(2011/12) Dec 2011

Yoyosan and tiffmama, silly question here cos I've never tried avocado myself before. How to tell whether avocado is ripe or not? U mean those we buy from supermarket is not ripe?

Yi chin,

I just mesh/blend/sieve (whichever convenient), add bm or fm to make smooth consistency. No need to cook or steam. But must wait till ripe, the flesh will b soft n nice. But I recommend try just 1/4 of it first. Avocado quite jer-lat if eat too much.

Btw how long u fed yunrui wif rice cereal before u started intro the fruit/veg in?

Yi chin,

Those from supermarket super hard, not ripe. For me, I see the shell still green n hard, then must put at room temp to ripen for few days. The shell will be a bit darkened n when ripe, is soft to touch. Dun wait till too soft, by then spoil. Dun put in fridge, won't ripe. If cut open, finish by 1-2 days cos the flesh will turn brown easily. Bb can't finish, u make avocado smoothie for urself. Yummy.

Avocado v packed w nutrients, good for bb. But not all bbs like, so see our luck.

Thanks bubbles for helping to add in Gabriel in the Dec list! =)

Avocado is ripe when its very soft. I also intend to feed Gabriel avocado as one of his first foods. Undecided between brown rice cereal and avocado.

I saw today at Eu Yan Sang that they sell brown rice cereal! Anyone getting that for baby? I have gotten a tin of happy bellies brown rice cereal.

Girltradester:

Mi same as u!!!!! I oso feel like feeding avocardo first instead of rice cereals.... But so many ppl say feed cereals first... I stil in dilemma...

I hv a fren her dd born in sep.. She did buy e eu yan sang brown rice... N a few other brands of brown rice.. But she gif in stages... I can get her sequence if u wan...

Yichin:

I oso duno how to choose avocardo.. Tks for asking! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Yoyo:

Tks for ur avocardo advice!! I learn something!! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

My pd recommended rice cereal first, so I will follow bah. Planning to intro potatoes or carrots after 2-3 days. My fren showed me a chart given by her pd: rice cereal, then potatoes, then carrot, then banana, then pear and so on. Guideline only lar I thk.

Girltradester, I also got happy bellies brown rice cereal, but many mummies here say start with white rice cereal, so I bought white rice cereal to start first. Maybe finish the pack of white rice, then intro brown rice. Also saw the eu Yan sang brown rice, thk that one I will wait till 8-9 mths then introduce cos that one combined with Si Shen powder, more nutritious.

Yoyosan, thanks! I never eat avocado before. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

I feed cereal for about 1 week till she swallows quite well. Need to monitor for constipation or LS also. If ok, then I started the other food. So far tried steamed apple, steamed pear, potato, carrot and broccoli.

I also got the eu Yan sang Si Shen brown rice. But didn't try cos need to cook one. No time lah, so sticking to the rice cereal first. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Hi mummies,

I started brown rice at 4+mths.. Then carrots at 5mth.. Now potatoes.. He loves potatoes.. I mixed his brown rice and milk with 2 steamed potatoes purée.. He ate ard 160ml

Usually I'm a silent reader but I couldn't help it when I saw the list of babies coz my girl can help fill up a gap haha.

1 Dec - tigger *G*

2 Dec - wonderland *B*

4 Dec - bubbles *G* Tessa

4 Dec - KK *G* Emma .

5 Dec - tangerine *B* Ethan

6 Dec - lyn *B* Elijah

7 Dec - curry *G* Evie

9 Dec - ccs *G* Ashlyn

10 Dec - yuet sim *B* Samuel

11 Dec - girltradester *B* Gabriel

13 Dec - shirley berries star *G*

14 Dec - yi chin *G* Yun Rui

14 Dec - ejunko *B* Lucas

14 Dec - enivi *B*

14 Dec - SZ *B* Zachery

16 Dec - tiffmama *G*

17 Dec - lay leng *B* Ethan

22 Dec - Sqin *B* Shaun

23 Dec - yoyosan *G* Charlotte

23 Dec - annie *B* Josh

23 Dec - jas55 *B*

28 Dec - shirley 11 *B*

31 Dec - cookie monster *G*

And I also want to thank all the mommies here coz I'm using this thread as a guide to see if my girl is on the right track! :D

Hi all mummies, I am also a silent reader and decided to join the fun to fill up this list [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

