(2011/12) Dec 2011

carrier

yes, I quite like Manduca. Used to have a Baby Bjorn active, but cannot use after #1 gets heavy, but my hubby likes Bjorn, coz' just a few clicks n that's it. I also have another brand, which is from usa - lilybebe, not bad too, just that not as comfy as manduca.

Solids

Yesterday I finally started potato purree for my boy, I also started the rice porridge from bellamy, he doesn't seem to like it as compare to rice cereal. Still 1 feed per day, even after his solid, he still drink his milk 3hrly...

SAHM

Tell me about it, I'm jobless for closed to 9yrs, from SAHW to SAHM... sometimes the stress level is higher than working. So online shopping & reading is my ways of relieve stress.

Goat formula milk

I'm thinking of switching from cow FM to goat FM. Anyone ever try before? Can I just switch directly or must I mixed 2 formula n slowly transit over?

carrier: I like Manduca too, find it quite comfortable. Doesn't give me a backache or shoulder ache carrying my 8 plus kg boy. Have Baby Bjorn too, which was comfortable when my boy was lighter, once he passed 6 kg mark, using it gave me aches. So invested in Manduca.

Annie: agree that SAHM stress level can at times be higher than working. Reading is also my stress reliever, usually read in afternoons while I sit next to my boy in his playpen.

Hi annie, I switched my girl's milk before. PD advised to change slowly. Eg, if baby usually has 5 feeds per day, start with 4 feeds old milk and 1 feed new milk. Next day 3 feeds old milk and 2 feeds new milk and so on. But for my girl, the change was from HA to normal milk, same brand, so I guess naturally she would have lesser reaction to it. Yours seems a bit more drastic change, so you might want to go even slower.

Carriers: My girl has never really liked carriers so I'm wondering if anyone has any good tips to help her get used to it? Thinking of trying this weekend.

girltradester, my bb sleeps on pillow since 2nd month onward, but I bought a flat pillow which is claimed can prevent SIDS.

Shirley, maybe you can try hand express? If you have a suitable container (like a bowl? as I think aiming the milk into the bottle will be quite challenging :p)then you can transfer to the bottle after expressing. Otherwise if you forgot to bring the bottles also, you can just express and dump the milk to prevent engorgement.

Annie, is it complicated to strap bb onto the manduca? I researched on manduca last night and am tempted to go get one. Right now im using Bjorn (not sure synergy or active) borrowed from my friend. I liked to let bb face outwards cos i thought he likes it; better than having to turn his head on either side. I did notice that bjorn anchors bb on his crotch and leaves marks on his thighs. Not to mention i do get backaches after some time. Can it really carry up to 20kg comfortably?

Girltradester: you can go to shop Baby Sling and Carriers at Square 2 above novena mrt to try the carrier with yr baby before u decide to buy. Bought mine there and had help to learn how to put baby in and take him out.

CCS

thanks for the tips of transit over the formula.

girltradester

No, its actually very easy after you clip the waist strap. Initially I did it sitting down position, now I can do it easily even I'm standing up. A Jan mummy even BF her BB in manduca, of course she practice @ home before she do it outside. My bjorn give me back ache once he hits 10kg.. even I can carry him, the most is 1-2hrs. Surprising my #1 don't really enjoy facing out for more than 1/2hr. Over stimulating for him.

I have a Baby Bjorn but having mixed feelings about using it. Bb likes to face forward but not sure how that will affect his spine. Also, as girltradester mentioned, it anchors on his crotch, wonder if it is uncomfortable for him...

Annie: I have been giving my boy mixture of BM and goat FM since birth. I really like the goat FM as I find it closer in consistency and makeup to BM. As for switching formulas, a gradual change is recommended.

Thanks mommies for feedback. Me now also shower her 2x a day. Sweaty sticky bb. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Annie,

Y change to goat fm?

yoyosan

worry of the cow milk allergy will affects my #2 as #1 was tested by blood test then we know about it. Partly I saw my friend's girl on goat milk, seems v. rosy, healthy n tall.

Help!! My girl woke up every hour last night!! She used to be able to sleep from 10pm to at least 6am, but last night was the first time she was like that! And usually if she needs a feed in the middle of the night, after that can just put her on bed and pat to sleep, but last night she refused and wanted me to carry her to sleep. I hope it's not the start of any sleep regression thingy.

same same, usually bb can sleep thru with only 1 nite feed. last 3 nites,every 2 hr wake... i was sleep deprived.

from last week she started rejecting cereal... but she welcomes fruit puree. every fri she will constipate till sun... then we gv her meds and she will poo. poor gal!

zanissa, my friend said it could be coz she's teething. Your girl's teeth can see already? Mine can see the bottom 2. Crossing my fingers that she'll be cooperative tonight.

