(2011/01) Jan 2011

karis,

i've brought my girl out a number of times with the pram. when at the foodcourt or fastfood i'll park the pram at the table closest to the stall/counter i'm ordering from. then quickly order food while keeping an eye out for bb.

Mag,

if bb hair is thin then shd shave cos supposedly it'll grow back thicker and nicer.

elekos,

both my girls have very nice hair. i refuse to shave :p

Mummies, since we all keep pumping milk every few hours, do you feel that the nipples a bit sensitive n a bit painful when they are touched. I wonder if my pumping pressure too high n caused the pain or it is normal as we are "abusing" our nipples every few hours :p

Kimmy, you hubby damn idea la.. haha.. still say you no good sia.

Chabby, thks will take note. didnt know got this kind of effect that is not good for their brain. my MIL also suggested yao lan. haha.. but i also dont really want to let andrea sleep yao lan. wait diff to quit.

Gina, andrea dont like pacifier unless she is hungry and i am having my meal then my MIL will give her until i finish my dinner.

Btw what silk-like cloth you using? i swaddle andrea and i got to on air con during the day time.

Elekos, yea i also went just now. bought a musical travel mobile that got 12 diff music for andrea. hope she can sleep more soundly and wont kena shake waken. and avent manual pump is on sales! $99!!

as for hair, i shave andrea's hair on her full month too. as my MIL say if dont shave next time they will get white hair and baby hair will slowly drop by themselve and is very ugly. so i shave and let her hair grow more evenly lor.

Hi,

I have a COMBI infant car seat (combi cs9-ifx) in grey and maroon color, excellent condition as good as new (9.5/10). I am staying in Tampines, open for viewing if you are keen. Please PM me with reasonable price. =)

[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/3877999/5198704.jpg]

Mummies, do you have experiences whereby your baby suddenly cries out loud and wakes up from sleep as if having nightmare? My boy has a few times these 2 weeks and I am kind of worried [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif] Not sure is it because I sometimes let him watch TV programmes after his feed (about 10-15 mins)

elekos, your boy cry out loud and got waken then when you pat him he fall asleep again? i think is nightmare. andrea sometimes also will like this. and sometimes she will smile while she is sleeping. theres this old saying the goddess of the bed (chuan tou po po) playing with them. just calm you boy down by carrying him tight and pat him awhile then put him back to bed ba. maybe it works. =)

Yeah, I would carry and pat him before putting him back in the cot, he would make the ke lian sob sob sound with his eyes closed but fall asleep shortly after.

Maybe babies drink too much milk, like adults eat too much, will get nightmares? Sometimes I wonder what kind of nightmares he has... being chased by milk monster? :p

chabby,

haa...y our hubby are like tat hor.. my hubby seem scared to bring khloe out, dunno issit find it troublesome..sad

khloe struggle a lot when i try to bring her with sling..i see ppl happily movng around like tat, so envy..

yesterday bring khloe down to take an evening walk, i carry her upright, end up got lectured by one auntie..dunno issit the same auntie that lecture u..lol

puix

I laugh out when u say ur baby hair is too little and can only make xiao kai bi...the way u descrip very funny..hehe

luckymummy,

Not really. I found it baby nowaday more easier to take care, Less cranky and crying..but they wan more attention nowaday, wan us to talk to them..

Elekos,

same..khloe will also suddently cry out loud, I will quickily pat and talk to her, let her know that mummy is around. and ya, she will also give ke lian face with the ke lian mouth shape and sob sob sound..so poor thing like that..haha

I also wonder wat kind of nightmare/dream that they r dreaming..haha

Baby hair,

Khloe also has a lot of hair and shiny..I very bu she de to shave it plus my sister wedding is in Sept, dunno if able to grow pretty if shave now. If shave after my sister wedding, CNY is coming..difficult to make decision, plus hubby disagree to shave, he say cut a bit can already.

Finally my baby's colic seem to be goin away!

2 wks of screaming everynite was tiring.

Am so glad baby is behaving more normal now.

