(2012/04) Apr 2012

I called the bank (HSBC) immediately.

They blocked the transactions and cancelled my card. Will issue me a new card. They said that if the transactions reflect in my next statement, inform them again.

Hacking of credit card info can be done in many ways. Yes, online purchasing is one of them. Another one is the usual swiping of our cards on the credit card machines. Hackers can 'hack' the credit card info during the transmission (we never know).

It's really hard to take precautions sometimes.

Personally, I like Itto Otto low heel (½ inch) or kitty heel shoes. Timberland and Clark are good options to consider, Nike has some nice comfy ladies-like sneaker. I heard Ecco and Geox are good choices too.

cheekyduckie - do you do any inverted stands (e.g. shoulder stands) or back bends in your prenatal yoga class? My last yoga class (which is all non-preggies, except for me), the new teacher asked us all to do the backbends and shoulder stands. While I can still do it, I was not sure if it was ok for preggies. When I asked the teacher, she seemed to think that it was ok but she is super young and definitely has never been preggie before. I googled the internet and most websites advised not to do either types of poses.

Posted on Friday, October 21, 2011 - 11:20 am:   
Hi moms, 
I hv a few items for sale. Please sms me at 91558725 if you are interested.
1) medela swing breast pump bought 14/8/2011 (warranty till aug 2012), Used barely a mth as i hv not enough milk supply.Will throw in 1/2 bottle of greenlife fenugreek capsules(increase milk supply) and 14 pieces of medela pump and save breastmilk bags. $260   
2) medela washable breast pads, very new and good condition $12
3) 4 pieces of nursing bras size roughly 36B (hv different hook sizes to adjust) selling at $6 each or $18 for all
4) 2 pieces of cotton nursing pajamas from Spring at NEX, bought at $49.90, worn less than 10 times, very good condition. Selling at $12 each or 2 for 20. Blue in color size: small
5) medela breast shields with carrying case for occassional sore nipples from BF. $12
6) quinny zapp xtra baby stroller (blue), suitable from newborn to 4 yrs old. Used less than 10 times, in brand new condition but decided to sell as hubby bought a jogging stroller from US while on business trip. $420.

Prices are slightly negotiable, but please don't quote ridiculous prices. Will accept vouchers from Fairprice, Giant, Takashimaya instead of cash. For item no.2, 3, 4 and 5, willing to exchange for baby items.

El: I join the prenatal class. Yes. There are shoulder stands, not every lesson though. But no headstands. The instructor will also use various apparatus during the class. And give us different variations to do depending on the stage of pregnancy and our different conditions.
e.g. Mummies with low lying placenta cannot do squats, mummies in 3rd tri n bb already descended cannot do downward facing down, etc. She also teaches on breathing techniques for the birth itself, and kegel exercises.

Yes. Cannot do every pose the same standard way! The instructor is trained at pre natal yoga. All the participants are preggers! There are many variations to the standard poses. You can go for 1 lesson to try it out. I go for Samantha's class.
The classes are 75 mins long. But first 15mins she will spend going round the class to find out which stage of pregnancy each mummy is in, and any special condition or problem they are facing. Then, during the practice, she will try to customize for as many as possible.

El: Ytd class was quite full. Abt 20? I didn't count. They will lock the door and stop more ppl from coming in once there no more space to fit anymore ppl. They have a few studios. So class size really depends on how big the studio is. Most of the mummies in ytd class are regulars, so they won't really require personal attention.
I think they do have lunchtime classes. If you are working around there, you can prob check them out.

Hi Mummies, hope your friday is going well. It's pouring outside so do be careful when you go out for makan.

I went for the Robinsons sale and bought the My Breastfriend pillow. It was a life saver the last time for my first one but it was on loan from my cousin and she's migrated so went to get it during the sale. Also bought a ton of baby clothes as my cousin also lent me new born clothes the last time so don't have any now.

I'm 15 weeks now and going into 16 weeks on monday. Still have MS whole day so sianzzzz.. Also very tired and then can't sleep at night.

I didn't do oscar but did the mandatory blood test today. Will be going for detailed scan on 25 Nov. Doc said it's 80% boy.
happy.gif

As this is my second baby - i won't be going for any prenatal classes or anything. First time i even went for breastfeeding classes by the Breastfeeding Mothers Support Group (a Non profit organisation) which were very very good. You can check them out here - http://www.breastfeeding.org.sg/events-corner/index.php

I highly recommend it. I breastfed my son for 2.5 years and the workshop was invaluable..

Anyone thinking of doing or done cord blood banking? Is it fully payable by baby bonus?

Those waking up at night with dreams, do you hug a pillow or something? I remembered I read that we dream because there is pressure on our heart which caused us to dream due to poor blood circulation.

