(2011/04) Apr 2011

Lynn,

ya i understd how u feel my #1 have milk strike for as long as 6mth makin him drink milk is like killing him n alot of time i ended up pourin the milk away.. there r different phase 1 n now they dun dirnk does not mean they no longer wan milk ..n u may wan to review the amout of solid u feedin cos it may affect their milk intake if it too fillin...

piggy,

I'm only feeding him 60ml of milk + 2 tablespoon of cereal once a day only. tried to feed him twice cereal (once in morning, once evening) yesterday he didn't want the evening feed nor want milk. maybe not hungry enough?

Mrs Chua

He can swallow the bread???How did u feed him??

Kasper eats the teething rusk i also bu fang xin...

They can choke very easily at this age..

Lynn

there is a book by Annabel Karmal, she is very good.. i have her book..

or u can visit www.annabelkarmel.com

for me, i put milk in almost every puree...

that way Kasper can still maintain his milk intake..

I dont think the porridge and sweet potato can caused fever unless ur baby has an allergy..

but since u tried both at e same time, u wont know which one he is allergic to..

Lynn- ya .. they both will make chewing actions when the fruit is put into their mouth .. but no big pieces.

Will scrap some apple let them try try only.

my mum will pinch a tiny bit of bread for them to eat.. i better ask her to stop ...

But i see got wheat cereal le

smiggleprincess,

that's the problem, and after that still give him apple puree. guess i'll have to try both separately again to find out. Or could it be cause his body had never taken sweet potato and porridge before, thus the spike in temperature? as in his body treats them as foreign objects.

Lynn,

No nt possible if giving new item will trigger fever den we can't intro new food alr usu it best to intro 1 at a time so if any allergy reaction u will know wat causes it.. Another possibility for the fever is teething..

swookie, urs still mus pay a minimal sum???den shoot her since u pay for it! n yes, i somehow believe too cos babies oso cannot tell us what they see...n dun be xianz, my boy oso haven slp tho yet, but i intend to let him wean off when he wants too...

mrs chua get well soon..sumo must have missed u muchie!

lynn, my boy is already on porridge, no issue...might b heaty perhaps? sometimes my boy's head can b hot like fever,but its not...

smiggleprincess, i also feed my boy with small bits of bread with cheese slice..he just bite loh...teething rusk is too hard, they wun be able to bite off...sometimes he might choke or gag, but i read somewhere before its alrite..need to feed on soft bits of food that they can bite as it helps on their speech development in future..

my boy seems to prefer walking den crawling, any babies are also like this?

Morning Jess

You might wish to start with watery cereal (can add in the forumla milk or breast milk)

Puree also can start, either make your own or off the shelf.

Remember to photo/video your baby's reaction when trying new food. I find it priceless .. hahaha

Piggytoh: I did not know cannot feed bread. Luckily u told me cause I was tempted to let him have small bits of bread. I remembered you mentioned if baby has a stuffy/running nose.. they can buy something from the pharmacy.. start with I is it? Baby Z has a cold  having 2 kids at home is tough.. keep falling sick.

I also have not started the rusk biscuits. I think its pretty hard. Maybe 8 mths I might give. Which rusk biscuits do you girls recommend? But I am going to start buying the pigeon thin wafer biscuit. That one is soft and melts pretty easily.

For those babies that drink 110-150ml, how many times do they drink? Mine.. I am trying to feed 180ml and at least 4 times cause I really need to get milk into his system but yet.. still like not much weight gain even after solids.. just wondering how come some babies drink less than mine but still can have good weight gain.

Charmaine: you mean your baby has already started crawling? How do you know he prefers to walk than crawl? Mine cant even sit up right yet! Unlike some of the baby girls in this thread.

Sookie,

bread not say cannot gave but i tink gotta read the ingredient[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

the brand is Illadin look for the 1 for infant..

actually for weightgain it depend on how well ur bb body absorb not really tie with how much they drink [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Piggy: not exactly comparing but I cant keep up with the milk intake.. so wondering if we are feeding him too much. My frozen stash is going down, down, down.. I counted if I stopped BF today, I only have like 3-5 days left of frozen milk stash. But I’m still trying my best.. been drinking the mother milks tea and the mother love pills..