Can't wait for her to reach 4-5 mths when they can play.

Rite now I give her rattle she doesn't seem interested. Sometimes stare at it blankly n sometimes dun even look at it.

Anyway I bot the fisher price portable infant to toddler rocker last wk. And I feel it's a good buy! Baby sleeps soundly in it n she seems more comfy than in her cot. So less carrying her to sleep for me!

Anyone bot anything at taka baby fair? Wats a good buy? Will b goin down this afternoon to chk out the prices.

xiaopang, the cloth i use is similar to this.. http://www.nyfashioncenterfabrics.com/sicofa.html

i think you can go to any textile shop and checkout.. as long as its thin and light.. it should be fine..

kimmy, my boy also struggle a lot and cry when i put him in sling.. i think i dunno how to adjust the sling properly.. make him very uncomfortable.. i give up, sometimes will just put him in the baby carrier which he seems to enjoy more.. plus he gets to look around the surrounding curiously and enjoys it.. my MIL and relatives all nagged and say putting him in carrier not good.. say he's legs open wide wide not good.. sighhh..

Hi Bethel,

May I know which fisher price rocker did you get? Am contemplating to get one too, as baby is a very light sleeper, need to carry to fall asleep, and once put in cot will wake up. *sigh*

Hi all

I went to the taka fair yesterday afternoon. Not so crowded yet. Brands like Medela, Pigeon, Avents, Fisher Price was dere. Seem like discounts were more for baby cot and car seat. The rest so so only.

Need some advise on breastpump. Currently I am using Medela Swing, no problem with the pump so far. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] But I am afraid when I go back work might not have so much time to pump so I'm thinking whether to buy the Medela Freestyle. As it is a duo pump and suction better so it will save time. So how's the review of the Freestyle and do your think I should invest on it?

Grumpus, puix, chelleybaby,

Your hubbies all crew; I am sure your babies/toddlers will have alot of overseas stuff which may be difficult to get in S'pore & also cheaper some more. Envy envy! I used to be flying till gotta RESIGN due to pregnancy (guess which 'pro-family' airline huh?) so now I am debating should I go back or not? Hmmm....

Elekos,

Your milk monster nightmare scenario very funny, heh heh!

I like medela freestyle.. It's dual pump so save a lot of time..

Can pump like 200ml at one go.. And within 15min too..

Anybody know where to get baby changing mat? Those portable light weight ones, and bigger size one. I can't find it and those I saw are so small..

hoshi,

i bought mine last time from kiddy palace. just a thin waterproof mat which i just fold up and stuff in my bag

chercat,

I was also a cabin crew!! haha! And i'm planning to apply to return in June. Wanna spend time with baby first and breastfeed for 6 mths too. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Gina, thks for the link!

hey mummies,

do your little one sleep less each day as they grow older? my gal seldom sleep during the day time. my gal seldom wants to sleep in the afternoon time.

And how much plain water do you feed your little one each day?

Xiaopang.. My boy sleeps lesser in the day now.. I let him lie on the bed n do some kicking on his own if he's not fussing to be carried.. When I see him yawning then will pat him to sleep.. But my parents n in-laws keep saying muz let bb sleep to grow.. But I find that if my boy sleeps too much in the day.. His eyes will open wide at night n I dun need to slp le.. =(

Any mommies' has experience w bb going thru growth spurts? What r the symptoms? My boy today keep drinking non-stop n keep crying after I unlatch him.. Damn stress cos my mom keep asking if he dun have enough n keep wanting to bottle-feed him

Oh regarding plain water.. I dun give my boy plain water cos his PD say water will make him full and may not want to drink milk after that.. And bb won't grow cos water got no nutrients.. But if his lips is dry, then my hubby will wet some cotton n use it to dab his lips

Gina, my gal also do have this kind of problem. keep drink not enough and keep cry. so i just give her 1oz by 1oz slowly feed her and afew hours later she will doze off liao.

No plain water?!?!? my inlaw and mum also keep say must give her drink plain water so she will poo. and sometimes hiccup i also feed her with plain water wor. so conclusion is to give or not to give? haha..