Any MTB here is S size? I need to give a away some of my nursing tops as I'm more M now.

Hi~~~ The philips fair is coming, plan to "chiong" for baby stuff like sterilizer, milk bottle and considering the breast pump too.

I heard some of my friend say the medela free style is better than Avent~ Is that true?

Mel
I feel the same. And feel guilty about it... With #1 I went for pre natal yoga, the dunno what weekly class at Mt A (where hubby and I smiled lovingly at each other a lot haha), pre natal massages... Now I just want to sleep!!!

Cheekyduckie
Oh you went back to samantha! Does she remember you? She's still ever so slim and flexible?

Oh mummies I remember being told (cheekyduckie, by Samantha!) that sleeping on our left is better. Something about blood flow to baby... Er can't remember why exactly! Cheekyduckie, can ask? :p

Aiyoh today buy a few grocery items only really feel the pull in my tummy :S really better not buy heavy items anymore.

Hey someone was saying about fluctuating tummy size? Last night while lying down I had no protuding tummy at all. And now, after lunch, big tummy. Haha.

Kumiko: I started with the Avent electric dual. Noisy and heavy. And... It broke down after 2 months! I was really angry.
Got myself a Medela Free Style after that, and it's really small, compact and light! Super portable! I love it a lot.
Other than the pump, all my other stuff from philips i am satisfied. Steriliser, food steamer/blender, bottles, diaper bag, etc. All ok.
But if you need manual pump, the philips one is good lar.

Pinkbunny: Yes. I am back to Samantha! She is still good. But no lar, she doesn't remember me. It's ok. I still like her classes!
Yes yes. Sleep on left side, because the blood flows that way. Try to prop your right leg to hip width apart with bolster or pillow.
You are not going back for yoga?

REALLY? Broke in 2 months? OMG~~~

Hmmm..... Is it super expensive for the medela free style? Really can free my both hands when pumping? hahaha.... and will medela noisy? haha... sorry for so many questions~

Ms tan: I used pigeon sterilizer for standard NUK bottles for no 1. Am thinking of using NUK wide neck for no 2.

Kumiko: The Freestyle i have is really quiet compared to the older medela pumps and the Avent one lar. At least i don't get so depressed when i was pumping in the middle of the night. It's really depressing to hear hb snoring away, and the Avent pump Clucking away in the dead silence of the night.
And yes. The freestyle hands free really leave my hands free. I could change my bb's diaper while pumping, or play game on phone lor. Simple things can do lar.
My freestyle pump is US set. Bought online. Cheaper than local sets. Need to use a converter (~$2). But no local warranty.
The only problem was that all my bottles were the Avent bottles (wide neck). There's converters around, but the avent bottles quite heavy, not sure if the handsfree can hold. So I had to get a few normal neck bottles to use for the pump.

If u are really serious on breastfeeding, good to invest to in good pump. If budget is a concern, there are mummies selling their used pumps on the forum. U prob just need to get the parts to replace.

Ms Tan: Philips and Avent the same now.

Has anyone gone to those Phlilps carnival sale before? Is the savings substantial? I need to get a new steriliser as my previous 2 broke down after 1+yr of usage each. And they don't service it after the warranty expire. Hence don't think I will buy now coz warranty is only valid for 1 yr. So pls note if you are buying electric stuff.

Any feedback on the Avent bottles? The previous brown tinted bottles I got 2 yrs ago leak like nobody's business and it's so irritating. The sales person told me that the new tinted brown bottles do not leak now. Anyone has any experience using those?

Oh .i see ..thanks for the info. Wonder want to wait till christmas sale or get it now .. Hmm. How u all tink ? I heard Avent products cost much higher..

Dear Ladies> Update from the bb fair. Very small scale not worth the time to travel there is you stay far away. Nothing nice to buy too.

Odiey: Yes. The BPA free yellowish Avent bottles do leak. But I realised there's some way to tighten so that it doesn't leak. After 1.5 years of usage, I now get 1 leak every 20 tries! haha... I will just use the same bottles, change the teats can already.

The Philips carnival sale is quite messy at times. A lot of stuff on offer. Might not have what you want also. Stores like OG, Robinsons, etc, gives very good promos at times. I got like 10 milk bottles (5 big 5 small) all free, from buying the steriliser, pumps, and other chunky electrical appliance.

Ms Tan: Yes. The Avent products cost more. But I find the milk bottles very lasting! I have used for 1.5years, and they still look like new! No need to replace. I got the cheap plastic normal neck bottles for my pump, and have to replace every 2 months. Scratches very easily. So in the long run, I find the Avent bottles are value for money.

