drink more than 2 liters a day, typical water buffalo! Lucky that I didn't wake up at night to pee, still able to tahan till morning.

My then PISA can be removed ( 5 years ago ), I tried that once and decided it's better to carry in the backpack.

Stroller, I bought 1 before I delivered, LuckyBaby, recommended by the shop at Kaki Bukit, used it twice and sell away, too cramp for my 3.5kg girl! I went back again to settle for a Maclaren XT, all in about 7kg but is sturdy and easy to move about, can fully declined for sleeping, suitable from newborn. Later I got a Maclaren volo for light weight use, 4.5kg. Maclaren max weight is 15kg. This time, I'm eyeing on Quinny zapp extra which is suitable from newborn.

MeinMe..
AngPow: 1) depends on how close you are - $28-$68
2) location void deck - $28, each "upgrade" up $10..
3) depends on you and the no. of pax you bringing along.

Hope the info helps ;)

Corinne : abit like menses wanna come that kinda feeling...not especially painful thou

Mozzie : guess its normal then...but it was only yesterday...

Nature : Wah so all and all hv to set aside close to 3k inclusive of makan liao -.- I still haven't found any confinement lady yet thou...

Today is the best that I have sleep thru out my pregnancy! Sleep at 12 with a hot milo before bed(coz I think I was hungry) then sleep to 5,wake up pee, sleep till 7 again.... Lol... No midnight snack thank god... Btw I saw a stroller which can turn into a rocking chair at kiddy palace...looks very cool... Not buying any baby stuffs yet thou...thinking of nearing my edd then buy because scare buy too much but now is scare at that time won't be able to walk so much...I tired easily recently... -.-

Aisuhime: Yeaps. CL + food will add up to more than 3K for sure. If you just order food alone for 28 days, will already cost you ard $1.5k. If you have a CL at least you can still determine what she cooks, so can save a bit on food.

Looks like a lot of mummies getting CL here. I think standard m'sian ones do for 28days. Please confirm to avoid unhappiness ya. Cos there are some ppl who insist on doing for 40 days. But CL contract only 28days.

Cheeky : ooh icic... I think alot of ppl finding CL from here lol.. Maybe might not have enough CL for us by that time Liao...

Anyway, I check up on Internet about ginger : *Ginger reduces all symptoms that are associated with motion sickness including nausea, dizziness, vomiting, and cold sweating. Ginger has also been effective in treating the nausea and vomiting that is associated with pregnancy. It contains high levels of active substances, so even a small dosage provides beneficial effects.

Hopefully when I tell my mil, she will allow me to continue to take ginger tea... :/

pinkbunny: ya, would be good to know which model u bought... Collecting infos from mummies... more experience haha...

anyway, would like to ask if u all would attend wedding dinner 1mth+ before your EDD??? cos i have no idea how we will feel at the last stage...

Aisuhime: I have a spare CL recommended by my cuzzie-in-law. She is charging $2300. Pm me if you want her contact. ;)

Ginger: at first i took ginger tea and then my elders say better not in case bb get heavy jaundice.. I scared and never take le.. I just make sure i eat small meals throughout the entire day to avoid getting bloatedness

pinkbunny,
looks like i will be doing similar arrangement. Going CL-less (second time), will order catered confinement food and get part time helper to help a little more often. hopefully my girl will be able to get a place on the school bus so that saves me ferrying her to and from school. =)

Aisu
Mine was 3 years ago, $2k for CL cos she was local, think cheaper for malaysian ladies. Food was close to 1k I think. Angpows I think about $100. But maybe the mummies who have alrd booked their CLs can share on current prices

The food was so so only but I do know of some who are fantastic cooks. Mine didn't give me any of those dishes that were supposedly supposed to help for BM supply. But as a 1st time mum I also didn't really know there were such things till friends told me. I ended up making fish+green papaya soup on my own after she left. I think she cooked ok food but it was quite "normal" food, not confinement kind. It was only ex cos she bought better meats and fish for me.