1 Dec - tigger *G*

2 Dec - wonderland *B*

4 Dec - KK *G* Emma .

6 Dec - lyn *B* Elijah

7 Dec - curry *G* Evie

9 Dec - ccs *G* Ashlyn

14 Dec - enivi *B*

14 Dec - SZ *B* Zachery

16 Dec - tiffmama *G*

20 Dec - Echo *G* Yu Fan

22 Dec - Sqin *B* Shaun

23 Dec - annie *B* Josh

23 Dec - jas55 *B*

28 Dec - shirley 11 *B*

By the way, my baby just turns 5 months, so I am thinking to wait until 6 months only start to introduce solid to her. Already bought a tin of cerelac rice cereal. So want to ask those who started the rice cereal, can I add 1 or 2 tsp into her bottle of EBM, or I should make it as a paste to feed her using spoon?

9 June - 2nd gathering @ my place in punggol.

I have already sent out the FB invites, for those didn't recv'd, most likely I did not have your FB name in my FB. If you like to join, kindly PM me. Thanks.

Hi mommies, I am doing the "appearing" act again.. A quick one while I take a break..

Tiffmama, I am using Similac, but mine is from USA, so there is no segregation of stages, just 1 stage -- birth to 12mths.

RE: Avocado

I love Avocado but am super bad with feeding this for my #1.. I was told to buy the green ones and wait until ripe but a few days after I waited, it was still hard as rock and I cut open, it was already brown veins running inside. I bought the dark ones before, they are ripe but I can't keep for too long. I ended up not being able to give my boy and he ended up not liking it.

I want to try again, but haven had the courage.

SQin, The chart is by KKH and Nestle right?

My Pediatrician told me there are some changes to the guidelines, you might want to find out from your PD what is the new guidelines.

Welcome Echo. Yes, tigger88 is right on feeding using spoon. If you find easier to add cereal into the milk instead of milk to the cereal until desired consistency, you may like to invest in the Pigeon feeding bottle that comes with a feeding spoon. My one lazy gf strongly recommended me and say it's very very good. I bought the small bottle, less mess, but cleaning the tubing is important cos you do not want any residues trapped inside and get pushed out on the next feeding.

Ok, new topic..

How many experienced mom remember when do we stop sterilizing our babies bottles/ teats/ pacifier/ spoons/ bowls/ etc etc..? Kee-chew!

bubbles, you going HK too? I will be going this Sat with my girl frens. Planning to stop expressing by this friday (hopefully). Else gotta bring along the manual pump to express while holidaying.

Just to add on to the list

1 Dec - tigger *G*

2 Dec - wonderland *B*

4 Dec - KK *G* Emma .

6 Dec - lyn *B* Elijah

7 Dec - curry *G* Evie

9 Dec - ccs *G* Ashlyn

14 Dec - enivi *B*

14 Dec - SZ *B* Zachery

16 Dec - tiffmama *G*

20 Dec - Echo *G* Yu Fan

20 Dec - wawonie *G* Aliya

22 Dec - Sqin *B* Shaun

23 Dec - annie *B* Josh

23 Dec - jas55 *B*

28 Dec - shirley 11 *B*

Hi Tigger88 and KK, point noted, thanks for the advice. Hehe, feel so excited to intro solid to my gal. I think her expression must be very funny. So tempted to start now as I can't wait to see her funny expression. But she is around 8.3 kg at 5 months, though she drinks only ~120 mL every 2-3 hourly on total breast milk. I am afraid if I introduce too early, her weight gain is even faster and end up to become a Fei Mei. Haha.

Hi Wawonie, your gal has same bd as my gal [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Echo,

Wow, such good weight. But carrying her must be tiring for u.

Tigger,

Mummy of 4, who's looking after ur precious when u go holiday?

Kk,

Now I dun sterilize the bowl or spoon. Just wash n go. The most sometime just rinse wif hot water.

Hi! I am checking in again..

Just to let you know that this Thu on, for 4 days, Takashimya will have additional 10%off for card holders. What I strongly recommend new mommies to buy is the 0.4L Tiger food jar selling at $39. I am not sure if there will be an additional 10% off agan, but $39 is worth it. I got mine 3 years ago from Isetan at the same price, looking at the inflation rate, and yet this product's price has not inflate.

I am eying on the Endo 1.8L Thermal Magic Cooker that comes with the 7L Magic Cooker, which I do not need. Asked my helper just now if she want to share with me, but she is not interested [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

yoyosan,

my DH, my dad, my in laws and my helper will help take care of the kids while I am away. Need a break badly to recharge. Have been sick for the past 2 weeks due to lack of sleep and bad weather.