Boss away today so can come into forum :p

sookie, if u're ok wif TCM, u can try consulting e physician I go to. I went to him the 1st time my menses resumed(exactly 6mths after delivery) and when he prescribed tonics I asked if I cld give due to bf, he said even better, cos it'd boost milk production and it did(He said some mothers also went to him for 'something' to boost milk production).

re biscuits : I also think it's still too early for them to munch on biscuits. My nephew once almost choked and since then my sis dare not give to him til much later...(n the biscuit is the hard type so my sis tot it'd wont be 'melted' or bitten off so easily)

Sookie,

no worries cos now they r bigger mah so it norm they takin more;)

Jess,

u can start with fruits like apple, banana, sweet potato, avocado etc.. n do note to continue the same fruits/food for a few day to see any reaction be4 u try a new food..

charmaine & piggy,

yeah. I also think not really possible. maybe really teething, drooling alot again!!! and always wants to munch chew bite something. (or its normal that they do that now?)

wanted to start peaches puree tmr, and now cannot do it cause MIL wanna make potatoes puree on sunday. ugh.

JJ,

you mean no wedge size of the apple? then how do you give it to bb?

biscuit

i tot can give rusk.. its meant for them to chew and not really eat..

for their sore gums..

instead of chewing on toys...

i rather not give any soft biscuits, cos they will choke..

swookie, no still cannot crawl..but when we put him standing, he takes small steps himself...mine drinking at 140ml, 4 hrs daily...

but if baby Z is happy and healthy i think no need to worry so much?

smiggle, my sis gave rusk to my nephew to chew lor, she was super shocked, cos like most of us, she hadn't think a chunk wld 'break loose', good thing she discovered on time...

Hello i am new to forum!

My daughter will turn 6 months end of this month (she is born on the 30th), and glad to see so many mummies with babies on progress at the same time!

I've stopped BF since Sep, and she has been on frozen milk since. My supply is ending so have been starting her on formula since Tues so she is alternating between formula and BM. She is taking 150ml every 3 hrs for BM and 150ml every 5hrs for Formula. Is that normal?

Also, i read on the back of the milk tin that 6 mth old babies are suppose to drink about 210ml?! Can i find out how much your babies are drinking?

I am also curious about what are the first foods to start for 6MO. I also started her on brown rice cereal and carrot last weekend. Heard can't eat too much carrot.

Jess - i gave pumpkin puree. gave those store bought apple puree too

Lynn - ya the same apple I eat (cut into wedges) I just let them chew chew the tip ... then i eat the apple after that

hahaha

Mummies - I'm trying to find a bb cereal that is not so sweet. Nestle is sweet, I tried the rusk (round biscuit one) that can also make into cereal that one is SUPER sweet like giving sugar!!

So far organix is not sweet but hard to maintain cos expensive for little bit of quantity.

I'm trying friso-cream now .. which is slightly less sweet compared to nestle

Hi Mummies,

My daughter is already 6 months old, and still not ready for porridge after my nanny told me that she tried to feed her with porridge.

My husband and myself feed her 150ml milk mixed 1 scoop of cereal rice

Hi Aylie,

My girl is drinking 180ml milk. 210 ml milk is normal as babies at this stage are growing fast [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Hi JJ i am feeding my daughter organic brown rice cereal and it is not sweet at all but i forgot the name. I'll check and let you know. I bought it from an organic supermarket, not from the normal supermarket children's section.

Hi Tiffany, how often do you have to feed your girl 180ml? is it every 5hrs?

jj,

to me both nestle n friso creme is sweet... u can consider bellamy, happy bellies...

i prefer happy bellies cos it nutrient level seems better i bott from iherbs 1 tin only abt $6.50 can last me ard 10-12days with 2 feed per day..[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Aylie,

the feedin guide on the tin is jus a guide differ from babies to babies...

Tiffany,

usu porridge is 8mth onwards..

hmm u add the cereal to ur bb milk bott??

the purpose to feed cereal is partly to wean them so usu we feed via spoon n bowl[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Hello everyone!

Long time didn't come in, hope everyone still remember me and are doing fine...

Re:home renovation

for those mummies who are busy with their home renovation, Let's Jia You together! Me also tired from all the running around but when think of the end product, i think now tedious is worth it.. (at least got my own house.. =D)

Re: Sleep thru

Z also still haven't achieve sleep thru at night, now still wake up every 2 hours... Just hope that he can slowly sleep thru then at least i can have more rest...

Can i check, does any mummies here put their baby sleep in air con room? If yes, does your baby sleep thru in air con room. I do not know is it coz of the air con (the dryness) that make Z wakes up every 2 hours?

Feeding solid

will be feeding Z solid starting tomorrow. will start with cereal first. Can i check with those experience mummies, is it correct to warm up the ebm first then slowly pour in one tbs of cereal to mix well? Usually start, which mix is better? watery or thick mixture?