Anyway to update about the carrier, my girl actually slept almost 2hrs in the ergo carrier today! And stayed in there for the whole 3hrs that we were shopping! She protested a bit when we were putting her in, but once we started walking she started kaypoh-ing and stopped fussing. And she slept even when my hubby carried her which is quite surprising coz nowadays she's very selective about who carries her when she wants to sleep, and usually it's either me or my mom. Yayy now I can sell of the rest of my carriers! Think got at least 4!

zanissa, ccs,

my baby wakes up almost every hour last week too! i think mine is due to growth spurts! her timing was rather standard over the last few weeks, sleeps at 9 then wakes up at 2 then 6. after this growth spurt episode, her timing goes hay wire! =_____=

i seldom use carrier leh.. still sticking to my trusty pupsik pouch. hehee..

normally my girl will ask for milk twice at night (didn't check the clock). for the past 2 days she cried for milk for 3 times! if i were to stop breastfeeding i'd need to prepare FM in the middle of the night the thought of it already scared me.

My ger bite me yesterday. Think she start teething ... -_-"

not sure. what's your facebook nick? Mine is "chwee hah shirley"

I see many Dec baby can already sit up. My girl still cannot sit up. Hope is fine.

Curry, yup added! I'm Claire!

Shirley, my girl also flipped at 5.5mths only, we think it's coz her head is too heavy. Hee. But even now, her flips are not that spectacular. Her hand still gets stuck and we have to help her a bit. And she still doesn't know how to flip back. Now she also can't sit on her own yet, need support like a high chair or a corner of a sofa.

Last night was slightly better. She slept from 1030pm to 330am before getting up for milk. But after that she was in and out of sleep and I had to get up a few times to stuff the pacifier back. I think she also woke up coz she wriggle wriggle wriggle until she turned 90 degrees and kok her head on her cot railings. Time to bring out the bumper!

My mom just msged me to say she had to chut all pattern to make my girl sleep today, but she still fussed for half an hour before sleeping. Hope this fussy period won't last too long!

Ask mommies,

- Do u feed bb solids while carrying on ur lap, or on high chair/ bumbo?

- Do u hv to give bb toys to play whilst feeding to be able to feed peacefully?

yoyosan

Previously he was fed in the stroller, but now I let him sit on high chair after my baby set is installed, still required to stuff a thin cushion over to support him. I give him something to hold to keep his little fingers occupied, else he will keep wanted to touch the feeding spoon/bowl.

Hi gals! My mum feeds bb in walker whereas we feed in bumbo or I carry and hub feed. She woke to play at midnite last nite! Rolled all over our bed!! Hahaha!! Faints!! She can't sit up without being supported and really doesn't fancy sitting. Loves standing with support and playing jump - which means a very tired mummy with tired arms! One white spot in gum- no sure if growing teeth. How do you all feed water? Spoon or bottle? My colleagues say she must hv constipated due to me not giving her water on weekends :p I tot breast milk enuf?

Yoyosan: I feed in high chair. Used to do it in the rocker but realised high chair is less messy cos at least he is covered from chest down. Don't really need to give toy or anything cos my boy eats pretty fast. Usually less than 5min gao dim liao. Like annie, just got to watch his hands and keep them away from the spoon or cup.

Zanissa: I've been giving water everyday lately cos his poop very dry. Also perspires and drools so much so think need water. I'll put abt 40-50ml of water in the bottle and see how much he wants to drink. Oh I tried using a sippy cup but dunno how it works leh. Water doesn't seem to come out! Is bb supposed to suck like bottle?

Yoyosan: We feed in high chair. No toys, baby ignores everything (except camera) when he sees the bowl lol.

zanissa: When bb reaches 6 month and has been eating cereal and/or other food - can give bb 1oz to 2oz of water.

Waking up:

My bb also wakes up every hourly last week, for a few days, not sure why, but now back to normal.

Mommies:

For bb who wakes up "habitually" every night, can try Wake to Sleep method. Together with lesser nap time + increases activity time, bb should be sleeping through the night very soon. JIayou!

Been feeding in high chair. Have been teaching baby to put hands on lap during meals. At the beginning needed to hold his hands down. Now his hands are down most of the time. He is quite used to sitting in high chair as we put him there during our meal times (before he started on solids).

Tangerine: been using sippy cup to feed water during meals. My problem is he sucks too much and water ends up on bib. For cup I have water trickles out when I turn it upside down.

Used to feed my girls in high chair, but the belt spoilt already and yunrui still can't sit up firmly, so i'm feeding her in the walker.

Yuet sim, saw ur photo of sameul on the mcdonald high chair, very good sitting balance! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Tangerine, u need to tilt the cup to get water to flow out. Cannot suck in upright position cos not straw cup.

Yoyosan, I feed baby in the rocker as I havent got the chance to buy a high chair yet. I need to distract him with the Disney channel at times.

Mummies, do you n must we sterilize all baby's bowls n spoons after each use? Not sure if they can be sterilized, so I didn't do it at all.

