(2011/09) Sep 2011

Is prenatal class really useful? My hubby was saying we've already hired a confinement nanny to teach us how to take care of baby, so may not be necessary. I remember some MTBs mentioned about learning to breathe from the class etc. I'm not sure whether to join as well.

cold drinks

i dun really know for sure how much effect can cold drinks affect pregnancy but one thing to be sure is tat too much might cause bb to have weak digestive system when out.. my #1 got very jia liat reflux n digestive system, n was told by my sensei who tuina my boy tat i had too much cold drinks during my pregnancy to cause him like tis.. itz a torture taking care of him becoz he regurgitate after every feed and some feed he just merlion out.. tis went on till he hit 1 yr old... maybe becoz of my smooth pregnancy tatz y i took for granted n just anyhow eat n drink..

ellysia

ya, after tat i got alot of loose skin too.. so sad.. couldnt get rid of them n all my stretch marks hidden beneath my hugh tummy n only after delivery i relise i got them, they r mostly on my tights... T.T

oh dear.. i have been drinking cold drinks for this P. Previously i was very discliplined but dun noe why this P, I am so relaxed and also keep eating fast food. See rice and veggy already got no appetite.

its like a duty to go, yet he reasoned that all the internet reading and sharing of experience from frens family etc. is good enough . esp advice from our gynae.

the cold drinks i have been taking is really alot.. like sometime can take 2-3 cans of coke a day.. n coke is definitely like a daily must.. :p anyway i suffer after tat la.. i m sure no one is so crazy like me la..

maybe tis explain y he couldnt self soothe to sleep despite wat babyplus claim to benefit him, how to get to sleep when he is tormented by GERD? but after he outgrown from GERD he can self soothe n slept by his own..

gilera: i feel that if budget allows, its quite a good experience to go though agree that not necessary at all. To be honest, we didnt practise what we learnt in class but we didnt regret it.

Of course when gg for prenatal class, the best is to practise the exercises at home with your hubby. There is one which invovle your hubby to hold u when exercising. Then there is also "bonding exercise" where u sit behind ur hubby then while the class teacher go through some story telling, asking mummies to imagine and do, sometimes bb will kick and daddy can feel at the back. Its quite bonding although mine probably sleeping cos no reaction. haha.

The best i feel that both me and hubby took away was how to bath baby. In fact when my girl was born, i was so afraid of holding her but my hubby just held her and we bath her together. He likes the "football hold".

p3, the swimsuit costs 69.90. Just quote the member number (I don't have it on hand, its at home and will tell u again) and u get 15% off.

sychosis

thks... nvm.. i can go into the fb group to check.. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

My gynae says it will be such a torture if we can't drink cold water in singapore's weather!! haha...but i always ask myself how wld the cold drink really affect the baby? cos i believe by the time the cold drink reach our stomach, it'll not be cold anymore..and what goes to the baby would have pass thru our ciculatory and blood stream...thus also wld't be cold anymore le...unless you say our "cold" stomach" might be in contact with the placenta which will cause the baby to be cold?? Someone pls explain to me......

true.. maybe for my case is the ingredient of the stupid coke ba..

in term of cold drinks affecting the baby is told by my sensei, in chinese medical perspective towards asian's body if u r a believer of yin and yang circulation in human body... anyway will let u know is there a difference after i deliver tis baby becoz i have been controlling myself from overtaking too much cold drinks especially coke.. If #2 turn out to be different then I would say there's some truth towards wat she say.. LOL!!! so for now, i cant tell whether it does or not affect the baby digestive system after wat u have mention.. hahahhaha... sound logical to me oso.. hehe

BabyCupid: Wow! 1 boy and 1 gal..HAPPINESS!

I'm opposite. My #1 is a gal..and she's learning to say Mei Mei and Di Di..since gender is still unknown. When I heard her say in her sweet voice, "Mei Mei"...sooo sweet...

re cold drinks: I just had my coke..kekee

woofie: so cute of ur gal.. learning didi/meimei now..

cold drinks: i try to minimise cold drinks.. so far, no gassy drinks..

hope all mummies had an enjoyable dinner..

Went to tanjong pagar Spring maternity after work today, bou 4 tops n 1 3/4 pants total $100.00 . Didn't mgt to buy d nursing bar as they left mostly small size.The sale will be on till 15/4.

Softdrink,

Me too everyday must drink after lunch. For my #1 I totally stop drinking when expecting but don't why I can't resist myself now.

Sychosis,

Did u get the 2 pcs swim suit? Will go down this weekend to vivo to buy the swim suit as I just got a $5 voucher from spring maternity.

Yes coke indeed has ingredients which r bad even for non preg people . Experiment done before by putting a baby tooth or something like that in the bottle for Some time. the tooth actually dissolved in the coke. Imagine that in our system.

Sry gals.