Do you all heat or warm up the cereal if ur bb can't finish all at one go? If need to re-heat or re-warm how to do it? coz i think can't microwave with ebm...

If start to feed cereal, does it mean that cereal is to replace one of the feeding time? And usually starting feed cereal once a day or twice a day?

sorry for asking so many question.. heehee.. don't have experience so everything is a question mark in my head.. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Hi Fungfung,

Yes my bb z in aircon rm everynite too..mostly all e way till 6 or 7, unless I happen to wake up midway then I'll off it..hehe. She seems fine zz in aircon IMO..

Regarding feeding cereals, I used to use fm to mix into e cereal, so tt any leftover wasted wun b heartpain. Hehe. I'll mix e fm first, bout 40-50ml, then slowly add into e amt of cereal I wan..to e consistency I wan. For me I started w mor watery cereal, n fed her on rocker so easier to help her swallow. N so far she finishes all her cereal, no issue w needing to warm up..but I guess no need ba, since by e time u slowly feed it'd b cold anyways..N when weaning with cereal aim is to intro n teach them how to eat n swallow fm spoon, not e replace a feed. I'll feed bout an hr b4 e time she's due for her next milk feed, then aft feeding cereal, will feed her milk an hr early b4 her usual time interval for milk? My 2 cents worth la..Hope it helps. ;)

rach

oh ok... hmm.. maybe is not the air con... I also dunno.. just hope that he can sleep thru sooner...

as for re-warming up the cereal, what i worry is that he may take some time to finish up and by then it will turn cold so dunno whether need to warm up again before feeding them.

So how many time did u feed ur bb on cereal per day? And the feeding schedule that you mentioned here looks like quite close to each other, she can finish the milk 2 hrs after cereal?

fungfung, u can buy a bowl that has another 'bowl' below it which u put hot water to keep the food warm, [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Fungfung,

I feed once a day oni..ard lunch time..then afternoon if I feel like it will gif a serving of fruit puree as a snack in bet milk feeds..n ya, somehow cereal is not filling for my ger le..she'll finish e milk 2 hrs aft cereal wor..or mayb she's jus a glut. Hehe. U take e cue fm ur bb lo I guess..trial n error!

N regarding aircon, if u suspect mayb it's e dryness tt wakes ur bb up, try putting a small bucket of water in e rm? Heard it helps to gif abit of moisture in e air.. ;) For me I v bad, been training her since 2m+ to z thru by not giving milk in e middle of e nite..hehe..

fungfung,

does your bb gets fully awake in the night, or just eh eh eh away? maybe when you see he is going to be awake, pat pat his butt to help him get back to sleep?

anyone tried Earth's best or plum organics food with bb?

Mum05,

Thanks for sharing..

Rach,

Today, I let him try the cereal which is watery but he can't finish it, I think only finish 1/4.

Ya I know of putting a bucket of water. Have been doing that even b4 he is born [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] wow not bad ya, ur gal can sleep thru by 2mth+. she didn't make noise at night?

Lynn,

He will cry until can tear den the whole house thus very hard to pat pat him back to slp. Hv to let him suckle to calm him den, thus very tiring for mi.

Hi,

I'm new in this thread .. I've just started my girl on solid too .. I let my girl tried nestle brown rice cereal and after she finished it, there is redness ard her mouth and last for 30-45 Mins .. So just wondering does any mum experienced that ??

Hi JJ

Re my earlier post, i feed my baby BabyNatura cereal, bought from an organic supermarket. It is not sweet at all and smells quite good. You can try to find it

Hi Fung fung

My baby has been sleep in aircon with me right after my confinement, and started sleeping throught the night (11pm - 7pm) since 9 weeks old. Whatsmore she was on total breastmilk. She is turning 6 months end of April. The trick we used back then was to swaddle her so she won't wake up scared, of course now we don't swaddle her anymore, she is too big for the cloth. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] Also i heard for babies who don't drink enough milk in the day will try to "make up" for it at night so best to also check if she is nursing enough in the day.

Now my queries:

any mummies experience teething babies yet? my daughter has been drooling for a long while now, and instead of sucking her pacifier, she prefers to take in her hand, "chew" on the plastic portion (either the ring or the flat part) when she is awake. could she be teething?

lynn, my boy is eating earth's best cereals...

fung fung, ya, i hope the end result of my new hse is worthwhile with the money im paying for reno!arious also slps aircon room, thats becos he's scared of the heat, so cooler for him..u can maybe use a humidifier if its too dry?as for feeding, first is watery den making it thicker each day..what the pd teaches me previously is let him eat some to try then before his nap feed him milk, when he is full he will know how to stop..den u can slowly increase the portion, now airus eats enough till his next feed 4 hrs later...