Hi all, has anyone started using the tricycle with parent handle? Thinking of getting one for my mom to bring her walk walk around the neighborhood in the day. Stroller is too hot la.

ladies, have created a FB page @ https://www.facebook.com/groups/dec2011mums/

pls add yourselves! its quite hard to see who's who from the FB adds since we go by nicknames here ;) thought this would help!

- i dont sterilise bowls and spoons, only pump parts and bottles and teats

- agree stroller is v hot! somemore we use maxi cosi car seat with travel system - bb always sweats out a patch! but bb too young for tricycle.

- thanks for your advice to feed water using sippy cup! any recommended brands?

Snowy: I don't sterilise bowls, spoon and sippy cup. Only bottles are sterilised. So far okay, baby seems fine with just wash and dry for his utensils.

Hmm my girl rejected her cereals on the third day. Can we start on veg now? Or do we need to give cereals only until she gets used to it or something? Thinking of carrots and pumpkin.

Yi chin/yuet sim: I tried the sippy cup myself and have to suck quite hard to get the water. What brand are u using? Mine's a Tommee tippee.

Snow: I also don't sterilise everything. So far ok. Think as baby gets more active and reaches for everything, it's impossible to keep everything sterile. As long as we do basic cleaning, it shd be good enough.

Ccs: what kind of tricycle? Any link to see a pic? I read that we don't neccesarily have to start with cereal as first foods. In fact it's not much in terms of nutrients, more of an easy to digest food for bb to practise eating. How about trying avocado? It's supposed to be a good first food, very nutritious, not known to cause allergies and easy to prepare. Can read up more on what foods to give here: http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/

Mummies, where did you rent the jumperoo from? Take how long for the company to reply cos I tried to contact one but it has been almost a week n still no reply from them. What kind of high chair is your baby using?

Tangerine: using Phillips Avent sippy cup. Can try to loosen lid a little see whether it helps.

Snowy: we bought a chicco high chair fr robinsons during sale. Good thing is it has 5 point harness and adjustable incline/height. Not so good: it can get quite hot sitting in chair because of the material.

Snowyotaru, I rented jumperoo from Toy Rental World. I emailed them in morn (coz I wanted to pay cash, otherwise can order online with credit card), they delivered it in evening same day.

I use ikea high chair with a small pillow as backing. Easy to clean. And I want bb to get used to it since most eateries outside use ikea high chair.

I dun sterilize food utensils. Only milk bottles.

Ccs, I was tempted to order that tricycle too but think bb still too young for that now? Hb sure niam me if I buy now.

Tangerine: I just realised today that I fit one of parts wrongly on sippy cup. Now it doesn't leak when I turn it upside down and baby has to suck harder to get water out =) Sigh this is what happens when I dismantled to wash without paying attention to how it was assembled.

Morning everyone!

usaginoko, my friend also got a tricycle when his baby was about 6mths old. He used a big pillow and put across the front of her so she was supported. And the trike that I ordered got seat belts, so that should help too. And based on my a bit of sourcing around, most normal trikes are about $80, and don't look as nice (it's all about aesthetics haha). This little tikes trike is also the cheapest I've seen so far. Another website selling for $169! Anyway the trike should be coming tonight. I try to take photo and post on fb! Eh have I added you? Here all using nicks so I'm still trying to figure out who's who.

Regarding high chair, I'm also using ikea's white high chair. Bought 2 cushions (which is actually made for the chair) and put one vertical one horizontal. That way she won't knock her head on the back of the chair. Get the tray also, very useful.

ccs, my hb not keen on tricycle now. We will buy later when she is older n dun need pillow to support. I like the Little Tikes tricycle on SMH BP too.

Can post the pic on FB Group? Then all members can see n discuss there too [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

I used to put the ikea cushion for high chair. But now tat she can sit unassisted I kept it away. Small pillow at the back makes it more comfortable to sit. We put a toy on the tray for her to play while we eat. Toy is attached to links so it won't drop onto the floor.

usaginoko, dunno how long the sale is going to be coz apparently it's coz of GSS then they got such a good price. Hee buy first, think later! Ok will try to post pics tonight, if my girl is cooperative haha.

Later lunch time I'm rushing back and going to let my girl try sweet potato. She's still refusing the cereal, clamping her mouth shut. It's not the issue with the spoon coz she takes it readily when we feed her water. Hopefully she'll take to the sweet potato more easily.

GSS price ah? Very tempting! Shall try psycho hb tonite....

My girl refused rice cereal too. Clamped mouth n cried. But she readily opens her mouth for pumpkin, carrot & sweet potato [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Ask mommies,

Did someone ever mention her little darling starts the day at 5am? Can't rem who now, but what's the outcome now? Solved?

Ejunko,

Wats wake to sleep? Is it recommend to use for middle of nite milk feed? Or more for just waking up for waking up type.

Back