How come my boy sleeping hours are ramdom one? No fix timing. Suka suka then sleep 4 hrs, suka suka then eyes open big big. His day starts almost always around 3-4am then until 9am.,,,then day time sometimes sleep until we anyhow put him on bed he also wont waje up, sometimes pat him for hours n once put him down he awake again...How to fix his timing.. Wanna cry le..arms aching n sleepy le coz not enough sleep... [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

Puix,

Yr bb only 2 mths old lei how to hv fix timing? Bb sleepy will sleep, hungry will cry, not sleepy dun sleep, not hungry dun drink. Slowly lah....

Oh grumpus, is like that one huh? Coz i saw some mummies claimed here that their bb can have last feed at 9pm n then sleep thru till morning.. I wonder why my bb so random...

sigh!! i have been letting my baby to latch on and today i try to pump out but to my disappointment. my milk supply never increase at all. sigh! i really wonder how my baby have enough milk each time. =( so sad..

puix, you are not the only one asking that! i was also asking them too.. but it takes time. tho my baby still cant sleep thru til morning. haha.. hang on there! hehe..

puix: same lah. i am waiting for my baby to sleep thru night. There is only 1 night that he slept from 12am to 6am. i think that previous day we were out most of the time and he was awake and active.My hubby and I got a shock from sleep when he wake up at 6am and cry for milk.

xiaopang, when ur gal doze off.. how long can she sleep for ah? i juz latched my boy for 50 min before he's contented lo.. lucky my MIL help me burp him now~ i think i'm juz a milk-maid to my boy~ LOL..

ya my mom and MIL keep asking me to give water too.. think when we were young, they also give us water with no problem.. but BM contains a lot of water, so if feeding BM, then dun need to give water...

dun be disappointed abt ur ss.. i'm like you, have been latching my boy for a month la, but my ss still slow.. if i dun feed him and pump out.. i can only pump max 80 or 90ml.. and even if i feel engorge and pump only after 3 - 4 hrs.. i can only pump about 110ml.. super pathetic.. if i have time, i will pump after latching him so accumulate my milk stock.. LOL.. if really not enough for him, i'm prepared to give him FM to supplement le..

try pumping out in the morning.. first pump of the day usually can pump out a lot.. after latching him in the morning, i can usually pump about 75-80ml of milk.. usually only 30-40ml..

puix, my boy last feed is about 1030.. sometimes he will also open eyes big big dun wana sleep lo.. nowadays i try to keep him awake more in the daytime by playing with him or let him watch his cot mobile and let him kick himself.. so that at night he sleeps more easily.. after his last feed, sometimes he can last until 2am or 3am before he cries for milk again.. and usually i bottle-feed him for his last feed.. if i BF him for his last feed, he will wake up every 2 hrs in the middle of the night for milk..

Gina, waking up for milk is ok for me as long as after milk he is willing to sleep back. But my boy will always wake up in the mid night then refused to sleep back or hard to fall asleep, he will cry or call us to carry him..end up from1am till 6am we have to carry him n walk here walk there....[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

Gina, my gal can sleep sometimes 1 or 2hours. at night is better.. max 3-4hours when i breastfeed her. dont know during at night is she is tired or what? i will try pumping out after i latch her. ya sometimes she can latch for 1hour+ for both breast. but not all the time latch sometimes nibble abit also.. i will try pumping out in the morning later. sigh.. if supply still low then i think i will consider stop breastfeeding liao. =(

My gal has been sleeping for 7-8 hrs stretch for the past 2 nites. Hope it continues :)

My friend who has 3 kids was sharing with me how sometimes latching on does not increase bmilk ss. For her 3rd kid, she latch on while she was on maternity leave. According to her, he does not drink a lot. When she went back to work, she was shock that when she pumped, she did not get much milk. She realised that this was because since her bb's appetite was small, her supply did not increase even tho she latch on. In her case, pumping would actually have stimulated more milk. She did not have this problem with her first 2 kids as they drank more. So actually sometimes latching on does not increase yr ss. For me, i have been pumping almost from the beginning, and now can get abt 900ml per day.