Aylie,

How to determine whether he had enough in the day or not? If calculate the feed after midnight, then each day he got about 7-8 feeds, something got 9. (this include the latch on at night).

My boy also drool sometimes and he also will chew on anything that he can get hold of. Same as ur gal, he will bite on the plastic portion of the pacifier and the string. But I haven't seen any white thing coming out yet.

Charmaine,

Will one lah...

Z also scare of heat and he can't sleep without zircon, even sleep but can't slp long as compared to sleeping in aircon room. I got put a container of water in the room so as to moisture the air inside.

As for feeding, if first try watery, he didn't finish all, does it mean that my 2nd time will still remind watery? Until he can finish all, then make it thicker? These 2 days I feed him ard 11 or 11+am then his next feeding timing is ard 2pm+-

Hi mommies!

jj: I feed my baby bellamy organic rice cereal. Its not sweet and kai-monster seems to like it, especially when I add mashed carrots. u can find the bellamy range in cold storage.

re: teething. Kai-monster has 2 front teeth already. sadly my maid was the first to discover them and not me. She started off by sucking her thumb ALOT and hasn't stopped since. We recently bought tooth wipes from ntuc (grape flavored) to protect against tooth decay but are not really sure how to use it. she chokes on it sometimes. is it too early to brush her teeth with baby toothpaste?

re: constipation. I am facing the same pblm too. Suspect it is due to the "upgrade" in formula to Stage 2 and introduction of semi solids. kai monster looks really pitiful when pushing. to get around this, I try to feed her with as much papaya and banana as possible (unfortunately she doesn't like water). she seems to take quite well to it.

re: working. I recently tendered too. it was just not possible to deliver the same commitment to work without compromising work life balance. think its easier to just start afresh. If only I could be a stay at home mom... =(

Hello mommmies!

anyone using the Avent blender to make puree for baby? (the one where you can steam and blend in the same machine) is it any good?

Quarrelled with hubby over making food for R. He keeps saying its okay to just let R drink milk all the time now and feed whatever my MIL makes for bb. hais.

Thanks Mummies for your recommendations of cereals! time to go shopping !

nowadays most of my shopping buys are for the bb's ... bought very little things for myself...

Lynn - I'm using the avent blender, bought 2nd hand. Not bad but 1 con is that it will leak water when I steam then flip over to blend.

So far only did pumpkin puree ...

hi mummies, I have 4 packs of Gerber Cereal, Rice & Mixed Fruit with NutriProtect wanna let go at S$3.50 each as my little fellow had run out of interest for it. Any1 interested?[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/3877999/6202237.jpg]

Just to share with you guys. Guardian having promotion for Friso 2 & 3.. buy 2 get 1 tin free . promotion ends 3rd Nov. i checked the packaging is the same as those without promotion selling at NTUC.

Lynn - leak water is when I turning the container to blend mode the water will leak out. Cos of the steaming i suppose ...

fung fung, 2nd time can make slightly thicker...timing seems ok too...

lynn, im have the blender also..its not leak water but when u steam u have moisture so when u turn upside down to blend all the steam moisture will b there...the water helps when u r blending sweet potato which is naturally dry, but for like apples or brocoli, i will drain off the water..but then again i only used a few times cos now i jus mashed the food for my son..

My mum is trying out porridge for them now. She will grind the organice brown rice then cook with meat & carrot (for essence) till mushy then feed them a small portion.

For me I combine the carrot inside but will blend it in the blend till puree then feed them.

Not both of them can consume 1/2 a chinese bowl of cereal w/o problem. Looks like got to increase quantity already.

Hello tweety! ♥

JJ & Charmaine,

ic! so basically can do without it also? the blender. cause now what i do is just use fork to mash the apples and give to bb.. that's like stage 2 of weaning right?

Lynn - Erm ... if can get 2nd hand one better cos really only use during this stage when their food needs to be blended finer.

the blender still can use to make stage 2 food (more chucky) just blend lesser (maybe 1 / 2 rounds)

If u like smoothies can get to make for your self nxt time when the bb outgrow.

For me a 2ns hand one is good enough le. .. plus mine is for 2 so cost divide btw 2 of them .. hahaaha (trying to justify $$ spent)

Back