Hi Cheekieduckie
When did you get your yellowish tinted bottles? Is it the same ones as the one they are selling now? My mum could not stand the bottles and kept complaining that i got lousy bottles as the bb is screaming and she's still trying very hard to tighten it such that it doesn't leak. waste lotsa breastmilk as well as we gotta turn it over to test first... sigh.

Hi mommies.. i was at Vivo City yesterday and saw a pretty cool maternity wear shop called My Maternity House. It's a small little shop on level 2.

Their pants and skirts are really comfy and not ex! So for those who have always been coming across ex maternity wear, go check them out.. on average about $50 - $60 for a pair of pants.

They have a few tops too and some swim wear + nursing bras and such.

Spent $200+ there buying 4 bottoms! They have a 15% off 2nd piece promotion going on.

Odiey: I got mine 2 years ago. haha... I think they are still selling them @ the shops now. So should be the same. But sometimes I wonder, if the leaky one is the older version one. I can't tell. They all look the same to me. I still remember my hubby cursing like crazy whenever the bottles leak. haha... The newer colic free ones, are not 1 system. Comes with some colic free ring. Too troublesome.

Kumiko: The Medela parts are also easier to buy in stores outside compared to Avent. Avent pump parts can only buy from the "factory" in Toa Payoh.
The freestyle also easier to assemble compared to the Avent.
If you are intending to bring to office to pump, I will suggest not to get Avent. It's really quite bulky and heavy.
Freestyle runs on battery, so i just use the battery power to pump. No need bring adaptor. Can last like 3 to 4 20mins pump cycles before the battery goes flat.

Hey ladies,

Just my two cents worth. For pumps, i think Medela is better. I used the Medela Pump in Style for 2.5 years and i'm intending to use it for my second child too. It's fuss free and durable and really made for everyday intense use. I used it about 5 - 6 times everyday for about 1.5 years and then slowly tapering down to 2 times a day after 2 years.

I also heard the Amelda Lactaline is very cheap and good. And it uses a close system which means there will be no suck back of milk into the system whereas for Medela there will be if you do not know how to use it. But when i used it, there was no suck back la.

For milk bottles, i use Tommy Tipee - its very very wide neck and to me i feel the nipple looks most like the natural breast hence allowing my son to be more used to this bottle as i'm fully breastfeeding him. So far the bottles lasted me 3 years and still going strong and no leaking at all le. Maybe you all can try. But please note it is very very wide neck. And the nipple is very very wide based also.

For dreams - i read that pregnant women dream more and also remember their dreams more vividly due to the frequent waking up and not going into deep sleep - if you keep waking up, you tend to remember your dreams more. Also as its a period of big changes, these worries and anxieties and what evern other emotions manifest in your subconsious and comes out in your dreams.

With regard to lying on your left side i read that the right side has your liver hence sleeping on left side is optimum. Something along these lines.

Have a good weekend ladies.

Leo_baby ,haha ...thanks for the information~ Actually i'm planning to go down tomorrow, but nw i think i can save my time to do other things~~ haha...

Mel,
me too, still feeling nauseous...think if i go for any prenatal yoga i will puke within 10 mins. but one thing that i find makes me feel really good is when i am in the swimming pool. perhaps you can try that too?

I am planning to go to Robinsons to get the Ameda pump. i used the Avent single electric pump but i think i want to get a dual pump this time to save time. =)

I agree with Mel that the Medela Pump in Style Advanced is very good. I used for 2 years for my #2. For my #1, I used Ameda but I find that the Ameda's suction power is not as strong and could not clear my breasts. Anyway for #2 I was tbf but for #1 only partial bf.

Will continue to use the Medela for #3. It is still going strong. I think it is worth the investment esp if it helps you to breastfeed for longer. I find that #2 has a much better immunity that #1.

I tried the Medela single electric pump before. It was very noisy and not powerful enough! It was also a hassle to have to wait to pump the other side. Not something you want when you are pumping in the middle of the night and dearly want to go to bed! Avent manual pump didn't work for me.

Hi mummies,

so tempted to buy medela pump after reading your comments... I used the avent manual pump for about 2 years for my number one.... Wanted to invest in one for my first one but did not know how long i will breast feed so did not buy one..

But now, if i buy one, i will think that it's not worth it as i may use for only one child.... cos may not want to give birth anymore...

Aiya,i find myself so contradicting.

I went to the Baby Expo just now. The peg perego stroller i wanted, 2011 model is lesser by $120 at the expo compared to when I went to baby hypermart last week. But we didn't buy.

We didnt buy anything except for sleeping bras which is gng at $15 (i bought my first one at $23.00 local online shop) and my parents bought us a baby cot which can turn into junior bed from babybeannie's booth. $399, solid nyatoh wood, white colour, come with 3" mattress, delivery and installation. Totally love the design of the cot, very english.

