(2011/01) Jan 2011

kimmy.. if you use the avent pump.. r u still able to massage while pumping? or you juz pump without massaging?

Baby carrier,

Any mummies here using one? I just got one and my bb starts out in it ok, but will fuss after a while. Wondering if it's normal or i'm not wearing it right. Any tips to share to get bb to stay in it longer, other than making her fall asleep?

Hi grumpus

I just increased the teat size today but he still goes into deep sleep after giving 2-3 sucks. Sigh...wonder what's wrong with him...thanks for your suggestion anyway.

Hi Chabby,

I am going for Taiwan trip end March without my bb too. Gonna bring my pump there. But instead of washing equipments, I bought the Medela Quickclean Wipes to wipe the equipments. Too lazy to bring so many things.

Im even comtemplating to buy a manual pump for the trip and when I go out/at work next time..

any mummies tried medela harmony manual breastpump? which manual breast pump is better?

Oh and where can i get cheap breastfeeding tops for work and go out? so that it is easier for us when we are pumping out the milk if we are at work or outside.

Wow, so many mummies going for trip...i do not have the courage to go le...thinking of pumping every 3hr like very troublesome.

Mummies who going for trip, who helps u looking after bb?

Chercat, sorry corection to my previous reply, my hubby is tech crew..

luckymummy

was told by my mum not to use the baby carrier until baby is 3-4mth.. worry let him sit in it, legs become apart..no good.

CL

thanks. the wipes are ex le.. sigh~ i bought the sterilising tablets le.

My mother will look after my bb during for my 5D 4N trip.. Gotta buy her a big meal after that!

I'm very tempted to bring my 2+mth bb along since he has a passport. We brought him to JB shopping daytrip when he was barely a month so he ald has his first chop..haha. But Taiwan is too far for my young bb.. Will miss him!

Yea! I wld like to find out more on medela manual pump! Seems like everyone is using agent. Are all manual pumps with just one side only? I cannot imagine pumping two times left and right manually..

Medela Manual Pump

I used the medela harmony when my #1 was born. I must say the stimulation is much better and my supply increased in leaps and bounds when i used it. but of cos it's very tiring, so after the 1st month or so i switched to the medela swing when my friend passed me her swing motor.

btw, for those mummies who are using the swing, the parts for the harmony and the swing are exactly the same. just unplug the swing tubing and plug in a handle and it becomes a manual harmony pump. i still hv my harmony handle if anyone is interested.

CL,

yes, all manual pumps are one side only.

Puix2.. Mine is a team offsite.. Have to go lo.. Probably leaving my bb w my SIL cos shes mostly at home n she has maid to help take care..

Grumpus.. When u use manual pump.. How long do u usually pump for each side?

think i will try my manual pump for my nex pump see whether more effective or not [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

chabby,

really? but what do you mean by legs will be apart? I realised my bb likes to sleep in the legs apart pose also, with both thighs facing out...so no real difference I thought.

manual pump,

it will really increase milk supply? too bad I have no ready manual pump at hand. My supply seems to have become fixed already...looks like I will never be a multiple ounce pumper. But compared to the first few weeks it's not bad already...at least can provide every other feed for baby if I pump every 3 hours.

luckymummy

sleeping is a natural position. can't do much. but when we put in, they have to sit in there w legs apart and often w alot of pressure at the hip. so i'll wait till a later time then use those baby carrier. in meantime i'll jus sling him.

grumpus

i shall go store room and dig out my manual avent to try. see whether can help w my clogged duct.

Gina,

When I was using manual pump I was pumping every 3 hrs. Each time abt 10-15mins per side.

Chubby,

Ya lor, bbs legs r naturally turned outwards so sitting in the carrier is actually very comfortable for them. Their legs will only slowly straighten out when they start to walk

Grumpus, mine is with 777.

Currently i stay with my mum...but soon will have to move back my own house liao...i still do not have plan how to take care of bb..wats ur plan? U working mum? Who helps u to take care after maternity leave? Headache le...