Yi Chin,

I read about the balloting at BPPS last year. Ya lor, better do PV to have one more chance. Must be more KS, no choice!

KK, sounds hard to choose the correct stage of ripeness for avocado. Btw, seems like ntuc doesn't sell avocado leh, need to go cold storage is it?

I wanted to stop sterilising #1's bottles when she hit 18 months. Then #2 came along and I thought, since I'm using the steriliser for the baby's bottles, might as well throw #1's bottles in as well. So continued to sterilise #1's bottles till she started drinking from cup recently. Same for #2, since I'm sterilising #3's bottles, I throw #2's bottles in together. But I don't sterilise the spoon and bowl for them.

Tigger, ur supply dropping or you've decided to just stop bf?

Enjoy ur trip! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

I remember during my son's time, many mom bought fresh fruits incl avocado from a wholesaler. I forgot the name, could it be Hupco?

Yoyosan, I go search again this weekend. If not, have to try at giant. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Haha, yalor, Yoyosan, she is sooo heavy, super tiring to carry her and she doesn't like to sit in stroller for long hour, my husband and I need to take turn to carry her if we go out.

Just received a free tin of Similac powder last night. Wow, I didn't expect that it was hand delivered to my doorstep. Haha. Told them tat I am still breastfeeding but they insist to give. Haha.

Echo,

For 6-12mths powder, they send via courier. Subsequent growing up milk they only send sachets via post. Hook u on n u be a customer for life. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Ur bm v power la! Eat wat good food? Share share...

Yi chin,

Ur office there got cold storage right? Shd hv.

Those who recently started rice cereal, how many times a day do u give? I'm now feeding 1 tablespoon, 3 times a day. After eating cereal, he'll only latch for 10min or less. Scared my milk supply will drop even more like that.

Tangerine: I'm also giving the same amount of cereal as you are. Eventually hope to move his meal times to 3 times a day (breakfast, lunch and dinner) plus one or two milk feeds at night.

Yoyosan, I don have any special diet ler. I eat very little meat, mostly vege, fish and a lot of fruits.

But I eat quite a lot of diary products, like cheese, milk, yogurt. I am very small size, afraid bb too small like me so I super kiasu thinking to increase calcium intake so tat she can grow taller. (End up she grow fatter, haha) Oh, and during my confinement, my mum prepared 2 half boiled eggs for me every morning. I told her later too high cholesterol, she said I need a lot of protein. I don't take 2 eggs everyday now, but still take eggs maybe 3, 4 times a week. Haha, maybe all these make my protein intake vy high.

Tangerine,

I started on sat, still 1 tsp, once a day.

Bb's main intake shd still be milk till at least 1yo. Solids just a part of training them how to eat n swallow, complementing some lacking nutrients in our bm, like iron.

Echo,

Somehow u r eating right, n bb is absorbing well. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

But of course, if bb milk intake drop, cos eating more solids, when they r able to take other solids type, be sure to include calcium high foods like cheese, yoghurt etc.

Yi Chin,

I decided to stop bf earlier. My baby doesn't want to latch after 3 months so I was expressing out. All my kids stop latching around 3-4 months old once they are used to bottle feeding. My 3 older kids are on full BM until at least 8 months old but my youngest one is on partial BM and FM as this time I go easy on expressing. Dun want to stress myself and also want to spend more time with my kids instead of doing 3-4hrly pumping.

Echo,

I also received the free tin of Similac step 2 from courier last night. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

bubbles,

excellent effort! thank you!

yichin,

wow! clap clap for yunrui!

all mummies,

i don't think we hv to b worried if our babies r much younger than the rest born in 2011... coz ME is a dec baby too, 5 dec. hehe! same birthday as tangerine's ethan! now also hao hao de yi ge ren... not slower, better still, i'm younger than all my friends in the same year.. LOL!

re: first solids,

my colleague advised me to give baby all the bad tasting food first! like spinach, broccoli etc.. after that then give sweet stuff like apples n pears etc... so that baby will not refuse vege coz they r not sweet.. just a guideline to share w u all..

KK,

i only sterilise everything once day ever since she was 3 months old leh.. hehee.. lazy la..

ask u all hor,

will rice ceral cause phlegm?

my evie's cough n phlegm like come back leh.. sibeh sian loh... at night waking up by her own cough.. zhen de hen kelian..