I think there's a misconception abt latching on and increasing milk ss.

latching on will increase milk ss to MEET YR BBs DEMAND

so if u started with very low ss and u keep latching, yr ss will go up to match what yr bb needs. in that sense latching helps to increase yr ss. whereas if u pump, you are ARTIFICIALLY creating demand.

i think sometimes singaporean women are too obsessed with pumping and monitoring the no. of ml they can get and always comparing how much they can pump and how much excess they hv. what is the point of pumping so much and having a huge freezer store? as long as u hv enough for yr bb that should be sufficient.

i was like that for my #1, super obsessed with pumping and storing. My #1 only drink 90-100ml every 3 hrs. I could pump 150ml every 3 hrs. I had a huge freezer store, felt so satisfied and pleased with myself that I had accomplished something. After 6 mths, the milk expired, my girl couldn't finish all the frozen milk and they had to be thrown away. Where's the accomplishment in that?

if u truly want to hv 'very good' supply then u should latch and pump. Then u'll hv enough to feed twins -- yr bb and yr pump

Grumpus – yes, I do agree that many people are obsessed with increasing their milk ss. I was one of them when I had my number 1, as my ss was really pathetic at the beginning and like some mummies here, I felt very stressed trying to increase my ss, so I understand how they feel. But the truth is that even when they latch on, some mummies do not have sufficient to meet their bb’s demand, hence need to supplement with FM. Some bbs tend to fall asleep while latching on and after that wake up cos not full so need to keep latching on very often which is very tiring. In this case it may be better to express and feed. My 2 gals are like this, hence no choice but to pump to increase my ss.

For me, I need to have excess to freeze as my in laws will be taking care of my gal in future and she will be staying with them during the week. As I cannot afford the time to go everyday to deliver milk, hence need to depend on frozen milk. Also, many people experience a reduction in the milk supply when they start work as they have no time to pump consistently, so also have to rely on frozen milk. Anyway, I don’t wait for my milk to expire, I’m starting to use the frozen milk already and freezing new ones so that they are ‘fresher’. So even tho I do have quite a lot of excess at the moment and have abt 20 bags in the freezer of 200ml each, when you come to think of it, it is actually less than 1 week’s supply.

It was not easy to build up my ss and I am definitely proud that I accomplished it. For my number 1, I made a lot of sacrifices to bfeed, e.g. as my boss is not very understanding, I had to use my lunchtime to express and eat at the same time. I also survived on less than 5 hrs of sleep for the first 2 mths after I went back to work. Lucky I had my frozen milk as backup, if not may not have sufficient to feed my gal. I know many people who give up breastfeeding even before they go back to work, and they are very amazed that I manage to breastfeed my older gal for more than 1 year without the need to supplement with FM. Now I am doing it all over again for my number 2.

I’m just sharing my experience on how it is possible to increase ss by pumping as I can tell that some mummies here are quite stressed over trying to increase their supply as they have to supplement with FM, even to the extent of eating seaweed, so am just trying to encourage them and offer alternatives. I am also not comparing the amt of milk expressed per day, just to share that it is possible to establish a good supply by expressing. In fact, I think there is nothing wrong with supplementing with FM if the bmilk is not enough, rather than be so stressed abt it. Also, I don’t think my ss is that fantastic, I know of some people who can express more than 1.5 litres per day. I believe this forum is to share our experiences, so your remarks abt feeding ‘twins’ are frankly speaking, quite hurtful.

Grumpus, I am actually just preparing myself to get ready to get back to the work force. In a months time I am going back to work. so if now i dont monitor and when the times really come i think by then i got no more milk for andrea. my ss is already so low and just nice for andrea's need then how do i have excess for her when i start going back work?

if i am not going back to work i dont even need to monitor my ss. and i dont even need to get any pump just let her latch as and when she likes. i also dont need so xinku go try out all those food that helps to increase ss. =)

Sputnik, thks for your story. is a kind of encouragement for me. now i will try to pump out after each latch on from andrea.

can i ask can we still eat spicy food? will spicy food reduce our milk ss? just curious. haha..