Chabby, For clog ducts, when u pump even with electric pump, u have to at the same time keep pressing the tender area to let the milk come out even if it is painful..thats how i did.. N after few pumps, it will be softer n gradually cleared...

puix,

this bb is my 2nd bb.

i went through yr dilemma 3 yrs ago with my 1st bb. in the end i quit my job after my ML and became a SAHM [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

now i take care of 2 kids by myself when hb is away.

luckymummy, I'm using the baby bjorn active carrier but have used only twice just to bring him downstairs.

My neighbour saw me carrying him in the carrier, ended up being lectured [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif] She said baby's spinal cord still soft cannot sit in carrier till 4 months old.

Hi grumpus,

I'm using the medela swing. Didn't know can plug in the handle to make it a manual pump. Do u still need yr handle? I don't mind buying it frm you. It will save me the trouble of getting an avent manual one.

Thks mummies for the feedback for the manual pump. is it recommended to get that medela harmony manual breastpump? or there is another better brand? anyone know the price for medela harmony manual breastpump and avent manual breastpump?

I also bought the baby bjorn carrier. mine is the sygnery. i haven tried using it yet. but my hubby tried once at home. my in law never say anything leh. at first me and my hubby also thot the same way as their legs will be apart. but we dont use the carrier often just when we go out shopping or need to carry alot of things then use that.

if its true about the leg thingy then i think i will just use double ring carrier first.

puix/grumpus,

I've taken no pay leave till the end of this year...first child and not intending to get a maid so will try it out and see how. But must admit that the first 2 mths have not been easy, wonder if I will regret stayinh home alone.

elekos/xiaopang,

do u know if its really true abt spinal cord being soft till 4mths? but then the sling carrier will also pose the same problem right? same as carrier, or even when we hold them, it just conforms to shape of cloth/how you carry and the spinal cord will be curved too..or is that a good position? with the carrier I can adjust till bb is quite tightly sitting upright. I thought support is good for the spine? So confusing..

luckymummy, was told to cradle baby with hand supporting back and not let him sit upright till later....

I was hesitant on getting sling as firstly learning curve is quite high, secondly seems no support for baby's back. Also, I've history of backaches therefore needed a carrier with good back support. Read that yao lan is not good for baby's back, not sure how true but since my boy is happy to sleep in his cot I've no intention to use it.

Gina,

Instead of pumping, I will hold my breast up, press around the breast while pumping. Will stop in between and massage then continue.

Chabby,

same here. I got the block duct few days back, very aching, touch a bit also v painful. Have no choice to press very hard even in pain while pumping using manual pump. So must press press press...

Luckymummy,

our company so good. Allowed you to take unpaid leave. My hubby keep asking me if I can work from home..On and off still ok, but cannot be long term leh. My MIL will look after my baby after I start work, but I was still thinking if I should quit and stay at home..I dunno if I will be ok to stay at home and no income ^_^

Sling/carrier

I have a sling and used once only and that was when khloe is still very young. Now when I try to sling her, she seems dislike, dunno issit the way I use is wrong or she just dun like it. Thinking to buy a carrier, seems more easy to sit her in but hubby kept saying dun need.

Spinal cord being soft

OMG, I carry khloe in upright position cos she like it (stop cranky), is that bad for her spinal?

Washing bottle

Anyone using the washing liquid to wash the bottles? Can share how? Cos sponge cant get into the bottle neck. was thinking to pour a bit of liquid into the bottle and use the brush. what is the best way?

Cut hair

Any mummy cut baby's hair?