I also had my super best sleep last night! #1 woke up early but hub entertained her for a while but she still kept coming in to talk to me and cook for me. after 2 hours of that, hubby locked me in the room and I slept till 945am!!! Wooohoo!

Oh just to share
OG also sells nursing bras! Really comfy, $9.90 only!

Hi Dink,
Thanks for the info. Are u intending to get a CL fm agency?

Hi Naturelover,
What's your bad experience with CL agency?

My experience with CL.
For my #1, she was good! Recommended fm my friend. But she has some conflict with my mom and due to misplanning she need to end her contract with me earlier cos clash with her next client delivery.

For my #2, I contacted those CL recommended in the SMH forum. End up they are all booked and one of them recommended her friend whom I engaged but find that she is not very experienced.

For this baby, I still can't decide if I want a CL or go CL less and just order post natal meals??

The problem now is I'm not sure if my in laws are ok with me having a stranger in the house moving around.... So I'm still kinda not sure how sia...I haven't talk to them about it because I scare they say it's too early to talk about this. I did discuss w my hubby thou and he seems ok... I'm staying with my in laws btw that's why...

Silvery_Gal. U sure can go wedding dinner. It's whether u want to. If it's a very close fren, i would. Cos even if i can't go, will still bao ang pow. Not so close ones, will consider lar.

Ginger Tea: yes... I heard my my MIL tt it will cause jaundice too.

Aisuhime: since u r staying with inlaws, can they help with confinement? At least get them to help with some chores, and look after bb? Food, u can consider confinement delivery.
Night care for bb, either u do urself, or ur hubby, or in laws help?

My backup plan for myself is confinement food delivery, if my MIL last minute cannot help out. Baby i will take care myself at night whichever the case. Chores, will get PT maid to do.

Cheeky : eh... They not good with confinement stuffs...sides, they will be working too...tts why I, thinking for finding those confinement lady that comes in the morning then everything done, night go home... Night look after bb I can look after myself...

Amiang: Nope. Managed to book 1 thru recommendation & has met up with her last week. Keeping my fingers crossed as heard too many horror stories abt CL. Not intending to engage my #1 CL as I feel that she is mediocre & gave me some problems after CL.

Amiang
What did you find most helpful when you had a CL around, and what do you think you can manage on your own?

For me food was the biggest issue. Found someone who did her own confinement and cooked her own confinement food and she lives near me so engaged her to cook and deliver my meals. Night time will BF and baby will bunk in with me so night feeds settled. Housework? Engage part time cleaner.

At least with #2, not so much feeling around in the dark and hopefully not so blur sotong liao so can manage ba. Just got to refresh how to bathe and burp baby hehe.

Silvery gal
Weddings, up to you lor. If it's close friend I sure will go. If not close I won't. I want to sleep early! Hehe. But does the couple know you are preggie? Some old folks mind, I don't know why. A friend had to tie a red string around her belly while attending a wedding. Not sure of the significance!

Cravings
Argh. My feet just gravitated toward mcdonalds and my mouth just said the words "mcwings meal" without going thru my brain. But has anyone tried the mcwings? So nice!

Hi MTB, my fren jus intro me to this shop at Kovan - Perfect mum. Tink tey hav some other branch at cbd area too. I find that their price is much cheaper compare w other maternity shop. Pants selling at $59.90 good for work wear. Tey do free alterations too. Ive bought 2 pants n 2 tops for just $200. I think is quite worth it. Do pop by have a look :D

Pinkbunny - Haha, we used to b close friend in sec school. Last time I will meet her once or twice yearly. I last saw her at my wedding in '09. Then seriously no contact. I dun think she knows I m preggy. So in a dilemma... Will need to think seriously.... Headache...

another recommendation for maternity wear. i remember buying 2 pairs of berms for weekend wear from tom and stephanie. i know they have a big one at west mall and city square. a few outlets around SG, not sure where else.