@JoJo: sorry, where is this Spring fair going on? I'm just working at MND and will be keen to pop in to take a look. Are the tops casual or smart enough for work? [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Hope all you mummies had a good day. I was busy all the at until 8 clearing work like mad, paying penance for my leave.. Haha.

Friday tmr, how I wish time would pass faster so tha I can see baby again in 2 weeks.. Haha

Thanks JoJo! I'll head down to check it out tomorrow. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Have a good rest tonight everyone esp to Koume and those suffering from insomnia. Sweet dreams to all. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Coke dissolve tooth becos it contains citric or maybe phosphoric acid..... Any food that conrains acid erodes tooth enamel.....our stomach contains hydrocloric acid, so dun think the acid will harm our stomach..for for sure it'll damage our tooth....and of cos they're high in sugar......

is finally Friday! My legs feel that they have been running a maranthon... weird! Am glad my headache cleared up, otherwise, I'm going to have a hard day today.

Anyone find your taste bud changing? Find mine change quite drastically. From non-chilli eater to favour spicy food now. From sweet tooth to totally don't like sweet stuff.

Will I revert back after birth?

Morning mummies, finally the fav day of the week! Hope everybody have been feeling good n perky! Anyway, went to c my gynae n was given a flu vaccine, anybody had took the jab too?

Gina, tks for adding mi on fb!

Good morning, mummies!

So many good buys at Spring sale, I feel like gg today too. Couldnt go durnig weekday cos working and after work got to rush back home. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

Today see if can cham xiong with my boss to let me go 1-2 hours early to shop shop a bit.. keke.

Hi mummies, with regard to the Spring Maternity wear sales, I was at the suntec outlet (level 3) near to Toy'R us and they also have some selection of long pants, tops and skirts on sales ranging from 20% to 30%. Anyone working or shopping at Suntec may pop over to have a look if interested.

Morning !!

Pommes, my tastebud change too!! From chilli eater to strictly non spicy food, from 1 chocolate a day to no sweets at all...

Kelly , that avent Isis is $429.50 at robisonson . I didn't buy it though , cos my friend advise me to go to Bb fairs to try out the suction of avent n medela then decide which to buy ..

It's weekend!! I'm seeing my Bb tomooro ..

Took MC ... Headache past 2 days yet didn't dare take panadol. Feels like as if tied pony tail too tight / been frowning whole day. Any cures???

gilera, I think the biggest Spring shop maybe is at Vivo...I have not been to the one at NEX, so not sure if NEX outlet is bigger than Vivo. Howvever, the NEX @ Serangoon is their flagship store.

Just to share my feedback on breastpump. I have tried both Medela and Ameda.

Medela - more branded hence more exp. The suction can be very strong although u can adjust it. Didnt really like the strong suction but eventually got used to it.

Ameda - also branded but cheaper. Suction is definitely more comfortable then Medela.

Previously those 2 brands were on loan to me when i was bfeeding. Personally I like Ameda but my usage on that brand didnt last me as long as Medela (cos my friend's sis gave birth so she needed it back). Hence I ended up with only Medela. And also because I have used Medela for so long, I kinda gotten used to the strong suction so right now i am looking for 2nd hand set to buy.

The only setback of Ameda is not many places selling i.e. mainly robinson (and some smaller shops but dun noe where) so when u want to get the spare parts, it can be quite troublesome esp if they run out of stock. For medela, its more commonly sold so parts are everywhere.

Anyway when u get brand new set, you dun really ahve to get spare parts exept the white membrane which tears easily so thats probaly the only ones u need to get as extra

hi Igop..

I saw the avent pump during the robinsons sales last weekend as well...but didn't buy...cos was informed that was the old model...whereby the bottles are not BPA free...thats why its cheaper..think the newer models are no longer called the Isis IQ...but it works the same and with BPA free bottles...think there'll be a philip carnival sale in May, so i'm hoping to get it then...otherwise will wait for some babyfair..cos during baby fair its the same price and free gift as the last taka sales...=)

ILS which model of medela are u using ? For the ameda 1 , if my fren lent me hers to try out do I still need to change the parts?

Hi Kelly what's the reason of narrowing your choice to the avent 1? For me, I saw great reviews in foreign websites n I m impressed by the instruction videos in you tube. My only concern is it's not battery operated ... But the freestyle 1 noisy leh ..

Igop: i cannot remember the model. Its a pretty old model but it works fine. The noisy one.. I heard the new one is not so noisy but the sound doesnt really bother me.

Actually its personal preference to get the suction parts (that is the cup to your breast that collect the milk into the bottle and membrane (which is the white colour parts that stick to the suction cup). I am more particular so i bought these cos my friend ones looks really old.:D

Then it also has the tubing which is to suck out the air.. that one actually no need to buy since it doesnt touch the milk although sometimes it can look abit like dirty or yellow. Thats becasue its hard to scrub the tubing inside. I am fine wtih it so i didnt buy the tubing.