Chelleybaby,

I will PM u abt the pump handle.

luckymummy,

it is good yr company allows u to take npl for so long! trust me u won't regret it. of cos the 1st 2 mths are tough, but it gets easier as bb gets older. hang in there [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

spinal cord being soft

it is true that bbs spines are still soft but that doesn't mean u hv to leave them flat on their backs all day long. u can still use carrier, rocker, car seat, sling, carry upright etc as long as it's not excessively like the entire day or every single day for the whole day. as long as there's variation to their positions and they're given ample opportunity to stretch out, it is fine.

wah.. i also always carry my baby upright leh. cause she like to look at things. so i have to carry her in our facing direction. somehow i think it depends on individual babies. some can crawl very early and some is already trying to sit upright in their early stage etc. i also agree with grumpus. as long as we dont carry them all day long in those position or put them whole day in the sling or carrier is ok. just a few hours is fine i think.

kimmy, i put 2 drops of washing liquid into the bottle then i use the cover to cover and shake a few times then use the brush to rub inside then wash away wor. i dont use sponge on milk bottles cause cannot go in ma.

today is taka baby fair right?

xiaopang,

ok, will try using your method..thanks..hehe

yaya, taka fair started...dunno if my hubby willig to fetch me there

xiaopang,

i ask my hubby already, he say nothing to buy. then i told him can buy car seat..he say can buy anywhere..so bad..then i said wan to bring khloe, he say cannot..bad husband

kimmy,

your hubby so cute.. haha.. how he know got nth to buy? bring the small one go walk walk also good ma.. haha.. always stay at home she will feel bored de.. =X i thinking of going to see manual pump & baby cot leh, but dont know they will sell anot.

Introduced yaolan to my bb yesterday. Sigh no choice but to put him sleep in it, if not it takes hours for us to pat him to sleep in our arms, n once put him down to bed, he wakes up again...too tired..

Have u mummies done the same?

Kimmy, my boy hair was shaved off when he turned full month. Made into tai mao bi [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

kimmy - u referring to washing feeding bottles or breastpump bottles? Anyway, for feeding bottles i use wide neck so no problem washing. For the bottles i use with my breastpump and for storing milk, i will use sponge to wash. I cut the sponge into half so can go into the bottle, then to wash the bottom of the bottle i use a chopstick to move it around. Find it cleaner to use sponge to wash the bottle cos bmilk very oily.

puix,

my gal also like that. pat her to sleep then once put her on her cot she wakes up. but i refuse to let her sleep in yao lan. because if i fix at my hse, my mum's hse also got to fix too. cause my mum will look after her when i get back to the workforce. so i just swaddle her and let her sleep during the night time. day time xin ku abit, let her sleep abit abit. no choice.. i scare next time is tough to let her sleep on bed again.

Btw your yao lan is those drill hole fix on the ceiling de ar? you find ppl fix or your hubby diy?

pinky, i dont have today with me. only got straits time. hehe..

When i feed my gal, she will cry and fuss and struggle for a while before she settles down and start sucking. Any mummies also experience this? Wonder what is wrong.... i bottle feed my gal EBM, no latch on at all.

sputnik,

my gal also like this recently. i think she want to test water first before she start drinking haha.. so i will take out and re-feed her afew times til she find her angle to suck from the teats.

hmm.. i think my gal got most of the problem leh.. jialet!

No my yaolan is frame one...can disemble n assemble one...my bb dont even want to be swaddled..his hands want to move around freely...if not he will get frustrated...

Sputnik, could it be that ur bb got wind need to be burb out first? My bb needs to be burb few times during feeding..after burbing, he can drink smoother...but once he struggle again, have to burb him again...

puix - it is actually when i start feeding her and not in the middle of the feed. Maybe like xiao pang says, she wants to test water first..

xiaopang,

that is call lazy hubby lor...khloe got ear infection, he say wait till she fully fully fully 100% recover then only bring her out.. he still dare to say I not gd, still bring baby out..

puix

Actually we bu she de to shave off khloe's hair especially my husband. But old ppl say if diden shave off, next time will have white hair..dunno how true..I scared leh

Sputnik,

I reffering to both. All the bottles I use is not wide neck cos my MIL say wide neck teats not so soft, very hard to feed cos take longer time. Have no choice to keep all wide neck bottles. I use xiaopang method, shake very hard, so far so gd, I brush together with the soap also..

yaolan,

I dun wan to introduce to khloe. Like wat xiaopang say, install own house, another house need to install. Hard to bring them out for overnite if they very used to yao lan. Im now let khloe sleep in her cot during day time, nite time sleep in btween us. dun wan to let her used to just one bed.