Other than that, nothing interesting. Baby clothes also not that attractive. Will wait for the next baby fair then we will decide to get what we really really need.

You can go to look see or you can just give it a miss and wait for the next baby expo.

Will like to ask for feedback for dr brown bottle.

M awake since 4 am. So tired but can't sleep again. Had dreams too.

Thumbs up for medela pump in style (PIS). My 1st gal refuse to latch on after less than a week old. So I pump exclusively for 1.5 years w PIS . Due allergies to milk powder( I tried 10 types or more), she was on b milk till abt 8 months. Very siong, so PIS really helps as it empty every single drop from our breast.

Just want to assure new mummies that b milk will come. Just need to be patient. Some have their milk comes in early, some on 7th day, some later. It take a while to stabilise the amount. There is also ways to increase milk flow such as green papaya fish head soup, fenugreek ( GNC), Blessed thistle ( fr USA website). Need to find out what works for u cos our bodies are different.

Btw will like to ask if they sell pigeon sterilizer at expo bb sale. If yes, I will make a trip down.

Hi mummies, the Medela PISA worked very well for me too. I used it for no. 1 n 2 n in between loaned it to two mummies n it's still gg strong. It's a bit heavy compared to freestyle tho. Smthg to consider if you r gg to lug it to work on public transport.

Yanqiu, I'm seeing Eunice Chua from tmc.

Oh yeah, another thing abt breast pumps. My friend loaned me her Avent electric pump the first few weeks for no. 1. I wanted to make sure I could bf before investing in a pump myself. Altho the pumping action is fine, I found the assembling n dismantling of Avent parts more complicated (n therefore take more time) than the Medela one.

Milk bottles: the narrow neck versions of Evenflo, medela, pigeon n nuk are all compatible with the nuk teat. I found out thru trial n error cos the medela bpa-free bottles r so expensive I had to look for alternatives! The most reasonable is the Evenflo bottle: plastic but bpa-free.

can i ask where do we buy dha pills for preg ?my gyn clinic sell$70 for 1 month supply.is it expensive?

medela pls is very gd.i breastfeed for 2 years.is serving me well

Kirsten: DHA pills for Pregnancy usually available only @ Gynae. I am taking BabySmart. Ard $60 for 1 box (1 month) from my Gynae. The other one that i can find in Guardian is Neurogain. I think some mummies here are taking that.
DHA if taken wrongly can be dangerous. So better take from gynae.

Silvery_Gal: Medela got many different kinds of pumps. Single manual all the way to Dual Electric. Many many different types. Range from $50 for a manual to $988 for a dual electric Freestyle (all local sets). There are a lot of online shops selling US imported sets for about half the price. But of course, there's no local warranty for US imported sets.
You can refer to this website for prices of the full range of Medela pumps available in Singapore. Mums and Babes are the authorised sellers here. http://www.mumsandbabes.com.sg/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=7&Itemid=2
They have outlets in some shopping centres, AMK Hub, United Square, etc. You can go down to see before you decide which to buy.

oh i totally totally agree with summerbliss. NOBODY told me that so when i gave birth and i had no milk (it only came on day 5 when i was home) in the hospital, i thought i was a freak. esp since the lady in the next bed was badly engorged and was expressing lots and one of the nurses came to show me the bottle and said "see? wow she pumped so much". um did not do so much for my ego

but i still managed to BF my daughter for 16.5 months. not exclusively, but still, not bad.

oh and just to add on to summerbliss' comment: don't get too stressed up about breastfeeding ok? some mummies will have more than others. don't try to rate how good a mummy you are by the amount of milk you can provide ok? you are your child's best mummy
happy.gif

those who are starting to stock up
don't forget to get some breast pads too! for when you leak, which is very possible.

breast pumps
some mummies like electric, some like manual. personally i found the avent manual very tiring for my hand. and many many parts to wash. though i do know of friends who swear by it. i also have the medela single eletric one which was a bit noisy, and the cup was um, a bit small for me. i'm not exactly dolly parton but it wasn't very comfortable for me.

but according to alot of mummies, the rolls royce of breast pumps is the medela double electric one. is that PIS or freestyle? i'm not sure.

My bm came only after 1.5 months. Before that was pathetic 20ml each side and I have to top up with fm. I nv give up n since I was a sahm, I had all the time to try. I insist on latching before fm, I manage to bf my son for 3 yrs. purely bm after 2-3 months. So, dun be stressed out over bf. if there is a will, there is a way.

Only thing is, I'm bad at pumping. I only pump in first month coz baby under CL care. I very much prefer latching but this time, I may not be able to latch very often. I use medela single pump last time. It hurts.

Back