Jojo: 2years back the prices as about 350plus for ameda and 750plus for Medela.

Kelly - I suggest you may want to get feedback for Avent Pump. Maybe i am outdated but 2 years abck with my gal, the only brands that ppl talked abt are Ameda and Medela. From the price u mention the price for Avent is quite close to Ameda, you may want to take a look.

Oh forgot to mention, the 350plus for ameda was during sale time. Robinson always have pretty good sale. Watch out for that sale ba.

Just another thing to share esp for 1st time mummy. My SIL strongly recommended to me to get bottle warmer so I did and I got the most exp brand, Avent IQ warmer or something like that.

In the end, never use cos the temp is so difficult to gauge. Its suppose to be smart but it wasnt or maybe i am stupid so i have this brand new IQ bottle warmer sitting in my storeroom.

In fact the warmer seems to take much longer time than manual way. For heating up breast milk, the best way is still to use hot water.. haiz.. silly me right.. first time mummy kan cheong lor.. so ended up wasting money.

I bought it for $125 or more but in any case, theer is any mummy who is a strong supporter of bottle warmer, please let me know. I can sell mine to her. :D

IloveSashimi: Icic…thanks for explaining! Then I can still go to Mrs Wong for classes then though I’m delivering in Mt A…=)

Yayy countdown 2 more days to seeing baby...and gender hopeeeefully! *cross fingers*

bisforbb: Yes you can. My gf delivered in Gleneagles also went for TMC parentcraft. She wanted Mrs Wong but couldnt get the slot. If you want Mrs Wong, you should call up Parentcraft now and ask about teh schedule cos she is very "hot" one. :D

well....i narrowed down to avent and ameda cos they are the ones that have a close system (less chance of contamination)....read that avent is comfortable and easy to use(cons is the tough tubing which cld topple the bottle).....my fren also says that ameda is not bad...juz that i dun really see it around...some ang mor websites actually rate avent and ameda ahead of medela as well....and a fren of mine who uses medela says its quite painful and her nipples got sore...i reckon thats becos the suction is strong??

ILoveSashimi, I agree with u. As first time mother I also bought the milk warmer from Pigeon brand and I find is a white elephant too! Easier to just use hot water to heat up cold milk. Well, first time mother always need to buy this buy that as part of learning.

b.isforbb, 2yrs back I also delivered in Gleneagles but still can signed up for the TMC parentcraft, just that they charge more for non TMC patients. In fact I feel what Mrs Wong said in class is also able to be learned from baby books or internet. But no harm attending being first time parent.

Kelly - could be the suction cos my nipple cracked initially but got to keep applying the nipple gel after each pumping. Then eventually it got used to it. Could also be first time pumpnig and nipples not used to the "harsh" treatment.

Ameda is definitely my preferred choice but because i ahve all the Medela parts so I just need a 2nd hand machine will do. ;)

Wohoo i have signed up for mrs wong classes too..

Kelly, i saw on other threads that the avent pump turned her nipple squarish.. ya, its my choice too but i need to go down to fair to get a personal feel.

My friends love the ameda pump and i saw their output... Its shockingly good.. but maybe my fren is a cow lo.

haha igop. The pump has nothing to do with volume wor. :D

Could be that your friend is a cow. My SIL also. She raised super high expectation of mine, making me thinking that everyone will have TONS of milk. Haiz. In the end, my supply was so low despite I pump and breastfeed every 2 hours for 24 hrs a day. I barely sleep in my 1st mth cos i was so persistent of bfeeding only my gal. I didnt allow her to drink formula. Haiz.. maybe that time depression ba.. mind cannot think straight.

AFter 1 mth of sleepless nights and walking like a zombie, hubby had a serious 1:1 talk with me. He commanded me to rest and took charge of everything, gave my gal formula and I finally "recovered".

Lesson learnt - do not take it too hard if milk supply is low. OK to alternate Formula with BM. MUST have alot of rest in order to increase milk supply.

Kelly

Medela is quite strong due to suction, and yes i tink quite painful also. But some people prefer strong suction bec it help to stimulate more milk flow.

Utimately wat brand depend on individual.

I ored have a medela PIS and a Medela single. Tis round dunno whether should buy another avent for home use, cos i dun carry the medela PIS to and fro from office as its v heavy, and the medela single is not efficient. But then again i considering not to buy too early in case tis round milk flow not as good as last time.

During 1st P I pump and latch every 1 hour during confinement.. but also bec' i have my mum help to take care my boy. Tis round i dun have as much help so i may not have the time to keep pumping.. so amount may be lesser than last time.

ilovesashimi,

Some people naturally have more milk so they dun have to work v hard also can have a lot... got some colleagues even if 4hrs or more no latch/pump oso won't engorged and amt won't drop.. fantastic lor. in hospital ored have colostrum liao.

My one oso come 2 days after i come back from hospital..so i oso give FM initally for 2 weeks then gradually switch to total BF.

Back