Cranky while drinking

Khloe will be like that when she is overly hungry and overly tired.

puix, kimmy

press the tender area until pain.. sigh~

kimmy

my hubby also dun wan to bring me to taka babyfair. he say parking there is a nitemare and worry if cha siew pau cry in the car.. wah.. he worry he can't concentrate on driving/handle.

there's a carrier that can be use to carry the baby in a sleeping position. seen it at kiddy palace. but it cost near $200 if i din remember wrongly.

i find the sling quite ok. but i do need to struggle a bit to get the rite pose.

xiaopang

i've both the drill hole in the ceiling and frame one. drill hole is better, cheaper and dun take up space.

despite having both, i'm not in favour of lettin my kid sleep in yaolan cuz i read that the shaking movement is bad for brain development. but have to give in as my parents insist that it's more secure/safer esp when baby earn to flip and the head shape is better. when i go back to work, they'll be the one looking after my cha siew pau als. so in the end, he is sleeping in a sarong w/o any spring attached at all. but i'm quite glad that my CSP has no issue sleepin on a bed at nite so far as we limit his sleep in the sarong to short naps during the day.

puix and xiaopang, my boy also the same.. pat him to sleep, but the moment i put him down, he will open his eyes wide wide and all hell runs loose.. LOL.. i introduced yaolan to him.. it works sometimes..

now whenever i want to put him to sleep, i'll put both his hands on his chest then swaddle him very tight.. once swaddled, i'll pat him to sleep.. once he's in deep sleep, then i'll put him down in his yaolan or on the bed..

my boy also struggles to free his hand when we swaddle him.. but i'll swaddle him tightly then quickly carry him n pat him.. once he feels that he's in my arms, he will quiet down and slowly drift off to sleep..

if still doesn't work.. i'll slot pacifier to his mouth.. when he got pacifier in his mouth.. his hands will automatically stop moving and slowly fall asleep (its like he cnnt coordinate sucking and moving his hands at the same time.. LOL)..

oh for the swaddle cloth, i use very thin, silk-like cloth to swaddle him.. so that its not too warm for him..

chabby, y not take taxi to the fair? i doubt my hubby will wana drive to taka during this period or weekends.. he will start cursing and swearing at the bad traffic and limited parking.. at least if you take cab, dun have to think about all this..

Kimmy,

Heard that shaving bb hair is more of letting bb's hair grow more evenly next time.

Mummies,

If bb's hair is v thin and little, should I still shave the hair?

Xiao pang, mine was passed down by my fren. But i saw this type of yaolan at the baby kingdom...ya quite stable le...i put mattress beneathe my bb yo play safe...

My boy hair also little n thin, just becoz want to let his hair grow nicer n more, we shaved off to make tai mao bi [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]...n the mao bi can only be done in xiao kai..haha coz too little hair :p

Kimmy/grumpus,

I'm in e civil service. So they gotta walk the talk n provide more family friendly arrangements. I hope it does get easier but anyway still can run back to my mums place if it gets challenging. Seems like babies nowadays r harder to care for?

Bb sling,

I have no skill in wearing it. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif] tried putting the cloth ard me n the space available for bb seemed so little. I looked at the space, looked at bb, n tried to imagine how she can possibly fit when her limbs r so long. N I have the right size sling for my weight n height. So in the end didn't use it.

Kimmy,

Heard that shaving bb hair is more of letting bb's hair grow more evenly next time.

Mummies,

If bb's hair is v thin and little, should I still shave the hair?

Mummies, went to taka baby fair in the afternoon, already got small crowd and quite long queues at cashier.

Xiao Pang, yes they do have manual pumps and cots on sale... saw a fisher price playpen very nice but $299 still considering whether to get it...

My boy has alot of hair and good shiny condition. I can't bear to shave it till now... still thinking whether to do so after his uncle's wedding in May.

Back