Amiang: overpromise and under deliver. The cl was good during the trial period but after that.. Headache.. Call the agency to counsel her, she pull up her socks and then lax again. Woke up later than me, sleep earlier than me, have long afternoon naps.. Chores not done properly, food that she cook i also know how to cook, i think i will do better! Same food every day, no variety. Stress me during bf and pumping.. After she left, i had to clear up the mess in the kitchen, it was horrible!! Complain to agency also no use de.. Just thinking of that experience just irks me.

Thats why no. 2 i decide to find own cl but still fingers crossed.. I think engaging cl is like playing russian roulette.. Depends on heng/suay.. :s

Hi Cheeky duckie,

I will be getting medela pump from usa. Can pass me the website that u order from. I am still quite torn between pump in style and free style. Let me know your thoughts pls. My PM is not working tho, haiz very forgetful during pregnancy. Cant remem my password. = P

Morning all MTB! How was ur sleep? I woke up in e middle of the night with bloatedness but was too tired to be awake to do anything...herk care and went back to sleep lol

morning Aisuhime,
i did not sleep well. could not fall asleep with a cold. and middle of the night, #1 was whining so i had to sleep in her room for a while before gg back to my own bed. but i dun feel tired, just a lil heaty from my cold. But i dun think i can take the cooling teas from the chinese medical halls so just taking lots of water. =P

my part time helper is a part time maid. =)

going to Chinatown to get my brekkie fix this morning!!

summerbliss> My opinion is PIS is too bulky to carry around. I have friend who bought PIS in the end also buy swing (2nd hand). Swing is good enough but is quantity a lot perhaps a freestyle is better as it can be use as dual and single pump and is very portable. Of course swing is a lot cheaper then freestyle.

Let me share my experience also with portable pumps. Most of my friends were latching direct under their cover whereas myself was carrying the swing pump (bought 2nd hand) walking around pumping during my last bb mummies gathering and bb was sleeping in one corner.

When I went traveling and bb was a lot bigger he will not stay under your cover to be fed. They will sometimes lift your cover too and haha you be exposed. I was in HK (not many private feeding area) at a restaurant with my friends and hubby having supper and I was pumping at the table under the cover with my freestyle(newly bought as I wanted a 2nd child and wanted a dual pump). ppl in the other table can hear the pump and they were looking over but at least I can clear my engorment, feed my bb and at same time eat and enjoy my friends company. I am not embarass but had a lot of freedom. I dont think PIS can do that as its dual pump. so I still suggest a single cum dual pump for flexibility. when you go back to work also more flexi.

Because of what I did, a lot of my mummy friends went to buy swing and pump at their desk. HAHA.

Hi MTB,
Just a check, have you all notice your fingernails & toe nails are growing v fast? Faster than before pregnant? I notice this ! As i always keep my nails short , just weeks before i trim it and this week i can see it's growing at some length already!

hi mommies,
can preggie ladies take panadol capsule? I started having a fever this morning due to my cold and its not subsiding...=(

Brand new Singapore set medela swing pump with warranty. Selling $250. MSG 96922155 to deal. Giving up as it is a gift from friends. Unused and unopened.

Silvery gal: I attended my close gal friend wedding when I was abt 34 weeks & the wedding was in KL. Gynae gave the green light & we went up on a road trip. It depends on whether u pang-dang or not. For me, I just gotta attend. Of course I can't be 1 of the sister & sat down whenever I got a chance to do so in the afternoon tea reception. As for wedding dinner, not a problem as it was a Chinese sit down dinner.

Aishuime..OH my..i just went for housewarming ytd! and attended 1 year old birthday, 1 wedding, and 2 more weddings to go..all are very close friends and relatives..so no choice~~
so u avoided all?

CorAine : ya I try to avoid and I tell my frd's I'm preggy so cannot go lor...I don't even comment on other ppl's baby because they say ur own baby will become xiao qi... And cannot carry other ppl baby also...my frd recently keep showing pictures of she going to another frd's hse and see the baby and keep sharing photos in my blackberry then I just say...oh, no comment...

Ms tan : yes I find my nails grow pretty fast! But good also can do manicure...thou in the army also cannot keep it long duhz...

Haru: did u take any nap just now?

Back