Echo,

Even though they were born on the same day, my girl is way smaller than yours. her weight at last month's check up was only 5.9kg. but i'm not really concern cos she was born 2.25kg and steadily putting on weight ever since.. i'm exclusively bf her since not working mah... her next injection is next month, going for 6-in-1. anxious to know her growth..

i don't think being the youngest in class make them slower or less knowledgeable.. it all depends on themselves at learning right... so for me i think i will let my girl join the 2011 batch.. anyway don't wanna fight for place in school with the dragon babies.

my gril is 7.3kg now, during last check up nurse said her weight is 90% which means among 100 babies at her age, she is fatter than 90 babies and only 10 babies are fatter than her. hahaha... i am not worried as long as she is not overweight then can le...

I agreee with Wawonie, i will let my girl join the 2011 batch too to avoid the crowd..

Curry,

Me also born in Dec. *hi five*

My gal's 2 days after my bday. Purposely, so I can enjoy my bday first. Lol.

Wawonie, ma li,

Regardless, our children will always be wif the 2011 batch. They can't go n join the dragon bbs.

Tangerine,

Give them a ring. Tell them u wan sample. Will song shang men. Mine just did n I just called last week. V fast.

Curry,

Went back to see the chart, u also 2 days later hv E. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Hello mummies!! I am appearing again. Lol. Thank u so much for adding me to the list.

I saw tigger has 4kids!! I really no courage to deliver another one. Age catching up la, financially very strainful too, health not good etc etc..but having 4 kids is my dream though. Keke!

Will try to log in here as much as I can. This group is fun.Take care!

1 Dec - tigger *G*

2 Dec - wonderland *B*

4 Dec - KK *G* Emma .

6 Dec - lyn *B* Elijah

7 Dec - curry *G* Evie

9 Dec - ccs *G* Ashlyn

14 Dec - enivi *B*

14 Dec - SZ *B* Zachery

16 Dec - tiffmama *G*

19 Dec - poseidon_gal *B* Keyan

20 Dec - Echo *G* Yu Fan

22 Dec - Sqin *B* Shaun

23 Dec - annie *B* Josh

23 Dec - jas55 *B*

28 Dec - shirley 11 *B*

hee realise my ds can fill up one of the missing days..

yoyosan,

yeah, can't agree more.. hahaha..your girl is one day younger than my girl.

I saw u started to introduce solid food for your gal, what solid food is that?which brand?

Tangerine,

just give them a call, they will have the sample song shang men for you... :)

1 Dec - tigger *G*

2 Dec - wonderland *B*

4 Dec - KK *G* Emma .

6 Dec - lyn *B* Elijah

7 Dec - curry *G* Evie

9 Dec - ccs *G* Ashlyn

14 Dec - enivi *B*

14 Dec - SZ *B* Zachery

16 Dec - tiffmama *G*

20 Dec - Echo *G* Yu Fan

22 Dec - Sqin *B* Shaun

22 Dec - Ma Li *G* ZiYan

23 Dec - annie *B* Josh

23 Dec - jas55 *B*

28 Dec - shirley 11 *B*

Hi mummies! I have been a silent reader but would love to join the group and learn from all of you [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

1 Dec - tigger *G*

2 Dec - wonderland *B*

4 Dec - KK *G* Emma .

6 Dec - lyn *B* Elijah

7 Dec - curry *G* Evie

9 Dec - ccs *G* Ashlyn

14 Dec - enivi *B*

14 Dec - SZ *B* Zachery

16 Dec - tiffmama *G*

20 Dec - Echo *G* Yu Fan

22 Dec - Sqin *B* Shaun

22 Dec - Ma Li *G* ZiYan

23 Dec - annie *B* Josh

23 Dec - jas55 *B*

25 Dec - grace11 *B* Caleb

28 Dec - shirley 11 *B*

Hi grace, finally a Christmas baby!!

So interesting. This list prompts all the mummies to "come out of the closet"! Soon we're gg to fill up all the dates. Not many left! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Tangerine, u r rite. The list is giving our bbs and ourselves more friends! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Welcome to all the "silent" mommies. Am sure there r more around. Dun shy, join us, we dun bite. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Ma li,

I gave solids after pd told me to go ahead. She actually told me to start at 4.5mths but I waited till recently. Gave rice cereal, brand is nestle cerelac. Took samples, lots!, from pd clinic so use it to see her tongue reflex. No pt buy big tin then cannot finish. But once she takes better, will go for bellamy or healthy times (organic brands that my elder one took before).

Back