Sputnik,

Whatever u said I hv gone through it myself. My elder girl was in nicu for a wk and had very weak suckling, she could hardly latch n tat's how I ended up expressing n feeding her n getting caught up in the ML game.

I hv gone through all the sacrifices to increase ss as well, pumping n eating (even though I'm a SAHM, I also hv to do tat otherwise I cannot find time to pump or eat). I've even bottle fed my bb and pump at the same time.

I know it is extremely tiring which is why I am also trying to encourage mummies here by pointing out the fact tat by latching n pumping, u r in fact increasing yr ss to a level enough to feed more than one bb. For those mummies who can do tat, it is certainly an accomplishment for them but for mummies who can't, it is nothing to feel bad abt and there's nothing wrong if they hv to supplement ith FM.

Whisp, this is the rocker I bought. Get it at toysrus for $149.90. Taka baby fair selling it at $159.90.

http://m.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?st=7596&e=product&pid=52494&pcat=bg_seats_bouncers_mobile

Talking abt bm supply, i started taking fenugreek and it does work! I'm pumping 160ml every 5hrs now. Not a lot compared to some of u but it has maintained my supply. I still give my bb 1-2 feeds of fm a day.

Giving fm is perfectly ok if ur bm ss is low but there's jus this stereotype that makes us mummies feel tat fm is bad for bb. Imagine we all grew up with fm too! Arent we healthy n strong too?

Hi Sputnik,

how do u get ur bb to drink the de-frost bm? I also having a lot of frozen milk but when I tried to give to my bb, she is rejecting it as it really taste awful, not like our fresh milk.

Currently am thinking to freeze or not... cos once a while when i thaw and heat the ebm, my bb will never drink more than 10ml.

she will even make the nauseous face like going to puke everything out!! haha! kinda cute, but making me not wanting to force her too. So in the end, just latch on.

my bb for the past few days, right after the 6-in-1 1st jab, she kept suddenly wake up screaming away!! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif] so heart pain to see her like tat. She seldom cry (with tears) but this few days, she will like suddenly tot of sth / dream of sth then wake up screaming and in fright... [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif] anyone here like that?

Charleen,

I'm also hving the same prob as you. My son refuses to drink defrosted BM. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif] End up hv to throw away and just latch him on too. Sigh

charleen - i will mix the defrosted frozen BM with chilled BM from the fridge. Don't give the defrosted one by itself. Usually i mix abt half or less using the defrosted one. I agree that the defrosted one taste and smells awful, i would not want to drink it myself! The longer it is frozen the worst the taste, that's why i am starting to use it even tho the earliest one is less than 1 mth old. I tried the defrosted one before and nearly puked... LOL. This is also why i have to make sure i hv enuf bmilk to give my gal without the need to supplement with FM, cos she is a bit fussy, and the first week when i did not hv enuf bmilk and had to supplement with FM, after she taste FM the next feed she is not happy with the BM. I was actually quite worried that she would refuse to drink the defrosted one then i will hv problems when i go back to work, but luckily she did. Now i make sure that there is some defrosted bmilk for every feed so that she will get use to it. I did not have this problem with my number 1, who basically drank anything i gave her.

Oh no, i sending my gal for 6 in 1 soon, hope she will not be affected by it.

Hi Bethel, how much fenugreek are u taking? I too 2 capsules per day for 3 times but it didnt seem to work for me. My each pump is 100-130ml every 4-5hrly. Also not alot, just enough to feed.

Same here i am only having jus enough for my gal. Waiting for my fenugreek hope it arrive today. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

ANyone has the same experience? My boy was especially cranky after his 6in1 jab... and developed low grade fever the same night and was fine thereafter. Today is the 2nd day and the area where he had his jab developed rashes. sigh dunno what's wrong...

Back